“Good tips for a Grand vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
windsor
“Good tips for a Grand vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I have appreciated most of the reviews for this resort and have found them very reflective of our great experience at the Grand. I will try not to be redundant in my review and, instead, attempt to offer some original thoughts.
We stayed at the Grand Nov 11-19/09 and had an absolute great time. Here are some things that made our trip better and things we wished we knew or brought:
1. iPod docking station: the main pool does not have working speakers which, if you like to be perched near the booze like we do, matters! Another guest (Scott rocks) had a docking station and the bartenders didnt mind at all that we had music going. The other guests appreciated it as well. When Scott and his docking station/speakers left we were forced to bring our in-room alarm clock/docking station down to the pool which the bartenders plugged in without hesitation. The sound was not as good.
2. Dont pay for an upgrade: we were complimentarily upgraded to an ocean front room free of charge. Our agent advised the hotel that we were celebrating our anniversary and they offered us the free upgrade. The room/view/butler service was superior from what I understand and we loved our room...more than we would have had we not had the view..however, the upgrade is VERY expensive and we would not have found it worth the additional $75-150 extra per night. So much for us "using discretion" re. telling ppl.
3. There is very little authentic mexican food offered at the resort and it can only be found at the lunch buffet near the ocean. We opted to take a cab into Playa and shared the cost with another couple (recommended as the price is $20 1 way). Heard that you can offer a diff amount but we werent in the mood to barter with a cabbie who was responsible for our lives in mexico. :) As for clubs in Playa (Parrot Bay and Coco Bongo)
4. The pool service (towels, books etc) provides free sun screen. We had run out by day #5 and the last 2 days we used the free stuff. Great because the lobby store was selling it for a million $.
5. Ask for a bottle of booze for your room, dont open it and you can bring it back home.
6. Hit the lazy river over at the Maya (bring a drink with you).
7. DVD players in the room, bring your own movies. We tried everything to get Juno (limited selection) to play and gave up. We still werent convinced that it wasnt going to be in Spanish.
8. Bring your own Hairdryer. They have ones that over heat and/or blow poorly.
9. Order the down pillows off of the pillow menu...the butterfly ones for stomach sleepers are laughably uncomfortable.
10. As per other reviews, bring your own golf balls and bug spray (both expensive at the club). Rental clubs are decent.
11. Tell your butler that you are celebrating something (if even a great get away) and they will make an evening romantic with an all out turn down service (chocs, champagne, roses etc). Tell him what day you want it.
12. Lap top: the safe is not large enough to store your laptop. They offer cords and free in room internet, but not WIFI. We had to hide our laptop each day. Bring a locking cord.
13. Ask your butler for slippers. The floors are all marble and rather cold.
14. You can request breakfast room service on your balcony. They will set it all up for you.

Thats about all. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. If you choose the Grand you will not be let down...the place is absolutely amazing.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Polish first
Florence, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our second stay at the Grand during the period Nov 21 to Nov 29, 2009. We were greeted with great enthusiam by all staff members from the bell boys to the receptionist. Our check in was flawless and finished within minutes. Our room was spotless and were greeted with two polo shirts and a wonderful bottle of Mayan liquor in our room. There are two reasons we prefer the Grand to any other resort on the coast. First, handicap accessibility is the best of any resort I have visited. There is nowhere on the property that you cannot easily get to including the beach. There are ramps and elevators where they need to be and it allows for easy access to all facilities except the spa massage rooms which are located upstairs near the hotel. The main spa at the shopping center has an elevator for access. For the mobility challenged this resort is a dream come true. Second, the staff is simply the best! They are always accomodating, smiling and very polite. You are spoiled in all areas of the resort. No reasonable request was ever denied.

Due to the low numbers of guests the resort did close some restaurants however that never affected the quality of food. One thing I really appreciate about this resort is that if you don't like what items are on the restaurant menu, just ask for something you do like and they will try to accomodate your request. We never had a problem having great dining venues. For an all inclusive the food was above average but not Michelin 5 Star.

