“The Grand was perfect for stress free get away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“The Grand was perfect for stress free get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The Grand was the perfect place for a stress free relaxing vacation!
We stayed in one of the Ocean Front rooms and enjoyed the soothing sound of the waves and the smell of the Sea! These rooms are with in a football field of being right in the water. The rooms were big enough to provide a sense of comfort and space. The beds are extremely comfortable and the sheets were plush! We had read about the pillows menu and werent sure what that would be about, but this was a very nice touch to allow the guests to personalize the number and type of pillows we would enjoy for the week. My wife enjoyed her sort of Arabian Nights pillows set up on her side of the bed!
I had read about the Personal Butlers and wondered how that would be based on reading many pro and con from previous guests comments on this subject. I personally really enjoyed and found this to be one of the special things that makes the Grand a unique experience! We had 4 difference Butlers during our week and each one was wonderful. Victor, was especially great to have as our butler! He seems to take great pleasure in meeting all of his guests requests! Special pillows, for my wife, a special adult beverage for myself .... no request was too big or too small! We truly enjoyed each of the butlers we had during the week but Victor was special!
The dining was way above the normal All Inclusive experience that we have had over the years! If you go be sure to try out Tonys early in your week. The steaks are top notch and appear to be Prime Beef as aopposed to Choice. I had the Double Cut Filet and it was on the scale of a Ruth Chis or Flemings... Nice choices on the wines as well.
The japanese restaurant was excellent with the Tepanyaki experence. Be prepared that dinner could be a 2 hour process. We also enjoyed going over to the Hacienda at one of the other Iberostar Resorts! The food was excellent!
We enjoyed the Lobby Bar at the Grand and it became a early evening ritual before our dinner! The drinks were prepared with gusto and style and the ambience was fabulious!
We loved the almost all of the waiters, bartenters, and personell all over the property! Almost everyone seemed to relly care that we were having a great experience and having a good time.
The shows in the evening were enjoyable and we saw several of them! We particularly enjoyed Boogie Nights and Rock Show! Be sure to try out Casino Nights, a good time to try out your gambling skills and win sT shirts and hats!
The propert is absolutely beautiful and well groomed and taken care of. The pool areas are beautiful and are set up to meet almost everyones needs fromsocial activities at the big pool to peace at the Serenity Pool. We loved the view from our balcony of the beach and Carribbean and We highly recommend the second or third floor if you go with the Ocean front rooms for best views!
A couple of last thoughts: Occupancy was still way down in July due to economy and the flu scare in Mexico so it is a great time to go now and to have the resort almost to your selfs. Occupancy was at approximately 30% in mid July! This means you can enjoy your favorite restaruants over and over, plenty of spaces at the pool and bars! We used Go Iberostar and Kellie....She was easy to work with and got us a great rate that was better than others we talked to! We look forward to going back in the Summer of 2010!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Polish first
Jacksonville Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

The only thing better than going to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso is going BACK to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso! We did 3 nights last September and could not wait to return. This trip we stayed 6 nights.

The resort facilities are still breath takingly beautiful! Everywhere you go you feel like you are in a really special place.

Upon arriving in the room we found that our pillow menu choices from the last trip were already on the bed! The butler arrived in less than a minute and had a very detailed list of our preferences from the last trip. He stocked our room with a bottle of Tequila, a bottle of Pinot Noir, champagne, my favorite beer-Bohemia, and our soda choices.

Our room was 3rd floor oceanview in building 72. It was a beautiful less than a minute air conditioned walk to breakfast, all 4 dinner restaurants, and the evening bars! It was just a few minute walk to the pools and beach.

After unpacking we headed for the beachfront lunch restaurant. We ate here most days and had grilled Maine lobster, lobster kabobs, lamb chops, beef Wellington, shrimp, fish, pasta, and pizza. Lobster is available everyday with the buffet items varying slightly daily. One day we decided to go to the room for a room service lunch feast! We ordered lobster bisque, Jumbo Prawns, Kobe Beef burger, sea bass, and an incredible triple chocolate desert! The food came in less than 30 minutes and was hot and delicious!

