“Excellent Upgrade” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Lloydminster, Canada
“Excellent Upgrade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

My friend & I booked for the Iberostar Maya and when we arrived received a free upgrade to the Grand. It really is Grand, very beautiful european decor. The rooms were big and comfortable. Beds like sleeping on a cloud. In the upgrade to the grand you get a butler for each section of the building your in, concierge desks available around the clock, unlimited a la carte resteraunts, service on the beach, etc etc. Very beautiful, and very luxurius. I found the a la cartes a little TOO gourmet for my tastes but the buffet and the Maya & Lindo had a lot of variety too so we tried a few different places just to mix it up. I don't suggest the caesar salad at the Surf & Turf unless you like anchovies.
The staff was curtious & friendly. The grand would be a great stay for honeymooners who want some quiet or older couples. A little too quiet for my tastes but still beautiful. The Maya & Lindo are family resorts but have a lot more going on all day long but you don't have all the luxuries as the Grand. I would certainly stay at any one of the Iberostars in this area again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Polish first
Dieppe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Just came back of 2 weeks (November 17th - December 1st 2010) from the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, Mexico. We did all our reservations with Mr Iberostar (internet), very competitive price, very good service....
First of all, I am sorry for my english, I am french speaking, but I really want to write in english for everybody to know what is nice to do or go etc.... I will not repeat what everybody says, we all know all about the hotel and the nice features (warm cloth and champagne, confy bed, clean place, beautiful pools, big rooms, etc).... I will let u discover it, it is magical!!! My main pros and cons for me was:
Pros:
1) Service (except for 2 persons -1 barman and 1 waitress- everybody was smiling all the time, helping us, fast service...)
2) Shows (except for the Mayas -sorry guys- all the other one were fantastic-) they are late at night, but you really need to see them, they are really really good.... and you have a bar service!!!
3) Food : (Except for the dessert -which is in my cons-) I do suggest to do all your reservations to the restaurants the first day. You'll see that they will try to send you to other hotels Iberostar : DON'T GO!!!!! It is NOT GOOD... you paid for quality, eat quality! We tried other hotels couple of times and talked with other couples who did too, we all think the same: it is a NO NO!!! Better eat at the buffet at the grand, really! The food taste better, you can see and taste the difference anyway.... you can try once and you'll see by yourself! The best restaurant for us was the surf and turf (the filet mignon is just the best!!!) Also, try the coconut ice cream and the spaghetti bolognese from the room service menu-soooooo good-
4) all the little things that you can read from the other reviews (clean place, most confortable bed ever, beautiful gardens, super pools, activities, etc)

Couples of extras before the cons that you need to know:
- If you want to eat at a certain restaurant, but there is no availability, you can always show up 20 minutes after the time of reservation : if they still have some space, they will take you!
- The best activity to do around if you are the kind of person for a little of action is XPLOR (we really did them all and it was our favorite), you drive an amphibicar in the jungle and in caves, you swim in beautiful caves, you do raft in cenote (caves with a lot of light -beautiful!!!) and you can do ziplines -they have 14 lines!- and an all inclusive buffet-
-The other activity that we do recommend is the chitchen itza, first because the pyramide is really nice, but also because they do combine a swim in a beautiful cenote (looks like the movie avatar!). The only problems: they advertise that we visit the city of valadolid, which is false, we do not visit it at all, the cenote is in the city but that is it and all around the pyramide (chitchen itza), there is tons and tons of sellers, you will have people all around you all the time, there is NO control, it is a real pest.... BUT it is the best place to buy your souvenirs, it is the cheapest place REALLY, we did visit tons of place and the price is nothing to compare.... and you can bargain.... so buy your stuff there!!!
- The cheapest place to buy tequila and find all the kind of alcohol you want is at the museum of tequila in playa del carmen on 5th avenue
- At the hotel, if you like sweet drink, try their mandarin sour, it is really good!
if you have other questions, I try almost everything, did almost all the activities, so do not hesitate, back to the cons:

Cons:
1) Beach: No bar at the beach, there is a guy who do the service, but I would like to have a bar also like the other hotels Iberostar... but no.
2) Beach again: Lots of rocks, you cannot swim in front of the hotel, forget it, there is big huge rocks in the water, you'll have a concussion if you go in the water there, you need to put you towel down and walk 10-15 minutes to go the Iberostar Maya to swim there where there is no rocks and cords and tons of kids running everywhere (I don't mind kids, there funny to watch, but if you prefer calm, hummm) then walk again to your towel and so on, back and forth. I don't know why they chose this location. This is ridiculus... anyway...
3) Certain drinks: lots of ice and watery, it seems that they should know how to do the best of the best. I wanted a tasty pina colada, but no, I had one in a little cheap restaurant in valadolid!! I would like to taste real strawberries in their daiquiri, but it taste chemical, they need to improve that.... but they put a beautiful pineapple on the top of each glass!
4) Pools : Just the fact that they are cold (for my taste...)
5) $ activities : you need to know that if you want to do parasailing or jetsky through the hotel (by the beach) they will charge you more because you stay at the grand (compare to the maya or the lindo) - better to go to Maroma beach, better price!!!- that is sad!!
6) massage price : really expensive spa.... they need to reduce their prices, a lady who works there told me that they are not busy at all, everybody complain of the prices!!!
7) Dessert in the buffet: the only food that I didn't enjoy, it looks good, but it does not taste good, they need to improve that. The ice cream, though, is good and tasty
8)A little bit far from everything:35 minutes from playa del carmen, almost a hour from cancun, 3 hours from chitchen itza, etc. so, lots of money to travel, But if you plan to stay at the hotel only, you'll be fine

