I have read extensively on this site about the different hotels to stay in this part of Mexico and for the second time in three years my wife and I returned to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We have traveled all over the world and this is the first time that we have chosen to return to the same resort that we had previously stayed at. We did this for one reason in that we knew some of the other resorts may be quite wonderful, as many people have an excellent experience in Mexico, but we knew what we were going to get when we booked this resort. I will list the pro's and con's of this resort below:
1. The level of service and professionalism from this staff is deserving of the five star rating. We never had one person state that they could not do something for us, whether it was change a tee time at the golf course, a reservation for dinner, a late check out time.... you name it they will do their best to help you.
2. The food is very good quality with everything being very fresh and a large selection for everyone to choose from on all of the menu's. We ate at the Surf and Turf, Japanese, lunch buffet, breakfast buffet and the Cajun restaurant. We did not have one bad meal or experience. When we came two years ago I would have rated the food a 6 out of 10 simply for the fact that the tastes were much different than we were used too. I would rate the food 9 out of 10 this year as the filet Mignon was perfectly cooked in the Surf and Turf restaurant as was the Salmon!! The Japanese Hibachi grill was great tasting as well as a great show by the Chef!! I could go on and on about how good the quality and taste of food was but it will bore you and many other people have already stated much about this!! Needless to say it is very good and there is something for everyone!!
2. The pool chairs and pool atmosphere is very inviting and at times very lively while at others very quiet. My wife and I are not big drinkers but will have a few mixed drinks throughout the day and we did not once feel like there was to much party going on around us. You are free to be as involved or reclusive as you would like, as with the food choices we were always met with a smile and a courteous "Hola" from all of the staff at he pool.
3. If you want to listen to the waves roll in at the beach it makes for a very quiet and relaxing time!! The towel game is played but it was never an issue to get a chair as there are plenty of them to go around. I accidentally let my kindle get wet on the first day of our vacation and from that point on I had the screen of death!! I used this kindle one morning to put on a chair by the beach for my wife who would be coming along in a little while. Long story short when we did get to the beach a few hours later the attendant came up to me and asked if that was my kindle and I told her it was and she stated how glad she was to see me as she had been making sure no one would take it!! It proved to us how closely they watch things and how protective they are of their guests!! We definitely appreciated these added touches of personal interaction from the staff. You will be called by your name by most of the staff after you are there for a day or two!! It always amazes us how they can remember two or three hundred peoples names?!!
4. The grounds are impeccable and they do a very good job of keeping things very tidy. There is some construction going on as they are laying concrete on the roof of the walkway which is not far from the pool. Not once did we notice that this was going on while we were at the pool or feel that it interrupted our trip.
5. The golf course is one of the nicest courses you will play. It is a course that they filmed Big Break Mexico and host a PGA event during the year. Needless to say if it were in the states you would need a tee time weeks in advance and be $300-$400 per round. One round is included with your stay and the clubs are $65 for Titlest AP1 set. The green are flawless and a beautiful place to play.
6. We used Cancun Valet for our airport transfer and they picked us up from the airport and took us to the hotel as well as taking us back to the airport on our return trip. We chose to pay an extra $20 and have our own van that did not stop at other resorts either coming or going and this made the trip take less than 30 minutes. Well worth the extra little bit of money as it saved us an hour bounding around the Mexico roads.
1. We booked an ocean front room this time after having a serenity pool view room the previous time. My wife would probably tell you that it was worth the extra money for the ocean front room for me it was probably just as good at the serenity pool room. They are both decorated the same and the reason I agreed to the ocean front room is we were trying to get on of the corner rooms with a hot tub on the balcony. We were not able to get moved into one of these rooms as they were booked the entire time we were at the resort. It is a beautiful view of the ocean but after laying out at the beach for several hours we did not go out on the balcony much. Don't get me wrong it is very cool to have room service and eat your breakfast on the balcony while the waves roll in, which we did twice ,but with out the hot tub on the balcony I think I would have been just as happy at the serenity pool.
2. Check in could be a little bit more clean cut as our flight was delayed and when we arrived at the resort they immediately gave us cool towels and escorted us to the bar and asked us if we would like a drink. Could they have had the drink already made up for us in advance.... I guess so and they could have taken us to the clerk who was checking us in so that we could ask about a room upgrade. I will say that in the big picture this was a very small thing as I just walked over to the receptionist and asked her about an upgrade myself. In any event, we were in our room within ten minutes of stepping on the property!!
All in all this is the nicest all inclusive resort we have visited, by far. I read one of the other recent review from a person that reviews quite extensively and they complained that it took thirty minutes for them to be picked up by one of the golf carts and that some of the buildings need some paint or touch up. I will not disagree that the carts took 15 minutes one time to pick us up but this was one time out of 15 that we used them. You are usually picked up in less than 5 minutes by someone who is very responsive and courteous. I think a 15 minute wait for a hotel that is 90% booked would be considered exceptional by most people and especially if you have ever run your own business and dealt with the public!! In regards to the buildings and the repairs, if you never want to see someone painting or repairing something you need to go to Las Ventanas in Cabo and you will pay $1,000 per night plus $300 per day for a meal plan that includes two meals and no drinks. So when you break down the $550 per day you are paying here for everything included you can see what a value you are receiving!!
We have suggested this resort to three different sets of friends and everyone one of them has come back and said how great of a time they have had. In fact the whole group is getting together and booking 10 rooms in December!! Needless to say ignore all of the people that make it their job to complain about things and go enjoy this great resort!! One side note: we saw our Butler from two years ago,Trinidad, at the hotel as we were walking to dinner one evening and by the time we returned to our room he had ordered a hot bath with rose petals for us, even though he was not our butler or serving our building !! Very nice touch.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Directly on the long, fine, sandy beach of Playa Paraiso in Mexico's Riviera Maya. Top 5-star luxury. Quiet and relaxing. Personal butler and concierge service. 24 hours all inclusive service. 4 a la carte restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa Paraiso
- Playa Paraiso Iberostar
- Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico