“Nice spot in so so Moalboal” 4 of 5 stars

Tipolo Beach Resort
Panagsama Beach, Moalboal 6032, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Moalboal B&B and Inns
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Nice spot in so so Moalboal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Tipolo was the first place we stayed during our trip in the Philippines. Tipolo beach resort is a very nice place, close the sea with beach access, clean and nice rooms, and a great restaurant. Tipolo is one of the few places without the overload of old Western men.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dumaguete Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

To start with, tripadvisor has average and very good as the next step, well it was better than average, but definitely not very good.

I traveled from Dumaguete to stay for 3 nights at Tipolo Resort with my girl, to meet some friends coming down from Luzon.

Booking:
painless via a good online system, paid rooms with paypal.

check in:
name, signature, ... done

rooms:
basic with bamboo furniture, thin mattress, aircon (not too loud), hot water, Ref, WiFi worked good. Safe is there, and OK for wallet, my Canon DSLR did not fit into it, clean, let's say "functional".
Room got cleaned automatically, even we stood there one day 'til after lunch. Had different experience in many hotels and inn's all-over the Philippines.
some house-rules are strange at best, (to be polite). Meeting a friend on a vacation is nothing unusual and has nothing to do with sex-tourism.
Ref is well stocked and not overpriced like in many places.

Beach:
There is no beach. the Beach Resort is on a small cliff with steps down to the water and a micro-spot of sand at low tide.

Resort:
small, but nice garden, each room has a veranda for relaxing and/or smoking.

Staff:
friendly and helpful, a bit on the "relaxed side", not that aware of customers in the restaurant, when having chikka in the back of the kitchen. However, if you get their attention, they were professional and helpful.

Food at Restaurant:
The "Last Filling Station" belongs somehow to the resort. The breakfast is a bit on the weak scale, lunch, snacks and dinner are really really good. (if all ingredients are there, what seems to be a little bit an issue), like 8:30 am no rice cooked for filipino breakfast, or no fish, even it is sold everywhere.
The sandwiches, Pita Bread, Pizza, Tom Yam soup, etc were simply delicious. Value for money other than breakfast: Top Notch !

check out:
fast and effective.

Overall:
A nice place in good location, good for couples to relax or explore. Would I go there again? To be honest, I am not sure as we roamed around in Moalboal and saw some places for the same rates, which I liked a bit more.

Having some beds in storage might also help, to be a bit more flexible when a couple wants a double bed. queen size bamboo bed 1200 - 1500 peso is not a that expensive purchase to increase guest service.

I definitely would go back for food, a beer or two and to say hello.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Tipolo Beach Resort is a really good place to stay in MoalBoal! The rooms are clean and comfortable, with spacious balcony and seaview. The restaurant is really good, and the adventure tour operator attached to the resort is so convenient!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

simple but elegant place-nice seaview rooms good price and restaurant-staff generally helpful
best part was snorkelling to the reef from the garden drop-however last day slightly spoiled by a certain european man staying next door with 3-4 thai girls who he proceeded to take photos
by the pier above a glorious sunrise-we thought it all rather dodgy-anyway who are we to judge

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a great place to stay in Moalboal. We are from NZ but are working in Cebu and have stayed here a couple of times before. We've just returned from a 3 day weekend there where we took friends from NZ and England. Everybody loved it. The resort is eco-friendly, set in a lovely garden setting perched on the cliff, with cute, clean cottage-style accommodation. The owners are very personable and helpful, adventure tours can be organised through the attached Planet Action and the food is fantastic - fresh yoghurt, fruits, home-baked breads, wood-fired pizzas etc etc. Well-located at the edge of the little beach township. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Casablanca, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the Tipolo Resort for 3 nights mainly because of it's glowing reviews on trip advisor..Overall, as far as cleanliness, the restaurant, tours offered and location it was very good. However, one thing that surprised was what happened during my first night. I like to party a bit so I went out for a few beers and ended up meeting a girl and brought her back to my place. Little did I know their security man was going to harrass her and myself upon entering the resort. He flashed his flash light on us the whole time we walked from the entrance to my front door. Then, when we were inside, he proceeded to shine the flash light through both the cabins windows as he walked around it. He did this for about 5 minutes..I didn't know what was going on as it was my first night staying there and in the Philippines. The next morning my nightly companion's sandals were missing and it turned into an ordeal trying to figure out what happened to them as she was trying to leave. I spoke with one of the owners about this and she apologized for his behavior but that non-registered guests are not allowed to stay in the hotel. That's their policy. It's done for security reasons. I said to her that I understand the policy and will adhere to it for the rest of my stay but that it wasn't ever explained to me. I mean, for a place that I paid $40 a night for, I didn't expect to feel like I was being babysat. I want and expect some freeedom.
That being said, if you're single and plan to go out hunting like myself this is NOT the place for you. Otherwise, I can honestly say the other parts of this place held up to what was written about it. The river climb tour rocked, the brick-oven pizzas are tasty and Jochim was helpful on many occasions. I just felt it was important to share this story with any similar travelers like myself.
Cheers

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Cebu City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I'm the kind of traveler who looks for a bit more than just kicking back or enjoying local attractions, culture, food and the like. Although these things ARE important to me, I REALLY want to be able to integrate my passions into my holidays. Tipolo Beach Resort, Moalboal Cebu made that 125% possible with its Planet Action Adventure tours. While staying at the resort (a true value for money kind of place) I was able to engage in one my top interests, mountain biking, with Jochen, the husband of Jinky, the owner. He knows hundreds of single-trail rides that range from "easy going" to "extreme hard-core". The bikes available were top of the line and rental fees very reasonable. Jochen is a funny, straightforward, no-nonsense guy who is great fun to ride with, and very safety-conscious, as well as being highly familiar with the area and locals inhabiting it. Everywhere we went on a variety of rides, we were greeted and welcomed by the natives. His familiarity and knowledge of the locale can't be ignored, and is a big part of what made my experience enjoyable. Another highlight of my stay at Tipolo was the "river-climbing" adventure tour which was fantastic, absolutely one of the best adventures I have experienced while traveling. (See Planet Action Adventure) Tipolo Beach Resort is an excellent place to stay, with comfortable clean and affordable rooms perched on a ledge fronting the ocean, an extremely lovely and friendly staff, and not to forget, in my opinion the tasties food in Moalboal. Homemade pizza from a wood fired oven! Yu-mmmmmy! I will be back! Thanks "Boss" Jochen and Jinky! Hats off to you!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Tipolo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!