“GRAND as usual!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
“GRAND as usual!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Grand is the word for this hotel.Traveled with a large group Nov.4-8,our third trip here and we never tire of this place.We had some problems with dinner reservations but understand thats its the off season and a bad economy.After some prodding ,reservations were made.Absolutely a great vaue!

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Polish first
out east
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Returned from the Grand in October 2010 and I hope my observations may be helpful to a potential traveler.

Transport: Flights were not a problem. Flew directly into Cancun with no layovers. Customs and luggage were very quick and easy on the Cancun side. Wife was stopped and had her backpack searched by a customs official and his dog. Smart dog. Our attempt to smuggle bananas into the country was foiled. My dream of forming the Cowboy Cartel for banana smuggling was dashed by this dedicated 4 legged public servant. Used USA Transfers for the ground transport to the hotel. Excellent service and Brant who runs the operation could not have been more helpful in answering my numerous questions. Will certainly use them in the future.

Check in: Check in was very smooth and without drama. We arrived at 1:45pm and was told the room would not be ready until 2:30pm. We received our bands and a cool drink (Choice of champagne or a Mango Sour) A cart was summoned and we were taken to the lunch buffet. After lunch a cart was called and we were returned to the desk at 2:30pm. Room was ready. I had requested room 7255 based upon a prior review. This room was not available but the hotel gave us the adjoining room which was fine. More on the reasoning behind this choice shortly. Impressed by the fact that the hotel does not ask for a credit card at check in for incidentals. Nice touch. Also no pressure to upgrade rooms and the prices for each level of upgrade were posted at the desk. We did not ask for an upgrade nor was any attempt made by the desk to induce us into one.

Grounds: The grounds are lovely and the landscape design plan is wonderful. Much thought was obviously given to the variety of trees and plants along with their location. A botanist (which I am not) would have a sturdy challenge to identify all the different types of fauna. It really was amazing. The grounds also provide a habitat for many species of animals. Observed peacocks, birds, lizards, Mexican raccoons (really neat) and a family of cats. The animals really add to the natural beauty of the premises.

Room: We had requested room 7255 based upon a prior review. The reasoning was we wanted a quiet room on a higher floor close to everything. We received the room next door which was fine. If you do not want or need an ocean view or oceanfront, seriously consider this room or a similar one. This room is centrally located between the front desk area and the dining rooms. It has a peaceful balcony with a view of the quiet pool which is great for late afternoon cocktails or reading. The room is also close to the gym and the spa. Room itself has a seating area, desk, mini bar, coffee maker, ironing board and iron and safe. There is also an ipod dock next to the bed along with a master light switch which allows you turn off the lights with out arising. The bathroom has double doors which open unto the jacuzzi tub. To each side are sinks with the shower stall being on one side and an enclosed toilet on the other. The toilet enclosure was a bit strange and the shower size precludes anything more than solo bathing. The room upon arrival did exhibit a bit of a musty smell. I had ordered from the butler tea candles which I used each evening. The candles come 3 to an order for about $1.50 and this remedied the musty smell. The only problem with the room occurred on the first day when we had no hot water. Wife was forced to take a cold shower but after the water had been running for 45 mins the hot water made an appearance and we never had this problem again. I have no explanation for this but we did not have to report the problem.

Butler: Butler service was exceptional and exceeded my expectations. My expectation being after I passed a gratuity to the butler on the first day he would do his best Houdini impression and disappear. This was not the case. Shortly after arrival, the butler arrived and asked what requests we had and explained what his role was. I ordered a bottle of wine as well as a bottle of Havana Club and some limes. I also ordered bananas for each morning as a pre-gym snack. These were delivered promptly. Your butler will draw your bath and will be the person to bring your ice. The butler will also make sure your selections from the pillow menu are delivered. I asked on the first day for candles each day and a bath for the wife to be drawn every evening prior to dinner. This was done without having to ask a second time. Our two butlers also made it a point to ask us each day if there was anything we needed without being intrusive. I am grateful for their caring service.

