“Fantastic view, clean room, but Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Vista Lago
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Via Roma, 22100 Brunate, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Brunate
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fantastic view, clean room, but Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Last week all hotels in idyllic Cernobbio across from Como was overbooked.I found Vista Lago on Hotels.com sitting in a restaurant (It said 1,8 miles from Cernobbio and free breakfast) I paid the night on my smart phone, but as I punched the address into my car GPS it said 29 minutes and 11Kilometers).
After an quite extreme mountain climb, I was at my distention, but no parking facilities and poor signs already made it difficult to enjoy.
The reception was dimmed and I was met by a girl in a Pyjamas whom was watching tv annoyingly loud with a friend. She found my booking and showed my the way to an narrow elevator that would take me to what seemed to be an ok room with a shower and a window.
But the window blinds was no to open and there was a sign saying no heat. The room was already cold, and I can only fear of how cold the room will be in the winter months.
As I was leaving my room just before 7 in the morning I found No people in the reception no breakfast niether a open door... I was locked inside the worst hotel ever, and had to clim to the terrace and jump a fence to get out... I don´t know if I was just unlucky that day... But sorry I can´t recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Our reservation said there would be free parking. There was no parking at all near the hotel. Free breakast. Nothing not even a cup of coffee offered. Staff working at hotel was much more interested in their smart phones and sleeping in than helping us out. Hotel is located in Brunate about 2000 ft. above Como. It's a very narrow super curvey not fun drive up there. There is no place to park - not even a mini car. Cute tiny quiet village. One restaurant open at night. You can take the funicular up there from Como. My suggestion is stay in Como where there's alot more going on & go up for an hour to see the view on the funicular. Our advice - AVOID the Vista Lago!!!

Room Tip: get one down in como
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked through laterooms.com and traveled to Italy for 1 night in Milan followed by 1 night in Como. Upon arriving in Milan, we received an email from laterooms saying that Vista Lago had overbooked and we had to call during business hours (Monday - Friday) for help. Instead of traveling up to Como for a relaxing weekend, we spent Saturday morning scouring the internet for somewhere else to stay, but by this time all other reasonably priced rooms were taken and we had to give up on Como completely. Despite supposedly not having any rooms, we noticed that Vista lago was still advertising rooms on laterooms.com. We have heard that some hotels now do this, keeping bookings like ours on hold up to the last minute in case somebody else cancels, it is a truly despicable way to keep people hanging on. Destroyed our weekend away, 300 Euro wasted on travel and other expenses. This is the second time in 2 years that we have had such an experience booking through laterooms, in both cases it has been hotels run by small-minded amateurs who seem to think they can pick and choose their guests up the last minute.

Room Tip: don't stay here and don't use laterooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Great view of the lake and valley from our room on the second floor. The staff were very friendly and helpful - they even opened the restaurant to make us dinner on a Monday night when everything in town was closed. Yes, the safe didn't work (as indicated by previous guests) and there isn't WiFi, but there is wired Internet in the rooms. It was warm, but we were provided with a fan when we asked. Yes, the church is next door, but the bells are beautiful and 7 am isn't too early to get up when it is hot in the summer. We couldn't hear anything from the neighbouring rooms. The room was extremely clean, and when we came back at the end of the day, all of our belongings were neatly organized for us (almost like Mom cleaned up!). Driving to Brunate is a bit of an adventure, but we had no problem leaving our car at the hotel and taking the furnacular into Como (although it is hard to buy tickets early in the day, so we recommend buying what you need when the shop is open). Of all of the places we stayed in Europe, the service here was by far the best and the rooms are a really great value for the money. I would highly recommend. This hotel was the best part of our trip to the Lake Como area.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

rooms reasonable, ikea style furniture, basic. v dusty under the bed and dust and hairs in the wardrobe. no air conditioning so you will fry. if you open the window, the church bells next door will wake you up nice and early at 7. ask for top floor rooms as lake view not exactly accurate, there is a large house in front that obscures most of the view. safe doesn't work, blocked by previous guest, staff not interested to help. bathroom v small, why install a bidet to stop you getting into the shower? corridor to the lift is somehow weird. no interesting features to remind you this is an old building. staff don't speak english and misled us. breakfast ok at first but then same cake and old salami meats appeared again and again. some fruits ok some just v tired. Will I go back? No!

Room Tip: ask for top floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We booked 2 nights here on our way home from Ukraine, and paid in advance for a lake view room. When we arrived there were no lake view rooms available, and the room we did get had no fan, no working refridgerator, and no wireless internet as they previously advertised. Glad we only stayed 2 nights as we really got ripped off.....I thought this level of dishonesty only happened in third world countries, but vista llago established a new standard. This place should be called vista no vista.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Vista Lago in Brunate because we wanted somewhere different. This area certainly offers that, overlooking Como it has views that stretch for miles.
To get to the hotel from the train station it is best to get a taxi to the funicular if you don't have your own transport as it is quite a walk with luggage (we know from experience!). I would also recommend getting anything that you may need from the supermarkets or shops before heading up to Brunate as we could not really find any grocery type shops up there.
The funicular runs reasonably frequently and is incredibly steep, if you are nervous of heights (as I am) it is is a bit daunting. Why did we book it then you may ask.....well I didn't really think it would be that steep! Der!
Anyway once you get to the top Brunate and the views are spectacular and it is so much quieter than Como. The Hotel is a short walk and the owners son (maybe) was there to greet us, our room was small for three, but the view made up for it.
The restaurant was not open for dinner and we had a bit of trouble finding something that was at about 7.30-8pm. But we did and it was OK.
Breaky was OK nothing too special but filled us up.
Brunate and the Hotel were a really wonderful place to stay, I would certainly recommend going for a walk around Brunate to see all the amazing Villas on the hillside. Truly wonderful!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Vista Lago? Share your experiences!