“Wonderful but not 5 stars!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful but not 5 stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Let me start off this review by saying that I have stayed at a few different all-inclusive luxury resorts in the Caribbean (Cancun & Jamaica) so I have a bit to compare to. The Grand is HUGE in size and as many of you, I looked to TripAdvisor reviews to help me make my final decision. Upon arrival we were greeted quickly with a cold towel and drinks. Check in was fast and Daniel was very funny. He gave us a brief run-down of where everything is but honestly, the maps don't help much you have to find through trial and error. The hotel was almost at capacity so our room was not ready until 3. Perfectly fine. We were pointed to a room where we could change into some beach clothing and head on our way. I am going to break down the review into sections so that you can better understand the different areas:

Beach - The beach was beautiful! There are plenty of huts for everyone. I will say that the waters are pretty rough but there were no red flags while we were there. You may order chips and salsa to your hut which is a very nice touch. Great place to take a nap during the day. The beach is only steps away from the buffet and pool, and there are showers to rinse off.

Pool - There 3 different pools. The indoor spa pool (located inside of the spa). Large space and nice warm water which was great given that it rained our last two days. The main pool is very large and is a salt water pool. There are two jacuzzis on each end and basketball courts on each end as well. There is a swim up bar what can seat about 9-10 people on the pool end and about 9 on the ground side. Lots of top shelf liquor available. Please do order the Kobe Burger at the pool bar you won't regret it. So many fun activities by the way, the StarFriends do an awesome job of keeping everything entertained and selecting games that are fun for everyone of all ages.

Room - The Room was perfect. We were in building 72 which I highly recommend. It is close to everything. We've had ocean front rooms previously and didn't feel the need to spend the extra money this time. The fridge was stocked, lots of pillows, and the bathroom was just the right size for the two of us!

Restaurants - You cannot go wrong with any of these restaurants! I've tried them all and I think that all of the previous reviewers pretty much covered everything about them. Our favorite was the Japanese and Tonis Surf and Turf. I highly recommend making your dinner reservations when you arrive or prior. The dress code is typical, long pants and collared shirts for mean.

Bars- We tried the cigar bar, Sports Bar, and Lobby Bar. All were fantastic to chat with others and watch some NHL or NBA games.

Service- Okay here is the part where I have to be very honest. This resort is beautiful with great amenities but they were completely understaffed. I do understand that they were almost at capacity, but there were just a lot that went noticed. I had to call over 4 times and get just a tad bit stern in my voice in order for them to come restock my fridge. What was frustrating was that the 3rd time I called, a young lady took down my requests and 2 hours later..I had to explain again to the next Concierge staff! This is something that should not have happened at a 5 star resort and I am not a picky person. Turn down service was so-so. