“Amazing Anniversary trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Anniversary trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding Anniversary at the Iberostar from 5/27 thru 5/31. We booked thru Tripguy.com (Thanks Nikki!) and our package was thru Apple vacations. As a frequent reader of Tripadvisor, figured I should offer a review on our experience. Apologize in advance, because it will be lengthy!! Travel was very smooth on Delta from Pittsburgh to Cancun (thru Detroit) as we got put in the exit row for the longer leg from Det to Cancun. Upon Arrival at the airport, the Apple vacation reps were very present outside the terminal and led us to our shared transfer (Amstar). I must admit I was a bit concerned about the shared transfer because we were anxious about getting to the resort and there was quite a group of people around the buses. To my great surprise, we we're whisked thru the line and put on a 20 passenger bus that took us straight to our resort. This is where Customer service was taken to a whole new level. The staff at Iberostar Grand Pariso take care of you like no other. We were greeted off the bus by the bell staff who immediately escorted us to the bar next to the front desk. No need to check in with the front desk and see if the room is ready, they took care of it all. We were told we should not be bothered with the details, that we we're "home", on vacation and should enjoy out cocktails. An amazing start to the trip. Our room was ready (building #71, Oceanfront and awesome) and we were whisked on a golf cart thru the resort and back to our building. The bell hop pointed out all the "important" spots as we drove thru (restaurants, pools, gym, etc) and gave us a nice overview. We pulled into building #71 and were immediately passed off to our building concierge, Lorena, (who was great!) and she was able to set up dinner reservations, golf, etc, etc. From there, Lorena passed us off to our butler for the week, who escorted us to the room and familarized us with all the wonderful amentities (mini-bar, hot tube, room service etc etc). Our view was stunning. We were on the second floor and the balcony overlooked the white sand beach and beautiful blue Caribbean Sea. The view alone was worth the price for oceanfront. The balcony's are large and private and have a couch and swing. The king bed was very comfortable and my wife raved about the pillows. Nice flat screen TV and the bathroom had his and her's sinks, hot tub and shower. It was great. We wasted no time and immediately headed out to the beach. The resort offers unlimited towels, sunscreen, aloe, anything you would ever need. The palapas on the beach are unbelievable and we never had an issue finding a place to sit. Immediately we were greeted with a staff member on the beach asking us if we needed a cocktail. This was a theme thoughout. Never once did i have an empty glass. Selection was amazing...all top shelf (if requested) and the beer selection was good as well. The beach is gorgeous. My wife really enjoys walking and we made our way up and down the beach in both directions. There are areas that are very rocky where the surf meets the sand, but those areas are pretty obvious. You can always find a spot to swim where there are less rocks. I found the surf to be alot rougher than expected and actually got slammed pretty good by the waves the one time i made my way into the water. I mainly stuck to the beach chair and my drink! We made our way from the beach to the main pool where there plenty of chairs available. The pool swim up bar always attracts a crowd, but it was very easy to get a drink. Pool "fun" staff very present and always had some game or activity going on in the pool. Definitely not overbearing and welcomed everyone to join in, but were not pushy if you chose to sit back, have a drink and watch. The resort also offers a "quiet" pool, but we never spent any time there. Nice breeze in the pool area from the beach. The pool is salt water, but had absolutely no issues with that..very clean. The wife and I tried scuba for free in the pool which was cool (our instructor Kim was awesome) and she had us convinced to go on a dive, but we ran out of time. Next time for sure. Played golf (round included) while the wife went to the spa and got a massage. She loved it. I loved it. Got out early (first one out as a single) on the golf course and blew thru 18 holes in about 2:25 minutes. I was back on the beach by 9:30. Amazing. Course was beautiful and very playable. As far as the food was concerned, there was plenty to choose from. You could eat 24/7 if you wanted. Nice selection of restaurants and the buffet was always available. I admit that my expectations were not sky high for the food, and will say, it about met my expectations. We loved the breakfast especially (Olivia mixes a mean omelet!), but the lunch and dinner was just good, not spectacular. There was an overwhelming selection of food (even lobster at every buffet), but nothing super memorable about any of the meals. I do feel that the offerings could satisfy even the pickiest eater and the service was always top notch. We enjoyed the Japanese hibachi restaurant the best, and my wife enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. We didn't take full advantage of the entertainment offered in the evenings, but feedback was all good from others we talked to. They had a pool/cocktail party one night and that was fun. All in all, just a wonderful trip and experience. One other key point that i was concerned about was the internet connection. We left our 2 kids behind and we're hoping to "Facetime" with them. Our connection in the room was great. They gave us codes to connect and I even picked up a signal (although inconsistent) on the beach at times. No issues with connecting with our kids each night and that was great. As we sadly checked out on the last day, our building concierge, Lorena, met us at the front desk and wished us a good trip back home. It was a very nice touch to end the trip as we got to know her and many of the staff thoughout the week. I can't say enough about the staff...everyone always greeted you with an "hola" or "buenos dias" and even would pull up a chair, sit and chat with you. They make the resort what it is. Our shared transfer back to the airport on Saturday did have a stop at another resort and was a little tighter than we wanted it to be to make our flight. We had a very helpful airport person who got our bags checked quickly (bypassing about a 1000 person line) so we could make it. No issues, thank god, and we (and our bags) comfortably made the flight back home. I highly recommend this resort to anyone and I will definitely be back! Don't hesitiate to book. Do it!

