“I wish I could give this a 6 star rating!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Kansas City
“I wish I could give this a 6 star rating!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We just got back from the Grand for a 7 night stay celebrating my 30th birthday! It was our first time staying at the hotel and I booked thanks to the great reviews on trip advisor. We've stayed at the Grand in Punta Cana, DR before and I thought it was amazing….until now. This is by far the nicest, friendliest resort we have ever been to. Almost everyone we met on vacation was a return guest and now I know why!! My husband and I decided that we won't find anything better then the Grand Hotel Paraiso and plan to return for our next vacation! :)

The Staff: Everyone from the waiters, hostesses, STAR staff and bartenders remembered our names, our drinks etc. We made great friends with Daniel at the Lobby bar and he made my birthday special with shots that he lit on fire and having a dirty martini waiting for me as soon as we walked up to the bar (grey goose by the way! They only serve top shelf liquor).

I want to give a BIG shout out to Evelyn (one of the STAR staff members), we became great friends over the course of the week and I miss her already!!!! She works long hours and always has a smile on her face! The rest of the STAR staff was great as well, got us involved in several activities and made our vacation amazing.

The butler service was nice; bubble baths and rose pedals that spelled out happy birthday…champagne and a cake on my bday! They know how to make their guests feel special.

Food: As I've mentioned we've stayed at a Grand before and the food here was 10x better then in Punta Cana!!! I loved ALL the restaurants and am sure that I gained at least 5lbs. in one week! :) Definitely make reservations at the restaurants though, they are worth it over the buffet! The fried brie at the French restaurant was my fave….yum!!!

Sidenote: There is a lazy river at one of the other Iberostar's (which all guests of the Grand have access to); it was fun to try out, but it also made us realized how much nicer the Grand is then all the other Iberostar resorts that are next door! Spend the extra money and stay at the Grand!! There's a reason it's won so many awards and is rated #1! :) We will be back soon!!!!!

Room Tip: The ocean front upgrade on the 3rd floor is the way to go! Definitely worth it!!!! You may not spen...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for sharing your experience.

We are happy to hear that you have had an amazing holiday and a special 30th birthday. It was a pleasure to contribute to making it unforgettable.

It is good to know that you liked the food and that you enjoyed our facilities and the activities offered.Our goal is to make every single guest feel like a star so we really appreciate your mention of the service and friendliness of our staff.

Moreover, we are delighted about your comment of us being by far the nicest, friendliest resort you have ever been to. It is an honor that you wish to give us a 6 star rating. Thank you for recommending our hotel!!

We truly hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Polish first
northamptonshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Before our Mexico trip we stayed in Vegas @ the Bellagio

I didn't want to spend my holiday writing on trip advisor and it's rare I do for a guy who holidays every month and has for 3 years but I felt a bit let down here at times
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my stay here

Ok I won't be writing an essay but here are a few pointers for would be purchasers & hopefully hotel Mangement of this resort

I would 1st like to mention 4 staff that excelled Pedro a waiter Italian & buffet restaurants & alicia at check in and pretty Laura the concierge & iserial head waiter in the buffet they all out shone all other staff for us

The whole place is spotlessly clean !

We weren't in a standard room or a sea view room but the Villas which are the best 7 rooms on the site ( & pretty faultless really )

Bellagio V here for food is like a triple whopper with cheese V those microwave petrol station burgers your hungry they fill a gap but had no real taste

