“Awesome value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Brunate
Miami Beach, Florida
“Awesome value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The view from this hotel is fabulous and something I didn't think possible with a low budget. You can see the whole city of Como and the lake and mountains. The free breakfast was so good! Fresh warm crossiants and the best cheese. The restaurant seems to be family run, the cook being like the "typical Italian mother." That being said the food was so delicious and obviously homemade, and she comes out to check if you like it. Rooms are clean and comfy, private bathroom, mini fridge- nothing luxery, but they are definately updated. The area is peaceful and quiet, and so conveniently close to the funicular station. Takes about 30 minutes to get down to Lake Como on leaving the hotel, but totally worth choosing to stay in beautiful Brunate over urban Como. This stay was one of the highlights of my euro trip, and the only place where I felt I got a taste of true Italian culture.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie S

Stockholm County, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This low price hotel offerd me a small but fine singel room (€60) it was clean and i slept well. The breakfast was the only negative. Brunate is the place for hiking and in the small village there little to do.

• Stayed July 2013
Pietrasanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have read the other reviews and feel that they don't represent the property. There is free parking in front of the church in what looks like a little park. We parked there all day and night, no problem. The room was clean and comfortable. The sheets and comforter on the bed were luxurious. They seemed brand new. Yes this property is at the top of a steep, windy mountain climb, but how else would one get there. If you don't want to be at the top of a mountain then don't go. You must drive through the town to the top to find this hotel. Signage could be better. The views are fabulous and there are several restaurants within walking distance or take the funicular down to Como to eat. The owner was very nice and the breakfast was good. If you need to leave before breakfast is served then one must communicate that to the owner. Breakfast starts at eight. This is a lovely little village, well worth the drive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marjorie T
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Last week all hotels in idyllic Cernobbio across from Como was overbooked.I found Vista Lago on Hotels.com sitting in a restaurant (It said 1,8 miles from Cernobbio and free breakfast) I paid the night on my smart phone, but as I punched the address into my car GPS it said 29 minutes and 11Kilometers).
After an quite extreme mountain climb, I was at my distention, but no parking facilities and poor signs already made it difficult to enjoy.
The reception was dimmed and I was met by a girl in a Pyjamas whom was watching tv annoyingly loud with a friend. She found my booking and showed my the way to an narrow elevator that would take me to what seemed to be an ok room with a shower and a window.
But the window blinds was no to open and there was a sign saying no heat. The room was already cold, and I can only fear of how cold the room will be in the winter months.
As I was leaving my room just before 7 in the morning I found No people in the reception no breakfast niether a open door... I was locked inside the worst hotel ever, and had to clim to the terrace and jump a fence to get out... I don´t know if I was just unlucky that day... But sorry I can´t recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jakob R
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our reservation said there would be free parking. There was no parking at all near the hotel. Free breakast. Nothing not even a cup of coffee offered. Staff working at hotel was much more interested in their smart phones and sleeping in than helping us out. Hotel is located in Brunate about 2000 ft. above Como. It's a very narrow super curvey not fun drive up there. There is no place to park - not even a mini car. Cute tiny quiet village. One restaurant open at night. You can take the funicular up there from Como. My suggestion is stay in Como where there's alot more going on & go up for an hour to see the view on the funicular. Our advice - AVOID the Vista Lago!!!

Room Tip: get one down in como
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked through laterooms.com and traveled to Italy for 1 night in Milan followed by 1 night in Como. Upon arriving in Milan, we received an email from laterooms saying that Vista Lago had overbooked and we had to call during business hours (Monday - Friday) for help. Instead of traveling up to Como for a relaxing weekend, we spent Saturday morning scouring the internet for somewhere else to stay, but by this time all other reasonably priced rooms were taken and we had to give up on Como completely. Despite supposedly not having any rooms, we noticed that Vista lago was still advertising rooms on laterooms.com. We have heard that some hotels now do this, keeping bookings like ours on hold up to the last minute in case somebody else cancels, it is a truly despicable way to keep people hanging on. Destroyed our weekend away, 300 Euro wasted on travel and other expenses. This is the second time in 2 years that we have had such an experience booking through laterooms, in both cases it has been hotels run by small-minded amateurs who seem to think they can pick and choose their guests up the last minute.

Room Tip: don't stay here and don't use laterooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Great view of the lake and valley from our room on the second floor. The staff were very friendly and helpful - they even opened the restaurant to make us dinner on a Monday night when everything in town was closed. Yes, the safe didn't work (as indicated by previous guests) and there isn't WiFi, but there is wired Internet in the rooms. It was warm, but we were provided with a fan when we asked. Yes, the church is next door, but the bells are beautiful and 7 am isn't too early to get up when it is hot in the summer. We couldn't hear anything from the neighbouring rooms. The room was extremely clean, and when we came back at the end of the day, all of our belongings were neatly organized for us (almost like Mom cleaned up!). Driving to Brunate is a bit of an adventure, but we had no problem leaving our car at the hotel and taking the furnacular into Como (although it is hard to buy tickets early in the day, so we recommend buying what you need when the shop is open). Of all of the places we stayed in Europe, the service here was by far the best and the rooms are a really great value for the money. I would highly recommend. This hotel was the best part of our trip to the Lake Como area.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunate
Bellavista Boutique Hotel
Hotel Orso Bruno
Hotel Orso Bruno
#1 of 1 in Carate Urio
4.5 of 5 stars 141 reviews

Been to Vista Lago? Share your experiences!