Our favorite lunch ended up being the day we spent the full day partying under a beach palapa with friends. Our beach butler provided us with bucket after bucket of bottles of Corona, Bohemia, and Estella beer along with large cups of chilled Don Julio Tequila! He brought plates of Nachos, chips/salsa/guacamole, and Kobe beef burgers with fries! These were the best burgers I have ever had! The weather was perfect, the beach & ocean beautiful, This was Heaven!

We ate at all 4 dinner restaurants-2 times at the Gourmet, 2 times at the Surf & Turf, once at the Japanese, and once at the Italian.

Here are my restaurant reviews:

1. Gourmet- I ordered chilled lobster medallions, French onion soup, Lobster Thermador with a side of rack of lamb, and the Chocolate desert from the Surf & Turf restaurant with cappuccino (what ever you want they will get for you). We had a few bottles of wine. Everything was amazing! service was perfect.

2. Surf & Turf- the first time I ordered the Porterhouse with a side of lobster along with the lobster/shrimp/crab appetizer and the baked scallop appetizer. The second time I had the double cut Filet with 2 lobsters. The chocolate desert at the Surf & Turf is the best chocolate at the resort along with the room service chocolate. We had dinner inside and then went outside on the terrace for cappuccino and desert.

3. Japanese- We love tapanaki restaurants at home so we really enjoyed the Japanese. We started with sushi, sashimi, and lobster kabobs and then had the grilled lobster, Filet, shrimp, and duck. The tempura banana ice cream desert is amazing!

4. Italian-We did not eat at the Italian last trip but at the Grand in Jamaica the Italian was our favorite restaurant. I found the Italian at the Grand Paraiso to be good but not great. If you had to miss a restaurant, this would be the one. I had the beef carpaccio and minestrone soup to start off with and then the lobster lasagna and rack of lamb. The food was good but not great.

We loved the breakfast buffet! The fresh fruit select was terrific with Mango, melon, cantaloupe, strawberries, and kiwi. The Mexican omelets were great. Service was wonderful! We would ask for Alex to be our waiter everyday. Olivia is the chef concierge and if there is something special that you want just ask her. We had lobster enchiladas for breakfast our last morning!

The selection of beers and liquors available is by far the most extensive that I have seen at an all-inclusive resort and better than most non all-inclusives. There are 26 different kinds of beer! Beer drinker HEAVEN! Every bartender we encountered was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient! The pool bar and lobby bar are open at 9:00am. We went to 2 shows at the theater this trip, the ROCK show, and Boogie nights. Both were professionally choreographed and amazing! We also made it to the main disco this trip. The disco is located at the Iberostar shopping plaza. The bellmen will take you there in a golf cart. The disco is huge and was packed. You could not ask for better night life.

A nice plus is that if you stay at the Grand you have full privileges as the 4 other Iberostar resorts located next door the Grand. If is worth going over to the lobby at the Mayan Resort next door which has a huge pyramid snake bar. The Mayan also has a lazy river that is wonderful to float around in with a frozen margarita or mojito.

All of the Star Friends activity staff were great and there were lots of activities you could participate in if you wanted. There is a very large nice tranquility pool area with waitress service if you just want total peace and relaxation.

If you enjoy walking on the beach you can go for miles by heading south. I did it barefoot and had no problem. I walked about 4 miles one way going past Secrets Maroma and all the way to Eldorado Maroma. There is a public bar/restaurant just before Eldorado Maroma where you can get a cold beer before the long walk back.
We took the resort Hobie cats out saling 2 days.

