“Pleasant stay with a few things to improve” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moalboal Beach Resort

You added Moalboal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Moalboal Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Sitio Kalingking | Barangay Saavedra, Moalboal 6032, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 18 Moalboal B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Den Haag, Nederland
“Pleasant stay with a few things to improve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the things we really liked at the resort:
- the bed and matress were very comfi
- breakfast was good, and overall the food in the restaurant was delicious!
- there are motorbikes for rent at the resort
-the view from out room was great
- helpfull staff, although the level of english (speaking/understanding) differed

However a few things that we didn't like or that could be improved:
- the water pressure of the shower sucks
- some of the bedsheets and towels were worn off/threadbare (they were changed though when we asked)
- the name of the place would suggest that there would be an actual beach, which there isn't. See also other reviews: the sea where the resort is located at is a mangrove/muddy bat
- the resort really is in the middle of nowhere. The motorbike can get you anywhere, but you have to ride some bad, rocky dirt
roads and be prepared for some flat tires (if that happens: along the roads are little shops or houses that have a sign 'vulcanize'. They can fix your tire for a few cents)

All in all we would recommend this resort If you're looking for a quiet place to relax and do nothing.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Great place for those who wants peace and refuge. It's a place to relax and not a place to party. People are kind and considerate. My daughter loves dogs and yes we were greeted by a dalmatian, dachsund named paolo and some other neat well groomed canines.

Its a mangrove section so dont expect white sands but a variety of birds like king fishers or pelicans. Bring your binoculars and cameras for bird watching.

Its a place to detox and feel the sea breeze. The rooms are decent and clean. For the prize its definitely worth it. The pool is great but there are people constructing nearby. We went by the night for more privacy.

I recommend this for families who wants peace and quite. You can proceed to white beach anyway if you want waves and sand.

I see it more as a retreat farm. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

The good things:

The pool area is really nice, as is the hotel grounds in general. When it's high tide the water comes right up to the hotel area and it's quite beautiful, however, during low tide you're left to look at muddy sludge and it really damages the entire look of the resort.

Also, the food from the hotel kitchen is delicious; nearly everything we ate was of high quality. On one of the nights the hotel roasted a pig and we got to experience some traditional Cebu lechon. That was a cool experience.

The bad things:

I booked two rooms for my family, one of which was a deluxe room for my wife and I. I had requested a double bed, but when I arrived at the hotel they only had a room with twin beds which forced us to sleep apart during the duration of our stay. Buzzkill.

The TV in our room didn't work, and when I asked the owner about this he asked us if the TV was necessary. We explained that we we like to watch a bit of TV before bed so he said he'd try to bring us a portable TV/DVD player, but of course that never happened.

On the last night of our stay one of the women working at the restaurant overcharged our bill, and I'm very sure it was done on purpose. When she showed us the bill she did so in a very fast, nervous manner. I noticed that the total charge was more than I expected, so I waited a moment, then slyly picked up the bill book when she wasn't looking. Immediately she started to get real fidgety and it was quite obvious that she knew she was about to be busted. Sure enough we had been overcharged. Shocker! She quickly fixed the bill (funny how she knew exactly where the mistake on the bill was without me even having to mention it). This happened late at night and as we had to leave early the next morning I didn't have a chance to confront the owner about it, although considering his passing interest in my family I doubt he would've done anything about it. Perhaps if we were a white European family we would've been shown more attention.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NikolausStumpf, Manager at Moalboal Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

We offer deluxe rooms with double and 2 single beds, we offered a transfer to a room with a double bed, but the guest decided to stay in the room with the 2 single beds, which could have been moved together easily.

Our rooms are not advertised with having a TV in the room. We upgraded some rooms with TV and accidentally the TV set in the room was programmed by the previous guest to an Arabic language which we were not able to sort out.
I offered a mobile private TV set, which we use for our children, yes and it did not happen to provide this unit, but it has been explained.

The woman that has been trying to overcharge has resigned already, this is not going to happen again, but it is very difficult for the management to be around 24 hours and check everything at all times.

We showed as much attention as to every guest, disregarding his nationality. It would have been easy to let the guard wake me up to fix the settlement of the restaurant bill with no problem.

We all care very much for our guest, for all. And I talk every time I see a guest and ask if everything is fine and no problems with services or rooms. If there are problems we try to fix as much as possible.

I highly appreciate a feedback provided to the Management to give us the opportunity to improve services. But it would be very good if the feedback can be given to the management directly to sort out misunderstandings and discomfort if any.
Binãn, Laguna, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Leaving this place is the saddest part of our Journey. My mom, sister and Boyfriend, really loves the pool, the scene. We really love nature. Fresh air! The food is great! The staff are friendly. My friend recommended this Resort to me and what triggers me to visit is because of her bragging how hospitable and Friendly the owner named Nik is. We'll definitely go back here and stay for more days if there's a chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This is the perfect place for a vacation from your vacation. You are completely removed from the tourist track, awakened only by the neighboring roosters. The location is stunningly beautiful. The pool is perfect. Our sons loved diving off the rocks into the deep end. Perhaps The most glorious thing was that our sons who usually fight like cats and dogs managed to share a room and a double bed without incident. The rooms are spacious Nicklaus, his wife and her family run the resort with loving care. Just visit another resort to see the difference. The food is very good and the prices, though not cheep, were in line with the other resorts and not expensive either. We tried the street food in Moalboal one night and we're really disappointed. (Save your street food adventures for Thailand. )

We dove with the Asian Belgian divers while we were there (nice dives but we could have used a refresher before entering the water - there's no nannying here so be sure to know your stuff) and also visited the whale sharks on a tour with Asian Belgian as well. The whale sharks were well worth the trip. What amazing creatures. The fisherman are paid to take tourists instead of killing the whale sharks. A pragmatic, if not a perfect solution.

Finally, Crissy the monkey. Well first she's a real live Macau monkey living at the resort. Saved from becoming a farmer's dinner by the soft spoken Nicolaus. However, monkey lovers be warned, winning her affection is challenging at best, especially if you are female. We stayed 5 nights and it wasn't until the morning that we checked out that Crissy finally accepted me. The first day I brought her a plate of fries - her favorite. (No worries she peels the outside and only eats the inside that is free of grease and salt.) She sat on my lap to eat them, but then got agitated, jumped on my shoulder and began pulling at my hair and chewing at my head. A little unnerving, but okay until she moved to my arm where her chewing scratched the surface of my skin. In her defense, the cats and dogs had started a row and she got agitated. Each morning after that I brought her a mango (she prefers them to bananas). I also began feeding her from the gazebo where it is easier to make a quick exit if necessary. I also learned that she is calmer if you pretend to groom yourself. By my last morning, she not only let me groom her for a good 20 minutes, she also let my younger son approach and groom her too. When I went to leave, she scamper onto the path and rolled over on her back, exposing her belly for more grooming. All told, I spent about an hour with her that final morning. On the occasions she groomed me it was completely gentle. However, getting to this point took a lot of time and effort on my part. In my opinion, totally worth it, but I am a primate junkie. Have been since I watched Jane Goodall specials as a kid.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed in Moalboal beach resort with my friend for six days. Service in total was excellent and the staff was really nice. It is possible to just relax at the pool or walk/ rent a scooter/ get a tricycle and go to White beach. You can also rent kayaks from the resort.
They take good care of their guests. Food was really nice.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are in good shape. (I got to see a few different).