“Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Gargnano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I am a restaurant owner, and consider myself fair when critiquing restaurants. However this establishment went well beyond my expectations. Everything that needed to its box ticked done so with 5 stars. The attention to detail on the food, the extensive wine list, (almost simply to big to make good informed choices), The ambience, The views. My son has a Gluten free diet, and without making prior arrangements asked what the chances were of getting a Gluten free option, not only was this attended to in a discreet but efficient manner, he received promptly a basket of gluten free bread options without prompting. This dinner was to impress and thank some dear relations of mine from Lago D Garda, Sostaga not only impressed them but my family to. Cant wit to come back next year. I must say however the only slight negative was the fact we struggled to get our wine deliver to our glass promptly and had to wait to get another bottle on the table. we would have easily consumed another 2 bottles of good red had attention been paid to our glasses and the fact they were more times empty than full. However let this not detract from the whole experience which was well done.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Villa S, Proprietario at Ristorante Sostaga, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review . Our vision is to create a place where guests can enjoy the natural beauty of Villa Sostaga, while experiencing good service and dining in a comfortable environment. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here. Also thank you for your comments on the service of the wine. We consider carefully each constructive comment from our guests. We hope to welcome you back to Villa Sostaga in the future.
Gabriele & Gabriella Seresina and the staff of Villa Sostaga

Paris, France
“Amazing view, and gluten free friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had a fantastic evening here. Food was excellent, upon informing the wait staff on arrival I was gluten free they quickly helped me decide what to have, and how they could change the way they prepared the food to ensure it was gluten free.
This was outstanding.. and to top it off they gave me my own basket of gfree bread.

The view is spectacular, one of the best I've seen of Lake Garda.

For a fine dining type of restaurant, the value for money is pretty outstanding.

You'd pay 3 times this price in Paris, and without the view!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Villa S, Proprietario at Ristorante Sostaga, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us at our Restaurant and you found our staff to be friendly, efficient and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards, Gabriele Seresina
Jersey, Channel Islands
“Great food in a fabulous location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the nearby Lefay Resort and decided to walk the half hour or so to try this restaurant. The food was very good, the service leisurely (some would call it slow) and the setting and views superb. There is a very extensive wine list and our English speaking waiter was helpful and informative enabling us to select a good local red. They offer a seven course tasting menu at €60 with a selection of three starters, two first dishes a second dish and a dessert. We ate great food from the a la carte menu; the homemade pasta with scallops and mushrooms, breaded perch and duck in honey were all good and the desserts especially memorable, we opted for warm chocolate tart with strawberry ice cream and coconut and pineapple tart with mint ice cream. We sat in a classy gazebo with great views across Lake Garda. The hotel and grounds looked splendid. Our best meal in Lake Garda.

Visited August 2013
Villa S, Proprietario at Ristorante Sostaga, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear guest
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining out at Villa Sostaga and that you appreciated our tasting Menu as well as the great views over lake Garda. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our restaurant again in the future.
Gabriele & Gabriella Seresina and the staff of Villa Sostaga
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent food, setting and service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just returned from a one week stay at Lefay Spa Hotel (very near Sostaga Restaurant). We ate here (Sostaga) twice during the week and both my wife and I were impressed on every level. Setting amazing (try to get table on terrace) atop a mountain 600m above Lake Garda, food excellent - fresh, seasonal and authentic, service very good and not a crazy mark up on wine. Overall well worth a visit, a must if you are staying at Lefay. If staying in or around Gargnano the trip up is quite a drive, tortuous mountain road...not for the faint hearted after dark! If you like your food though you will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Villa S, Proprietario at Ristorante Sostaga, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for this wonderful review on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your meal, our service and the beautiful view on Lake Garda. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Gabriele Seresina and the staff of Villa Sostaga
“Great view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Well if your looking for a restaurant with a view look no further. The problem i had with this restaurant is 2 fold. Firstly the cab ride there was 50 euro and 60 back so you have to factor that in as well. Next both there and back the ride is totally nauseating and i mean really. This had never happened to me before but the turns can get anyone sick so that's the second factor. Now the food it was good not great but very decent. to rate this number 1 when you can eat at so many other real number ones is amazing. The view is great but for an additional 100 plus euro and getting sick both ways to me doesn't cut it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest

I cannot understand your disappointment about the cost of the taxi ride that you paid to come to dine to Villa Sostaga as the normal cost for a taxi ride from Gargnano to Villa Sostaga and back is € 50. So if you are angry about paying the taxi too much you will better complain to whom has booked the taxi for you and made you pay 60 € more than what the ride should normally cost.

When I first saw you arrive to the restaurant I can believe you had some stomach problem. I also cannot understand how you made it back to Gargnano at the end of your meal as, at your table of 4 people, you drank in total 8 vodka orange (served in a large coke glass with 70% vodka and 30% orange juice) 2 bottles of champagne and 1 bottle of white wine. Also I must add that you had a rude attitude towards my staff but probably that was caused by your drinking.
I remind you that your comment on our restaurant as nr. One restaurant in Gargnano is the result of a few thousand people who, during the last years, have gratified us by coming back to our restaurant and to our hotel.
I hope that your next reviews on trip advisor about other colleague restaurant wills be more respectful.
Gabriele & Gabriella Seresina