Drinks/Drink Service: Never an issue. Top shelf liquors and palatable wines on the inclusive list. Try the Mandarin Sours if you need a break from whiskey. Very tasty. Never a problem getting a drink whether it be by the activity pool, swim up bar, beach or tranquility pool. I, as a cowboy, tend to drink early and often and I never waited for a drink. As the alcohol flows freely, the Bubba kegs can remain at home. I will note, that I used the gym and spa pool quite a bit and the juice bar was frequently unattended. So it was hit or miss for an after work out smoothie.

Pools: Three pools, a large salt water activity pool, a quiet pool and indoor pool in the spa building. The outdoor pools had ample seating, and although played by some the towel game was not necessary. That being said the hotel had about 40% occupancy so it may be different at 100%. Plenty of shaded spots as well at both pools. Indoor pool was great and offered a variety of hydro massages at no charge. The indoor pool also came in handy when we had a rainy morning. Set up shop there until the sun returned. A nice option also in the event you catch to much sun. Also note, the activity pools jacuzzi was not a hot tub. Temp was the same as the pool. You need to go to the quiet pool for a true hot tub.

Beach: We spent the majority of our time on the beach. Plenty of shaded palapas and comfy loungers. If you want to imagine this beach, think of the Corona commercials. I performed a personal reenactment with a bucket of Coronas and limes each day. We had the beach almost to ourselves each day and still received great service. Hint. At present it appears that the building on the right if you are facing the ocean is not being used in the slow season while the left side building is occupied. The beach on the left, closest to the Maya was crowded with nearly every palapa taken. The beach on the right was pretty deserted. In order to swim, however, you must walk down the beach toward the Maya. We did take a long walk down to Secrets at Maroma Beach. Secrets was much more crowded and I think Playa Paraiso is as nice as Maroma but decide for yourself. Maroma had more seaweed in front of Secrets and it seemed much more active as you have a few other resorts in the vicinity whereas at the Iberostar to the right of the Grand is deserted. Also check out the Maroma Resort and Spa on the way to Secrets. You will know it when you see it. The walk should take about 30-45 mins each way and you might want to wear sandals as parts can be rocky.

Gym: We used the gym each morning except for the last day. The gym is small. Three treadmills and three other cardio machines as well as one bike. Gym can be crowded before breakfast but we got in around 8am each morning and usually got the equipment we wanted. After 8am all bets are off. Also, one free bench only and limited dumbbells. Heaviest weight being 60 pounds. The machines were in good working order but limited in nature. Two chest, one shoulder, one dip, one bicep, one tri, two leg, an ab machine and one station round out the equipment. The gym had a problem cooling down. Temp was always 23.5C or hot in English. Cowboy was forced on a couple of days to dig out a fan hidden behind some equipment to try to cool the place down. Please note the sauna and steam room in the mens and womens locker rooms are not operating at present. Best guess from staff is they will be operational again in December.

Spa: Did not use it and did not see it. Although I've never been there they tell me it's nice. Wife did use it for a massage and an exfoliation and enjoyed both. She had her services in the on site spa. There is also a spa for the complex near the commercial center. Additionally, on the beach there is a palapa where you can receive a massage with the ocean in the background.

Entertainment/Shows: Only attended two shows but they exceeded my expectations. The magic show had a world class magician and the Broadway revue had some great singers. The resort hires talent as the headliners and the star friends supplement the group. I had no intention of attending any of the shows prior to arrival but they really were much better than expected.