Points I noted were -
40% staff not friendly act as if they are but weren't really that good
Some staff walked off or drove off mid sentence in fact all bell boys & some waiters mainly breakfast time ( maybe they don't like early mornings ? )
Great location of the hotel
Great views from the main pool
Sea great but less rocky & seaweed down the beach quater mile well worth a beach walk and swim
jetskis in front of the beautiful beach from the next door iberostar resorts buzzing around spoiling the views and was a disappointment
Next door adjoining hotel as you went up beach all the same hotel chain ( its a big complex !) it went from
Butlins to
18-30
Our beach was quiet but not as nice as the other beach to swim to look at ok better if you want the quiet and child free which I did but there are better swimming areas than this beach
Food lacked tasted generally and I've not been as ill since 3 previous trips to Egypt
Ala carte was all a let down only the Mexican & Italian were just ok and all the food was pretty much the same as the buffet lunch & dinner lots of lobster & tuna & fish which don't get me wrong I love but 10 days with no sauce or cooked with flavour gets pretty dull ! I found myself eating stuff I wouldn't expect in a resort
Breakfast twice I ordered off the menu for a change I had to wait
20 min for Thai scrambled egg twice I walked out 3rd time I thought what the hell & it was just scrambled eggs with soy sauce
Massive selection of foods but all lacked flavour & taste was bar far my biggest disappointment never having been to Mexico I was told by some Americans this is standard .......... Also
Better brand of coffee or a selection it was like dish water with a bitter after taste I asked the waiters they said all guests complain about this but it was down to cost savings they said
The bar by reception did nice floater coffees to take away the taste with brandy & whiskeys etc
our fabulous room which it was until -
Noise sewage pumps 2am Waking us up
Lorries 6.55am till 9am with reversing bleepers right outside our room

Breakfast card left only twice in 10 days & when we did try it well it was
Cold food and pointless ordering it
So much for the well advertised butler & breakfast service it was pointless and your better off going to the buffet and room service was just the same

Also the Buffet food was cold because they didn't cook 70% of the food fresh they cook batches and leave it plated to take off the buffet
I asked for a fresh cooked hot lobster which was frowned on and the cook got a manger from the kitchen who looked at me in such a away I thought my lobster would be cooked in toilet water

After Deli belly three times from buffet food I passed on his unfriendly offer

Don't get me wrong I had a nice time but as mentioned some areas for the branded 5,star weren't as I hoped and I have scored it according its still a good place

Room Tip: Villa was amazing
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacations. It is good to read that you had a nice time at our hotel.
It is a pleasure to know that you found Pedro, Alicia, Laura and Israel always friendly and serviceable during your stay; we will congratulate them for their excellent work.

Your suggestions about our culinary offerings have been shared with our Executive Chef to take in consideration. Thank you for your feedback, as it help us to improve our service day by day.

