“A NewYears to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A NewYears to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

On our return visit to Ireland during Christmas we were fortunate enough to stay at Ashford Castle and take in the New Years celebration.
I cannot begin to find enough words to describe how amazing an experience this was.
We were greeted the moment we arrived, the check-in was fast and courteous.
The pub within the Castle is a great place to mingle, the staff were very attentive.
The basic co-joining rooms we had were small but suites are available.
Because we were travelling with our young daughter we worried about how she would be received....how silly were we.....loads of kids for her to play with and because it was New Years the staff had tonnes of activities for them to enjoy.
The dinner, dancing and New Years Eve gala were second to none.
Hopefully we'll be back again soon.

Room Tip: Book at suite on the upper floors
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Australian based family members treated us to Afternoon Tea at this famous hotel. Upon arrival, the person who made the booking was told they had not confirmed the booking which was not previously stated as a requirement. If really the case, they had contact details to follow up if it were that critical. Nonetheless, we were 'accepted' and shown to our seats in the drawing room. Two menus were brought to share amongst 6 people and the waiter remained with pen poised rather than giving us time to browse. It was not busy but it took 30mins for a glass of water to arrive for a thirsty child. Indeed, delays in service continued to be a theme for the afternonn as we were left waiting for tea, replacement cup etc. There was adequate staff, they just seemed to be indifferent/lethargic. The most shocking part was that there were no baby changing facilities available and the restroom attendant was clearly embarrased when she relayed the information. She invited us to use the restroom to change the baby but the only available surface was the floor which we had to use (at least it was clean and we had a changing mat with us). The highlight of our visit to this location was the independently run boat trip around Lough Corrib. It lasted about an hour and was very enjoyable with friendly and helpful staff. We subsequently heard of visitors who turned away because there is a €5 fee to visit the hotel. We were stopped at the gate to ascertain the purpose of our visit and this fee waived as we were availing of tea.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The rate of EUR 398 for a couple seems expensive but looking twice I do not even think this will cover the hotels costs. The hotel has got 83 rooms, decent old interior, excellent staff at the receiption and in the restaurant. When we ate there the menu was worth every single Cent of the charged EUR 67. The wine list covers all needs. I would rate the stay there as a lifetime experience, because there is little chance to stay in such an environment otherwise. Nevertheless, for people not being likely to pay the mentioned rate for the stay a little hint. Stay in a nearby Bed and Breakfast and treat yourself with a dinner menu at the hotel. Saves a lot, you don´t get to see the rooms, but you can still breath the atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
easkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Well, the plan was to stay at Ashford Castle. Initially I reviewed the price option which were going to be a minimum of 210 Euro per person per night which would easily be about six hundred dollars. After looking at the lisloughery lodge option which is on the grounds it seemed like staying there one night first would be a good idea. It was great. When we inquired about going over to the castle for the second night the only available option was 800 euro for one night. That seemed insane compared to the 120 Euro for the excellent lodge room and 120 Euro for the 2nd lodge night in a duplex suite. The first room was actually better as the duplex really wasnt needed and was less convenient since steps were present to get to the bedroom. Anyway, Cong village in nice and quaint. Try the Ireland School of Falconry at the castle! IF the weather held out the boat ride on the lake would have been excellent. If you stay at the lodge and attempt to enter the castle grounds dont pay the 5.00 euro fee is there is one at the front entrance. The guy manning the gate wasnt there in the evening. Lisloughery Lodge was so relaxing and a pleasure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This review is late - so sorry! We stayed in Ireland back in September 2010 that included a 3 night stay at Ashford Castle.

Arriving on the grounds is awe-inspiring. After checking in with security at the gate, in we went. We splurged this trip and hired a private chauffeur for the duration so that we didn't have to worry about driving. We had classical music blaring and a gorgeous sunshiny day. The trees, grass and surrounding area were all so green, lush and inviting. We wound thru part of the golf course until we at last saw the castle up ahead. Wow! It's simply amazing!!! The bridge leading over the river into the castle looks like's right out of a movie. We were treated like royalty from the moment our car stopped. Check-in was courteous, professional and prompt. Our room was INCREDIBLE! We had a picture-perfect view of the loch, complete with a mother swan and her 4 cygnets swimming by. The room was spotless clean, well-appointed and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was nice, too, although on the smaller side.

Dining: We enjoyed Cullen's for dinner 2 nights (just a short walk across the bridge) and found the menu and wine list just great. The Fish and Chips were light and crisp and the grilled salmon (with grilled strawberries....soooo good) was perfection. The staff was great and even called for a pick-up ride back to the castle since it began to rain while we dined. Good fun, good people, laid-back enough to wear jeans and a sweater, cold beer and a nice fire in the fireplace = a wonderful dining experience!

The bar inside the castle was heaven! We met some really nice and interesting people while sipping our drinks by the fire and the bartender was just over the top accommodating. There are nice views of the river and the dark wood interior and decor of the bar make for a very special atmosphere. I felt very taken away from it all while in there...perhaps the cocktails??? :-) Great fun!

We walked the grounds extensively during our stay. It is absolutely amazing how big Ashford truly is. Bring your map when you go out exploring!!! The grounds are meticulously maintained. We enjoyed the gardens and just exploring every aspect of the castle towers and walls. Everything is so old. It's just unreal that the place has held up so nicely, especially considering the Irish weather.

TAKE THE HAWK WALK TOUR!!! This is not to be missed, for the walk thru the "forest" if not the birds!!! We did a private 1 1/2 hour tour and loved every minute of it. We each got our own Harris Hawk and our handler taught us exactly what to do and made it all so much fun and educational. We really like walking thru all the trees (and mud) - it felt so "Sherwood Forest" to us! The birds are true miracle of nature. Their ability to hunt, see, dive, fly, etc. is so awesome! Please don't miss the opportunity to do something you won't ever have a chance to do anywhere else (except a few places while in Ireland).

Ashford is a must see while in Ireland. Take your time while there to just walk slowly around the place and take it all in. It's magical, really. We had no complaints, whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have always wanted to visit Ireland, and when I placed my reservations to travel to Ireland, Ashford Castle was going to be one of the highlights of my trip. After seeing so many beautiful pictures and wonderful reviews, I couldn't wait! Well, you can imagine my surprise and total disappointment when my travel agent contacted me to let me know that the castle had CANCELED my reservation. This reservation was made in January 2011, and they canceled on me a full 6 months afterward - just a few months out from my trip dates! I had so many activities already planned and reserved based around my time I was supposed to spend at Ashford that I had to cancel. To top if off, it was not just me that they canceled on, but the castle had a number of people who had reservations for the same weekend that got their vacations ruined as well.

To put it simply, I was crushed, disappointed, very angry and I felt downright cheated. I understand that these economic times are difficult, and someone wanting to rent out the whole castle for a wedding might seem to make good business sense (which is what has happened), but I expect customer service at such a highly rated hotel to be impeccable. They basically spit on a dream of mine, and honestly, they did not seem to care. They didn't even contact me to try to change the dates of my stay. They might as well have said, "we do not value your business and we do not care about what you want."

So if you are planning a trip to Ireland and you want Ashford Castle to be a highlight of your trip, I recommend buying refundable plane tickets, because they are apparently unreliable at honoring reservations. They will be happy to shatter your vacation dreams because someone else is waving some money around.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Have stayed here twice, the last time was my birthday and the management sent 2 glasses of vintage Champagne to my room -

If you are after a luxurious treat, book this magical hotel today! A favourite of Ireland's elite and many famous celebs have stayed here!
Spectacular

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!