Staff: The staff are really what makes this resort special. Service is impeccable and they try very hard to get to know your names and your preferences. After the first two days Humberto, our breakfast waiter knew what coffees and juices we liked and brought them over to the table without asking. Chef Olivia is charming and thoughtful. Eder and David of the Star Friends have a great sense of humor and put up my teasing. Alejandra the hostess and Luis the table captain were also exceptional. In addition to your gratuities you can also return the kindness of the staff by singling them out to management. I did this in two ways. First, on the Wednesday buffet, you will be given a customer satisfaction survey. I learned from the staff that it is very helpful for their prospects of promotion if you single them out by name. Iberostar really does want your comments and does use them in evaluating staff. The second way is to introduce yourself to the managers and tell them if someone gave you exceptional service. If you pay attention you can figure out who the higher ups are. I met the head of the Star Friends and the Head Chef of the resort told them about certain employees who went above and beyond. These people work 12 hour days, six days a week and never fail to have a smile or a kind word. I cannot express my gratitude for their hospitality enough.

Resort Complex: The complex itself is large and a world unto itself. That being said, I saw very little of the other hotels. If you are interested in what the complex has to offer, I suggest taking a bike tour. Twice a day, at 10am and 4pm, the Star Friends will lead those interested on a guided bike tour of the complex. The wife took the tour and enjoyed it. I was precluded from joining her as I have a medical condition which requires my blood alcohol to remain at a high level when I am on vacation. My physician prescribed a regime that included five drinks per hour, every hour, every afternoon. Thus it was inadvisable for me to stray to far from a bartender.

Activities: The hotel offers just about any activity you can imagine. An active person will never be bored. Two rounds of golf are included in your stay along with tennis, sailing kayaking, beach volleyball, pool basketball, dive lessons...the list is enormous. The ocean activities are located at a hut between the Grand and the Maya. Further down the beach you can parasail or jet ski. If the red flag is up you cannot kayak. If the water is rougher, they will not allow you to sail. Sadly, due to the medical condition described above, I was unable to participate in these activities.

Excursions: There are numerous excursions you can purchase from the tour operators in the hotel lobby. You can also purchase prior to departure diving and snorkeling trips from Dressel Divers who has two locations on the complex. We were torn about leaving the resort for an excursion but finally decided on a trip to Isla Mujeres. For about $100 per person you receive transport to and from the hotel to the Cancun Marina, you sail from Cancun to the Isla, snorkel offshore for 45 mins, shop for 1.5 hours, sail again for 30 mins, have a buffet lunch on the beach and sail back to Cancun. All food and drinks are included. If you are looking for a pure snorkeling experience you should probably try a different excursion as I have snorkeled twice off Isla and I can only describe it as decent at best. However, the other parts of this excursion make it worthwhile. It is adult only and the crew is terrific. The drinks flow freely and if conditions are right you can do a mini parasail right from the boat. Really cool. Special thanks to our new friends from Canada, Jenny and Jason who helped make it such a great time. I purchased this excursion right from the resort. It will be an all day excursion.

Food: This is for me the most difficult part of the review. Palates, like opinions can vary. I will only describe to you what I observed and felt during the meals. To sum it up in a sentence, the presentation was perfect but the execution of the dishes failed at times.

Breakfast: We only did the buffet and not a la carte or room service. Standard choices, eggs cooked to order, mini waffles, mini pancakes, breakfast meats, etc. Also available are many Mexican dishes, salads, fruits, juices, cereals and breads. You can ask Chef Olivia to make you a fresh fruit smoothie as well. Only breakfast issue was some undercooked eggs on the first day.

Lunch: We did a combo each day of the a la carte lunch along with the buffet. Best thing I ate at the resort were the jumbo grilled shrimp on the a la carte lunch menu. Had them every day except for the first day. First day, I tried the lobster and it was over cooked and rubbery. Shrimp was always grilled perfectly. These suckers are messy so ask for extra napkins. Also a word of caution, they are served European style with the head attached and the shell intact. This turned off some other diners. Wife ordered the fresh fish every day from the a la carte. The grouper and red snapper were excellent. Probably he best red snapper i have tried. The swordfish and salmon were not so great. Swordfish was overcooked and the salmon undercooked. Wife also had a Kobe burger the first day that was also overcooked. The buffet offers a selection of meat, fish and Mexican dishes as well as salads, fruit, paella, rice, potatoes, etc. Buffet items can be hit or miss depending on your taste. The cheese selection was great and the resort offers an amazing Brie and an amazing Blue on a daily basis. Service was excellent. On a personal note we dined outside each day for lunch and were befriended by a family of cats who inhabit the resort. You would be doing this cowboy a great service if you would look after these friends by sharing your lunch with them as well as some affection. They certainly appreciate it.

Dinners: Consistency and execution were the biggest problems dinner wise. Some dishes were good others not so much. I would not consider any of the food great. The first night we tried the Japanese. The tuna sashimi was more like a carpaccio but pretty good nonetheless. The shrimp tempura also good. The hibachi steak and lobster not so good. Both were under seasoned and overcooked. The veggies and fried rice were good. This pretty much set the tone for most dinners. Great service, great atmosphere and inconsistent food. We did make friends with the two other couples at the table and stayed so late they almost threw us out, so overall a good night.

Second night we tried the Steakhouse. The spouse had a double cut fillet cooked perfectly, I had a rib eye that was over cooked despite telling the waiter I wanted it muy rojo. They also forgot my lobster tail. They have an interesting interpretation of Caesar salad about which I cannot make up my mind as to whether I liked it despite having it twice. They also forgot our intermezzo. We made up for this by ordering the sorbet as a dessert and it was delicious. Service again excellent. Nice atmosphere but try to be seated away from large parties as the noise can carry in the dining rooms. We observed one couple actually walk out before being served because of the noise from a large group. Probably an over reaction but the group was a bit rowdy. This happened one another occasion but was the exception rather than the rule. The second time we ate here on the last night, the meal was more consistent and the meat was cooked properly. They also brought me an extra tail after I requested another to go with my fillet. I think you will do better with the fillet here than the other cuts of beef.

Italian: Again inconsistent. The caprese salad was good. The risotto, both the lobster and the mushroom (we each tried one) very good. The lamb, not so good. We both prefer our lamb rare. Her's was mid rare at best and mine was mid well. Presentation wonderful as was the service. Very pretty dining room and you can also dine outdoors as well.

Gourmet: My least favorite. In fact we were scheduled for two dinners here and changed back to the steak house after the first. The room is very elegant and the service as usual excellent but the execution of the dishes was a problem. For example, I started with their interpretation of onion soup. The broth was bland and the soup was room temp, not hot. I will eat soup that is hot and soup that is cold but you lose me on room temp. soup. Also had the lamb again, and again overcooked. Trust me when I tell you I was being clear on my cooking preferences so it is kind of inexplicable that we had these problems. The potatoes served with the lamb were excellent and worthy of any gourmet dining room. That is what was most frustrating about the a la carte dining rooms. On the same plate you can have such inconsistency.

Interestingly enough, the buffets were the two best dinners we had. Interesting in the sense we are not buffet diners and did not realize prior to departure that on Wednesday and Sunday you do not have the choice of any a la carte dining and must use the buffets. This is my fault for not asking but the buffets are great. Sunday is the Mexican buffet and Wednesday the International. Both offer a myriad of choices and everything I tried both nights was very good. On the international night you can even have your steak cooked to order while you wait. Chef Olivia is wonderful.

Overall, I would say the a la carte dining is about two notches below Grand Velas and maybe a notch below a good cruise line. This is not to say that the food was inedible. Quite the opposite. It was the inconsistency that was frustrating. You will receive great service and you will dine in an elegant and romantic setting and this goes a long way to off set problems with the execution of the dishes.

Business Center: The business center is really more of a library with internet access. There is no printer in the room. However, if you need to print boarding passes here is a tip. Get the desk clerk to give you the email to the front desk (sorry I did not save it) and then email the boarding passes to the front desk. The clerk can then print them for you. Staff is always willing to assist in any way possible which makes this hotel so special. Please note if you want to change dollars into pesos at the desk you will need your passport. I forgot this fact twice.