Concerning the room renovations, we have a maintenance program during the year; however we usually block the entire building to avoid any inconveniences. Our concierge and the front desk staff's procedure is to verify any availability to change rooms in case any work has to be carried out during our guests’ vacation. So we are deeply sorry about this disturbance.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again to show our improvements, we will keep working to provide an unforgettable vacation to all our guests.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My best friend K and I spent a week in early June at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. I had ready many reviews and watched videos, so thought I was ready for this trip. NOTHING could have prepared me for the utter luxuriousness of this trip. Be warned: you may suffer light depression up to a month after your visit, as real life is not as good as the IGP!
We checked in at Air Canada, somewhat underweight; I point this out as the humidity in Mexico made our luggage overweight on the return flight, so factor in humidity when calculating your weight allowance. We used the Plaza Premium/AmEx lounge at the International Terminal at Pearson, but please note no alcohol is served until 11 a.m. according to GTAA regulations. Turns out on the flight down we had an empty space between us, which always feels like a bonus. Air Canada Rouge only serves drinks and no food, although they rent tablets (or use your own) for entertainment. On arrival, we set our watches back an hour, and went through inspection. Quick van ride to hotel (about thirty minutes, depending on other hotel drop-off’s) and we were offered a welcome drink of champagne or mango margarita, along with “Welcome home!” They don’t just say that, they live it in their service and outlook. Because our room was not ready (check in is at 3 pm, it was around 1 pm), they suggested we try the beach buffet so we had grilled lobster, pizza, and champagne, followed by choosing a day bed by the main salt pool. Within moments, someone had come to take our drink orders, and as my friend lit her cigarette, someone else appeared with an ashtray, without being asked. (She had a small travel ashtray with her already). We returned to front desk and found our room was second floor oceanfront, in Building 70. Just: WOW!!
Bellboy brought our luggage along with us in golf cart, we didn’t have to lift a finger. Room was gorgeous and view was spectacular. Great balcony overlooking beach and palms, with swinging wicker two-seater and daybed with pillows and mosquito netting. After a welcome nap, we unpacked and had room service dinner; cold seafood platter (two rock lobster tails, stone crab claws, 4 mussels, 4 shrimp, with all shells cracked for you) accompanied with seafood dip, Caprese salad with big slices of buffalo mozzarella, chocolate ganache tart with fresh berries, margherita pizza, Il Donini pinot grigio from Italy, and Dubois bubbly (made by the Freixenet company). Big screen TV in the armoire, with doors that slide back into the armoire when you are watching Spanish, English, German and Chinese TV. The beds are amazing, best bed I’ve ever slept on, the sheets were so luxurious and tons of pillows. We slept in, had naps and went to bed early, because these beds were so comfy. Turn-down service at night had the neck rolls done up in pillowcases, and different linen set-ups (they change out the carpet and put down a linen runner). There is a light switch by the bed which switches off everything, and beside that is the AC control – we also had the fan going keeping the room air moving. Electricity: it is 110 V, the same as US and Canada but if you are from Europe or elsewhere, you may want to bring a converter. We had occasional electrical blackouts for a second or two during rain storms. Also, if you are on the balcony for a while, the interior lights go off but turn right back on the minute you open the door to come back into the room.
The AC was great and kept the room cool, whether it was raining or sunshine outside. There is a desk lamp on the small dining table which uses a switch on the plug wire, and the larger standing lamp (beside the striped chaise lounge) turns on by stepping on a foot switch. Took us a few days to figure that out!
Bathroom: has two sinks at either end so you each get your preparation space, there are two robes, a phone in toilet zone, two pairs of slippers (in regular and extra large), Gilchrist and Soames toiletries (including bath salts for the Jacuzzi tub). The shower had a rain showerhead and the tub had a hand-held showerhead. In the closets they had a safe (no charge for it), and iron as well as ironing board. Room had a mini fridge with Tanqueray, Absolut, Bacardi, and Orendain tequila, as well as beer, Cristal water, orange Fanta, Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite. Also peanuts and potato chips/crisps. All of these items were replenished daily to our custom request; I had read elsewhere you could order a 40 oz. of your favourite but we never got around to doing that. We DID order lots of Il Donino Pinot Grigio and Dubois bubbly!
The breakfast buffet has fresh juices, fresh smoothies (custom made to order), figs, mangos, Activia and Danone yogurts, huge selection of breakfast buffet foods as well as a menu if you want to order Lobster Blinis or Eggs Benedict. Try the blood sausage – sounds awful, tastes delish. Did a tour of all the beautiful grounds and offerings: the main lobby where you check in offers a wonderful 24-hour bar, with constant offerings of petite sandwiches and pastries. They replace them often so they are always fresh. I even saw them have someone inspect the freezer case in their attention to detail. Great cigar lounge with deep leather club chairs, as well as a humidor and shisha. I sat there for five minutes and someone appeared, offering a drink. You literally cannot sit still for five minutes without someone asking you if they can do anything for you. Service plus!
We had booked our restaurants the week before by email but ended up cancelling them all – we loved room service, or the main buffet in the restaurant building. Every time we had something delivered, the staff would politely ask, “May I come in to your room?” I had seen many photos of all the places on Trip Advisor while doing my research, but did not realize that the main buffet at the pool has two restaurants upstairs, the surf and turf and Japanese; the French is downstairs beside the main buffet. Hopefully we will try them out next time!
