“Nice spot in MoalBoal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Moalboal
Stockholm, Sweden
“Nice spot in MoalBoal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Managers Mark and Judith with the owner Michael and all the Filipino staff made us feel very welcome. All the staff were very helpful with all our problems and issues. The rooms are big enough with a double bed and an optional extra bed. Not luxurious, but clean and tidy. Breakfast and all those meals we ate at the Blue Orchid was good and well prepared. Blue Orchid is on a beautiful location right on a coral reef. Just go straight out with equipment for diving or snorkeling. The sandy beach is a 25-30 meters walk down the waterside, but there is a man-made sandy terasse with sunchairs by the sea. Good and affordable massage.

Nothing negative about this place really. If you don´t expect a five star exclusive resort you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ulsted, Nordjylland, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 5 nights. We had 2 rooms beside each other, and everything was taken good care of. The rooms are always clean, the personel was very helpfull. And the kids enjoyed helping out in the kitchen. We had the greatest week here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in Jan 2013 for 4 nights. We were specifically looking for somewhere to go snorkelling and the "House Reef" was very good. The reef is the best quality directly out the front of the resort. Should it be windy the reef runs all the way along the beach and you can find protected areas. The resort has a good layout and room size is quite large. The decor is quite simple with no TV and very limited shower amenities provided. We had a sea view room and like nearly all the rooms the view is obstructed a lot by the trees which is a shame. Free internet is only accessed near the main suite and not in the rooms. The pool is a nice size and breakfast although simple was included in our room rate. (unlike some of the other resorts). All the staff were very friendly and gave a great service. They show great initiative and assist without you having to ask.
The resort is bit out the way as are most along this area. It takes around 25 minutes to get into town or to the best restaurants on a tricycle and you need to plan ahead regarding transport. We were able to arrange a local tricycle for 120 pesos, one-way to take us into town or to the restaurants. We checked tripadvisor and ate at Lantaw, Mayas, Last Filling Station. The food was all good and reasonable prices. We also went to a popular bar called Chili Bar, it is also in this same area with other restaurants sellnig seafood and local cuisine.
The main reason for visiting Cebu was to see the Whale Sharks at Oslob. We were able to find a local driver to take us for the day for 2,500 pesos. It took us two hours to drive from Moalboal. (on the way back we checked out the waterfalls) This was one of the best days I have ever experienced. For 1,000 pesos (tourists) 500 pesos for Filipinos you can spend 30 minutes snorkelling with the whale sharks, absolutely magnificent. It was an amazing experience. As other people have mentioned in their reviews, go weekdays and get there early. We arrived at 6:30am and were in the water by 7am. With less people and less wind it was a once in a lifetime experience. You have a short briefing and advised not to touch and keep your distance. The whale sharks however will come up so close as the fisherman are feeind them. We didnt touch them but were within inches at times and saw about 5 whales sharks ranging from 5-7 metres long. It was so good we went back for another 30 minutes after a break. The second time, around 9am was already much busier and with more wind, so the earlier the better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in this lovely resort. Our room was spacious, clean and had a beautiful sea view.
Mark & Judith, managing the place, were helpful, very friendly and we enjoyed a lot chatting with them.
We tried diving for the first time and it was amazing as Mark as an instructor was very professional.
The food was delicious, especially eggs omlette and pancakes with mango.
All service was fantastic, friendly and smiling all the time.
They provided us with a motorbike to rent so we were able to go around and discover the beauty of Moalboal area (wild forest, waterfalls, white beaches) which is not crowded by tourists but it still has its true and wild character. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

As you can read, the reviews all say the same thing, many things have to add up and it’s here. The location, the well maintained resort, the room price and the staff hits jackpot for us. A big bonus is it is not a massive overpriced chain hotel, you can tell that the cash you bring in helps the locals, they are natural and helpful. Whites Beach further along is a perfect snorkling point, it is a great venue for locals to relax, if it was any nicer it would be ruined with to many tourists and starbucks.

Yes Moalboal isn’t the busiest of tourist attractions & Blue Orchid is at the end of the beach so 20 mins from the more lively Panagsama Beach area. But that is what we were looking for, it wasn’t a problem that the sandy coast isn’t below the resort, you still have access to the sea via stairs & it is a two minute walk to the next resort with the sandy beach below. No credit cards but Moalboal is hooked up now to use a machine (although the locals advise the ATM is often emptied, so make a visit soon after a refill, which is every couple of days). If you want to get out and mix with more people, check out the other resorts along the beach or head into Moalboal. We actually preferred the meals at Blue Orchid, which were simple, fresh & huge portions - kids loved it.

We were booked for 2 nights thankfully they let us stay another four, we had the resort to ourselves, swimming pool, snorkling, kayaking, investigating the rock pools, catching crabs, a boat trip on the Blue Orchid boat, there is canyoning, a waterfall trip and mountain bike tours with a guide can be organised (via Planet Action). If you can be relaxed doing nothing then you will be in paradise. And of course Diving is the main sport in this area.

Mark & the gorgeous Judit are exceptional hosts, we enjoyed the company in our time doing nothing. It is easy to send them an email or skype to see if they can accommodate you as the booking system doesn't always have all the information you need.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, if you want height book an upstairs room, if you are like us and prefer a fa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just spent a week at the blue orchid. Came in from a tiring business trip in Taiwan and really needed a place to rest and recharge. At the airport in cebu I was greeted by a smiley driver with my name card in big letters and taken to the entrance of the resort. When I stepped out to be greeted I encountered the most pleasant surprise.. an absolutely brilliant layout, lush vegetation, large swimming pool, finely done walking paths, a charming restaurant area, and this lovely ocean view gazebo I would often relax in. But the rooms, that was where they shone. They were private, huge, clean, bright and did much to give me the rest I hoped for. I could only describe the layout of my getaway as a some kind of posh swiss family robinson resort. By the third day all the royal treatment got me fully charged and I went snorkelling along the coral reefs that lay just off the shoreline of their beaches. I’ve visited the reefs in three countries; this was tops. The waters were calm, I could see out in every direction and the seas were teeming with life, a rarity. Staff even crafted this unique pathway that takes you directly out to the main reef line, something I've never quite seen done the same way. Next time I visit I will definitely go scuba diving with their master diver who was taking people out almost every day.

I also went into the nearby town a couple of times. That was good fun. I felt I was experiencing a real taste of a Philippine community there. They have a large marketplace where I picked up a few things at a bargain. The town was safe, a jewel, and a total plus in my books. I found the townspeople gracious, and they had a lot of tourist services, pizzerias, fish houses and all sorts of seaside restaurants for entertaining europeans, chinese, americans, japanese, I loved it. But the top of my list at the blue orchid, the thing that really made my stay worthwhile would defiantly be their food. I loved the food. The abundant staff were always preparing just what I asked for with a smile, and would add little finishing touches, garnishes, cute things to my plate to go the extra mile. I am grateful for all this because I craved a week of wholesome food and proper service. In summary, I felt from the moment I arrived I was well received and getting good value for my money. I am usually a picky traveller, already been to over 50 countries, and rarely find a place with the right balance of factors to make for a perfect holiday. This was it for me. I found my little paradise in the Philippines. I plan to return to for many years to come. Many thanks to the blue orchid.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a seaward view so it really doesn't matter what option you take. They do have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cebu Island, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

i'm so excited to visit this resort but it failed my expectations, the service was not that good, the beach was normal and the food was quite bland. well at least the rooms are large. the pool is quite ok. Moalboal is quite far from cebu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Blue Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!