Check out: The night prior to departure you are presented with a bill for review of any incidental expenses or spa charges. The bill was accurate and no issues paying it the next day. Ground transport from USA was right on time and no issues returning to the airport.

Stay at this hotel. Stay here if you want a great beach, a relaxing atmosphere, a place to re-connect with a loved one and great service. The service here is as good as anywhere I have ever stayed. It is also more personal as the staff makes an effort to get to know you as an individual. I am telling you that despite my observations regarding the food, we intend to return here as soon as possible. We generally like to try new places each vacation but we will be hard pressed not to return here as soon as we are able.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

My expectations were very high for this resort...perhaps that was the problem. However, I'm reasonably certain it had more to do with the fact I was using points to stay there.
My daughter and I were there to attend a wedding of her college friends. The wedding party of 50+ were staying at the Iberostar Del Mar, but because I prefer adults only resorts, I wanted to stay here. Big mistake!!!

I've stayed at El Dorado Royale, El Dorado Seaside, Couple Swept Away, Sandals MoBay, as well as several Riu's, Beaches Negril...you get the idea...I've stayed at a lot of all inclusives, including the Iberostar Del Mar when there were no other Iberostars.

First, good points: Grounds are lovely, suites are beautiful, resort itself is outstanding. Food at the ala carte restaurants is beyond outstanding!!!

Here comes the bad, and I apologize for the length....

Day #1: Check in was fine, room was ready at 12 noon when we arrived. Oddly enough, we were told at check in that we were being upgraded because we were going to inconvenienced by a large wedding party. Nothing like starting things off on a positive note! I didn't think anything of it, and never once were we inconvenienced by any wedding party. We took off to the Del Mar almost immediately to the Del Mar to meet up with the group. Upon our return at about 4:30 to get ready for the rehearsal dinner, it was discovered we had no hot water. I called to the concierge to ask if there was a problem. That had no report of it, but who comes in from the beach at 4:30? There was a staff member in our room within minutes, who proceeded to run the faucets for about 20 mins., but had no idea what was wrong. My daughter jumped in to take a cold shower so she could be on time while he went to get maintenence.
An hour later, I have, what I assume now, was the "butler" and 2 maintenence persons, standing in my bathroom, once again, running faucets...like that was going to fix the problem! At least 6 times over the next few hours, there were people walking in and out of my suite, without knocking.
Finally, the "butler" (the reason I use the quotes is he never introduced himself as to what his purpose was) came out to the terrace and told me it would be about an hour or so until I would have hot water. It's now 6:30...so I'm missing the rehearsal dinner. After an hour, I check the water again...no hot water. I wait another 30 mins...no hot water! Now I'm really ticked off. I had called the front desk a couple times and the answer was always "10 more mins". I finally went to the front desk and asked them to move me to an area of the resort that had hot water. I was informed that the concierge said I now had hot water. Funny, because I had just checked it before I went down. So....I stopped at the concierge desk. She looked at me and laughed and said "You only reported this at 7:20 pm!" WHAT???? She basically dismissed me...but better yet, she never even asked me what my room number was, so I'm guessing it was someone else who reported it.
A guest relations person came to the room, and make no mistake, I was furious at this point, and at that point, there was hot water again. 4 hours later...however she continued to tell me it had only been 30 minutes!!!!!! I wanted to shoot someone!!! I told her I wanted to move to the Iberostar Maya the next day, as I felt lines of communication had broken down and I wanted to start fresh. She told me to come to the front desk in the morning and talk with her and the manager, Wendy. Regardless...evening was lost! Get in the jacuzzi and call it a day...it took an hour to fill!!! OMG!!!