In general, really good, I would recommend the hotel 100%. It was the most memorable 2 weeks of my life (and I traveled a lot as you can see in my profile)... Do not hesitate to ask me questions! Have a nice trip!!

Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

My friend and I booked for the end of November at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and ended up being upgraded to the Grand. The 18+ resort was quieter than it's counterparts, while still maintaining a great atmosphere. The food was really good, even with only one buffet available. We tried the Italian and Surf & Turf a la cartes as well as the Japanese restaurant at the Maya and all three were very good. The room service was quick and tasty, even sticking with classics like the yummy Iberostar club. The salt water swim up bar was well staffed and Roberto kept us with constant drinks. Gym was well equipped and many daily activities were offered at the Maya and Grand. The ocean was mostly red flagged while we were there, but going further to the left, into the Maya/Lindo areas of the ocean where there were fewer rocks was still nice to dip your feet. The maid service was stellar and the 24 hour concierge and butler was very handy. We did make it to one show, Boogie Nights, and it was entertaining for everyone. Shopping at the resort Plaza was even very reasonable, where I found this not to be the case in the Dominican. Overall, a great week in the Riviera Maya!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

First I would like to say that I read all the reviews on tripadvior, the Iberostar Board, Actran's blog, Monarc reviews etc before going to the Grand. Thanks to all the reviews I was well prepared for my vacation. I learned from others that I could book the a la carte dinners and golf tee times via email before we got to the resort and that's what I did. I also knew that on Wednesday and Sunday nights there were dinner buffets available.

I was there from Nov 14-21 with my husband and another couple. We are in our 40's and we were there to celebrate both of our 20th wedding anniversary. This is our first trip to the Grand and our first experience with the Iberostar chain. We filled our vacation with golf, food/drinks and activities. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Grand.

The grounds- quiet and elegant. All 5 of the Iberostar resorts are beautiful in their own way. I ran through the compound several times during my stay. I noted that my teenagers would really enjoy the facilities at the other Iberostars.

The room - beautiful and clean. The internet worked well and we were able to keep in touch with our kids back home. Our mini fridge was restocked everyday with lots of water as per our request. One day a vase of beautiful fresh flowers showed up in our room. That was a nice touch.

Butler service- we saw our butler when we arrived at the resort. I did not see him again for the rest of our stay. However I did not miss him as I did not need anything from him. I knew that he was a "button" away (there is a call button on the phone for the butler) should I need him.

Food- great all around. We were impressed with the quality and variety of food. We had a minor issue with our steak not done to our request but it was quickly rectified. I love seafood and had my fill of lobster, fish and shrimps. At one of the night time buffets I had some delicious grilled scallops. We ate at all of the a la carte restaurants and enjoyed them all.

Staff- was great overall. Some staff were more friendly than others but all were courteous, efficient and professional. Daniel the bartender at the Lobby bar was chatty and fun. Room service was always on time. I had a server (sorry but can't remember his name)at breakfast that was extra attentive and friendly. What a nice way to start the day.

Star Friends- We participated in many different activities such as yoga, water aerobics, spin class, volleyball, water vollyball, and bike tour. The Star Friends were great in leading the activities. I particularly enjoyed the spin class with Eder and Fania. I also enjoyed my yoga session with Luigi. Luigi did not let me slack off!

Golf- my husband loves to golf. He was very happy that my two round of golf were transferable to him. He golfed 4 times and raved about the course. There was not an extra charge for golf carts unlike many other resorts. This is a minor detail but hubby said that the toasted sandwich that he had on the course was very tasty. My husband golfed at 7AM and was back at the Grand by 11AM.

Drinks- I was very happy with the variety of wine available at dinner. I have never had so many options before at other AI. I did not like mojitos before this trip...now I am a huge fan. My husband tried a different red wine at each a la carte restaurant. He also enjoyed a few Grey Goose and soda.

Beach- we were out on the beach on most days. My husband said the waves in the ocean were alot of fun. We played beach volleyball, football and tossed a frisbee a few times. The sand is fine and lovely. I walked to Maroma beach once. Maroma beach is nice but I'm not sure why it is rated as one of the best in the world.