Our room was very accomodating for handicap accessibility. The showers were great with no room flooding which is so common at other resorts. We had an extraordinary beach front room that had a great view, fabulous breeze and plenty of room. Although the beach is a bit rocky in the water the sand was wonderful, clean and very smooth for long walks and lounging. Drink service was very fast and frequent everywhere on the property.

We did revisit the shows and found them very entertaining. The newest show called the Rock Show was truly entertaining and very high energy by the dancers and musicians. This show is only performed at the Grand.

This resort is simply the best! For the handicapped with mobility challenges you will not find a better resort to visit. We can hardly wait for our next visit.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our third stay at the Grand, and the resort never dissapoints! We booked an oceanfront room this time around versus oceanview rooms we had previously, and it was worth every single penny! The grounds were just as well kept as the first month the resort opened, and the service has gotten even better(we didn't think it was possible). The staff caters to your every whim, and even had on file the type of pillows/drinks/time we preferred to clean our room from our previous stay! Unreal! We have stayed at many resorts(EPM, Secrets, EMB, Royal Hideaway) and this is by far still the best. The beach wait staff was excellent(Carlos) as he literaly ran to get us drinks while we sat by the ocean. The star friends were also a great group(Pamela, Diego, Jorge, Christian, Eder) who were always cheerful and optimistic. The maid staff was quick and thorough, and came every morning and night when we specified. Just a few tips- take a private transfer to and from the airport to save hours(and it isn't that much more $), take extra golf balls for the course(they are up to 20$ for a sleeve), take your tennis racquet for some great free lessons every day at 9&10am, take lots of bug spray for evenings!, order room service frequently(it's great!) and don't be afraid to ask for ANYTHING including any type of alcohol bottle service, cakes, rose decor, etc, as the butler staff was amazing!! Any q's, please don't hesitate to email me! :) We'll be visiting again next year for sure!

Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the grand with our extended family for Thanksgiving. I had heard good things about the Grand, but tended to view the whole all-inclusive thing somewhat negatively. However, everything at the Grand was as good or better than I had expected.

Bars: The lobby bar was usually busy but not packed. Drinks were great and the selection was more extensive than I was expecting. They had Glenfiddich, several VSOP cognacs, and many types of high end tequilas and vodkas. The service was always prompt. The cigar bar was also nice and relaxing it that's your thing. The music bar, while we were there, was pretty dead so we never spent much time there.

Beach: The beach was very nice. As some reviewers have mentioned, there are some hidden rocks so be a little careful if you plan on swimming in the ocean. The surf was also a bit rough, but I thought that added a bit to the fun. The beach waiter was usually very prompt with drinks and extra towels, but a few dollars in tips probably ensured better service. The cabanas and lounges were nice, and there was never a problem finding a spot.

Rooms: The rooms were nicely appointed and large. The beds were very comfortable, but I would recommend getting a down pillow off of the pillow menu if you like a softer pillow. The balcony with couch and swing was also nice. The mini bar was nicely stocked and I asked for and promptly received full bottles of scotch and vodka upon request. There was a bit of an issue with the lights turning off in the room randomly if we didn't move for a while. In general, the room was at least as nice as any Ritz in which I've staid.

Service: I never had any issue with service and found everyone at the grand to be very accommodating. I did tip, but never more than a dollar or two. With one exception, I always received room service within 30 minutes. The service in some of the restaurants was almost comically formal with all of the waiters wearing white gloves and such, but I found it almost refreshing.

