“GR8 FOR MALPENSA AIRPORT, FREE BUS, GOOD SERVICE.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport

You added Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Francesco de Pinedo - Case Nuove, 21019 Somma Lombardo, Italy   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Somma Lombardo
UK
“GR8 FOR MALPENSA AIRPORT, FREE BUS, GOOD SERVICE.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This is a good hotel for those coming into or out of Malpensa airport, not a holiday destination though. Its clean and comfortable, breakfast was ok, and the free bus service was very good. Helpful staff, would recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa was a nightmare. The problem stemmed from my attempt to ask a simple question: “Why was I being charged twice for the same stay?”

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 I booked one room with two guests for one night (Wed. May 19th). I booked this room online at your website. The fee was 81euros (or 125dollars). My bank statement later showed the following charge:

04/19/10 Visa Purchase - Albergo Holiday Somma Lombar - $225.99

This amount was more than double the exchange rate at the time. I called reservations for an explanation, and was told to contact the hotel directly. I attempted to get clarification from the Malpensa Holiday Inn, but the language barrier prevented this. So I decided to resolve the matter in person upon arrival.

My wife and I arrived in Malpensa and tried in vain to get answers from the front office. I asked four different guest service agents over a two day period (including the general manager) to explain the charges. Responses I received ranged from “I have no idea” to “There is no such charge.” The manager suggested that I “call my travel agent,” even after I told her that I booked the room myself. The staff’s lack of answers was matched only by their blatant indifference.

On my laptop I had saved a copy of my bank statement with the room charge, as well as an email confirmation of the reservation. We asked the front desk to print the documents. They refused, insisting that we use the “business center” computer at a cost of 20euro an hour. 20 euro to print two pages? The whole situation was just too much for us.

We later called worldwide reservations and pleaded with someone to contact the hotel and get to the bottom of it. The courteous phone representative was the first Holiday Inn employee who actually wanted to help us. And apparently, the phone call touched a nerve with the hotel manager. At check-out she essentially chastised my wife for going “over her head” by contacting corporate. Unbelievable.

I have been a loyal Holiday Inn customer for years. So I am well aware that this incident is not typical of every location. But my experience at Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport was such a humiliating nightmare that it soured my Italian vacation. Be warned.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Arrived on a flight about 1am at Malpensa. As we'd heard from other reviewers, the night bus (free) does not take you to the hotel directly, but drops you off on the road about 400 meters from the hotel. Although the hotel does not make this clear on their website, I can't complain as other reviewers have highlighted this.

Luckily it was a clear night but it would have been pretty bad carrying a heavy suitcase that distance in the pouring rain! Equally I'm not sure a single female would be particularly happy walking along a dark-ish side road at 2am.

Our room itself was fine, comfortable bed and good shower. Breakfast was not the best, although we went down 1 hour before the end of the service, a lot of items were finished and the room was a mess.

Upon check-out at 11.15, we asked for a place on the courtesy bus which was due to leave at 11.30 for the airport. However we were told it was full (no mention from reception the night before that we should actually book a spot). As a result we'd have to wait for the next service at 12. This was no use at all as we had a bus service to Switzerland booked for 12.15 leaving from T1.

So we had to trail our bags back the 400m to the normal airport bus-stop. A lot of fun in 35c heat I can tell you!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lodz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

A typical airport hotel. Provides transportation to and from Milan Malpensa airport. A small room with standard equipment (LCD TV, desk, kettle). Paid Internet. The price includes breakfast. Bathroom includes shower and is clean. Service nice hotel, very quick check-in and check-out. I recommend in the event of an early departure. But far from the city - about 45 minutes by car.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Good:
1. Very close to the airport
2. rooms are very basic but clean and comfortable
8. No mini bar

Less good
(nothing was really bad)
1. View pretty non-descript
2. No restaurant for dinner, but the "snack s" they had were great. Lasagna was excellent.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

stayed here so that we could fly out next day. its good for that. rooms are just what you expect and nothing more. rate was average. hotel did not accomodate our bed preference. my husband and i had to sleep in twin beds. just enough towels for two in the room. soap provided was gross and cheap. we booked on expedia and hotel did not recognize that we wanted a king bed. tv channels terrible. restaurant for breakfast was good. floor dirty and sticky. tables not cleaned fast at all. selection typical for holiday inn express. this is no frills.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

they provide shuttle from airport to the hotel. Can take the shuttle bus from Milan train station to airport and get their shuttle. Rooms were very nice and good value. The breakfast was outstanding with lots of choices. This is way to go if you have a morning flight out.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport? Share your experiences!