“Perfect stay on the beautiful Lake Como” 5 of 5 stars

You added Residence Giardinetto to your Saves list
Residence Giardinetto
Via Del Porto 2, 23826 Mandello del Lario, Italy   |
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay on the beautiful Lake Como”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

After reading the great reviews online I booked a stay for 3 nights on the lake before going on to Milan to meet up with a friend. My stay was perfect from the moment I arrived. The apartment was spotless, I had a huge balcony all to myself and the view was magnificent. I was a bit apprehensive about my trip as I was travelling on my own for the first time but the receptionist Renanta put me completely at ease by emailing me beforehand and then texting once I arrived with details of how to get from Milan to Mandello. I still had a little mishap and got the wrong train but she was very helpful and called me when I was lost advising me of which train to take to get back and then she even came and met me at the station. First class service all round. The area of Mandello itself is a lot quieter than some other towns, Bellagio for instance, but if you're looking to relax in a peaceful and serene environment then this is the perfect place to stay. The lido is just a short stroll from the apartment and great for swimming and there is a small beach area there too which was great as it was 35 degrees every day. I also took a day trip to Verenna and hiked up to the castle on the top of the hill. The views from up there were breathtaking but be warned - you'll definitely need to take a large bottle of water with you for the journey if the weather is as good for you as it was for me. As this is an apartment rather than a hotel you'll need to travel fully equipped with towels and toiletries, but the kitchen area is fully equipped with plates, pans and cutlery. That's if you decide to eat in - there are a number of restaurants in the area and as others have written, a small bakery next door to the apartment and two Gellato shops! All in all a really enjoyable, perfect stay. I was sad to leave and head on to Milan but in the end had a great time there too. If I had to pick between the two though I would pick Lake Como every time!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We returned to Mandello del Lario for another Moto Guzzi event,
After the long haul flight from Australia.and feeling rather secondhand, Renata's warm welcome
back to the Residence Giardinetto made us feel at home .
The apartments are still of the highest quality and at a reasonable rate for comparable accomodation.
Being located on the lake and a short walk from amenities and transport make this an ideal place to stay.
We hardly ventured away from Mandello on this trip and and had a relaxing stress free stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Fair price, friendly receptionist, breath taking views. The apartments were well-sized, modern and clean. Close to the train station too, from where you can go to lecco and then access several villages around lake como and elsewhere (milano centrale etc). Perfect for a relaxing holiday and the ice cream shop Dulcis in Fundo is just round the corner!

Room Tip: A definite must!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Live like the rich and famous. Take an apartment in the Residence Giardinetto at Mandello del Lario with balcony on the lakes edge. Well apointed and comfortable, we have been there twice now, and will be back again. You can arrive at MdeL by train or ferry, or take the 1st class express train from Milan to Varenna. MdeL is a quieter town than the more famous places on the lake, but it is also much more afordable. A good town to base yourself in and tour the lake. Take the ferry to Lecco or Belagio from almost on the doorstep, or it's a 10 minute walk to the railway station and a train to Varenna where more ferries await. There are several good restaurants nearby in the old part of the town, which is very picturesque, and a nice bar, the Al Ghez with good pizzas only less than 100 meters up the road. Bakery and ice cream shop just next door. The weekly market is so close as well
Renatta is very helpful and knowlegable, and can help with many things.
Altogether the Residence is a great place to stay and experience Lake Como.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

After a rather underwhelming experience in other accomodation we were directed to these apartments by some friends.
We booked in for six days and stayed for nine, the apartments are fantastic with the bonus of Renate making us feel at home immediately.
Excellent value for money as the centre of Mandello is a very casual 10 minute stroll away,ferry terminal to travel all over lake Como to other towns 5 minutes casual stroll.
If you explore all the streets nearbye you find some wonderful places to eat not to mention the Pizzeria, Bakery and Gelato shops just out the front door.
We will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Unit 2 Big patio with views of the lake.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Zaandam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

One of the most beautiful places to stay. The mountains and Lake Como are magnificent. The appartment is very well equipped and the hostess Renate is very friendly and helpful. A nice place for those who love nature. Mandello is not very busy, only at market and festival days. You can make nice walks along the Sentiero del Viandante. We recommend Residence Giardinetto!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

At the time we booked our stay here, we couldn't find any reviews but we thought we'd take a chance and go ahead anyway. This turned out to be the best decision! From the moment we arrived Renata made us feel most welcome and was always willing to help us out with suggestions what we should see around the lake.

The ferry stop is about a 50m walk from the apartments and the train station is about 500m, meaning you can get to wherever you want on the lake with ease. Renata also helped us hire a boat for one day and we explored the lake ourselves, which was a lot of fun.

The rooms were very clean and well equipped, though the lack of a double bed did seem a little strange. Most of the apartments appear to have a double room (two single beds) and a double sofa bed, which is not too bad as far as sofa beds go, but a proper double bed would have been appreciated!

If you don't want to use the kitchen, there is an abundance of restaurants nearby, including a fantastic restaurant on the ground floor, and we didn't find any bad food the entire week we were there. Make sure you set aside a night to go to the Mamma Ciccia restaurant nearby, I cannot recommend this place enough!

If I ever get the chance to return to Lake Como, I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Giardinetto? Share your experiences!