“Amazing (Again)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Cambridge, Canada
“Amazing (Again)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

My husband and I spent 7 nights at the Iberostar Paraiso Grand again this year (2nd year in a row). It was fabulous again! We had no desire to leave the resort, and didn't. Everything from the facilities to the food to the service was fantastic. People who work behind the scenes and those on the forefront need to know that they are doing a great job. Whether you want to relax or get involved in activities, you will be fully satisfied (spa area, quiet pool, activity pool, beach)....

Everyone at work laughed when I said they needed to check out the pics I took of the bathrooms - but then they saw them and understood.

I highly recommend this resort to those that are looking for R&R - you will be well looked after....

We will return next year (and again be greeted with "Welcome home").

3,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I just returned from a 5day/4night stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. I had an ocean front suite with a spectacular view . Getting to the beach was effortless. The room was spotless and had everything one would need. I chose to spend my time at the beach rather than the pool. Both had comfortable rattan loungers and cabanas available. Towels were plentiful; no card required. The grounds were exquisite and well maintained.

There were ample restaurant choices. Both the breakfast and lunch buffets had a nice variety. I chose to eat dinner at the French, Italian and steak house restaurants. The food and service were both wonderful. My favorite meal was at the Sunday Mariachi night buffet. So many fantastic Mexican specialties plus an entertaining Mariachi band.

Being a solo traveler I never felt uncomfortable as the staff was very welcoming. They even sang Happy Birthday at dinner and presented me with decorated dessert!

The service was outstanding!! Some exceptional employees were my butlers Alejandro and Victor who were attentive without being forward or pushy. Reception clerks Natalie, Leyre and Karen were delightful and very helpful. All of the waiters were terrific especially Marco and Reyes. Bellhops such as Christian were friendly and quick to assist. A new staff member, Jazmin was a joy! All staff were hardworking and obviously proud of this establishment.

This was my 5th time to Riviera Maya but my first time at an Adults Only resort. Being single I appreciated the absence of screaming children in close proximity. However, I was concerned that I would feel awkward with what I expected to be a primarily "couples" resort. Not so!! There were many groups of travelers of all ages, not just young honeymooners!!

I can honestly say I have no complaints other than my stay was too short!! I look forward to returning!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I cannot express how wonderful our experience was at this heavenly resort. We were in a standard room that was absolutely gorgeous, comfortable & spotless with a view of the "quiet pool". The food was very good (we loved the buffett) and most of the a la carte restaurants were good too (with the exception of the Italian- it was inedible). The all-inclusive wine list was extensive which we loved. The pool and beach were beautiful & relaxing too. However, what stood out the most was the level of service that we received. The staff were so warm, welcoming and friendly and went so far beyond our expectations. We had a family emergency back home and the concierge would fetch us from the beach (and ocean) when important calls came in from home. During the lunch and dinner buffett's, the same friendly chef was there to explain the various options and direct us to the specialties of the day or night. When my Mom left her bag and book on the beach to step inside to see me off to the airport and it started to pour, one of the staff members retrieved her items from the beach and came to find her to let her know. My family and I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and we have never experienced such a high level of friendliness, professionalism and thoughtfulness. We are already discussing our return trip!

Our one complaint was that we wanted to have a relaxing, post-dinner cocktail every night. We found ourselves in the lobby bar but the "musicians" were so awful every night we were there (except for one) that we would finish our drinks quickly to spare our ears the pain of listening any longer. That was a bit of a disappointment and I think it would be worth it for the hotel to invest in higher quality musicians to create a more enjoyable evening for the guests.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

We have just returned from the most amazing 10 days at this hotel and like many other visitors we are already planning our next visit, which is the first time ever we have considered revisiting a hotel!

