“Close to the airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport

You added Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Francesco de Pinedo - Case Nuove, 21019 Somma Lombardo, Italy   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Somma Lombardo
Riverton, New Jersey
“Close to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Clean hotel, helpful staff and close to airport, however the bus pickup location was very confusing. All other hotel vans picked up at one spot but this Holiday Inn picked up across the street. No signage and all airport personnel were unaware that they had a different pickup spot. Waited 45 minutes because we missed a couple van runs. Even though we are Priority members, we still had to pay for wifi. Very good included breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gotzis, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel is 2 minutes by car from the terminal of the airport. the rooms are very clean and Spacious. there is an open bar for drinks and food until midnight which is very convenient. the only bad thing is that the Media and WI-FI is not free!!!

Orange Park
1,379 helpful votes 1,379 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

TERRIBLE stay at this hotel and I should have known better since I had problems with the hotel the last time I stayed there. I had made my reservations in May 2012 in anticipation of a trip I had to Italy in October 2012. At that time I had printed out my hotel confirmation and took in with me to Italy. While in Italy I also printed out the confirmation email the Holiday Inn sent to me the day before my hotel stay. When I got to the Holiday Inn Express Malpensa, the hotel reception staff had no record of my reservation. When I showed them the 2 confirmation forms, they called the hotel manager over and she all but accused us of lying about the reservation even though she had the same 2 copies of the confirmation from Holiday Inn. She then tried to offer us a lesser quality room despite my reservation being for a king bed leisure room. After I refused this she made 2 telephone calls, blamed Holiday Inn central reservations for the mistake and begrudgingly gave us the room we had paid for. I had problems with the room key and had to call down to the front desk before it would work. Shortly after finally settling into my room I went down to the lobby to print out my airline boarding pass for the next morning. Note the hotel website states “You can print your boarding pass at our handy 24-hour Internet point in the Lobby.” What it fails to tell you is the hotel wants to charge you 5 euros to get the password to use the computer. This service is normally free, especially since this is a business hotel that is heavily tied to the airport travelers. Note last year it was free. I later asked the front desk staff if I could get change for a 5 euro bill so that I would have 1 or 2 euro coins for the tip. They said they had no money for change. The next morning I asked the reception staff if they had gotten any 1 or 2 euro coins so that I could change out my 5 euro bill for tips. Again I was told they did not but at least this time the person referred me to a coin machine hidden in a different part of the lobby that could give me change. I am not sure why the person the night before could not have told me about this machine. Room itself is rather stark but functional (if you like plastic cups, no extra pillows or blankets and a liquid soap dispenser at the sink and shower vice bar soap. Note that the liquid soap dispenser is very awkward to use if you have any tendinitis or arthritis or other difficulty squeezing a semi-hard bottle (as it was not a pump bottle which would have at least been easier). Hotel is not in a very good location as there is NOTHING around it. When I asked about restaurants I was told of only one in the area and that was a small pizza place that was not in the best of neighborhoods, especially if you had no car and had to walk to/from it in the dark.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Valebilla, Proprietario at Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear RLWOrangePark, I would like to introduce me. I represent the ownership of this hotel and we are really sorry to read about your bad experience. It is our primary goal to satisfy all our guests and we regret to read this bad review.
First of all I'd like to let you know that I spoke with all the colleagues, and I have to inform you that you did not spoke with the hotel manager, but you have spoken with a receptionist. Unfortunately we had not received any info about your reservation, (prrobably due to a technical hitch?) that is the reason why the colleague told you there was not a reservation under your name. Anyhow, of course, we have offer you immediately a room. But we have to distance ourselves from what you write regarding "accusation". All our staff is always nice and polite with our guests.
About the boarding card printing, I confirm you that the hotel give the possibility to print the docs, but this does not include a free internet connection. As clearly written on our website, the internet connection is not free. Pls. consider that the payment for the internet connection is widespread in a lot of countries and main cities all over the world. We are anyhow trying to close a new contract with the internet provider, in order to offer a free wi-fi connection to our guests.
About the change of the coins, we confirm you that the cashier try always to satisfy guests needs, but it can happen to have no coins to change. About the "coin machine" you describe, I can say that the only machine we have in our lobby are slot machines: they are not made for change money, but probably the front officer suggested you to use it in order to help you.
About the general aspect and comfort of the room, I can guarantee that we fully respect "Holiday Inn Express" furnishing. Pls. consider that the hotel opened in 2009 and a valued architect followed with care the whole design of the hotel and we constantly check that everything work well.
About the location, as the name itself says, we are an airport hotel. This is our strenght, but for sure we can not be located in a city center. Inside in the hotel's bar we offer a lot of ready dishes, otherwise there is Restaurant "La Brughiera", just 5 min walk from Holiday Inn Express. In order to have fun we suggest to take our free shuttle bus going to Malpensa Airport; there you can catch a train to Milan Downtown and enjoy the city.
Ridgefield, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Overall pretty good - fast check in and check out, clean and modern rooms, near airport, decent (not great0 breakfast. Complaints would be no free wi-fi unless you are a member of their hotel club which should be included especially since people need to check flight status, check in on line, connect with people back home re travel plans, etc. They don't have a decent sit down restaurant or big bar or relax area which would be expected of a hotel that most people are going to stay at for 1 night right before an early morning flight. Area around hotel is industrial and without a GPS I don't know how we would have even found it. I'm a fan of Holiday Inn Express - this was was OK but lacked some requirements in an airport hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tianjin, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

the holiday inn express chain also gives in this location a straight, clean and good value performance. as we were in milan with the car it was not a problem for us to make the
way to milan for the visit. breakfast is basic as always with this chain, but parking and internet connection is good. the rooms are modern equipped according to the express standards of this chain

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Piedmont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Perfect location for us coming in late and picking up a car the following afternoon at the airport. Easy access to the Malpensa Express via hotel shuttle service. Triple room was not large, but completely adequate. This was the quietest airport hotel room we've ever stayed at. We were able to store our luggage for part of the day while we went into Milan. The best pizza restaurant 2 blocks away, recommended by the efficient and pleasant staff. Very clean and modern. Breakfast/coffee was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights in total. First night before our long flight to Brazil and the second night one week later. We found the room clean, comfortable and isolated from noise. Breakfast is simple with few options but we did not starve :)
The only drawback is that the hotel lacks of free wi-fi service and tv but it was not a big deal for us since we planned to stay there only for a short while.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport? Share your experiences!