“So glad I journeyed this far.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Moalboal Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
Moalboal Backpacker Lodge
Panagsama Beach, Moalboal, Philippines   |
Shanghai, China
“So glad I journeyed this far.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

I love the bamboo deck. You can sit, read, listen to the roosters crow, and look out at the ocean. The place is clean, and staff is friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed January 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I am traveling alone for over a year and see a lot of dodgy establishments, I was staying in Moalboal in Quo Vadis which is nice (villa 3) however the service was not great and it is not cheap. I decided to move to the other end of the beach and looked into the backpackers. To my delight it is so clean, has wifi, a great kitchen, nice balcony with some water views and nice enough rooms with storage. The most outstanding thing at this backpackers besides the cleanliness and amenities is the service provided by the wonderful Anna-Lou. In my opinion why pay more when you can save and stay in this establishment. Nice find.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Paju, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I had $300 US dollars stolen out of my locked room out of the locked box provided by the staff. On two separate occasions someone went into the room and took money out of my money belt. I was the only guest at the lodge, and it was obvious who stole the money. The staff are lying thieves and should not be trusted.

Read my full explanation here,

Warning, do not stay there if you don't want to be robbed right under your nose.

Room Tip: The rooms are not safe. They have spare keys and will steal from you.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Whenever I'm in a diving destination, I choose to spend more on diving and not on the accomodation. This lodge is great given the cheap price. The entire property is clean and very comfortable.

Best features are the free wifi and the veranda where you can enjoy a bottle or two of beer after a long day of diving and biking.

The lodge has a non-monetary relationship with Cebu Dive Center. I highly recommend the lodge but not the diveshop. The manager/instructor/dive guide is too boorish to my liking. You're better off with Nelson's as long as you inform them in advance that you're coming.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
kuala lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

this place was unlike any backpacker lodge i've ever stayed at! the owner was grumpy when i asked to change my reservation. he then kept 3 days of my payment made in advance when he kicked me out, just because the rest of my party was delayed in arriving.

i would not recommend anyone to stay at this place, and tell everyone every chance i get to avoid this place!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Paranaque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

My friend and I had a very early morning flight to Cebu, so on our first day we decided to head over to Moalboal. Moalboal is in the south western area of Cebu island, near Badian. We took a non-aircon bus at the LBT bus station near P. Del Rosario St. in Cebu City. The buses leave about every hour or so, and it cost us Php107 and about 2-3 hours to get to Moalboal Public Market where we got off. From there we rode a motorcycle (about Php25) that took us to Panagsama beach where I had made a reservation to stay at Moalboal Backpackers Lodge, which I read about on the internet and is endorsed by Lonely-Planet.

Backpacker's Lodge is a small two story building with the second floor converted into a sort of dormitory/hostel-style area where there were double decker beds, and a few private rooms that were also available for rent. No A/Cs to be found, but there were enough electric fans and windows to keep the place cool. For a shared space, shared bathrooms, and a shared (use of which is free) kitchen, everything was very clean, and the other lodgers, as well as the owners, married couple, Torsten and Mary Anne Siggelkow, were kind, considerate, and helpful. Torsten, Mary Anne, and some of the other lodgers would share stories with us about Moalboal or give us their recommendation about which places to go to. My friend and I were very satisfied with our choice, especially because it only cost us about Php200 (about USD4-5) each to rent a private room good for two people. The beds were not very soft, but they were comfortable and smelled pleasant. In the evening, it would be quite cool, so the fan was enough to keep us from sweating, and we had a good night sleep, as the place and its surroundings are quite peaceful. It is also very near some restaurants with fresh seafood, and as for the beach, it is walking distance from the Panagsama shoreline and is about 20mins away via tricycle to White Beach shore. Torsten and Mary Anne can also refer you to some good dive shops nearby, if you're interested.

If you're just looking to see and experience Moalboal (especially if you're on a low budget), and maybe make a few new friends, then this place will be great for you. Oh and Torsten's planning to build a small balcony on the second floor too, so watch out for that. It seems like a great idea.

For more details about rates, I suggest you check out their website. :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights in their single room. It's nice clean accomodation at a good price - can't go far wrong. Moalboal is best if you are diving, but otherwise it's not a bad spot to just chill (or go on one of the adventure tours).

The staff (owner and his wife) were friendly, accomodating and happy to chat or give some tips on the area. The facilities are basic but just what was needed, and their are plenty of places to eat and drink nearby. The only downside is the occasional noise from outside during the night (namely roosters in the morning, or dogs at night) which were so loud at times they woke me up even with ear plugs - but that's not really the fault of the lodge.

I would stay here again, and recommend it to any of my friends in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Moalboal Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!