Overall this trip was as good or better than our first one and we can not wait to return for a 3rd trip. We also plan on returning to the IB Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica as it is a close toss up as to which of these resorts we like the best. There are things we love about both and defintely recommend trying both.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Stowe, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand for eight nights in early July (July 4-12, 2009). It was our third trip to the Grand. We have traveled extensively in Mexico, mostly to non all-inclusive hotels. Our experience with all-inclusive hotels in Mexico is limited to the Grand, Excellence Riviera Cancun, and the Iberostar Tucan. Without a doubt, the Grand is the best resort out of that limited list.

I will not repeat all of the positives about this resort that are listed in all the previous reviews. I will highlight some of the things we really enjoyed, and some issues we encountered. This review is a combination of my thoughts and some forum postings that I posted live when I was at the Grand.

We breezed through the Cancun airport on a Saturday in a record-setting 15 minutes, and we were at the Grand within an hour of our plane’s landing. Tourism is definitely decreased. At the Grand, we were told that the hotel is at 30% occupancy. I think staff knows the occupancy level because it determines whether or not they will work. Staff is being furloughed (i.e., one week on, one week off with no pay) rather than being laid off in the anticipation that occupancy will increase. We were told that the Grand was at 100% occupancy when the flu crisis hit - occupancy decreased to single digits within one week. 30% occupancy means the dinner buffet and large lunch buffet are closed. Oceanfront building 70 is also closed. Service is still excellent - I didn’t see or feel any decrease in overall quality or service compared to prior trips. We were told that most guests right now are American or Canadian. There are few European guests, which is a major departure from the norm, according to staff.

What does this 30% occupancy level mean? Plenty of prime chair space at the pool and the beach. The place does not feel like a ghost town - it just feels more like an exclusive resort where guests have a lot of personal space. There are plenty of folks hanging out at the main pool -it just doesn't feel crowded. The tranquility pool was almost empty. The beach has few people on it. Staff is much attuned to guest's needs. The reception staff and the bell captain remembered us from our December trip – it was very nice to be remembered!

It doesn’t hurt to ask for an upgrade; you might get one for free or at a reduced cost. But don’t expect one for free, and then you won’t be disappointed. An upgrade from standard room to oceanfront is generally $120 per night. Upgrade from oceanfront to honeymoon villa is $120 night, or upgrade from standard to honeymoon villa - $350 per night. I got the feeling that ALL is negotiable. ALL. For folks who paid to upgrade to oceanfront from standard, we heard they paid from $120 per night, $60 per night, $30 per night, or $0. As for the honeymoon villas - they might be bigger, but they are very removed from the rest of the resort. They are in the jungle. I would think there would be more mosquitoes to contend with. If you want total privacy for a honeymoon, that would be the place. However, if I had to choose between the villas and oceanfront, I'd choose oceanfront - hands down. The view is amazing. The rooms are really beachfront, rather than oceanfront.

We had booked a standard room, but upgraded to an oceanfront room in building 71. For an upgrade we were given the option of an upper floor ocean view room, or a bottom floor ocean front room, and we snagged the ocean front one. The view was lovely, as building 71 had no vegetation obstructing the view to the ocean. I liked the location of building 71 a bit better than building 70, as 71 is a bit more isolated from the Lindo/Maya beach and the water sports hut. Either building, though, is lovely.

We were in room 7103. We were given chilled champagne and IB* Grand golf shirts as returning guests. We were greeted by our butler. We were offered bottles of liquor in the room, but declined. We were offered unpacking of our bags but also declined. The room had some issues: door lock on the slider to patio would not fully engage; hair dryer in bathroom operated but only if you held the button in the “on” position; one giant (like 3”) bug in the bathroom; fridge was not operational. For me, the definition of a great hotel is not the absence of problems, but how the hotel deals with the issues. All of our issues were dealt with promptly and to our satisfaction. The room is lovely – plush, well-designed, and with a comfortable mattress and fine linens. Bathroom privacy is not an issue; the bathroom is large, with 2 sets of sinks, a large Jacuzzi tub, and a toilet area with a frosted door. The entire bathroom is closed off from the entrance hallway with a set of double doors. The entrance hallway can then be closed off from the room with another door. The room is very quiet and soundproof. One issue with the rooms that is a negative for me: the shower is small. I am not a large person, but the shower feels cramped (see photo). Ladies, there is no way to shave your legs in the shower, as there is no foot hold.

