“They Must Have Thought That We Were Royalty!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Lake Macquarie
“They Must Have Thought That We Were Royalty!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We loved, loved, loved Ashford Castle! What an amazing experience! From the time we pulled into the carpark, to the time that our car left the estate, we were made to feel like royalty. I honestly thought that they had mistaken one of us for someone famous, although there is nothing remarkable about either of us!
The castle is surrounded by a high stone wall. We found the big gated entrance, which was closed. A man at the gate approached our car & asked our names. Once given our name, he consulted his clipboard, was happy that we indeed were expected, & we were allowed to proceed into the castle grounds. What an amazing & impressive view greeted us on the other side of the gate! The drive up to the castle was about a mile, through stunning grounds of sweeping lawns, magnificent trees & gardens & a gorgeous bridge over a beautiful lake; & there up ahead, looking tall, proud & magnificent is the stunning Ashford castle. We are greeted by a splendidly attired gentleman, who offers not only to park our tiny, little hire car, but to unpack the car as well. We are now greeted by name by all the staff, who were expecting us, as the man on the gate had obviously radioed ahead & given our names.
We were shown to a table where we were seated across from another gentleman who then proceeded to check us in & inform us that they were giving us an upgrade to a suite.He then took us for a tour of the castle, explaining about dining options etc & then we were escorted to our magnificent suite. Amazing room, bathroom & views to die for!
A large & very comfortable King size bed. Large TV with interactive internet, although it was an extra to use the internet on the TV. A lounge with lounge chairs & even a trouser press.
The room had everything! Large beautiful bathroom! All very comfortable. The best thing though was the view! If I was confined to bed, or a chair, that would be the room of my dreams! You could spend hours watching the comings & goings of the wildlife on the lake, the people fishing or taking a boat trip. So interesting & relaxing!
The next 2 days we continued to be treated like royalty by every member of the staff. Nothing was too much trouble! Best service I have experienced anywhere! The room & the castle itself was spotlessly clean & very well maintained. The breakfast was included in our accommodation package & it was fantastic! We could order anything off the menu, but we really didn't need to because everything that you could possibly want was on the huge buffet. The atmosphere & the views in the fabulous dining room are wonderful & the service was impeccable! Did I mention that the food was delicious! This was great value for money!
Over the 2 days that we spent at the castle, we walked around the extensive & magnificent grounds & we walked into the nearby, cute little village of Cong via the castle grounds.There is so much to do & see! Unfortunately, we had no time to partake in any of the many activities that the castle offers, which included all the sports that you could possibly expect, plus lessons in falconry, fishing & archery & of course, golf! I also didn't get to use the spa, so I can't comment on that either.
This is a wonderful place to come & be spoilt & totally relax & get involved as much or as little as you wish, in all that the castle has to offer. It would have been lovely to have stayed here for a week or more. My husband would have loved to have a game or three of golf & I could have used the spa. Oh well, maybe next time, although it's a long way from Australia!
So glad that we stayed here! It was a perfect way to end our wonderful trip around Ireland & such great value!
Thank you to all the Ashford Castle staff for giving us such wonderful & lasting memories!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you are planning a castle tour vacation in Ireland, add Ashford to your list! We stayed in four castles during our trip: Cabra, Kilronan, Ashford and Dunboyne. And, while the other castles had unique and redeeming qualities, Ashford Castle was by far the best all around.

From the moment we arrived, we were awestruck by the beauty of this castle as we drove over the bridge. We were greeted immediately by the bell hop, who directed us to a close parking space and helped us with our luggage. He was so friendly and not pretentious at all. He made a point to learn my name and my sons name and use them throughout our stay at Ashford.

The check-in staff was very pleasant and helpful.

When I travel with my children, it's important they not be treated any differently than a paying adult. My 10-year old son was made to feel very welcome at Ashford.

Our bedroom was comfortable and clean.
The drawing room servers were prompt and friendly.
The George V restaurant was delightful, and well worth the experience. Again, my son was treated well... even like a prince, as we dined in this fine restaurant. We enjoyed the opportunity to dress up. :) The food was delicious, and well presented.

We rented bikes from the on-grounds golf shop for just $25 Euro for the entire day (for a child bike and an adult bike). We biked to the Guinness Tower deep in the woods, and along the lake.

