“Iberostar Grand Rose Hall vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Cleveland, Ohio
“Iberostar Grand Rose Hall vs Iberostar Grand Paraiso”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed November 15th through November 22nd. We booked through apple vacations with Go Iberostar and Kellie Davis and she beat any price I could get on line and was very happy with the service. Arriving we waited about a half an hour at the airport for a bus to be filled to go to the Iberostar. On arrival we were greeted with a cold wash cloth by the bell boy...we did not receive a welcoming drink....we had to wait after checking in for approx 10 min. before someone could take our bags to our room...arriving in our room we were not greeted by a butler...we arrived on a Sunday around 4:30pm...I asked what the occupancy rate was and was told around 84 per cent..our room was never turned down for the first night...and not cleaned until 4:00pm the next day...I had taked to several people about this and they all said they would clean the room but never did...Not such a good start...I told the conceirge we never met our butler...the next day she told me that I should call her and the butler would come up and show us around..by this time we had figured everything out on our own and during our stay never did meet our butler. It was my birthday during our stay and I don't know if our travel agent mentioned this or what but my birthday was the day we were departing and they brought a bottle of champagne and a card on the day we arrived. The Grand is just that Grand it is very large and I found to be quite impersonable compare to the Grand In Jamaica...in Jamaica we were there this last May and the staff could not do enough for you may have been to the low occupancy when we were there...but when you ate lunch on the beach you were in an open air restaurant and felt you were on vacation...at the Grand Parasio you ate lunch also on the beach but only a few table were outside and felt more like a cafeteria situation ..just the atmoshpere was very different....at the Grand in Jamaica the pool staff would even make your bed on the beach..Also the Grand in Jamaica there is not a bad view from any room...here at Paraiso an Oceanview room was calling it a stretch...Room service at the Paraiso was Excellent ...Room service at the Grand Rose Hall was slow very slow ....the shows at the Paraiso were the best shows I have every seen at an all inclusive...the shows at the Grand Rose Hall left alot to be desired in comparison...The Golf at the Paraiso was amazing according to my husband but he said the Golf at Rose Hall was an older course but just as nice because you were right on the water...also at the Paraiso they had a golf tournament 2 days while we were there Friday and Saturday and you could only get tee times at 2 pm...by the time you would finish it would be dark...they should of told my husband this at the beginning of the week when he first booked his golf time so he could of planned his golf around this. Also at the Grand Rose Hall you need a caddy where at the Grand Parasio you don't... The star friends were amazing at the Grand Parasio and got everyone involved...vs the Grand Rose Hall...the star friends did not go all out to get people to participate in activities...unless you asked you were not approached for anything or introduced to any of them. Food at both resort was good..but I think I would give the award to the best food to the Grand Paraiso.....Excursions..,we went on a catamaya cruise which we booked throught Apple that was amazing and had a steak and lobster dinner cooked right on the boat and went deep sea fishing and snorkeling would highly recoomend it...We also booked Chichen Itza Plus tour through apple and were very disappointed with the excursion...was a long ride which we knew ahead of time but stopped at least at 10 hotels for pick ups with added to an even longer day...was so hot at Chichen Itza and was a big tourist trap...would definitely advise against this trip was a waste of our day..go buy a video about chichen itza and save $200...also went to the Jungle Place...was recommended by trip advisor and was just amazing and the highlight of our trip...go to thejungleplace.com it is about an hour and 10 min. from the Iberostar Grand..we rented a car on the property for the day ...which was a bit of a rip off ...wanted $85 for the day got him down to $75 for the day at the airport you could of gotten a car for $30 a day...car rental company was Thrifty on the property which I had looked on line before booking and was not listed...If you want a car just for a day I think I would call Thrifty in Playa de Carmen and see if you could book with them prior to arriving and save some money....each resort has its pro's and con's but don't think you can go wrong with either resort if you do your research before...we booked all our meals prior to arriving by e-mail...also I would suggest you book your golf prior to arriving so you won't be disappointed about getting a tee time..after the 2nd day our room was cleaned early every morning and turned down so that was taken care of ....one day our safe was left open according to them and they had left a note to call security to come up and reset our password..nothing was taken out of it...and always felt very secure about safety at the resort.. Our next trip is going to be the Grand in Punta Cana..stay tuned..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Polish first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We just returned home from a very relaxing vacation that consisted of 5 days. My wife and I have stayed at other Iberostar resorts and this is, by far, the best. They spare nothing when it comes to a luxurious feel. The property was absolutely gorgeous, the staff beyond friendly and the beach front rooms is so close to the water you can almost feel the gulf mist. If you are looking for a high end, couples only, relaxing vacation this resort meets those needs.