Things I had forgotten about this place: it is the cleanest resort I have ever seen, inside and out. It is unbelievable. Also, the attention to detail - the intricate tile work, the lush, lush, landscape and how it is manicured - just blows me away.

I prefer to not review the food, since food is one area that subjectivity is off the map. I will say that we found the food to be fresh, well-prepared, and finely presented. We did miss the dinner buffet being closed due to low occupancy. The dinner buffet was a great alternative to nights that you didn’t want to dress and dine. We did order dinner from room service one night, and really enjoyed it. We were told it would arrive in 35 minutes and it did; hot. Food in general is prepared and presented with a European flavor; the lunch and breakfast buffets have a definite European twist to them with meats, cheeses, etc… Hint: they make the best soups at lunch: cream of squash, chicken, etc… Our favorite ala carte restaurant was Toni’s (the surf & turf) for the double cut filet. The food is simple and well-prepared at Toni’s, if you are craving less complex cuisine. The Italian has a beautiful décor and romantic atmosphere and the food was pretty good. We didn’t eat at the gourmet restaurant this time, but in the past we enjoyed it. The Japanese place – here’s a tip if you don’t want an extended dining experience at the Teppaynaki table; sit at a regular table and you can order most anything you wish. And it won’t take two hours, like the Teppanyaki experience has for us in the past. We also ate twice at the Mexican ala carte at the Maya – they have tacos al pastor and a tortilla soup that are excellent.

Frozen drinks are consistent in the lobby bar and less consistent at the pool and beach. I think this might be because the beach cocktail waitress mixes her own drinks in a small bar area in the oceanfront buildings. The drinks on the beach seemed to be dependent on the skill of the cocktail waitress. Pool bar drinks were more consistent, but less consistent than drinks in the restaurants or lobby bars. We had no issue with asking for top shelf and getting something lesser. They are not out to nickel and dime. You know you are spoiled and sated when room service comes to deliver a surprise bottle of birthday champagne - and you silently groan because you can't possibly imbibe another thing... That, to me, is the essence of the Grand. Speaking of champagne, you can get it delivered by the bottle poolside or on the beach, unlike some other all-inclusive resorts that will not serve you an entire bottle of anything.

I think in the past I have said that guests at the Grand seem older than other resorts of its class. I realize that is not the case. I think guests are quieter and more into their own little “couples bubbles” than at other adult all-inclusives I have been to. There are plenty of young (i.e., 20's and early 30's) couples here and overall, this place is mellow and very Zen. There is so much space, and private cabanas, that it is possible to live in a little vacation bubble if one wishes. One thing that differed from past trips was the noise level around the main pool and swim up bar in the afternoon. Between the Star Friends activities and a group of 18 or so loud, rude people, the main infinity pool was very loud. There was a group who arrived at the pool with iPod speakers - they also played the music on their balcony and they stayed in the room above me. They shouted and yelled at the pool -one guy was banging on his chest like Tarzan and screaming. The women were even louder than the men. They completely took over the pool bar and pool. Classy group, they were. One of the pool bartenders commented that this group was in the lounge on a previous night and drove folks out of it with their noise and shenanigans. They were either completely oblivious to their rudeness, or just didn’t care. I think it was the latter. This group was an aberration. And it was only in the afternoons – not all day.
This is the only trip to the Grand where we have experienced behavior like this. The Star Friends are louder than they used to be, too. I don't remember them having a microphone, and now they do - and they use it in the afternoons to announce pool activities and then provide live commentary on the activities. Really, they should lay off the microphone. It is totally out of character with rest of the resort, in my opinion.
Luckily, there is the beach and the quiet pool for escape. We can't control the manners of other guests, but we can control our location :) What makes the grand heavenly is that there is a plethora of space – there are three pools and the beach for 400 guest rooms, so you can always find a spot that appeals to you. Moral of the story: around 3 PM escape to the quiet pool or the beach if you seek peace. Or, stay at the main pool and crank up the volume on your iPod.