Restaurants: I honestly didn't expect much of the food, but was pleasantly surprised by most of the restaurants. The breakfast buffet was actually pretty good and had numerous selections. The room service breakfast, however, was disappointing, and I wouldn't recommend it. The lunch buffet down by the ocean was also surprisingly good. They also had a small al la carte menu which included small but delicious lobsters and decent steaks. For dinner, we ate only at the different al la carte restaurants. When we were there reservations were not a problem, but I would recommend reserving a table before you arrive during busier times of the year. I didn't eat at the italian restaurant so I can't offer an opinion on that. The Japanese restaurant was about like you'd expect. The hibachi food was pretty decent, about on par with your typical hibachi place, but the show was somewhat lackluster. The sushi there was more like grocery store quality due to the oddly prepared rice. The fish, however, was of acceptable quality. I probably wouldn't eat there if I went back, but if I did I would only order off the hibachi menu. The surf and turf restaurant was pretty decent. The steak portions were a bit on the small side, but you could always order 2 or 3 if you want. It was cooked rare like I ordered it. The lobster was also good, but it was a little small as well. Someone at the table order a tuna steak that seemed to be a bit dry and boring. Someone else had the lamb and it was good but nothing special. The chocolate cake was pretty darn good though. I might eat here again if I returned, but I would definitely stick to the steak and lobster. The gourmet restaurant, which is really just French, was the biggest surprise of the trip. We ate here last and I was expecting a somewhat ho-hum experience like I had in the other restaurants. They had all been good but nothing particularly special (except for having lobster for virtually every meal). The gourmet restaurant was genuinely good. It served classic French food; the kind of food that, for the most part, disappeared from U.S. menus in the '80s. I had a delicious pheasant turn-over, lobster thermador, and a filet with truffle sauce. It was all much, much better than I was hoping it would be. If I return, I might try the Italian restaurant and then eat at the gourmet restaurant every other night.

Grounds: Everything at the Grand was beautiful and well-maintained. It had a vaguely Italian theme and everything that could be made out of marble was. The main pool had a great view of the ocean. It also had a fun swim-up bar. The surrounding cabanas were nice and relatively few seemed to be occupied whenever I was there. The tranquility pool was also very relaxing. Both were salt-water pools which I liked. Grand guest could also visit the other Iberostar resorts and enjoy the all-inclusive service there as well. The Mayan hotel had a pretty cool lobby bar inside the Chichen Itza replica that was worth the visit. The shopping complex wasn't much to speak of, but the Star Wars-themed dance club was kin of fun. It was also nice that the bell staff would drive you around in golf carts.

Golf: The PB Dye golf course, included in the rate when I was there, was in fantastic condition. It was a bit more challenging than the average resort course but the design was first rate. I'd definitely play here again, and if the course were in my home city I'd play there frequently.

Shows: I was practically dragged to the disco show and actually thought it was pretty well done. I even agreed to go back to the broadway sampler show the following night. The dancers and singers were all pretty good, and I was impressed by the choreography on both nights. They were both surprisingly enjoyable ways to spend an hour.

Experience: The only major complaint I have is that I never really felt like I was in Mexico. The Grand really could have been anywhere, but that seems to be true of pretty much every other all inclusive hotel. Also, I could see how some people could run out of things to do, especially if staying for an extended period of time. That being said, the Grand was the kind of place I really enjoy. I felt pampered by the wait staff and spent my entire time there in a perpetual state of relaxation. I also somewhat guiltily enjoyed the exclusive feeling. For instance, the beach in front of the hotel was quiet and empty but the beach further down was packed. Grand guests also have free reign of the other resort properties but the other guests are not allowed to visit the grand.

In short, the Grand was exactly what I was looking for. It was luxurious and relaxing. If we plan another vacation to the Mayan Riviera I won't even consider staying anywhere else. If, however, you are looking for a raucous Mexican vacation, the Grand is not the place for you. I'm in my late '20s and I'm pretty sure I was the youngest person there other than some of my own family members. Though I can't imagine a better way to spend a relaxing family Thanksgiving.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

My wife and I went Nov 20th through the 25th. Here's my recap:

Cleanliness: The cleanliness of this hotel is absolutely impeccable. The marble throughout is constantly being buffed and our room was always spotless as well. I’ve honestly never stayed somewhere cleaner.

