“What a Wonderful B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Antica Officina B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mandello del Lario
Antica Officina B&B
You added Antica Officina B&B to your Saves list
Cavour 8 / 12, 23826 Mandello del Lario, Italy   |
Alabaster, Alabama
“What a Wonderful B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at Antica Officina last year and I think I was their worst guest. I arrived late, unannounced but Gianni, Nena and Rodrigo made me feel at home. The location is a Moto Guzzi enthusiasts dream, close to the factory and museum. The rooms are very comfortable and the courtyard and cantina are perfect for chatting with Gianni and other guests.
I'm hoping to return again this year.

In Mandello, this is the place to stay. Thank you Gianni, Nena and Rodrigo!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My friend and I went to Lake Como last weekend and stayed at Antica Officina B&B. It was my first time in Italy and she'd been there only once previously, so neither of us really knew what to expect in Mandello. From the start, Gianni was great with communication -- he gave us advice on traveling to Mandello and even looked up train schedules for us (since they were in Italian). Turns out, my friend (who works in Zurich) couldn't get out of work early, so we couldn't arrive in Mandello until about midnight, and since there were no more trains to Mandello at that hour, Gianni came to pick us up from the train station in Lecco.

Aside from Gianni and his family being wonderful hosts, the B&B itself was a very clean and comfortable place to stay. My friend, who's pretty discerning when it comes to cleanliness, couldn't get over how spotless the room and bathroom were. We were able to sleep very comfortably on our own twin beds, and got the day started with croissants and yogurts in their kitchen/dining area every morning.

During breakfast one day, we met a young man who was living abroad but came back to Lake Como to visit (he grew up around the area). He said that the architectural style of the B&B was very unique to the Lombardia region and that we were getting a good feel for what life was like there in Mandello. The best thing about staying in Mandello was that it was close to the water (the beach and pier were only a 5-10 minute walk away, and you can take the ferry to Bellagio), but it was way less touristy than the towns on the western side of Lake Como. Gianni taught us how to use the local train system and directed us to restaurants that were bustling with locals every night.

Overall, I really felt that the price we paid to stay at the B&B was much lower than what it was worth (even though Gianni didn't charge us for it, we gave him a tip for driving us to and from the train station in Lecco). I asked Gianni about this, and he said that he wanted to bring in more customers and reviews since the B&B is relatively new. However, the low price was in no way a reflection of our great experience at the B&B. I would not hesitate to come back to stay with Gianni and his family, again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

After trawling the net for somewhere to stay on Lake Como I found this. Antica Officina is exactly the sort of place I want to stay when I visit Italy, the B&B is shared by Gianni and his wife Nena (who is Brazilian), their son and Gianni's sister and parents. On the second night Gianni organised for us to go out with his son and his friends which was really kind, we were able to sample the local spritz (an orange drink with aperol and prosecco you see everyone drinking). The place itself is exactly what you need basic but that is what we expected. Breakfast was downstairs in the cantina which had a lovely charm.

Without a shadow of a doubt its Gianni that makes this place so special, he is probably the funniest person I have ever met in my life. He is so friendly and went completely out of his way for us, making sure we had train times and giving us ideas for places to visit, he even gave us a lift to the airport on the way back because our flight was so early and charged a very small fee.

The best restaurant we went to in Mandello was Selvaggia which is very highly recommended, Gianni's sister brought us up there which was again so kind of her. This restaurant is really hard to find and I don't think we would have made it without her.

We found the b&b to be in a great location very near to the train station from where we went to Milan, Lecco, como, Bellano, Varenna (boat connection to Bellagio and Menaggio).

The only thing I will say is I genuinely think from looking at many places to stay in the area, Gianni could definitely charge more than he does and I really think this is a real gem of a place

Thanks so so much to Gianni and Nena and Rodrigo!.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Antica Officina was absolutely the best place we stayed at in Italy, our host Johnny T and his wife were fabulous. Johnny T made us feel welcome from the moment he picked us up at the train station. Once we parked our bags at his B & B, he took us on a walking tour of old and new part of Mandello del Lario. He also took our son, Kawlin, on a nature walk through the canal toward the mountain while my husband and I walked up the trail and met them at a waterfall. Breathtaking nature at it's best. He was full of information about the local area and even directed us to a restaurant that served authentic traditional Italian cuisine which he said was the best in the area and it was!! The breakfast was wonderful with the breads, cheeses, meats and he talked to us about the different foods people have for breakfast all over the world. We were surprised the second morning to find pancakes, eggs etc with real maple syrup from Canada! We are very definitely not fussy people, when in Rome after all, lol, and very touched that he went out of the way to give us a "Canadian breakfast", lol. We afre definitely returning to Mandello del Lario and are looking forward to staying with Johnny T and his family and have the pleasure of calling them our new friends.

Room Tip: If you are travelling by train, it is easier to catch the train to Lecco as Johnny T will pick you u...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

As a stopover towards our final destination we stayed here one night and had a great time. The staff was awesome: gently, enthousiastic and proud. And all for a great price. Inside, there's a small motorcycle museum.

Clean, large rooms and a very extensive breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Liberec, Liberecky Kraj, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I spend there just a little time but I fell in love with the place immediately!
There is comfortable accommodation with breakfast as you wish for reasonable price.
The town/village seems like a fairytale and you can get to lake in few minutes. If you are more interested in walking than in swimming, you can do a lot of trips around (worth to see: Varrena, Bellagio, Lecco and other) or to beautiful mountains surrounding the Lake.

On a top of that the whole family who provide this B&B are such a lovely people!

We are sure we have to come again! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Jesi, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Italian reliability and Brazilian radiance: this is the Antica Officina, a B&B beautifully managed by Gechi, Nena and the children Thiago and Rodrigo. In the heart of the historic center, just a walk from the lake, the rooms are tastefully decorated, where the charm of antique furniture blends with the objects in wrought iron worked with skill and ability by the Gechi's hands and with the linen sewn with bahian creativity and imagination by Nena.
Rooms and bathrooms are very clean with great attention to every detail. An excellent and big breakfast is served in the “taverna” (a stone local that preserves all the charm of the old cellar). If you add the museum of tools for iron, still perfectly functional, the sewing workshop, a very good value for money and, above all, the kindness and great helpfulness of the owners, for sure the Antica Officina won’t disappoint you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Antica Officina B&B? Share your experiences!