The main infinity pool is heavenly - the salt water makes you so buoyant you practically float. I wouldn't want to swim laps in it - the water feels too heavy for that. You can now get floats from the towel hut, along with suntan lotion (i.e., emergency lotion) and books and magazines in multiple languages (reading material that guests have left behind). Hint: if you are staying in one of the beachfront buildings, towels are also stocked in the wooden armoires in building lobby - no need to go to the towel hut if you are headed for the beach. The main pool has lounge chairs in about 5 inches of water that are lovely - you can then slide from your lounge chair directly into the pool. The pool is huge with ample seating, much larger than the pool and with more seating than we observed when we walked down the beach to Secrets Maroma Beach. We swam laps in the quiet pool in the early AM. The quiet pool is just that – very quiet with a sign that says, “Silencio, Por Favor.”
I enjoyed the Grand much more in the summer than in December. It is a lot more fun, somehow, to just get in and out of the pool all day. In December, it was too cold to get in the pool. We only went in once in the quiet or main pools, and really only used the heated indoor spa pool. Only the indoor pool is heated. Both times in December, it was windy and cloudy half of our trip. We wore sweatshirts on the beach for several days. However, I am always cold so I am not the best judge of that stuff! Yes, it is hot in July, but I like hot weather. December is more comfortable air temperature wise, for sure, but the pool is almost unusable.

Most folks hang at the pool, it seems. The beach is beautiful, wide, and very clean. It is groomed nightly with a machine. Yes, there are large boulders at the waterline on the beach between buildings 70 and 71. They make for picturesque shots, and also deter folks from the other (crowded) Iberostar resorts from frolicking on the Grand’s beachfront or swimming in the water. There are many places to enter the water in front of the Grand itself; being water shoes to avoid stubbing your toe and you will be fine. As for swimming, there are areas in front of building 70, in front of the Maya, and to the right of building 71 that are fine for swimming.

Hint: there is an area directly to the right of building 71 - go past the rocks at the edge of the surf and past the Capella Residence sign and walk for 1-2 minutes (sorry, I can't estimate feet). There is a stretch of abandoned beach that has water as clear and blue as that of Maroma Beaches. That part of the beach doesn’t belong to the Grand, and is not yet groomed since the Capella Residences have not been built, but we did see some workers removing seafood from the beach. Maybe the Grand knows that folks like to use that beach and so they clean it, a bit, even though it doesn’t belong to the resort?

The beachfront area of the Grand alone is as large as the beachfront areas of the Lindo, Maya, Del Mar and Beach COMBINED. There is tons of space on the Grand's beach - only 2 chairs to a large palapa rather than 4 chairs like at Secrets Maroma Beach. The beach at the Grand is spacious, and the space between the beach palapas wide. Each palapa has two chairs; a wooden table is built into the palapa support pole. Some chairs are cushioned and others are not. The entire beach area in front of the infinity pool has no palapas or chairs, since it would have spoiled the view from the pool to the ocean. Not many resorts down here take that type of care with planning - they just try to cram in as many beach chairs as possible.

This trip was quite different from the other two, but we found that for us, this is still a wonderful resort. In my opinion, The Iberostar Grand provides a lot of bang for the buck, given the level of luxury that surrounds you, the food, and the service. This is a stunning resort that photos cannot seem to capture the essence. No costs were sparred in building and furnishing the resort and it shows. Staff is friendly, efficient and eager to serve. They appreciate gratuities but do not expect them. There are some inconsistencies; expect some inconsistencies in drinks, and in butler service. Neither of those things bothered me in the slightest, but I thought I would mention them. Don’t expect 100% perfection. Chances are, you will have an issue or two. If there is an issue, speak up and let your butler or concierge know. Any issues that arose for us were dealt with promptly.