Day #2: Had some things to do with the group, spent some time on the beach, which is beautiful, although the beaches at the Maya, Lindo, and Del Mar are more swimable. The beach at the Grand has some coral, which is fine with me, but you don't want to walk out without aqua socks.
Went to the front desk at about 1:30 pm with my daughter (who speaks fluent Spanish) and asked for Wendy. We were told she would be right out. Nope...Shirley, from customer relations...who apologized profusesly...again saying it was only 30 mins we were without hot water...and refused to move us, but offered us a 30 min "relaxation" massage so we could start over. I wasn't thrilled the offer, but my daughter just wanted to get it over with, so we took it and went off to get ready for a 4PM wedding. The wedding was nothing short of amazing, as was the dinner/reception. Everything was done to absolute perfection!

Day #3: Most of the day was spent at the Grand. Very poor service at both breakfast and lunch. I wanted to order from the menu at both, asked the waiters, and they never reappeared. I ended up going to the buffet...ugh...I'm not a buffet lover, which is why I try to stay at nicer resorts. Dinner this evening was at Tony's, and it exceeded any expectations I had!! Service was amazing, food and wine selection to die for~
There was a group of Spanish speaking people sitting near us complaining to the waiter about the general service at the resort...not at this restaurant...just that they were not at all happy.

Day #4: Had an early morning tour to Tulum. I've been there before, but my daughter and others in our group had not. We went down to breakfast and were informed they didn't open until 7AM, but they graciously allowed us to come in and sit down and start eating something 15 mins early. It was greatly appreciated. A bonus was our waiter, Luis, from Tony's the previous night, was there working breakfast. He was a doll!!!

Had my spa appointment scheduled for 6PM. Called to reconfirm. They said it would be at the shopping center. I asked that it not be there, but at the Grand. 3 phone conversations later, Yes...confirmed at the Grand, even though they were "having music problems". I wanted to spend some time in the theraputic pool there after my massage.
I stopped at the concierge desk to make reservations for dinner and was told the spa at the Grand wasn't even open!!!! Oh c'mon now!~ I've had 3 conversations about this appt!!! I was disgusted and went to my room to cry it out!!! My "butler" (and again, don't be impressed by their "butler" service...it means nothing!) agreed that they have some serious communication issues, and in my case it wasn't a language barrier.
I ended up going to the Del Mar and meeting with the remainder of the group that was still in Mexico. Not a great meal, but good company!!! The concierge had never bothered to call me back about my dinner reservations anyway.

Other points: Mini bar, never refilled; In room coffee, maids never replenished it, had to call to get more a couple of mornings.

In conclusion...this is a beautiful resort with outstanding accommodations, beach and food, but what makes a resort a 5 star resort is it's service...and that is terribly lacking here!