Shows- I enjoyed what I saw of the shows. On most nights I was too tired to stay up for the whole show.

I would recommend this resort to friends and family. We had a great vacation and would love to come back in the future....hopefully soon.

Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We just returned from a third trip to the Grand and a fourth visit to an Iberostar resort. This is the only resort we have ever returned to and our second visit was even better than the first. Unfortunately I can not say the same about our third trip because of issues we had with the food and drinks.
First the positives..The room is exceptionally comfortable with good beds. We did not use much out of our mini bar but it was filled promptly. We received welcome back gifts on the first day and we were upgraded to an oceanview room at no additional cost. We did ask about upgrading to oceanfront but the $100 a night price was too steep for us.
The service was once again exceptional. I do believe that there have been cutbacks to staff but the ones who remain work so hard. We had great service at the bars and restaurants every day. Many staff remembered us from previous visits and welcomed us back warmly.
The Star Friends are wonderful and a real asset to the resort. We did not participate in a lot of activities but when we did the were a lot of fun because of the staff. After the international buffet on Wednesday we had a number of them sitting with us and talking to us about there lives and dreams. Such a nice bunch of young people.
The golf course is really good. We enjoyed our three rounds so much and the cost of the round not included was very reasonable for such a good course. We were able to reschedule a rained out game easily. They seemed a bit short staffed early in the morning but tried really hard. We were able to play each day in just over three hours and still have lots of time at the beach.
I think the beach is actually getting better over time. There seem to be less rocks in front each year. It was very wavy so we did not go in very far but we walked the beach for miles every day and really enjoyed it.
We did not go to a single show this year and only went over to the disco one night. For the first time the disco was filled with very young people and we did not recognize any of the music so we left. Not a big deal to us. They looked like they were having a great time.
We met a lot of really nice people. As always there is a real range of ages but everyone is exceptionally friendly. We were really happy to recognize a number of people from last year.
The not so good...The food was a major disappointment this year. Breakfast was still good. We ate a lot of fruit and the eggs are good. My husband really enjoyed the french toast.
In previous years we have really enjoyed lunch at the ocean front restaurant. I would say it was our favourite meal of the day. We would drink wine while watching the waves and order off the menu. We did this for the first couple of days too but one day when we tried to go for lunch we realized it was closed and it never reopened on our visit. Lunch was offered at the main buffet overlooking the pool. Some food was cooked outside and a small buffet was offered inside. I was looking forward to the fish of the day or the shrimp faijitas but instead got tacos and pizza.
We made all of our dinner reservations ahead by email. Two of those were cancelled and replaced by buffets. We were not worried as buffets in the past have been quite good but the variety available in the past was not there this time. We had one really good dinner a the steak house and on the other occassion my steak was raw. We were disappointed because we know what a good job they can do but this was not our experience this time. We ate little at dinner because the food was just not that great. We did fill out a survey to tell them about this problem and spoke to one of the chefs (Olivia) who was not very receptive about the issue.
The bartenders are great and do their best with what is provided but this year we found the drinks to be very watered down. We drink vodka martinis before dinner and the vodka was definitely a bit on the light side. You will not notice if you only drink mixed drinks.
The butler service should be discontinued or improved. For the second year in a row we never saw our butler at all. Others told us about the things that were done for them. The Grand needs to get more consistant about this feature. We were able to get whatever we needed from the concierge or room service but were never offered a bottle in the room or a pillow menu etc.
We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation but I don't think we will be returning because of the obvious cutbacks. I think things a slipping a bit and I hope the Grand can get it together because I have recommended this resort to a number of people in the past.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Had an awesome time... adults only, great service, loved my swing on the balcony, while
sipping my wine. Food was great (thanks to Chef Olivia). Felt like a queen (thanks to Butler Annawar). Loved the room, always cleaned perfectly and my bed was so comfy. My
husband was in awe when we arrived. He can't stop talking about this place, (I can't either). Everyone that works there is so friendly and helpful. Star Friends are great. I love
the golf cart service. Why walk, when you can ride! Very funny waiters, they were all great!
Love ya, Charly!!!.... and all the rest of you guys. Ladies...keep up the good job. You are all
awesome. Hi Dianna!

Michele T. (pilgrim lady)

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

This is as good as it gets. Stunning hotel. Adults only. Great service - beautiful rooms - salt water main pool overlooking the beach - serenity pool (shhh) - heated indoor pool - hot tubs everywhere including your room - terrific shows at night - 24 hour room service - butler service - concierge service on each floor - and the food. I love lobster and 4 out of 7 days I had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with other yummy foods. Every lunch I started out with 2 grilled 1/2 lobsters and a tenderloin steak wrapped in bacon. They have 6 restaurants plus the buffet. The people could not have been kinder. There are several Iberostar hotels in Mexico and this is their finest.
I have stayed at many warm weather resorts over the years but this tops them all.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!