I’d give the Grand a 4.5 out of 5; I’d rate Excellence Riviera Cancun a 4, and the Iberostar Tucan a 3.5. I am still seeking that elusive adult-only all-inclusive resort that rates a 5. Any ideas, anyone?

I have uploaded some photos and some video. Feel free to personal message me with questions.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We celebrated our 10 year anniversary two years ago at this resort. It has raised the bar and expectations for travel! I was not a fan of the all inclusive because something is usally lacking in the food, liquor quality. NOT HERE! Our travel agent convinced us to go and we were so happy we came back again this year for our second trip! We just couldn't justify taking a chance on something less than this resort. When we came 2 years ago, it was only open 2 months and there were just a few tiny kinks to work out. This time, amazing. The indoor workout complex/pool is a must visit with the huge massive jets to offer a quick impromptu massage. Minor complaint (I almost feel bad posting it), the weather was looking stormy so we went inside of the spa to try and schedule a last minute massage while we waited out the rain (which lasted all of 8 minutes, btw). It was maybe noon and they said they were booked up...but the resort was almost empty? There is a spa at the Grand for couple trtmts only and a spa at the shopping center for all guests at all of the sister hotels. Upon further probing, I discovered they had sent all of their therapists to accomodate large groups over there. They did have a poolside massuese, but we wanted full massage privacy. At such a luxurious place, no way should you have a spa unable to accomodate guests, even on a last minute whim. Plus I didn't want to ride the shuttle to the "commom" spa (spoiled!) and then have to wait for the golf cart to come get you after you're so relaxed. Yes for Grand guests only, you can call for a golf cart to wisk you around the complex anywhere you want to go. All of the other guests at the other hotels had to take the trolley and wait at the trolley stop (spoiled!). With a bit of complaining, they worked us in at 4 pm and it was great! You get really spoiled here it's almost like when someone tells you no you can't believe it!!! We went down to the sister hotel for our watersports via golfcart, but felt no need to visit the sister hotel restaurants because the food at the Grand is top notch. Even after our parasailing, we used the bathroom at the bar of the sister hotel and my husband tried to order a drink but was faced with odd looking no name liquor and questionable food and stinky bathrooms....so we headed back to the Grand and never looked back. Can you tell I'm a Grand snob??? Also, please visit every bathroom you pass at the Grand, you'll be speechless! This hotel spares no attention to detail or service. I'm very picky and we took the book from our room with us so we can find another Grand somewhere else next year but we are actually contemplating a third trip. Lastly, our butlers and concierge's knew where we were, I was looking for my husband, "yes, ma'am he has just arrived from playing golf" looking for our friends, "they've just gone down by the pool". Not much nightlife at the Grand, shows cigar bar and piano bar. That's great for us because we like to relax, there's a club in the center. Last complaint, when it was only 2 months old, we had steak, shrimp and lobster by the pool. This time we actually had to get up, put on a cover up and go inside the restaurant! The nerve of them!!! ;) We have sent 4 other couples over the past 2 years and when we go without our kids, this place really did the trick!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
South Yorkshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This review is so overdue - we travelled to this hotel in October 08 to celebrate my husbands 40th Birthday. If you like being treated well made made to feel really special - get to this hotel. The staff just can't do enough for you but it is not overbearing - they have got it just right. Thanks Jimmy for making my husbands birthday a real treat - shame we could not eat all the cake!!!!
The food was way too good - still working those pounds off now. Had a la carte reservations nearly every nite - only used the buffet for breakfast and 2 evening meals.
Top quality branded drinks available 24 hours a day - the mini bar consists of whatever you want. We ordered champers on the balcony a few days. Lots of different minature wines to try while you bubble in the jaccuzi. Canned branded beers round the pool.
Paradise. You also get use of the other 4 hotels in the resort - we enjoyed the shows int he Maya but it was way too humid so we went off back to the airconditioned showbar at the grand!!!
Well equiped gym - all new - lovely spa nice grounds
Got a few mossy bites and it rained quite a bit - may try a better time for the weather next time - oh yes we will be back!!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Queensbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

