“A fairytale” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Mystic, CT
“A fairytale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have always wanted to spend the night in a castle and am thrilled this is the one I chose. What incredible service, from the moment you approach the front door! Being greeted by a maitre d' was so nice. Upon checking in, the staff takes your bags up to your room ahead of you, so they are perched in a cozy spot when you enter the room. A nice touch! The hosts will make dinner reservations for you or book events. Dinner at the restaurant was very nice and dining alone wasn't a problem as I was made to feel welcome and cared for. I wound up joining the couple beside me which I truly enjoyed. The food was out of this world good. After dinner, cordials by the piano with some traditional and modern music and plenty of crowd participation. Everyone enjoyed it. I missed breakfast the next morning to visit the School of Falconry, just a short walk from the castle, but still on the property. This was a very fun experience and the grounds walking there are beautiful. I would like to mention that while my room was decorated very pretty, a spectacular view, all of the guestroom amenities, the wall paper was coming down in various spots, so a little specific attention to that would be great for future. I would have also liked to have internet access in my room through my hand held device and not have to go to the lobby. I didn't find the wireless keyboard very user friendly, although I did try to use it. Small things, but noticeable. I would visit Ashford again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The facility was one of the best 5Star hotels I have stayed in. The staff as very well trained and very welcoming. The food was well prepared, even the breakfast buffet had top food on it. The falconing (an outside activity on the property) was done by an outside group but they were very professional, expressing a love for their work. Money well spent. The hotel lived up to its internet hype.

Bruce, in North Carolina 11/6/2012 stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

From our booking to our arrival everything was handled in an efficient and professional manner.
Well what can you expect, it's a five star.
On our arrival at the property’s entrance, we were expected and on the list of guests.
The drive down to the castle trough the property and the huge grounds are breathtaking. You get to know that feeling that some Kings must have had.
At our arrival in front of the reception, someone took care of our car and our luggage; then we got introduced to the castle with “some” of its places and hidden corners because otherwise you might get lost and end up in the "oubliettes" and will never be found.
Our suite was very nice, comfortable and on two floors. The room service was top; everything was clean and in working order.
The food and the service in the George V dining room is an experience, absolutely great. The staff is very friendly knowledgeable and without any hiccups.

We had some discrepencies but everything was solved within a very short time to our full satisfaction.
Ashford is worth a visit for very special and unique occasions. It is a must to see and a unique experience.
Feel once like the rich and famous, but it has its price, after all it needs lots of maintenance.

Another must have experience is:
Don’t miss the boat with David and Patrick, a truly very nice experience as it show the castle from another side,.....from the water and they'll give you bit of the history of this great lake and region.

Room Tip: Each room has a unique setting ask questions when you book.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Killinchy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ashford offers a unique experience, often enjoyed by the rich and famous ( if that's your thing) but an unmatched treat for ordinary mortals! From arrival to departure the excellent staff give five-star treatment to all their guests. A tour ( as one US president said - you'd be lost without it!) en route to lovely rooms which are comfortably luxurious makes you feel an honoured guest from the start. Our dinner in the George V dining room - bring your jackets and ties gents- and breakfasts were superb. A few little details that could be improved but with delicious chocolates on your turned- down bed, who minds!? A trip on the Lake of Inisfree boat was fantastic, last time - 2002 - I had a try at Falconry - a unique experience available on site. Make yours dreams come trus - visit Ashford! Or if you have a spare €25M - just buy it!

• Stayed November 2012
Olbia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

While both the castle itself and the grounds are fabulous, I found the food to be well below par (we ate in the lounge and the cottage/pub - not in the main formal dining room) and the service average. The Castle also offers a great range of activities such as archery, fishing, horseriding, which we unfortunately we did not have time to try out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly the entrance to the property is breathtaking and the drive to the property through its sprawling estate is magical. The staff is warm and welcoming and go a great distance to attend to your very need. We were in a rather large sized room with the view of the beautiful grounds from all the windows of the room and bathroom. The food was very good and again we were well attended by the staff . We were faced with bad weather therefore were indoors most of the time although there was a scope for many activities. I think the hotel is a great option for family reunions etc. flights into Shannon can be reasonable and it's a lovely drive through the countryside to reach Ashford castle. The only downside was that we were there for a large conference and had to wait 2 hours for our room to be cleaned for check in. We were told it was due to Sandy that travellers left late yet I found delay a bit too much as we had come on an overnight flight. The upholstery was clearly a bit worn on sofas etc that made it look a bit run down.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fallbrook, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I visited Ireland for 2 weeks and this was by far the best hotel. We stayed at four separate 5 star hotels and this one was at the top. The service, location, history and quailty were excellent. I travel worldwide and this hotel is one of the best I have visited. If you are anywhere near this place it is a must stay. The price during the week is quite reasonable and when I return to Ireland I will make a point to visit again.

Room Tip: Come for the history, stay for the sevice
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!