Much of thoughts has already been covered but thought we would add a couple of points we found:

Although this is obviously the premium hotel in the group of 5 it is certainly worth visiting the rest of the resort, one area that we found slightly lacking was the atmosphere in the bar, partly down to occupancy but mainly I believe to continue with the peacefulness of the resort. It was certainly not a major issue but we liked to venture out for our pre/after dinner drinks for a change of scenery. On a return visit I think we would also consider meals in other hotels too as other guests claimed that the restaurants were of the same standard (if not better in some cases) the only difficulty with that is finding out what restaurants are in each hotel!!

As with other guests I thought that the butler service was bit of a novelty and overrated, Alberto greeted us and promised to restock the mini bar to our preference which never happened. I do wonder if that was because we did not tip him as I intended to do this when he returned with the “goods”, that said it was not missed as we were glad of the break when we returned in an afternoon!

If you need to make calls back to the UK buy a card from the machine near reception and make the call from the booths in that area not from your room, if you do that you will get 18 mins back to the UK for $20, don’t make them from your room as you will be charged a connection fee. I found this to be a cheaper option than the majority of the mobile options available in the UK.

I can’t begin to say what a wonderful place this is, the staff are fantastic and really go the extra mile to ensure your holiday is made special, in general we tipped everyone but found that it was not expected nor did it effect the quality when we forgot. All of our meals were excellent, we ate in all the a la carte restaurants but would highly recommend the Mexican buffet on a Sunday night. The shows are well worth a visit and make for great entertainment, as are all of the activities during the day, the team do an excellent job of providing as much or as little as you want to do.

montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

my wife and i were booked at the paraiso maya hotel but we have been upgraded to a week at the grand instead.about the hotel itself the word that came to me when i first saw it was WOW..the place is spotless and never during my whole stay did i see something to worry about cleanliness. as far as the food is concerned well it is a all inclussive so you have to expect that there will a good variety and that the quality be ok or good not great....the beach is awsome.alot of room.that s because the beach in front of the grand is exclusive to the clients of the grand hotel and there is security that makes sure that it stays that way.i have kids and i love kids but because the grand hotel is a adult only place it was a nice break and no spring breakers now that is a plus.this place is alot of everything.would go back anytime .

Oakville, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

The rooms, the grounds and the amenities were absolutely gorgeous; also, the food was fantastic. The service was very good (nearing excellent); we only experienced one problem at the surf and turf restaurant called Toni's (Wednesady March 3, 2010). We ordered our beef filet and lamb chops medium rare, they arrived at our table blue rare (slightly cooked on the outside and almost raw on the inside). We called the server over and asked him (politely) to just cook the meat a little bit more; the server complied without complaint and the meat was returned to us properly cooked. However, a moment later the maitre d' (a woman) approached the table and tried to tell us that restaurants in Mexico serve medium rare meat - blue rare. We mentioned that the night before we had ordered medium rare meat and it was served to us as a proper medium rare. She continued to argue with us and we finally just gave up. Following this exchange the server became quite surly. In the end, we just ate our meal and left; cancelling our reservation we had made for later in the week.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My wife and I have been taking our children to the Yucatan Penn now for about 12 years now and on occasion twice annually. We have settled in on the Iberostar complex for some time now and feel we have found home away from home. With a very impressive, low key non-pressure staff always there to help, it is one less thing to worry about when on vacation. When it comes down to it, the way we look at it, one could figure out how much your trip costs right down to the cost per minute. We don't want unnecessary questions, time-share pressures and long waits at the check -in counter.

This was our first stay at the Grand - very impressive indeed. The food, as with the other Iberostars, was right on. The server staff, butler, concierge and grounds people very friendly and helpful- they even have golf carts to aid in you on-campus travels! We have stayed at the Maya, Del-Mar and Beach with the children in the Jr Suites as well as regular rooms. Always clean and fresh. The Grand was truly Grand - we will be back in June with the kids staying at the Maya and hopefully back at the Grand in the near future! Another nice feature is the wildlife at the complex - my wife and I love to jog the property early in the am, sotp by one of the Palapas for coffee and sit quietly by the Caribbean Sea to start every day - what a magical place....water falls, wild birds and animals -

Thanks to the staff for a great worry free time!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!