Room Tip: Building #71 Oceanfront was awesome. 2nd floor was good too.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is very satisfying to read your review and to know that you had such a good time.

It seems that you enjoyed your whole stay, thank you for highlighting our drinks, your ocean front room with a wonderful view of the beautiful sea, the amenities in your room and the very comfortable king sized beds, and of course the service of our friendly staff.

It is our goal to satisfy all our guests so we take your comment about the food at heart, and will review it with Management and our Executive Chef, as all the feedback received always is.

We also are very pleased with you compliments about the golf course and the spa treatments that you tried, thank you for pointing that out.

Once again thank you for taking your time to write about your stay and we hope to welcome you once again.

Kind regards,

Quality manager
IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from May 22 - May 29, 2014. We had a great experience there and we would like to come back next year. The hotel is clean, the food is great (including the restaurants), the drinks are excellent (including the white and red wines), the employees are amazing, and the beach and swimming pools are just out of this world. They pay attention to every detail and decorated our room on my birthday. We stayed in building #71 with an ocean front room. The view from our room was just a dream. They offer 24 hour room service and you can relax on the terrace, drink there, and enjoy the sound of the waves. I highly recommend this hotel, and we liked that is an "adults only" hotel. We can not find anything to complain about. It was really a fabulous experience.

Room Tip: We enjoyed building # 71 with an ocean front room. Our room was amazing!!!!!!!
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you very much for your loyalty towards our IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is a great pleasure to read that you had a great time.

We are happy to know that during your stay you had the opportunity to enjoy different aspects of our hotel, such as food & beverage, beach, swimming pools and our wonderful staff. These are some of the main pillars of our organization, and to read that we fulfilled your expectations is our best award.

We really appreciate the time you took to share your comments with other travelers. On behalf of all our team, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Pottsville,Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I just returned from this resort and we are wishing we did not have to leave.The structure is like no other,it feels like a grand hotel rather than a beach resort.The gorgeous marble flooring,the beautiful art work and the lighting is just breathtaking. The beach is beautiful,wide,soft flour like sand and lovely chairs to relax on.The pools are beautiful,three in number,each different.The service at the beach was as good as at the dining areas.The staff is very pleasant ,helpful no matter what the task might be.The shows are well done in a fabulous theatre, a wide variety ,something to suit everyone.The food was the only thing that I was not entirely pleased with.Many of the specialty restaurants had the same things offered on the menu,the food was not as hot as it should have been.The bar service was fantastic,I have never seen a bottle of the drink you have requested brought to the table,it was amazing! Beautiful,everyone should go!!

Room Tip: Lower floor is more quiet,all the rooms are the the same in appearance.
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your nice feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are very glad to know that you had memorable days during your journey through the Mexican Caribbean with us. The success of our hotel depends on the impression of all our guests and your comments are the best proof that we are on the right track to keep being one of the best All Inclusive hotels around the world. The IBEROSTAR design team, led by the Majorcan artist José Deudero has inspired the design of decoration in classical Greece and Rome.

Our challenge with you will be to impress you with our food next time you come to visit us. We will keep working on offering the best.

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to let us know your impression and we hope we will have the honor of having your presence in our hotel in the near future.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our 6th visit to the Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso. Noticeable improvements include: new palapas on the beach, new, improved pool cabanas, and better, non-slip lounge cushions. As ever, the friendly, welcoming staff all seem genuinely eager to help in anyway possible. As returning guests we get really delightful greetings from everyone; from the the bellmen to the bartenders to the butlers.