• Stayed October 2010
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Having stayed at the Iberostar in Montego Bay twice and in Punta Cana once, I was looking forward to staying here. I must admit I have nothing bad to say about the Iberostar hotels. The hotel rooms are essentially the same in all the Iberostar hotels. They are comfortable, clean, and attractive. The service was excellent. Room service indicated it would take 20 minutes and I waited less than 10 minutes. At the restaurants and buffets, service was impeccable. They aim to please and are very attentive. There are three pools on the premises. One large salt water pool is where the activities are and there is a swim-up bar and four spas. There is a fresh water pool with two hot tubs. This is called the tranquility pool and is a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. There is an indoor pool which also houses the gym and the spa. The indoor pool also has two hot tubs. Additionally, there are stations throughout the pool where there are various water jets that offer a nice soothing massage. A great way to end the day! The ocean is fabulous. There was ample seating everywhere but occupancy was not very high. Plenty of towels available as well.
As food is subjective I will briefly say that my friends and I liked the Surf and Turf restaurant the best. I was disappointed in the Gourmet (French) as it was the better restaurant in the other Iberostar hotels but not as great at this one. Honestly, it is hard for me to believe anyone would not enjoy this hotel. We had great weather which only enhanced our experience. The hotel is large and there is some walking involved but really not that bad and the walk is picturesque as the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dumbarton, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We were fortunate enough to stay in this magnificent hotel for 14 nights in late October 2010. There is only one word to describe this hotel - AMAZING. We have been to many resorts in the World and the Iberostar Grand Paraiso beats them all hands down.
The Junior Suites are extremely spacious and well furnished with a huge bed which is extremely comfortable, each has a separate relaxation area, a balcony with a 2 person hammock and sofa. The bathroom is huge with a jacuzzi bath, separate shower and his and her sinks, you also get your own bathrobe and slippers. There is also a large TV and a minibar which is restocked with premium spirits, wine, beer & soft drinks daily.
There are 2 buffet restaurants where you will find a wide selection of dishes to suit all tastes or you can order from the menu which includes fillet steak and lobster.
There are 4 speciality restaurants:- Venecia (Italian), Toni's (Surf & Turf), Haiku (Japanese) and L'Ateller (International). We found all these to be excellent but our favourite was Haiku where we were fortunate enough to get a Teppanyaki table where our dinner was freshly coked in front of us, "Delicious".
The spirits at the Grand are all top notch premium brands and there are 18 different beers to choose from, there are over 30 wines in the all inclusive list also.
We found all the staff at the Grand to be extremely friendly and pleasant with everyone making time to speak to you.
Special mention must go Emilio (our favourite waiter), Lupita (our favourite waitress at the Lobby Bar who was always smiling and ensured our glasses were always full) and not forgetting all the Star Friends who not only entertained us at the pool throughout the day but also kept us entertained with some fabulous shows in the hotel theatre in the evenings (don't miss the Rock Show). Special mention to Star Friends:- David, Eder & Chris whom we had some fantastic fun with throughout our vacation.
The service was the same whether you left a gratuity or not, but we always reward excellent service, so please tip the staff who deserve it.
We cannot wait to go back to the Grand Hotel Paraiso. To sum up in one word:- FANTASTICO!!!!!!!!!!

Mukwonago, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I was just overwhelmed with the beauty, it was so much more than I had expected. I have never stayed at a place so elegant. The staff (everyone) was so friendly, they went out of their way to make sure your every want or need was fulfilled. It was so clean and beautifully appointed. The food at all of the restaurants was outstanding, even the buffetts were fresh and delicious. The selections of food was very international, something for everyone.
BEWARE : On your exit from the airport, be aware of "officially dressed people" they appear to be helping with transfers and directions, they are actually trying to persuade you to view properties for free excursions. They say the tour only last 90 minutes, we were there for 5 hours. It was dishonest the way they represented themselves, and remember if it sounds to good to be true...it probably is. Check out other reviews on this problem.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

WOW - WOW - WOW !
We stayed here for our honeymoon a few weeks ago & were blown away by pretty much everything, grounds, room, staff and food.
We stayed in an oceanfront room for one week & it was amazing. Worth every penny & I am now spoiled. That gorgeous view was just breathtaking & although we did not spend a whole lot of time in the room, I still loved coming back to & waking up to that beautiful view each day of our stay.

The grounds are really nice & so well kept. Our room was spotless, cleaned every day & we saw our butler(s) almost every day as well...they always asked if we needed anything, since we are pretty low maintenance, we really never asked for anything.
We are pool people but have to admit that the Grand has a very pretty beach & had we stayed a few more days, we'd have spent a day at the beach. Instead we stayed by the pool making a ton of new friends....hi to all our new friends & to Marcelino & Roberto who kept our cocktails flowing with a smile. They remembered our names from day one & were quick to get us whatever we wanted. You guys rock !!
A special thanks & hello to the Star friends too...they MADE our trip. Master David, Eder, Minero & the rest of the gang. We love you guys !! Thnaks for making our trip so memorable & special.

Food was excellent with the Surf & Turf being our fav....Japanese & Gourmet being next & the Italian comes in last. Service at all places was excellent. Even the buffet at breakfast & lunch was really good.
We would recommend this place in a heartbeat.
I am actually considering coming back next Oct for my 50th, it was that good. We like to mix things up & try new places but I have to say I can't wait to go back !

Thnx also to Kellie from Go Iberostar.com Awesome to work with, we will use her again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!