If you want to travel into Playa del Carmen, they have a shuttle that costs five dollars each way. Total bargain! The golfcart will take you to Lindo five minutes away where you get the shuttle, and you are dropped off in PDC. Tip: do not wear your hotel bracelet into town. We had some guy say, “Hey! I’m your waiter at breakfast! Remember me?” Spoiler alert: we had never gone to breakfast at that point. He could just read our bracelets and know where we were staying. Fun places in PDC: Ah Cacao for a chocolate hit; Hacienda Tequila for samples; just grabbing a margarita anywhere. There is a new luxury mall at the corner of Constituyentes and Fifth; the intersection has a roundabout with a five-foot-tall statue of a Mayan head. Constituyentes is the shorter street, while Fifth Avenue is parallel to the water, and that is the long street to shop along. I recommend La Europea at the luxury mall for best alcohol prices, but Hacienda Tequila Factory has a bigger selection of less famous artisanal tequila brands. Recommended tequilas: Fortaleza, Clase Azul, Cava de Oro, Casa Noble, El Tesoro de Don Felipe. I even bought a four-ounce Cava de Oro Extra Anejo for 20 USD – nice!
On Saturday, the weather was a bit grisly so we spontaneously decided to invade Cancun. Fifty USD to cab into Cancun and get out at Luxury Avenue Mall on Avenida Kukulcan. We were sorry to discover that the casino that used to be there is gone (gasp! Nooo!) and Louis Vuitton has now moved to La Isla Mall (the semi-outdoor mall with white tent coverings). La Joya, a store immediately to your right after entering through Liverpool Duty Free store, had a great assortment of silver pieces for $20 USD, as well as lots of other jewelry. This mall has several very well-stocked silver places. Upstairs, Hacienda Tequila factory has expanded, but I note that the prices are about ten percent higher in Cancun than they were in Playa. We always enjoy the Burger King upstairs as they have guacamole for your burger. We cabbed La Isla for ten USD from Luxury Avenue, which took about three minutes although it was too far to walk in the heat, and after doing some shopping for souvenirs at the myriad of shops, we cabbed to Dubai Palace Casino. Please see my review on TA. While it is great to get out and about, we were so happy to come home to IGP where everything is beautiful, calm and quiet.
Sunday we spent the morning at the beach and then hit the tranquility pool, where I discovered the foot jets for some cheap’n’easy reflexology. Lovely to bob about in the water and watch the iguanas sun themselves. The tranquility pool has a hot tub at each end and you feel very refreshed and cool when you get out. Mirna is the hardest-working pool waitress in the business, and very lovely, always asking if you need anything. (Please tip the staff if you can. I noticed how few guests tipped. If you can afford this place, you can afford a simple tip of a dollar/peso or two. End of rant.) You can buy pool floats at the hotel gift shop but we’d brought our floaties down, and I left mine on the last day with a British lady who had just arrived for two weeks. Nothing like floating in the tranquility pool, then resting in a cabana, eating fresh nachos, guac and salsa… wash it down with a shot of Don Julio Reposado.
Sunday night they put on a Mexican buffet that was amazing, we were welcomed with fresh cucumber margaritas rimmed with chipotle salt, there was lots of tequila, amazing varieties of Mexican cuisines and a fantastic assortment of desserts, while a mariachi band played. This is not to be missed. At the buffet, they will carry your plate for you to your table, open the door for you, replace your napkin immediately, and your glass is always full.
Monday morning I went to confirm our flight back, and the bellboy confirmed our bag pickup the day before at a time convenient for us. We spent our last day at the tranquility pool and then had dinner at the main buffet for dinner, all feeling very sorry that we had to leave heaven on earth I had booked a wakeup call which came at the correct time and they also called again, just in case we fell back asleep. The bell boy brought our stuff downstairs and golf-carted us to the front desk for a fast and easy check out, and then the shuttle came on time; however, you pick up a few other hotels and those people were a bit late.
Do I recommend IGP? Completely. You could not shut me up about the place for about three weeks afterward. It was the cleanest place I’ve ever been, and kudos to the staff at all levels; pride is obvious in their work, the grounds are constantly being washed, swept, trimmed, groomed to perfection. Super clean throughout. Some Texans told me that the golf course was amazing, and they do have a little putting green by the main pool. Now, I did have a little Mexico gastro issue but I assure you, it was all my fault, as I rather enjoyed playing Tip Toe Through The Drinks Menu. IGP is best suited to couples/honeymooners/over 35’s but we are two single middle-aged females and we had a great time. If you are looking to meet single people for a love connection, this is not the place, but if you are travelling with a partner or good friend, you will have an awesome time being looked after on every level. The Star Friends were friendly but did not pressure us; all of them are very attractive, personality-plus and multilingual. I think the Iberostar asks their staff to follow one rule: Make each guest feel beloved, welcomed and special. Job well done. Mexico is a fantastic place to visit and this is really a superb hotel in all respects. We loved it and dream of returning as soon as we can!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraíso and for the time you spent to share your personal impressions on your stay; reviews like yours are truly inspiring for our dedicated team.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify several aspects of your trip: the quality of food and beverages, the buffet and a la carte restaurant, the beach, the room and specially the friendliness and efficiency of our staff.
Moreover, we really appreciate your comment about Myrna, as you said she is one of the hardest-working employees we have the privilege to work with, and we are proud to have her in our team. It is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will share with them that they were part of your happiness.

