“Would love to stay again” 5 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Gargnano
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bayeux, France
“Would love to stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband surprised me with a two-night stay at Lefay Resort. We have stayed in spa hotels before although never in Italy and we weren't sure what to expect. From the minute we arrived, until the time we (sadly) had to leave, we felt this resort was well worth the expense. The staff are caring and professional - a special mention must go to the wonderful receptionist at the spa (and I'm so sorry I didn't get her name - she was so helpful! One of the younger members of staff, she had worked in my native country of New Zealand and she absolutely went out of her way to find the right appointment for me.
Our room was lovely - impeccably clean and beautifully spacious. We ordered room service both nights we were there (reluctant to get out of our bath-robes!). I've eaten room-service meals in all corners of the globe and I can tell you, it's difficult to deliver a perfect eggs Benedict within 20 minutes at the busiest time on a Saturday night. Everything we ate was delicious - from the humble sandwich by the pool to the memorable eggs Bene.
The breakfast buffet was more than adequate, the views, simply spectacular.
We spent most of our time by the pool - not because we are sun-worshippers but because it's so difficult to move away from the breath-taking view over the lake. The spa facility itself is perfectly clean and well-organized.
The only point I might make is that the spa and pool area could have an over-crowded feel at peak times. If (like us) you avidly avoid crowds, then enjoy this resort at the end-of-season, as we did. The outdoor pool is closed from October so we were lucky to enjoy it while it was still open for the summer season.
I would most definitely recommend staying here - perfect for a short getaway when you need to unwind. I would love to be able to go again.
Oh - and thank you to the staff who somehow spotted it was my birthday!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

When you are planning a vacation, I think that it is important to do some research about the location you are going to visit and the options available. Hubby and I knew that we wanted a relaxing place to stay between his work commitments and before we headed to Venice. The Lefay did it for us.
We drove from Perugia to Lefay. Yes, as another Tripadvisor review stated, my trusty GPS took us down a wrong path. We drove up the wrong road for a bit and turned around, My recommendation is to NOT listen to your GPS but simply drive into Gargnano and follow the well posted signs. Yes, the road has many switch backs and turns but with patience you arrive to the gates of the resort. Yes, there is a gate to the resort and yes, they ask you IF you have a reservation. Once we arrive at the resort, we left our car behind for two days. The shuttle to the town worked perfect for us and the driver was excellent.
As members of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, our room was upgraded. We have found that membership to this and the Leading Hotels of the World more than worth it. You get so many benefits. Our package include a free lunch and a short spa treatment which we took advantage of.
Our room was perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the big soaking tub became my best friend. Our balcony overlooked the mountains that surround the resort. Hubby and I are NOT gym kind of people. We like to walk and there were many walking trails for us. There are also great places to just sit and look at the beautiful surrounds. I was rather surprised that we seemed to be the only people taking advantage of this but did not regret the peace and solitude of just us walking together.
Breakfast was a delight. The buffet is extensive and has many healthy choices including a marvelous gentleman that does custom omelets/eggs, Yes, it difficult to decide exactly what you want to eat while you are overlooking one of the most spectacular views of the mountains and Lake Garda.
For us, it was nearly perfect staying at the Lefay. I guess if I was forced to say something negative, the service for lunch could be very time consuming. Keep in mind, we are American and long waits between courses are not something we are used to. I am not used to having a lunch that lasts over an hour let along an hour and half. Yes, the food was perfectly prepared but I found the length of time a negative. I think of slow food as the time it takes to grow it not the time it takes to be on a plate before me.
Without a doubt we would return to the Lefay in the future,

edinita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The best spa hotel where I have ever been so far! I really don't have anything bad to say. Stunning view from the pools, the garden, the bedrooms are huge but still comfortable. I would recommend for those who would like to have a nice couple of days relaxing, full of treatments, not just mingling around the place. The hotel is above the village, too far to walk down and look around, plus this place is really done to BE there, not like a city hotel with a spa. We booked a package with candlelight (or something similar) massage (my skin was softer then ever for days), buffet breakfast and dinner. The restaurants are nice, but I think they focus more on eating healthy than eating a lot. If you are looking for a pizza go down to the village for dinner.
The staff was super nice, whatever questions or problems we had they solved everything in a minute.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Simply wonderful bedroom, pools, spa facilities, gardens, views, and buffet breakfast. And very friendly and helpful staff. But we preferred dinner at the nearby and characterful La Sostaga: better quality food and value. Incidentally, it may be obvious, but this is a place for people who want a top-notch spa, not for those who just want a very good hotel. Bathrobe is the standard attire!

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake. Ground floor rooms have patio/terrace, others have balcony. Ours (302) had...
Morristown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Lefay Resort and Spa the nights of September 7, 8 & 9, 2013 primarily based on reviews we read on TripAdvisor. The resort is beautiful but ISOLATED. It is four miles up an unlit narrow mountain roadway with blind curves and switchbacks every few hundred yards from the nearest lakeside town. The resort is well maintained and has an excellent view of Lake Garda. The included-in-the-rate breakfast is exceptional in variety, quality, service and cleanliness. The wait staff throughout the property was efficient, attractive friendly and helpful. We only ate dinner once at the property and the food was average at best with one of the entrees (sirloin steak) inedible. The resort has two major drawbacks:

1. There is NO AIR CONDITIONING. As we were there in early September, the nights were cool so we slept with the door to the terrace wide open and shared our room with the local insect life both flying and crawling.

