“Great Stay at the Grand!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Houston, Texas
“Great Stay at the Grand!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have read extensively on this site about the different hotels to stay in this part of Mexico and for the second time in three years my wife and I returned to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We have traveled all over the world and this is the first time that we have chosen to return to the same resort that we had previously stayed at. We did this for one reason in that we knew some of the other resorts may be quite wonderful, as many people have an excellent experience in Mexico, but we knew what we were going to get when we booked this resort. I will list the pro's and con's of this resort below:

1. The level of service and professionalism from this staff is deserving of the five star rating. We never had one person state that they could not do something for us, whether it was change a tee time at the golf course, a reservation for dinner, a late check out time.... you name it they will do their best to help you.

2. The food is very good quality with everything being very fresh and a large selection for everyone to choose from on all of the menu's. We ate at the Surf and Turf, Japanese, lunch buffet, breakfast buffet and the Cajun restaurant. We did not have one bad meal or experience. When we came two years ago I would have rated the food a 6 out of 10 simply for the fact that the tastes were much different than we were used too. I would rate the food 9 out of 10 this year as the filet Mignon was perfectly cooked in the Surf and Turf restaurant as was the Salmon!! The Japanese Hibachi grill was great tasting as well as a great show by the Chef!! I could go on and on about how good the quality and taste of food was but it will bore you and many other people have already stated much about this!! Needless to say it is very good and there is something for everyone!!

2. The pool chairs and pool atmosphere is very inviting and at times very lively while at others very quiet. My wife and I are not big drinkers but will have a few mixed drinks throughout the day and we did not once feel like there was to much party going on around us. You are free to be as involved or reclusive as you would like, as with the food choices we were always met with a smile and a courteous "Hola" from all of the staff at he pool.

3. If you want to listen to the waves roll in at the beach it makes for a very quiet and relaxing time!! The towel game is played but it was never an issue to get a chair as there are plenty of them to go around. I accidentally let my kindle get wet on the first day of our vacation and from that point on I had the screen of death!! I used this kindle one morning to put on a chair by the beach for my wife who would be coming along in a little while. Long story short when we did get to the beach a few hours later the attendant came up to me and asked if that was my kindle and I told her it was and she stated how glad she was to see me as she had been making sure no one would take it!! It proved to us how closely they watch things and how protective they are of their guests!! We definitely appreciated these added touches of personal interaction from the staff. You will be called by your name by most of the staff after you are there for a day or two!! It always amazes us how they can remember two or three hundred peoples names?!!

4. The grounds are impeccable and they do a very good job of keeping things very tidy. There is some construction going on as they are laying concrete on the roof of the walkway which is not far from the pool. Not once did we notice that this was going on while we were at the pool or feel that it interrupted our trip.

5. The golf course is one of the nicest courses you will play. It is a course that they filmed Big Break Mexico and host a PGA event during the year. Needless to say if it were in the states you would need a tee time weeks in advance and be $300-$400 per round. One round is included with your stay and the clubs are $65 for Titlest AP1 set. The green are flawless and a beautiful place to play.

6. We used Cancun Valet for our airport transfer and they picked us up from the airport and took us to the hotel as well as taking us back to the airport on our return trip. We chose to pay an extra $20 and have our own van that did not stop at other resorts either coming or going and this made the trip take less than 30 minutes. Well worth the extra little bit of money as it saved us an hour bounding around the Mexico roads.

Cons:

1. We booked an ocean front room this time after having a serenity pool view room the previous time. My wife would probably tell you that it was worth the extra money for the ocean front room for me it was probably just as good at the serenity pool room. They are both decorated the same and the reason I agreed to the ocean front room is we were trying to get on of the corner rooms with a hot tub on the balcony. We were not able to get moved into one of these rooms as they were booked the entire time we were at the resort. It is a beautiful view of the ocean but after laying out at the beach for several hours we did not go out on the balcony much. Don't get me wrong it is very cool to have room service and eat your breakfast on the balcony while the waves roll in, which we did twice ,but with out the hot tub on the balcony I think I would have been just as happy at the serenity pool.

2. Check in could be a little bit more clean cut as our flight was delayed and when we arrived at the resort they immediately gave us cool towels and escorted us to the bar and asked us if we would like a drink. Could they have had the drink already made up for us in advance.... I guess so and they could have taken us to the clerk who was checking us in so that we could ask about a room upgrade. I will say that in the big picture this was a very small thing as I just walked over to the receptionist and asked her about an upgrade myself. In any event, we were in our room within ten minutes of stepping on the property!!