Restaurants: Breakfast everyday was excellent. There are chefs making omelets, donuts, and pancakes from scratch to order every morning. There is also an osertment of meats, cheeses, cereals, breads, and seafood.

Lunch: Highly recommend the Filet at the restaurant by the beach. Also, the shrimp fajitas are also very good and hamburger is decent. Good guacamole too.

Dinner: Everyone we talked to was absolutely thrilled with the “surf and turf” restaurant Tony’s. However, we were honestly less than thrilled with the food there. The “filet” seemed more like a small piece of sirloin (the beach restaurant for lunch was much better) and the lobster is a “Caribbean” lobster, not the Maine Lobster that we’re used to in the states. Meaning, there is really only a bite or two of good meat in the lobster. The Japanese steakhouse’s food was good, however we didn’t see anyone doing the “hibachi” show that were used to at Shogun or Benihana’s. We liked the Italian and Gourmet restaurant the best although everyone we talked to said these were their least favorites. I highly recommend the lamb at the Italian Restaurant and the filet at the gourmet restaurant (once again it’s much better than the “surf and turf” restaurant).

Keep in mind, you can order as much or as little as you like at each place. If something comes out and it’s not your favorite just ask for something different. Overall, the food was good, however in our opinion there is some room for improvement (this is the only area though we saw that could be improved upon....) Oh, and my wife thought the music was a little strange in some places as the music didn’t match the restaurant. For example: Sitting in Italian restaurant listening to top 40 music? A minor detail I know…

Pool: The large pool with the swim up bar is a salt water pool and is very nice. It’s an infinity edge so if you’re in the water you almost can’t tell where the pool ends and the ocean starts. There are waitresses that walk around constantly offering bottles of water or they’ll be more than happy to go to the bar and get you whatever you like. The “tranquility” pool is a smaller fresh water pool and is very quite and relaxing. There is also a spa pool that is indoors, however if the weather is nice the roof opens right up. The spa pool is warm and there are multiple stations you can go to and turn on water jets that will massage you. It’s great if the weather turns bad as the servers will continue to come to the spa pool and take your drink order too and the roof will close keeping you dry. Sun Screen and towels are free too so you can have as much as you like…

Bars: The bars are stocked with good stuff. Crown Royal, Grey Goose, Tangeray, Don Julio, etc. The bartenders are more than willing to pour you whatever you like and of course as much as you like.

Tipping: I’d recommend tipping the bartenders at the pool every now and then and you’ll be the first one they serve regardless of the lines. ( they work 6 days a week so it will be the same people almost every day) Almost nobody tips, so $2 - $5 (per day) seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping my wife and I their first priority. I tipped a guy at breakfast a buck or two each day (Alex) and by the 3rd day he saw my wife and I sit down he automatically knew what we wanted... I asked the butler what a decent tip was and he said a $1-2 a day was good. You don’t have to tip, but if you do your service will be that much better. I probably tipped out $50 for five nights and six days and our service was incredible.

Beach: The beach is absolutely beautiful; however watch out for the hidden rocks under the water. When standing facing the ocean I would highly recommend being very careful if you’re in the water in front of the building on the left hand side of the beach. When there are waves you can’t tell there are rocks, however when the water calms down you’ll be able to see them and avoid them. I ripped my knee up pretty badly on day two when I didn’t know about the rocks…

Shows: We didn’t go to a single show as we either drink too much or made reservations too late. Everyone likes the Rock Band show best… ask the employees and they’ll tell you which ones are a waste of your time…

Room Service / Mini Bar / other tricks: Room service and mini bar are included in the all inclusive package. The butler will stock your mini bar with whatever you ask him to. So, get rid of those Coca Cola’s and stock it with Dos Equis or whatever you like best. Also, if you want a bottle of Grey Goose or Don Julio or any hard alcohol just ask and your butler will bring you a brand new bottle. If you don’t open the bottle you can pack it in your luggage and take it home too!