For my self and my wife we like the feel of an open-air resort. Besides being at the pool or walking the several paths they have, the Grand Hotel is a closed air, air-conditioned facility (This is not a negative just a personal choice).

The food was good but not fantastic. I believe too much time and effort was devoted to making the food selection feel and look more upscale and not enough variety for us common folk. Do not get me wrong, you will not go hungry, but the food was too fancy and too European for our tastes, and the buffet menu was the same everyday. They have 5 restaurants to choose from, the surf n turf was the best. They also have an Italian, Gourmet (French), and Teppanyaki restaurant. Staying at the Grand Hotel does give you the option to eat at the other Iburostar properties next door and the have a golf cart service that will shuttle you if walking is not your thing.

The main pool is big yet simple, cascading down toward the Gulf. The pool has 2 adjoining hottubs that are actually warm, something we have yet to find at any resort. Towels service is opened, no annoying towel cards and you can take as many as you want. The employees that service the pool area are quick and you do not feel pressured to have to tip when you want something. The only negative to the main pool area is there is no music playing. They do have two other pools, a tranquility pool that has a plenty of shade and is quite peaceful and a Roman bath, which is indoors at the spa.

The entertainment was about on par with other resorts we have visited. Again the theatre is closed-in air-conditioned building, which was quite chilly, would have preferred it to be open-air. The shows are kind of cheesy, as are the shows at most resorts. They have a piano bar, sports bar, and cigar bar but all lacked a nightlife feel. The nightlife was a little on the boring side. Once nighttime came you ate then waited to go to bed. The resort felt like it was less than 50% booked, which could explain the boring nightlife.

My overall observation of the Grand Hotel is that it is oriented toward sophisticated individuals. It is a beautiful property, with great staff, but still lacked what I was looking for. The menu needs to have a little more diversification and they need to open up the resort and get rid off the air conditioning. These little things are the only reason I did not give it a perfect rating.

Belvidere, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

My husband, myself, and another couple (all between 47-49yo) traveled to the Grand on Nov. 15 for 5 nights of fun in the sun. We went with Apple Vacations out of Chicago and arrived at the Grand at 11:00 am. We took the Apple provided transport which held us up some. One room was ready, but our's was not. We were checked in, given bracelets and told to enjoy the grounds and have lunch and my room would be ready by 1:30, which it was. We were given a free upgrade to ocean-view and our room was 7278.

ROOM - it was beautiful and very clean. It looked exactly like the one on the website. The bed was very comfortable (much better than the one at the Paraiso del Mar 6 yrs ago!!!). The pillows were ok, but I took advantage of the pillow menu and had down pillows delivered promptly by Carlos, our butler. The patio is quite large and had a very nice sofa/divan on it as well as a swing for 2. There is a drying rack out there as well for your wet suits. The bathroom was plenty large w/his and hers sink areas. The sink area had shelves underneath for my makeup bag, curling iron etc. It was nice not to have the sink are cluttered. The tub worked great and made good bubbles. The shower was nice and my husband appreciated not having to duck under the shower head to get wet. The shower could have used a larger lip at the base to keep the water in the area better. The toilet area could be a bit more private - slightly frosted glass really didn't afford much privacy . The light up makeup mirror was great for me. The soap/shampoo amenities were average in my opinion for that caliber of resort. They didn't lather well. My hairdryer was broken and only blew out cold air, but when I called about it there was a new one installed shortly after. We took advantage of the butler service only the first day when we met Carlos. He got me my requested pillows, internet cable, and made sure to let the people who stock the fridge knew my requests. As for the internet, it worked great. There is an in-room safe that is digital. We used it the entire time we were there and had no problems.

