“Hardly a boutique hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Talardy Hotel
The Roe, St. Asaph LL17 0HY, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in St. Asaph
Essex
“Hardly a boutique hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed at the Talardy on a business trip to North Wales and found the whole experience to be generally unsatisfactory.

The room was of moden design and had recently been renovated, the quality of the furnitue was generally good with a comfortable bed. There was no main light and the bedside lights did not provide adequate illumination for the size of room.

The room initally had a slight musty smell but over the course of the evening this increased to a strong smell of drains whcih may have been coming from the large gap between the toilet waste and the floor (partly blocked with toliet paper),

The bathroom was clean but lack of attention to detail in the renovation had left unsightly repairs to the door and the bathroom door lock was a very cheap small bolt.

The shower had very little pressure and flow and took a long time to get to temperature.

The bedroom corridor had a worn frayed carpet and one wall light was flashing.

I visited the bar on two occasions - on the first I enquired what real alse were available (there was two pumps) - neither bar man was able to answer and did not offer to find out. On the second visit one of the bar staff had to visit the kitchen to resolve a customer complaint and the other bar man took 15 minutes to serve 4 customers with simple drinks. No apology for the delay was offered.

Service in the breakfast room was adequate but the bacon had obviously been pre cooked and left to get tough. The toast was barely warm.

When I came to check out I was handed my £85.00 bill (room and breakfast) but was not asked how if i had enjoyed my stay. Unfortunately I had a taxi waiting and was unable to address my concerns with the hotel.

I will certainly not visit this hotel again as attention to detail is poor and customers do not appear to be important to the staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dumfries
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Rooms were very spacious and clean. Staff friendly and helpful. Good touring base for N Wales and next to M5. We ate in the Chestnut Inn and the food was excellent. Sorry to leave.

• Stayed August 2009
west mids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

This really is a fantastic hotel to stay in if you have children. We stayed in the African Theme room which our children loved, it was also luxurious for us too.
The restaurant was fabulous. It was really nice to eat in a restaurant with a play area that wasn't boil in the bag food.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Like North Wales this hotel oozes character and charm. Myself and my partner trawled the internet for a decent hotel and read reviews and I've got to say I think some of the Trip Advisor reviews on the Talardy Hotel were a tad unfair and petty. The staff as we checked in were organised and helpful and offered to assist us with our bags as my partner has a leg in plaster. We chose the Roman room and were not disappointed, it was spacious with a sofa to lounge on and watch the LCD TV, or listen to the CD player. The bed was enormous, we could both be 'starfish' and still have space (lol). The bathroom was a good size with a powerful spa bath and shower. There were all the things you would expect in a hotel and more. The pub was pleasant, my partners' lamb steak (11.95) was the best he had ever tasted. I had a steak burger and chips, gorgeous (9.95). We loved the Cellars restaurant within the hotel, the food was top notch, we had the 3 course midweek menu at £19.50 each and sampled the good choice of wine. There was an array of breakfasts to choose from and the staff were friendly and courteous, we felt they were slightly stretched. I asked the cleaners if I could have a peak at some of the other themed rooms, I saw the Egyptian, African and Celtic rooms, all spacious and enchanting. The location of the hotel is also a plus, we ventured into St Asaph one evening and had a lovely meal. By day we drove through very scenic areas to the beautiful Port Meirion and Harlech amongst other places. Overall a fantastic place, we stayed Tuesday to Friday and toyed with the idea of staying on the Friday night to sample the weekend menu at the Cellars but decided we will go back another time without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Avoid this hotel, it looks lovely in the website, but needs updating, lots of nasty looking stains on the fabric headboards and the carpets, dust so thick you could write your name in it. We spent 20 mins cleaning the bathroom the towel changed from white to very grey!!, especially getting the hair out of the bath!! The blind was broken, the shower wasn't very powerful. Moving onto the breakfast, this was so overcooked. They let you make tea from a flask of lukewarm water, The staff didn't seem very interested as once they served you they were no where to be found. We only saw 2 girls doing everything from cleaning and reception duties through to serving at the restaurant.
For £105 per night one would have expected a lot more
On a plus point its just off the A 55

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these St. Asaph hotels

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We booked a room at The Talardy Hotel at the last minute, we booked a world feature room. When we got to our room are room it was set out like an Affrican Safari. There were large elephants and hippos on the floor , animal paintings on the walls, and faux fur bed spreads and bean bags on the floor. The children loved it, so did the adults it was a room that was completly different.... The room was spotless and the bathroom was also huge with a spar bath. Breakfast was no dissapointment, pleantly of choice and the cooked breakfast was fantastic. A loverly small hotel that was really enjoyable. Will be staying there again, perhaps in a different themed room, perhaps chineese or the Hong Kong theme. Would recomend this hotel to everyone. Great location to explore the North Wales cosat.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Sandbach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel at the end of August and were very pleasantly surprised by what we found. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful, in particular the orangery and we were not disappointed by what we found when we went inside the hotel either. A friend had receommended the hotel because of the themed rooms and good food. We stayed in the Roman themed room which was superb, big bed and bathroom and lovely accessories to really set the scene. The room was clean and had sufficient tea, coffee, biscuits and even bottles of water. The bed was very comfy and we enjoyed a really good nights sleep. We didn't get chance to properly use the WIFI and TV but I tested it anyway because I'm nosey and they worked preferctly well.
The food in cellars restaurant was excellent. I had sardines on toast followed by belly pork and even though I didn't have any room left for pudding I squeezed in the pancakes. Each course was magnificent and all the staff in the restaurant were polite and very knowledgeable about the food and wine they were serving.
Despite still being a bit full from the the food the night before, my boyfriend and I both had breakfast the next morning and again found the food to be fantastic quality and I was impressed on all occasions by the fact the hotel is sourcing local produce!
I hope the staff and managers read these comments because I would like to say thank you to the staff who were on duty during our stay because they were all very polite and friendly and attended to us in a professional manner at all times. Next time, I'm planning a trip that way I'll be sure to stop in.

• Liked — Bedrooms are individual, comfy and clean. Amazing food!
  • Disliked — Too far from my home to go just for dinner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Talardy Hotel? Share your experiences!