“Terrible Service” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

This B & B was recommend to host a foriegn visitor. The food was bland and tastless, the service was unbelivable, we had food ploked down then we were forgotton about while the cook ate her dinner with friends. The rooms were cold, there was no coffee making facilities. The path leading to the pub was broken and dangerous. An eastern european lady (I think the wife of the owner) was rude and very unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
, Manager at Mortimers Cross Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Countrybumkin026, the Mortimer's Cross Inn is now under new mangement from June 2011. I would really like to invite you to revisit when you are next in the area. If you would allow me to show you all the improvemnets that have been made it would be much appreciated. As you can see from all subsequent comments, we have really made a difference. Many thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

the rooms here are amazing, two out of the three rooms had spa baths, and the rooms are huge with everything that you could need. The whole place is well kept and clean.

We made a few requests like packed breakfast and overnight storage for all our bikes, and we were well looked after.

my only critisism.....where is the front door? we all wandered around the place (the wrong way )trying to find it!

would recommend this as a great place to stay....also for you guys out there...a romantic place to take your dearly beloved.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Hereford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

I was recommended to try the New Inn Restaurant at Mortimers Cross for a meal.
I took my wife daughter and friends for lunch.
The staff were most helpful and the food was terrific. Great selection at very reasonable price.
The Inn has won several awards for real ale and I can understand why, superb!
Throughly recommend the New Inn to everyone and whilst there I saw the 2 charming charachter Bedrooms
Great Pub Great landlord and team

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Full of character
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Liverpool, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

We paid £160.00 in May 2007 for a 2 night DB&B break, advertised through Ebay by Martin and Emma Hathaway. It was agreed that we would
not be taking it until October/November but we would ring as soon as we had some dates.

To my horror, I found out that not only was the phone cut off, but the Inn was closed for refurbishment AND this couple were no longer licencees.

They were well aware that they had taken my money and made no attempt
to contact or reimburse me. I have contacted "greenhey" whose review I found on here.

I also telephoned Punch Taverns Plc who own the Inn...but to no avail.

Apparently it will reopen on 1st Nov 2007 with new people.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Mortimerscross, Owner at Mortimers Cross Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2009
Dear Scouse69

I have just taken over The Mortimers Cross Inn and and am very sorry to hear what happened. I can honestly say that under no circumstance would we ever run off with someones money and it would be good to see you here at The Mortimers cross as we are trying to make it back into a traditional village inn

Chris Cox
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

We booked and paid for a weekend break advertised by the couple in charge on EBay in May. It was agreed we would fix the dates later, which we did in July .
We were due to be there 21/22 sept, and a week before tried contacting to confirm details. We could get no reply , via email or phone .
After a few days we learned the couple, MARTIN and EMMA HATHAWAY had left the pub and it was closed for work before takeover by someone else.
They had taken our money ( and, we understand, others' money) , kept it, and didnt even have the courtesy to contact us to save us wasting our journey.
I have spent days trying to find them and establish whether they are bankrupt ( tho the Insolvency Service do not have anything filed under their names or that of the pub).
They ran the pub as lessees of Punch Taverns, who do not want to be involved in the case .

Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Dear Greenhey

I am sorry to hear what happened with previous owners of the Mortimers Cross. I have just taken over the Inn and I am mortified to read what the last people have done, I cna honestly say that under no circumstance would I run off with someones money and it would be great to see you at the Mortimers Cross as I believe it is a wonderful pub to stay at (but I am biased)

Chris Cox
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

cant say about the hotel, but went for sunday carvery, waitresses very good, food well presented, but whole experience spoiled by who we assume were the two (male and female) owners or maybe managers who because they seemed busy and under pressure were rude and arrogent .

• Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mortimers Cross Inn? Share your experiences!