2. The resort is truly ISOLATED. One of the main reasons for visiting Lake Garda is to enjoy the Lake. One of the main reasons to visit Italy is to enjoy the warm and friendly people and the remarkable food and wine. During the hours of 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM the resort provides a shuttle to the lakeside town of Gargnano. After 7:00 PM the shuttle is 35 Euros per couple each way. After our first night's experience with the cuisine at Lefay, we decided to eat in Gargnano as the town is home to some very fine restaurants. I was not overjoyed to add $90.00 to the price of our meal, but felt if my wife and I were going to enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner, I was not going to risk the drive back up the mountain afterwards. The third night we were at the resort we booked the shuttle to take us to town to meet some friends for dinner. Just as the shuttle was leaving with my wife and I in the shuttle, we were told the shuttle might not be able to bring us back to the hotel. After we finished dinner, all four couples asked the owner of the restaurant if he could contact our respective hotels to pick us up. The three other couples' hotels readily agreed, Lefay refused and offered no help at all to get us back to the hotel. The the owner of the restaurant explained to us that it was very difficult to get a taxi to go to Lefay and that he would ask one of his contacts at another hotel to take us up, which he did. As I was thanking him for his efforts to get us back to Lefay, he passed the comment that although Lefay calls itself a five star hotel they were in the eyes of the local hospitality industry "a no star hotel". He gave me his card and told me to call him the next time I visit Lake Garda for a better hotel at a more reasonable price.

Unfortunately, we had prepaid our nightly room rate of 510 Euros per night and thus changing to another hotel after our arrival was not an option. I would not stay at this hotel for 50 Euros per night.

If you wish to spend all your time in slippers and a robe at a spa with beautiful; views than this is your place, otherwise be careful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Alcide L, Direttore generale at Lefay Resort & Spa Lago di Garda, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to fill this online review. We are delighted to learn that you were generally satisfied with the standard of the building and the quality of service rendered during your stay.

Nevertheless the "drawbacks" highlighted in your review do not really match the reality, therefore we would like to give all the readers our point of view.

As far as your comment about the Resort's location is concerned, we would like to clarify that the property is located on a hill above the village of Gargnano, just 6 km far from the main Lake Road (Gardesana), which during the summer season is crowded and noisy. Many guests believe that our location is a great advantage over most of the other lake properties (which are often located very close to this Road), as it offers a stunning view as well as a sense of peace and exclusivity. Moreover, on our web page, under the section “Location” we clearly show on a Google Maps where our Resort is situated

It is false to state that we have no Air Conditioning; the Resort is equipped with a modern and innovative eco-acclimatization system that works with low temperature radiant systems installed within the ceilings and the floors. This provides a twofold benefit: on one hand, no air draught is generated and on the other hand no noises are disturbing our guests during their stay. In the summer our rooms’ temperature is set on 24°C and our guests have the possibility to increase it or decrease it by 3 °C. Therefore, it is possible that you perceived the room as warm or hot just because you did not feel a straight draught of cool air, typical of traditional air conditioning systems. We assure you that most of our guests consider our heating and cooling systems to be very comfortable, ecological and innovative.

With regards to the Transfer, the truth is that when Guests book this Service for dining outside the property, we always ask them if they want to secure the return transfer because, on the contrary, they run the risk of being stuck at the Restaurant after dinner and wait quite a long to get a public Taxi, as this service is very poor in our area. We did the same also in your case but you refused to confirm the return transfer because you were hoping to find a “cheaper” solution directly down at the village.

Finally we would like to pass over your (or the Restaurant Owner’s) comment relating the rating of our hotel compared to the ones of the local properties; as a matter of fact, Lefay Resort & SPA is the first Hotel on Lake Garda and in the region of Brescia to gain the prestigious 5-star Superior rating certification and in only five years since its opening has received more accolades and awards than any other property in the Area.

Best regards

Alcide Leali Jr.
Managing Director
Lefay Resorts
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for our Honeymoon and it was perfect. I am a personal trainer by trade so we were looking for a hotel that offered everything. The Gym & studio class were fantastic. You don't have to be a health nut to enjoy this beautiful hotel, you can relax in your dressing gown by the pool whilst sipping a cocktail. The spa is also amazing and I had the best facial of my life !

The breakfast buffet is as healthy or naughty as you want it to be, it was just great to have the option to eat healthy if you wanted to.

The hotel put on a shuttle service to the town, which is very handy as it is a very windy road up to the Hotel. Although the benefit of being so high is the fantastic views of the lake.

The hotel recommended a trail walk, which was a great way to see more of the lake ( took approx. 2 hours )

I can't rate this hotel enough- the staff were brilliant, the food was amazing and the views were beautiful. We are planning to come back for our anniversary.

Mr & Mrs Sedgwick

Room Tip: They are all facing the lake, we had a suite which was beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed 7 nights in this wonderful hotel. Everything is so perfect:
- the rooms are really big and you will find a good quality of towels, bathrobes and also shampoo etc. are better than normal (we stayed at room 303 - it´s near to the Spa and Restaurants and the terrace is very private).
- the breakfast is typical italian: good cheese selection, but also eggs on every style, great prosecco, ...
- Spa: we enjoyed the saunas and steambath every day. So perfect!
- We used also the Gym (with a nice view) and the pools ( one is a real training pool with 20 meters, a little bit cold, and one is 32 Cel. warm for relaxing).

We were only one evening at the Trattoria-Restaurant. It is good - but you will find better ones in the distance of 20 km. If you are willing to drive - you will get real italian food for good money ( look at our other recomm.).

- And of course, we enjoyed also the Bar for an Aperitiv or Degistiv. The main bartender is so nice and we got good cocktail-recommandations. For example: a liquid Tiramisu called "La dolce Mamma"! Hmmmm....

- The staff at the reception helped us a lot and arranged so much - THANKS FOR ALL!

Room Tip: Try Room 303 - private terrace for sunbathing
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lefay Resort & Spa Lago di Garda? Share your experiences!