GROUNDS-they are very lush and manicured. The flowers were very pretty and everything so green. The walkways around the resort were nice and wide. The concrete around the pool area is very slick though. I wiped out on my way to the bathroom. Be sure to wear shoes going to and from the restroom especially if you are wet. The grounds were well lit at night as well so it was easy to navigate.

POOL- the main pool is very long and rectangular. It is a saltwater pool. The temp was a little chilly, but not too bad. If you want warmer water head to the wellness pool atrium. We did not swim in the serenity pool, but the pool area there was very nice and very quiet. The swim up bar was very lively all week. The bartenders were great and made good drinks. They were very generous with the alcohol. The pool waitresses were so nice and readily available. The hot tubs were rather lukewarm until our last day there. Then they were normal hot tub temp during the day and cooled off around 4 pm. The hot tub at the atrium pool stayed pretty hot all day. There are pool toys, floats, books, towels, sunblock, etc available at the towel hut at the main pool.

RESTAURANTS- we ate at all 4 a la cartes. My favorite was the Japanese, followed by the Surf and Turf, Italian and then Gourmet. The Japanese was really good. The food was prepared well, to our liking and abundant. The steak at the surf and turf was very good and tender. I had a hard time finding something to eat at the Italian, but the osso bucco was excellent. Many said that the Italian disappointed them because they were expecting southern Italian cuisine (pastas). The Gourmet was pretty good as well. I don't like seafood/fish so I had a hard time at some of the restaurants. My dining companions did not have the same problems. The buffet was great for breakfast, average for lunch, and average for dinner. The choices on the buffet were heavily European in my opinion- many fish type items. I would have appreciated a regular type salad bar with more fresh veggies. I made do no problem and surely didn't go hungry, the variety was just a little dull. The biggest disappointment about the food - No Mexican food readily available on the buffet. We go to Mexico and love to eat Mexican food. Nope, none!!! We missed the Mexican buffet night so we were out of luck. We did go to the taco stand at the shopping center and they were good, but we wanted more Mexican - obviously just a personal preference, but come on we were in Mexico!!! The ice cream shop at the Shopping Center had a nice variety of ice creams/sherbet to choose from as well as a creperie.

SERVICE- we received excellent service from everyone we encountered (except our Apple rep) Carlos, our butler, did a great job of taking care of our needs. Daniel at the pool bar kept us happy with excellent drinks. The animation staff made us feel welcome and always asked us if we wanted to participate in the activities and did not hassle us if we said no. Our 2 maintenance issues were handled promptly. We received our wake up calls on time. We requested breakfast at 5:30 am on our departure day even though the breakfast menu said service began at 7:00 am we received what we asked for by 5:50am. All the servers in the restaurants and buffets worked very hard to ensure that we enjoyed our time at the Grand.

ENTERTAINMENT-Having been to 6 AI resorts prior to the Grand I can honestly say that the Grand has the best entertainment of any of them. The Rock Show and the Boogie Nights show were very well done. The band and singers were all very good. The dancers did a really fine job too. The coliseum was a nice place to see the shows. We were entertained by the Magic Show as well. We couldn't figure out where all the birds were coming from. The wait staff made sure drinks were readily available.
The 2 men that played music in the lobby bar had a nice repetoire of songs and made the lobby bar a nice place to hang out.

We got a great deal on the Grand due to the recession. I had priced the Grand many a time and found the prices to be very high compared to other adult only AI resorts. I now know why they charged more. They generally give much better service. Their food is not necessarily better, but their level of service blows the others away. Their amenities are nicer and their resorts are very well appointed. The Grand reminded us of the Bellagio in Las Vegas with all its marble floors, unique chandeliers, funky bathrooms, etc. It is truly an elegant, beautiful resort and it will now be very difficult to go to another resort.