The food in the buffets also seemed better than our last visit, which was October 2013, and they had more people serving in the buffet, providing better service of the excellent cheese assortment at dinner and all the fresh juices at breakfast.

They also added a Mexican ala carte restaurant at dinner, which was really fantastic by any standard.

The beach chair situation was highly competitive this visit, but so was occupancy. If you hadn't claimed your lounges by 7:00AM, you were relegated to the second or third row. It was a little less cut throat by the pool but still be aware that the lounge-saving practice is unavoidable here.

I truly love this place. It's by far the best all-inclusive resort we've been to in Riviera Maya. Feel free to private message me with any questions.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the General Manager, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso again and for sharing your experience.

We are pleased to hear that you have had a wonderful holiday and that you noticed our improvements. Our aim is to continuously make improvements and to make every guest feel like a star. Thank you for your positive comments about the friendly staff, the food, the service and our facilities.

Also we really appreciate that you consider us the best all-inclusive resort in the Riviera Maya!

We hope that you will be staying again at your home away from home.

Kind regards,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have read extensively on this site about the different hotels to stay in this part of Mexico and for the second time in three years my wife and I returned to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We have traveled all over the world and this is the first time that we have chosen to return to the same resort that we had previously stayed at. We did this for one reason in that we knew some of the other resorts may be quite wonderful, as many people have an excellent experience in Mexico, but we knew what we were going to get when we booked this resort. I will list the pro's and con's of this resort below:

1. The level of service and professionalism from this staff is deserving of the five star rating. We never had one person state that they could not do something for us, whether it was change a tee time at the golf course, a reservation for dinner, a late check out time.... you name it they will do their best to help you.

2. The food is very good quality with everything being very fresh and a large selection for everyone to choose from on all of the menu's. We ate at the Surf and Turf, Japanese, lunch buffet, breakfast buffet and the Cajun restaurant. We did not have one bad meal or experience. When we came two years ago I would have rated the food a 6 out of 10 simply for the fact that the tastes were much different than we were used too. I would rate the food 9 out of 10 this year as the filet Mignon was perfectly cooked in the Surf and Turf restaurant as was the Salmon!! The Japanese Hibachi grill was great tasting as well as a great show by the Chef!! I could go on and on about how good the quality and taste of food was but it will bore you and many other people have already stated much about this!! Needless to say it is very good and there is something for everyone!!

2. The pool chairs and pool atmosphere is very inviting and at times very lively while at others very quiet. My wife and I are not big drinkers but will have a few mixed drinks throughout the day and we did not once feel like there was to much party going on around us. You are free to be as involved or reclusive as you would like, as with the food choices we were always met with a smile and a courteous "Hola" from all of the staff at he pool.

3. If you want to listen to the waves roll in at the beach it makes for a very quiet and relaxing time!! The towel game is played but it was never an issue to get a chair as there are plenty of them to go around. I accidentally let my kindle get wet on the first day of our vacation and from that point on I had the screen of death!! I used this kindle one morning to put on a chair by the beach for my wife who would be coming along in a little while. Long story short when we did get to the beach a few hours later the attendant came up to me and asked if that was my kindle and I told her it was and she stated how glad she was to see me as she had been making sure no one would take it!! It proved to us how closely they watch things and how protective they are of their guests!! We definitely appreciated these added touches of personal interaction from the staff. You will be called by your name by most of the staff after you are there for a day or two!! It always amazes us how they can remember two or three hundred peoples names?!!

4. The grounds are impeccable and they do a very good job of keeping things very tidy. There is some construction going on as they are laying concrete on the roof of the walkway which is not far from the pool. Not once did we notice that this was going on while we were at the pool or feel that it interrupted our trip.

5. The golf course is one of the nicest courses you will play. It is a course that they filmed Big Break Mexico and host a PGA event during the year. Needless to say if it were in the states you would need a tee time weeks in advance and be $300-$400 per round. One round is included with your stay and the clubs are $65 for Titlest AP1 set. The green are flawless and a beautiful place to play.

6. We used Cancun Valet for our airport transfer and they picked us up from the airport and took us to the hotel as well as taking us back to the airport on our return trip. We chose to pay an extra $20 and have our own van that did not stop at other resorts either coming or going and this made the trip take less than 30 minutes. Well worth the extra little bit of money as it saved us an hour bounding around the Mexico roads.