As Husband/Wife we traveled for the first time without kids. We were looking for an all inclusive that could offer restful relaxation, excellent customer service, good food and drink. We narrowed our search down and based our choice on the many consistently high reviews given on this site. While we tried to be realistic with our expectations - we have to admit they were pretty high given it is rare that we get time away without our kids. The Grand met all of our expectations and offered much more. We stayed 4 nights from late June into July.

We had an oceanfront junior suite in building 71 which we loved. The bed was extremely comfortable. We didn't choose from the pillow menu - the ones on the bed were just great.

As was noted, the beach was rocky, but that was ok with us since we more than enjoyed the salt water pool overlooking the ocean. For those interested in the surf, a short walk down the beach either way offered a better area to swim.

We enjoyed the food. We are pretty simple eaters and not accustomed to 5-star menu choices. We had no complaints other than to think the buffets might get routine if you were to stay for a long time. Having said that, there were certainly plenty of choices. We most enjoyed eating at Toni's Surf and Turf as the food most suited our preferences. After a couple of days and conversation with several of the hostesses, we felt more at ease with picking and choosing from several meal options to create meals that suited us best. We never rushed to make reservations however occupancy may have been lower when we stayed.

While we heard great things from other guests about the night time shows - we could never make it until 10:00! Between the sun, surf and total relaxtion, we found ourselves enjoying the room more at that hour. Room service for a late night dessert was a nice option.

The bed was extremely comfortable! We didn't take the time to try the "pillow menu" and stuck with the ones on the bed - they more than met our needs.

We didn't play games with the STAR friends, but found them fun to watch. There was never any pressure to participate.

We enjoyed the fitness area - it met all of our needs. The equipment is top notch. If you are looking for more, you have the option to use the facilities outside of the GRAND on hotel grounds which were said to be larger with more to offer. We also enjoyed a one hour couples massage which was lovely.

Staff was cleaning all the while - anything distracting or noisy seemed to be done early so as not to interrupt the tranquility of the day.

We would highly recommend this resort and will look forward to returning next year to this one or another Grand. We have in fact already encouraged friends who are looking for a place to travel to next month to consider this as an option - our photos confirm the beauty of this magical place.

Our thanks to the staff for going above and beyond. We tipped often - while not always alot, we felt the staff deserved it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Having just returned from our second superb visit to this hotel we can sum up the fundamental reason this venue stands out amongst its few real competitors. It is simply the staff!!! Everyone without exception goes out of their way to make the holiday of a lifetime. The mexican people are the warmest, kindest people i have met, always eager to help. They work unbelievably hard over long hours to serve and entertain you. Nothing is too much trouble. If you have a special food request or deviation from a set menu just ask (politely please) and you will be looked after. If something goes wrong it is immediately put right without a fuss.Tipping is not expected but do it! Its appreciated and if you can afford to go, you can afford to put a smile on someones face! When you are on your 5th Mohito or Cocoloco by 11am it makes everones day.
As soon as we arrived in reception we were recognised and made especially welcome. I can only repeat my comments last year......if you can find serious fault with anything at this venue then you need some heavy thererapy and need to get out more! Weve been to the best of the best all over the world and the Grand stands out amongst the top. You wont find the single best because all venues are different! The fun is in trying them all !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont bother to compare the Grand with other good hotels item by item. JUST GO..... AND HAVE A TRULY FANTASTIC BREAK. If you dont go you are missing out.Finally forget the flu.. you stand more chance of being run over by a car 40yards from home!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 10 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 stars 4,456 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!