Kulpmont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

As my title states this has been our best vacation to date. The staff/service was fabulous and for me this is what sets this resort apart from the others. I have composed a pro and con list to hit the important areas.
PROS:
1. We were upgraded to ocean front room, free of charge which we are so thankful for as this made my husbands year.
2. Loved the free internet services and found best time to check our e-mails without waiting was in early AM.
3. Appreciated the turn down services with a chocolate placed near pillow.
4. Butler staff was so sweet and checked in with us to see if we needed anything. My husband asked for a bottle of Disaronno and received it shortly after asking.
5. Wait staff on beach was always wonderful and friendly.
6. Pool areas most quiet/relaxing we have come across so far.
7. Loved the nightly shows (rock show, disco, big band).
CONS:
1. MOSQUITOES: My husband and I used almost an entire bottle of deep woods off and still came home with bug bits. Staff was spraying daily for bugs however the bugs seemed to be winning.
2. We felt the food was OK. Not the best we ever had but not the worst. Buffet's seemed to serve the same food over and over again.
3. This was the first time I have ever drank the water/mixed drinks in Mexico and I was very dissapointed. I felt the mixed drinks tasted water down and bartenders did not seem to make anything other then what was on the menue. My husband enjoyed them but also stated he wished there was more of a variety.
The resort itself is very easy to get around but it did feel in design like Vegas to us, beautiful but a bit over the top. All in all we are planning to return to the resort due to the relaxation we experienced.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

The Iberostar Grand Paraiso is a beautiful resort!!! There's no question about that. It's even possibly more luxury than what I need during a vacation. This is truly a 5 star property and the adults only is awesome!!!

Also, we had a butler, named Henri, who was outstanding and even went out of his way to ensure that I had a letter (in Spanish, of course) that I presented to the restaurants we went to at night - since I'm allergic to all seafood. All the restaurants we ate at were very welcoming to my food allergy and had no problem substituting items, such as chicken, steak or tofu, for the fish that I can't eat.

The beds in our room were the most comfortable bed that I've ever slept on.

The pools are pristine and one MUST check out the spa (where there's an indoor pool with various hydro therapy - oh, it's quite nice!!!). There's no extra charge to use the indoor pool and hydro therapy.

However, one thing that I need to mention: They've got a little problem with employee theft (which I hope has been resolved). We stayed in room 7328 from November 1, 2009 - November 7, 2009. Our in-room safe, which was locked while we were out by the pool and beach all day, was broken into on the 2nd day that we were there (which would be November 2, 2009). This had to be an inside job, obviously by someone that worked there. You cannot get into the safe without a code. You cannot get into the room without an electronic key card.

I had to fill out a report of the incident and the manager was quick to replace the money that was stolen from our safe. However, while all the drama in worrying about the cash that was stolen from us and making sure that our wallets, passports, cell phones were all there (which they were), I didn't even notice until it was time to leave to go home that my iPod was also stolen from the safe. At this point, I was kind of upset and we were ready to leave for the airport and I didn't want to miss the flight home.

Seriously, an iPod is NOT something that I use while at a resort on vacation. However, I use it for listening to music while in flight to and from my destination. This is the first time I've experienced our in-room safe being broken into. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about checking and rechecking stuff that is locked up to ensure that this never happens.

Disappointing to lose an iPod that is not even in production anymore...I loved it because of how small it is and how much is stored. Oh well...at least important items like passports and cell phones were not taken. Thank GOD for that.