All in all this is the nicest all inclusive resort we have visited, by far. I read one of the other recent review from a person that reviews quite extensively and they complained that it took thirty minutes for them to be picked up by one of the golf carts and that some of the buildings need some paint or touch up. I will not disagree that the carts took 15 minutes one time to pick us up but this was one time out of 15 that we used them. You are usually picked up in less than 5 minutes by someone who is very responsive and courteous. I think a 15 minute wait for a hotel that is 90% booked would be considered exceptional by most people and especially if you have ever run your own business and dealt with the public!! In regards to the buildings and the repairs, if you never want to see someone painting or repairing something you need to go to Las Ventanas in Cabo and you will pay $1,000 per night plus $300 per day for a meal plan that includes two meals and no drinks. So when you break down the $550 per day you are paying here for everything included you can see what a value you are receiving!!

We have suggested this resort to three different sets of friends and everyone one of them has come back and said how great of a time they have had. In fact the whole group is getting together and booking 10 rooms in December!! Needless to say ignore all of the people that make it their job to complain about things and go enjoy this great resort!! One side note: we saw our Butler from two years ago,Trinidad, at the hotel as we were walking to dinner one evening and by the time we returned to our room he had ordered a hot bath with rose petals for us, even though he was not our butler or serving our building !! Very nice touch.....

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean front room with a hot tub on the balcony, do it!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations and for taking the time to write about your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are glad to know that your stay was wonderful and that you highlighted the friendly service from our staff, the delicious food and the general services, facilities and activities offered at the hotel.

We thank you for the feedback on your check in, your comments will be taken in consideration. Let us share with you that we are working on improving our check in to make it more personalized and efficient. Concerning the welcome drink, we invite our guests to have a beverage at our lobby in order for them to have their preferred drink, as opposed to one chosen by us. Please accept our apology for not offering you the possibility of an upgrade from the beginning. However it is very good to know that you liked your room and that you could enjoy your accommodations within minutes of your arrival.

Also thank you for pointing out the maintenance improvements, we always try to not disturb our guests while we have ongoing works.

Finally we are glad to read your comments about the nice touch of your butler; Trinidad will be happy to know that he was part of your great stay.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, once again thank you for sharing your review.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Polish first
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you like to relax, enjoy excellent food, great staff and an A+ in everything, then you'll need to go to this resort. This vacation has set the highest standard of any trip that I've been to. It's a must for all serious seekers of a quality and value vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we want to thank you for your delightful review.

We are glad to read that you were relaxed at our hotel, enjoyed our delicious food and specially the great service of our staff. Your review is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guests' high expectations.

We hope that you will return again soon so we can extend our usual warm welcome.

Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I traveled to the Grand back in April.

I do my fair share of research prior to booking our holidays,I've learned that you are pretty safe with the Grand Collection from Iberostar...that being said, it amazes me to no end when people find a reason to complain...yes there are some rocks in front of the hotel,yes you have to make diner reservations.

I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Building 72 next to tranquility pool was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for your loyalty towards our hotel; it is a great pleasure to read that you had a great time with us.

We keep working day after day to improve our service and pamper our guests so that they go back home renovated and energized.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Let me start off this review by saying that I have stayed at a few different all-inclusive luxury resorts in the Caribbean (Cancun & Jamaica) so I have a bit to compare to. The Grand is HUGE in size and as many of you, I looked to TripAdvisor reviews to help me make my final decision. Upon arrival we were greeted quickly with a cold towel and drinks. Check in was fast and Daniel was very funny. He gave us a brief run-down of where everything is but honestly, the maps don't help much you have to find through trial and error. The hotel was almost at capacity so our room was not ready until 3. Perfectly fine. We were pointed to a room where we could change into some beach clothing and head on our way. I am going to break down the review into sections so that you can better understand the different areas:

Beach - The beach was beautiful! There are plenty of huts for everyone. I will say that the waters are pretty rough but there were no red flags while we were there. You may order chips and salsa to your hut which is a very nice touch. Great place to take a nap during the day. The beach is only steps away from the buffet and pool, and there are showers to rinse off.