Cons:

1. We booked an ocean front room this time after having a serenity pool view room the previous time. My wife would probably tell you that it was worth the extra money for the ocean front room for me it was probably just as good at the serenity pool room. They are both decorated the same and the reason I agreed to the ocean front room is we were trying to get on of the corner rooms with a hot tub on the balcony. We were not able to get moved into one of these rooms as they were booked the entire time we were at the resort. It is a beautiful view of the ocean but after laying out at the beach for several hours we did not go out on the balcony much. Don't get me wrong it is very cool to have room service and eat your breakfast on the balcony while the waves roll in, which we did twice ,but with out the hot tub on the balcony I think I would have been just as happy at the serenity pool.

2. Check in could be a little bit more clean cut as our flight was delayed and when we arrived at the resort they immediately gave us cool towels and escorted us to the bar and asked us if we would like a drink. Could they have had the drink already made up for us in advance.... I guess so and they could have taken us to the clerk who was checking us in so that we could ask about a room upgrade. I will say that in the big picture this was a very small thing as I just walked over to the receptionist and asked her about an upgrade myself. In any event, we were in our room within ten minutes of stepping on the property!!

All in all this is the nicest all inclusive resort we have visited, by far. I read one of the other recent review from a person that reviews quite extensively and they complained that it took thirty minutes for them to be picked up by one of the golf carts and that some of the buildings need some paint or touch up. I will not disagree that the carts took 15 minutes one time to pick us up but this was one time out of 15 that we used them. You are usually picked up in less than 5 minutes by someone who is very responsive and courteous. I think a 15 minute wait for a hotel that is 90% booked would be considered exceptional by most people and especially if you have ever run your own business and dealt with the public!! In regards to the buildings and the repairs, if you never want to see someone painting or repairing something you need to go to Las Ventanas in Cabo and you will pay $1,000 per night plus $300 per day for a meal plan that includes two meals and no drinks. So when you break down the $550 per day you are paying here for everything included you can see what a value you are receiving!!

We have suggested this resort to three different sets of friends and everyone one of them has come back and said how great of a time they have had. In fact the whole group is getting together and booking 10 rooms in December!! Needless to say ignore all of the people that make it their job to complain about things and go enjoy this great resort!! One side note: we saw our Butler from two years ago,Trinidad, at the hotel as we were walking to dinner one evening and by the time we returned to our room he had ordered a hot bath with rose petals for us, even though he was not our butler or serving our building !! Very nice touch.....

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean front room with a hot tub on the balcony, do it!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations and for taking the time to write about your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are glad to know that your stay was wonderful and that you highlighted the friendly service from our staff, the delicious food and the general services, facilities and activities offered at the hotel.

We thank you for the feedback on your check in, your comments will be taken in consideration. Let us share with you that we are working on improving our check in to make it more personalized and efficient. Concerning the welcome drink, we invite our guests to have a beverage at our lobby in order for them to have their preferred drink, as opposed to one chosen by us. Please accept our apology for not offering you the possibility of an upgrade from the beginning. However it is very good to know that you liked your room and that you could enjoy your accommodations within minutes of your arrival.

Also thank you for pointing out the maintenance improvements, we always try to not disturb our guests while we have ongoing works.

Finally we are glad to read your comments about the nice touch of your butler; Trinidad will be happy to know that he was part of your great stay.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, once again thank you for sharing your review.

Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you like to relax, enjoy excellent food, great staff and an A+ in everything, then you'll need to go to this resort. This vacation has set the highest standard of any trip that I've been to. It's a must for all serious seekers of a quality and value vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we want to thank you for your delightful review.

We are glad to read that you were relaxed at our hotel, enjoyed our delicious food and specially the great service of our staff. Your review is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guests' high expectations.

We hope that you will return again soon so we can extend our usual warm welcome.

Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I traveled to the Grand back in April.

I do my fair share of research prior to booking our holidays,I've learned that you are pretty safe with the Grand Collection from Iberostar...that being said, it amazes me to no end when people find a reason to complain...yes there are some rocks in front of the hotel,yes you have to make diner reservations.

I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Building 72 next to tranquility pool was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for your loyalty towards our hotel; it is a great pleasure to read that you had a great time with us.

We keep working day after day to improve our service and pamper our guests so that they go back home renovated and energized.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!