Like I said, it's a beautiful resort, but an inside job broke into our safe, which set the tone for the rest of our trip. The fact that our $$$ was replaced very quickly by the hotel manager makes me wonder if it happens more often than I'd like to think, or if it was a very isolated incident. Either way, I will think twice before I return there. This incident is not at all what I expected from a 5 star resort

Had our safe not been broken into, we would have had an absolute wonderful time and I would have rated this resort much higher. However, when your money is stolen and even though it's replaced, you still have that back-in-your-mind type of feeling of being unsafe. Seriously, it was beautiful, but I couldn't wait to get out of there and get home.

Next vacation, I'll go back to Cancun, to the Riu Caribe, where I know their in-room safes are not electronic, but rather old school with an actual lock and key.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Syosset, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Travel Date: October 20 - 25

As some background, my wife and I have traveled a fair amount over the past 10 years, primarily staying at all-inclusive resorts. We have stayed at: Sandals Le Toc Golf and Spa as well as the Grande in St. Lucia; NH Real Arena in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic; the Palace Resorts: Moon Palace in Cancun, Vallarta Palace in Puerto Vallarta; Iberostar Cozumel; and SuperClubs Runaway Bay in Jamaica, and more.

This trip was in celebration of my wife's 40th Birthday, our first trip away from our children. She wanted a place that was more upscale, where she could get pampered as well as a place to relax and unwind. This vacation did it all...she got what she wanted and I was able to relax while take advantage of all the activities throughout the day (archery, air rifle, pool contests, hobbycat sailboats, kayaks, bicycle tour, etc.). I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to get away and escape reality, even for a few days.

I used TripAdvisor to research this hotel and read a lot of reviews. As you read them you will see the same common opinion – the hotel is FANTASTIC! I'll try to not reiterate what others have said in the past and share some less obvious things about the resort to hopefully help your decision making process...

The Grand is one of five hotels in the complex (Grand, Maya, Lindo, Beach, Del Mar). Grand guests are truly treated like royalty. You have the opportunity to go to any of the other hotels to use their facilities (pools, restaurants and bars). As a note, the Grand is the nicest and is for adults only, whereas the other hotels cater towards families.

Room: Very nice! Our room was #7293. It was considered an ocean view. It had a really nice view of the Tranquility Pool – I was a bit disappointed about the view on the ocean. Unless you have an oceanfront room, the view of the ocean is pretty far away (more on the horizon). Overall, the room was very nice! We did not take advantage of the pillow menu. We did however customize the refrigerator with drinks we were interested in (nice touch – just coordinate with Butler / Concierge).

Room service: is great – never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Remember, you can ask for things not on the menu. They try hard to accommodate. E.g. nice bowl of popcorn from the lobby bar can really hit the spot. Breakfast and late night snacks were great!

Butler / Concierge: Our experience was that they were adequate. Could have been friendlier and more attentive to us as guests. We did speak to other guests and were informed that they received a different experience – perhaps luck of the draw. Be sure to ask/make a reservation for them to draw a special bath at least once on your trip (free benefit unless you upgrade). Get a bottle of wine or champagne with a simple or more elaborate flower treatment (simple flower display in bubble bath to a more elaborate rose petal display through hallway in room and a huge heart on bed with two swans in middle with a rose in the middle for around $13; 3 tea lights for tub is $1.50).

Lunch: Overall very good. Nice variety. The only potential negative is that the menu didn't change during our entire stay, so after a few days it feels a bit old seeing the same selections. Similar to breakfast you can choose off the menu or go to the buffet or both!

Dinner: 4 restaurants. All very nice. Don't be afraid to ask to try additional entrees or to make modifications to your selection. Remember you are on vacation. Also note that the portions are more on the small side.

Bars: The alcohol selection is top-notch. I have never been to a resort that offers more the 20 bottles of beer plus tap choices. Usually at all-inclusives you get a few draft choices at best. Everything you could want and more! You even get bottles by the beach – service is great (just ask for a bucket of your favorite cold ones)!

Pool and Beach: You can get as many towels as you want without any annoying towel cards. Also, what other place offers boogie boards, floats, suntan lotion, magazines and books if you want. You have to take advantage of the FREE cabanas with luxurious beds by the main or tranquility pool. Other places like Sandals sometimes charges you for this amenity.