We strongly recommend the Hawk Walk at the School of Falconry! :) We had a great time learning interesting facts about Hawks from our very experienced guide, Jason. It is a powerful feeling to cast off your Hawk and command it's return by a simple pose. :) We repeated this 20 +/- times in an hour long walk. It was fun. My son bonded quickly with our hawks, Chico and Aztec. He wants to go back just to see them. Children or no children, the Hawk walk is a must do.

Another plus about Ashford is it's location. While most guests retreat to Ashford castle to escape, Westport and Galway are only 30-40 minutes drive for those who want to venture out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent a few nights at Ashford Castle. As you drive through the entrance you begin to get a feel for the history, quality and ambience of this hotel. The river, the wonderful old bridge and the outline of the castle are the perfect start as you approach this wonderful castle. The welcome was as one might expect and the room we were given was excellent. The hotel simply exudes elegance and grandeur - you will not be disappointed. We also had a really superb dinner in the George V restaurant (men - remember to bring a jacket and tie) and the waiting staff also deserve a special mention as their service was truly excellent. The grounds and walks are extensive and maintained beautifully as you might expect. This must be one of the finest hotels in Ireland. The nearby town of Cong still has a certain quaint and picturesque charm that brings you back in time. Top marks Ashford. I could not fault it. A very memorable and enjoyable stay. If you are fortunate enough to get the opportunity to stay at this hotel, take that opportunity!!

• Stayed May 2013
Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Thanks to a special promotion last summer I was able to come to Ashford for 3 days in August. This was my first experience staying in a castle so I was quite excited about it. After more than a month of rain, the day I arrived was a gorjeous one and right away I got on the boat "Isle of Innisfree" (courtesy of Ashford) to visit the famous Christian monument in a nearby island.
My room was very beautiful but on a hot day with the windows not working well the night was horrible. But thanks to Catherine Kenny, she right away arranged another great room for me and problems were sorted out and I could have more air in the room. I'd like to say that the best thing of Ashford is Catherine Kenny who gives her life to the castle and its guests. Her kindness and dedication is very rare to find in hotels nowadays. She makes everything possible to help you and make sure you are fine. One can see that she loves her work and really cares about people. I was very moved with the warm greetings with my name on the TV screen when I first entered the room. I found that quite unique! The rooms are beautiful and beautifully kept, of impecable taste. The estate is very large and I had the chance to relax and sit on the fields and the river bank, have lessons at the Falconary School, and get to know Cong well. The breakfast was the best I had in Ireland and the staff was really great. I'll always cherish my memories there. The whole thing was quite an unexpected surprise to me and in a way like a dream come true.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Yoxall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went for a short stay in may. The setting is beautiful, the rooms pleasant and the facilities good. The main positive is the friendly staff - they wanted to chat, the were keen to help and they were fun. The downside is that it is a bit faded around the edges and the attention to detail is not there. We walked past a vacuum cleaner in the hallway thought the day - either they clean a lot or they don't tidy ip

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

When you want to experience the best in service, food, ambiance Ashford Castle has been delivering this promise for many many years.
Its many awards and celebrity visits offer testimony to this. But, as with all things one must pay for the privilege.
We have been visiting Ashford since 1987 and this visit simply reinforced our lasting opinion of this fantastic 5 star experience.
Dining in the George V was originally quite formal and although male guests are encouraged to wear a jacket and tie seems to be moving more towards jacket only so no worries if you are concerned over too much formality. The quality of the food is outstanding with special preferences or needs happily addressed.
An extensive wine list is available and suggestions for wine by the glass to pair with the menu suggestions is well worth sampling. Robert the sommeilier and co maitre d is quite the expert in his recommendations.
The rooms are coming up to require renovation but the antique furnishings and bit of wear only lend to the atmosphere of a castle dating from the 1200's.
Fantastic views, 300+ acres to walk, the fantastic falconry experience, tennis and an adequate 9 hole golf course make this a fantastic experience for romance, celebrations or just pure relaxation.

Durant, Ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife wanted to stay at a castle so this we did. Ashford Castle if fabulous. Food, drinks, and service unbelievable. We enjoyed the live music and the views were out of this world. We stayed in the old part of the castle and it was very romantic. This was the next to the last night of our 2.5 week trip to Europe and it was like a grand finale. Our whole trip was great and this was the perfect ending.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!