We make every effort to create memories that last a lifetime and to give unforgettable experiences to our guests; this is the reason why we are pleased to see that we reached our goal with you.

Last but not least, we loved to hear that you enjoyed the hotel places nearby, our location in the Riviera Maya is a great advantage for us, thank you for pointing it out.
We look forward to welcoming you back home, where your Mexican family awaits you.
Best regards,

West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Actually stayed May 13 but only just reviewing now - have hankerings to go back to this place all the time. Loved the fact that it was adults only, loved the exclusivity, loved having a leisurely breakfast, followed by a long lunch followed by great variety and choice for dinner. We stayed an ocean front corner suite with jacuzzi and it was beautiful - nothing was too much trouble for our butler - will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ocean front!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear guest,

We feel so happy to read that you are considering coming back to our hotel. Thank you for your latest visit.

Your kind review describing all the services in the hotel matches our commitment with our visitors. Our staff will be pleased to receive your comments and we can assure you that your recognition will strengthen their devotion to their biggest passion which is creating invaluable experiences to our guests with our food choices, a wide variety of premium liquors and beverages, outstanding and luxurious facilities, as well as a personalized service provided by the butler and concierge, who can assist you at any time during the day.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon at the Grand Paraiso Hotel to exceed your expectations one more time.

Best regards,
Hythe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Grand Paraiso 11 - 25 June 2014 and had a wonderful time. When entering the hotel the word was WOW for every little detail. Our bedroom was superb. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous, always a smile on their faces. The food was excellent in the main restaurant. We were a little disappointed with the Japanese restaurant, we were expecting some kind of showmanship but it lacked this. The food was good but it reminded us of a Chinese rather than Japanese.
The beautiful immaculate gardens leading to the pools were superb. The pools were magnificent and if you want peace and tranquility there is a quiet pool. The pool staff serving drinks were marvellous, very attentive and always with a smile. Our special thanks go to Evelyn and Jorgau from the Star entertainment great guys always looking to get people to join in the fun. Always had a smile and very happy to chat away.
Special thanks again go the bell hop guys, they were superb in getting transport etc when we wanted to go somewhere. Not forgetting the guys transporting us in the golf carts, we had great fun with them especially Fabian. All we can say is that we had a fabulous holiday and would like to return again some day. Well done everyone for making us feel very welcome. Susan & Lizzie

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso Hotel's Management, we would like to thank you for the time you spent to let us know your feedback of your stay at the property. We would like to express our gratitude for your kind words including the highlights of your trip as facilities, room, beach, pools, restaurants and food. The most important to us is to go beyond our guests' expectations.

Concerning the points you have highlighted on the Japanese restaurant, please let us inform you that we have forwarded your review to our Executive chef to take your comments into consideration and make the accurate modifications over these services, as the showmanship is indeed part of the service.

We are really happy to read that you were satisfied with the services provided by our colleagues. The animation team really enjoys doing all the activities to keep you entertained and make your stay unforgettable.

It is very pleasant to read wonderful comments about the service and attitude of our staff, your special mention of Evelyn, Jorge and Fabian is greatly appreciated; we recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We do hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great food! Good variety. Nice on resort (5 hotel complex) shopping. Staff: excellent! Comfortable. Luxurious. Peaceful. Quiet (except by the pool bar, which was ok). Gorgeous. Elegant. Beautiful beach with loads of length and sand! The only things we can say that were undesirable were the on site photographer (did a photo shoot, hard to find 5 good shots) and there was a mildew smell that lingered in some areas of the complex. (We got a potpourri to mask the smell in our room) Otherwise, this place was outstanding!!! Definitely going back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because they help us reinforce our ambition to achieve top quality service levels.

Furthermore, we are delighted to know that you found our property luxurious, peaceful and elegant.

As regards to your experience with the photo shoot, please let us inform you that this is an external service provided at the hotel, but for sure we will share your comments with them in order to let them know about your comment.

We look forward to your return to this your home away from home.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Can't think of a better hotel for the price I have paid.
Everything was perfect and every problem was solved by consirge in seconds.

I would for sure go there back again and have another dream holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you allowed us the honor of serving you.

Your evaluation is very important to us because you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other properties. We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated concierge team and no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your vacations and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!