The Spa at the Grand: A truly wonderful experience. Perfect place to spend a couple of hours if the weather is not ideal (huge pool in a gorgeous atrium). The pool houses very unique water and shower features – massages for your head, back, legs, feet – very cool! (Every few feet there is a button to activate them.) The water was a nice temperature – more on the warm side. The negative at the Spa is that the steam room and sauna are located in the locker room and you cannot share the experience with whomever you might be traveling with.

Golf Carts: A fantastic way to get around the massive five hotel resort. Simply ask a bell boy that you would like to go somewhere and they will take you right there in seconds. We never had to wait. Also, if you need to be picked up a the Shopping Center just tell someone that you are from the Grand and moments later a cart will be waiting for you.

Shopping Center: A great place to get some gifts (approx. 20 stores). Depending on the shop there is room to negotiate. When we where there it was a bit of a ghost town. You definitely want to stop by the ice cream and crepe shop – they make hot yummy crepes right in front of you. Load them up with whatever you desire and throw some scoops of ice cream on top! Also, there seems to be a neat old fashioned soda/burger joint that is available in the evenings.

Spa in Shopping Center: This truly was a hidden gem. Highly recommend to visit. They offer a lot of things for free. Enjoy a number of hot tubs, cold plunge pool, 3 unique shower therapy treatments and a sauna and stream room (had cool lights on the ceiling like stars and a eucalyptus / vapor rub smell)– all of which you can experience with that special someone and more...

Galaxy Night Club: Opens around 10:30 pm and is available to all guests. As a guest of the Grand, you will feel spoiled as the selection of drinks do not even compare. No bottle beers or top shelf alcohol here. (As a note, definitely stop off at the Mayan on the way back to the Grand for one more drink if it is not too late, the bar area inside the pyramid is amazing!!!)

Shows: Fabulous! Like all parts of the hotel, the venue is completely air conditioned and has a feel of a Las Vegas show. It is easy to see that the hotel has put a lot of money in the facilities (tiered seating, bar in the area, very comfortable plush chairs, elaborate stages/scenery/costumes) and the talent is very good (perhaps not for the hardest critics but very entertaining). The Rock Show is by far the best. The worst show is the authentic Mexican show – too loud/hard on the ears and not visually very interesting, the group we were with actually got up and left the show. The waitress service is phenomenal – you'll never be without a drink!

Entertainment Team: They do a fabulous job and help make your vacation spectacular if you let them! They will get you involved around the pool during the day with various contests and sports and at night mingle with you by the lobby bar and at the show! A special thanks to Fannia, Jorge, Adrianna and Eder – truly marvelous / can't say enough about them!!!

My last bit of information is that if you are going to the resort to celebrate a special occasion, be sure to contact the hotel yourself. Don't leave it up to your travel agent! Let them know of Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc. Note, we did see them do some extra things for returning Iberostar guests (e.g., polo shirts and 10% off around the resort).

Enough said... book the hotel, you won't regret it! Enjoy paradise for yourself!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My wife and I recently returned from our Honeymoon at the Grand Paraiso and we cannot wait to go back. We were blown away by the hospitality and beauty of this resort. We arrived to champagne toast and a tour from our personal butler. The staff went out of there way to help us out and were very accommodating. We had top shelf liquor in our room and every where else from the beach to the pool.

The Japanese Steak Was our favorite restaurant with the Italian coming in second. We had over 40 wines to choose from at every meal. The break fest buffets were pretty good as well however after a while everything started tasting the same.

We came here on the recommendation of friends and were glad we did. We booked our trip through All Inclusive Outlet who took care of everything from pick up to drop off and helped us with all of our tours and will book all future trips them.

This was the first all-inclusive resort we had been too. While we were there we met a lot of people who have traveled too numerous resorts and they all said that this was the best resort that they have been to as well.

We would highly recommend the Grand Paraiso to anyone thinking of traveling to this beautiful area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!