Pool - There 3 different pools. The indoor spa pool (located inside of the spa). Large space and nice warm water which was great given that it rained our last two days. The main pool is very large and is a salt water pool. There are two jacuzzis on each end and basketball courts on each end as well. There is a swim up bar what can seat about 9-10 people on the pool end and about 9 on the ground side. Lots of top shelf liquor available. Please do order the Kobe Burger at the pool bar you won't regret it. So many fun activities by the way, the StarFriends do an awesome job of keeping everything entertained and selecting games that are fun for everyone of all ages.

Room - The Room was perfect. We were in building 72 which I highly recommend. It is close to everything. We've had ocean front rooms previously and didn't feel the need to spend the extra money this time. The fridge was stocked, lots of pillows, and the bathroom was just the right size for the two of us!

Restaurants - You cannot go wrong with any of these restaurants! I've tried them all and I think that all of the previous reviewers pretty much covered everything about them. Our favorite was the Japanese and Tonis Surf and Turf. I highly recommend making your dinner reservations when you arrive or prior. The dress code is typical, long pants and collared shirts for mean.

Bars- We tried the cigar bar, Sports Bar, and Lobby Bar. All were fantastic to chat with others and watch some NHL or NBA games.

Service- Okay here is the part where I have to be very honest. This resort is beautiful with great amenities but they were completely understaffed. I do understand that they were almost at capacity, but there were just a lot that went noticed. I had to call over 4 times and get just a tad bit stern in my voice in order for them to come restock my fridge. What was frustrating was that the 3rd time I called, a young lady took down my requests and 2 hours later..I had to explain again to the next Concierge staff! This is something that should not have happened at a 5 star resort and I am not a picky person. Turn down service was so-so. Inconsistent. We did not get the rose petals and bubble bath set for us like some others. I don't mind, but I do think that maids should treat all rooms the same and we did tip! The pool and bar service was excellent so no worries there, however, the drinks...I am not sure again if this had to do with capacity but I am a very light weight drinker and I only remember feeling a bit "tipsy" ONE time the entire trip. That includes shots of Don Julio...Long Island Iced Teas...and Fruit drinks. Even when I let the bar staff know to add a little kick to it, the drinks still were very very weak! Very Disappointing especially having pre-paid for this all inclusive alcohol luxury. What was odd was that when I made my own drinks using the mini bottles in my room...that did the trick! With the same amount of alcohol? I would hope that this resort is NOT watering down their liquor or swapping out bottles if you know what I mean.

All in all I had a great time but I would not return to this resort unless it was only 50% full or more staff on hand. Please do experience it if its your first time!

Room Tip: The golf carts will take you anywhere at any time!
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for taking time to share with us your recent experience at our hotel. You could not describe better our facilities and the amazing resort that we have, certainly your suggestions and tips will help others visitors to know more about the hotel and to have a great experience.

We are so sorry to read that your experience with our concierge service did not meet your expectations. We apologize about your having to insist to receive a service, which should not happen. We would like to explain that we have ongoing training sessions and courses for our staff, to give you the excellent service that you deserve, and obviously your feedback helps us to identify areas we need to work on harder.

We offer the option of personalizing and programming the turn down service at the time of your convenience, so that we do not disturb you during your stay. The amenities like the rose petals and bubble baths are just a small gift to pamper our guests that are traveling for their anniversary or honeymoon, if you allow us to have the opportunity to visit us again to celebrate something special please do not hesitate to let us know and our staff can prepare a surprise for you.

We are very concerned to read about the issues you experienced with the liquor at the bars, we can assure you that we work with the highest quality standards, for that reason we have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager. You can be sure that we have taken this matter seriously.

We strive daily to ensure that the stay of all our guests is special and your review is a source of great motivation, thank you again for sharing it with us. All the family of IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel would be pleased if you could give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Paraiso Mexico for five days and we could have easily stayed five more days. The staff, service, food, and accommodations surpassed our expectations. Our personal concierge, Akim, made this experience truly special. He attended to all our needs with no hesitation and he never disappointed. The hotel adventure crew kept us active and were extremely accommodating. Thanks Andre! The food....lobster for lunch and dinner everyday, hand squeezed juice of exotic fruits and eggs made to order for breakfast, or room service 24hrs a day...even fast food taco and cheeseburger restaurants at the shopping center on the resort. All top shelf liquor and of course just about any tequila you can want. Pool cabanas are free, anyone can get one...and no kids at this resort :) I will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet and energy efficient.
Dear guest,

Since our guests are the most important component to create the big family that IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso is, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you in our hotel.

It is our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our main goal is to meet our guests’ expectations and to read that you even had such a nice time is a good sign that we are doing a good job.

Thank you so much for praising the work of our concierge and butler service, especially Akim, who will receive your review. Our team assist our guests with any special requirements including the customization of their minibar, the selection of their pillows from our menu and the arrangement of any preferable time for their room cleaning and turn down service. So, to know that you appreciated that service is very encouraging to our team.

Also, we are glad that you found the food and drinks delicious; our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience.

Thank you once again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Best Regards,

Buckeye, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary with some good friends and do not have a bad thing to say about the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso! The staff was always courteous and very professional. The grounds, rooms, pools, etc. were all very nice. The restaurants were really good and you never left anywhere hungry, even the buffet was excellent. Surprisingly, the very best restaurant for our group was the Italian restaurant, it blew us away, we could have been in Italy! The steakhouse was good, however, order the filet...the other steaks do not measure up and you could probably make a better one at home. That being said, the seafood which is what we were really there for was very good. There are other Iberostars on the property that you can go to, however, we always stayed at the Grand...the nice thing also is that although you can go to the other Iberostar hotels, their guests cannot go to the Grand as it is the premier hotel and of course the priciest. Drinks were great, Grey Goose, Don Julio...you name it....all included. Cannot say enough about this place, we had an excellent vacation!

Room Tip: We chose the ocean view but were upgraded to ocean front at check-in...ocean front is worth the extr...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on Trip Advisor, we appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you and celebrate with you your 10 year wedding anniversary.

We also appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team; no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: grounds, accommodations, gastronomy and beverage.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our Italian restaurant. On the other hand we will share your comments about our steak house restaurant with Executive Chef in order to consider improvements, because our main goal is to satisfy our guests' expectations in every aspect of their stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for another excellent vacation.

Warm Regards,

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed 6 days, 5 nights in May 2014 and had a wonderful experience. Our two rooms were delightfully appointed, the grounds and facilities were immaculate, food was good, and staff were wonderful.

All-in-all it was a fabulous experience and I'd love to go back.

In terms of the less-than-wonderful or things-I-wish-I'd known:
* Check-in took a long time. Never really knew why. Staff was attentive; we had the lovely welcome towels and drinks; few people in lobby. But it took 40 minutes to check in.
* We asked for a connecting room merely for convenience (us and two adult children). We were told at check in this WAS provided. But when we got to rooms, they were side by side but didn't connect with each. (Had connecting doors - but to other rooms.) Not a huge deal. We got a 3rd key to leave in each room.
* Tipping was confusing. Advance materials said gratuities were included. But once on site, that bullet was not on the list of all-inclusive features and it seemed like tipping was expected. We saw some people tipping, some not. One day at pool saw almost no one tipping at bar. Next day, bartenders had bills "discreetly" folded - but showing - under spill mats at each station. And most of the time, we didn't carry purses and wallets. It's not like a cruise where you have dedicated staff and can manage it all at the end. Lots of maids, bell boys, bulters, waiters, bar tenders, etc. So that part was awkward.
* My 20 year-old son was a little bored with adults-only, serene environment. He probably would have liked one of the livelier resorts better.
* We had expected a lot of water sports but weather was such that red flags every day. We still found plenty to do but ended up with beach vacation that involved almost no ocean activities.

Room Tip: Many past reviewers said it was worth it to spend the extra hundreds of dollars for "ocean view...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for giving us the pleasure of hosting you.

We appreciate your kind words about our rooms, food, beverages, service, grounds and specially our staff service.

Regarding your comments, we are very sorry for any inconvenience you suffered during your check in; our check-in time is 03:00 p.m. but we know that some of our guests' flights arrive before this hour so we make our utmost to get their rooms ready as soon as possible. We also feel sorry for the confusion about the connecting rooms, as you mentioned we do not have this kind of rooms, and we are happy to assign rooms side by side if our occupancy allow us.

We offer you a sincere apology if you felt pressured or obligated by our staff to give tips; as all the staff at IBEROSTAR are committed to giving a high standard and a personal service to ensure continuous customer satisfaction and tips are in no way necessary. Please let us assure you we will go over this with each Department Manager and corrective actions will be taken.

Concerning entertainment, we will make sure the Entertainment Department receives your feedback, to keep looking for improvements.

Once again thank you for your constructive review, on behalf of all our team we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!