Scuba: There is a dive shop on the property and they go out directly from our beach (1 tank dive with all gear $75). The reef is 40-50ft deep and is absolutely teeming with life. Bull Sharks (they stay in distance), Lionfish, Lobster, Crab, Eels, tons of fish, etc. You can also go to the “sonotes” or caves. A cool experience as there is a halocline (salt water on the bottle and fresh on top). When you are on the edge of the haloclines you almost feel like you’re swimming through a mirage (it’s very strange). It’s pretty dark so you’ll need a flashlight which they’ll provide. If you like caving it’s pretty cool, but I still prefer the ocean with fish vs looking at stalactites underwater…

Golf: If you stay certain periods they’re offering free golf, however club rental is $40 and a pack of three Pro-V1’s is $25 so bring you own gear if you’re planning on playing.

Overall this was a great vacation and I’d highly recommend staying here. Everyone else raved about the food, my wife and I just have very high standards, enjoy cooking and eating at gourmet restaurants back home…. For an all inclusive type place I’m sure the quality of the food is excellent and honestly, everything else was spectacular. The food gets an 8 in our opinion, but overall this place is absolutely a 10 of 10!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed November 15th through November 22nd. We booked through apple vacations with Go Iberostar and Kellie Davis and she beat any price I could get on line and was very happy with the service. Arriving we waited about a half an hour at the airport for a bus to be filled to go to the Iberostar. On arrival we were greeted with a cold wash cloth by the bell boy...we did not receive a welcoming drink....we had to wait after checking in for approx 10 min. before someone could take our bags to our room...arriving in our room we were not greeted by a butler...we arrived on a Sunday around 4:30pm...I asked what the occupancy rate was and was told around 84 per cent..our room was never turned down for the first night...and not cleaned until 4:00pm the next day...I had taked to several people about this and they all said they would clean the room but never did...Not such a good start...I told the conceirge we never met our butler...the next day she told me that I should call her and the butler would come up and show us around..by this time we had figured everything out on our own and during our stay never did meet our butler. It was my birthday during our stay and I don't know if our travel agent mentioned this or what but my birthday was the day we were departing and they brought a bottle of champagne and a card on the day we arrived. The Grand is just that Grand it is very large and I found to be quite impersonable compare to the Grand In Jamaica...in Jamaica we were there this last May and the staff could not do enough for you may have been to the low occupancy when we were there...but when you ate lunch on the beach you were in an open air restaurant and felt you were on vacation...at the Grand Parasio you ate lunch also on the beach but only a few table were outside and felt more like a cafeteria situation ..just the atmoshpere was very different....at the Grand in Jamaica the pool staff would even make your bed on the beach..Also the Grand in Jamaica there is not a bad view from any room...here at Paraiso an Oceanview room was calling it a stretch...Room service at the Paraiso was Excellent ...Room service at the Grand Rose Hall was slow very slow ....the shows at the Paraiso were the best shows I have every seen at an all inclusive...the shows at the Grand Rose Hall left alot to be desired in comparison...The Golf at the Paraiso was amazing according to my husband but he said the Golf at Rose Hall was an older course but just as nice because you were right on the water...also at the Paraiso they had a golf tournament 2 days while we were there Friday and Saturday and you could only get tee times at 2 pm...by the time you would finish it would be dark...they should of told my husband this at the beginning of the week when he first booked his golf time so he could of planned his golf around this. Also at the Grand Rose Hall you need a caddy where at the Grand Parasio you don't... The star friends were amazing at the Grand Parasio and got everyone involved...vs the Grand Rose Hall...the star friends did not go all out to get people to participate in activities...unless you asked you were not approached for anything or introduced to any of them. Food at both resort was good..but I think I would give the award to the best food to the Grand Paraiso.....Excursions..,we went on a catamaya cruise which we booked throught Apple that was amazing and had a steak and lobster dinner cooked right on the boat and went deep sea fishing and snorkeling would highly recoomend it...We also booked Chichen Itza Plus tour through apple and were very disappointed with the excursion...was a long ride which we knew ahead of time but stopped at least at 10 hotels for pick ups with added to an even longer day...was so hot at Chichen Itza and was a big tourist trap...would definitely advise against this trip was a waste of our day..go buy a video about chichen itza and save $200...also went to the Jungle Place...was recommended by trip advisor and was just amazing and the highlight of our trip...go to thejungleplace.com it is about an hour and 10 min. from the Iberostar Grand..we rented a car on the property for the day ...which was a bit of a rip off ...wanted $85 for the day got him down to $75 for the day at the airport you could of gotten a car for $30 a day...car rental company was Thrifty on the property which I had looked on line before booking and was not listed...If you want a car just for a day I think I would call Thrifty in Playa de Carmen and see if you could book with them prior to arriving and save some money....each resort has its pro's and con's but don't think you can go wrong with either resort if you do your research before...we booked all our meals prior to arriving by e-mail...also I would suggest you book your golf prior to arriving so you won't be disappointed about getting a tee time..after the 2nd day our room was cleaned early every morning and turned down so that was taken care of ....one day our safe was left open according to them and they had left a note to call security to come up and reset our password..nothing was taken out of it...and always felt very secure about safety at the resort.. Our next trip is going to be the Grand in Punta Cana..stay tuned..

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We just returned home from a very relaxing vacation that consisted of 5 days. My wife and I have stayed at other Iberostar resorts and this is, by far, the best. They spare nothing when it comes to a luxurious feel. The property was absolutely gorgeous, the staff beyond friendly and the beach front rooms is so close to the water you can almost feel the gulf mist. If you are looking for a high end, couples only, relaxing vacation this resort meets those needs.

For my self and my wife we like the feel of an open-air resort. Besides being at the pool or walking the several paths they have, the Grand Hotel is a closed air, air-conditioned facility (This is not a negative just a personal choice).

The food was good but not fantastic. I believe too much time and effort was devoted to making the food selection feel and look more upscale and not enough variety for us common folk. Do not get me wrong, you will not go hungry, but the food was too fancy and too European for our tastes, and the buffet menu was the same everyday. They have 5 restaurants to choose from, the surf n turf was the best. They also have an Italian, Gourmet (French), and Teppanyaki restaurant. Staying at the Grand Hotel does give you the option to eat at the other Iburostar properties next door and the have a golf cart service that will shuttle you if walking is not your thing.

The main pool is big yet simple, cascading down toward the Gulf. The pool has 2 adjoining hottubs that are actually warm, something we have yet to find at any resort. Towels service is opened, no annoying towel cards and you can take as many as you want. The employees that service the pool area are quick and you do not feel pressured to have to tip when you want something. The only negative to the main pool area is there is no music playing. They do have two other pools, a tranquility pool that has a plenty of shade and is quite peaceful and a Roman bath, which is indoors at the spa.

The entertainment was about on par with other resorts we have visited. Again the theatre is closed-in air-conditioned building, which was quite chilly, would have preferred it to be open-air. The shows are kind of cheesy, as are the shows at most resorts. They have a piano bar, sports bar, and cigar bar but all lacked a nightlife feel. The nightlife was a little on the boring side. Once nighttime came you ate then waited to go to bed. The resort felt like it was less than 50% booked, which could explain the boring nightlife.

My overall observation of the Grand Hotel is that it is oriented toward sophisticated individuals. It is a beautiful property, with great staff, but still lacked what I was looking for. The menu needs to have a little more diversification and they need to open up the resort and get rid off the air conditioning. These little things are the only reason I did not give it a perfect rating.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!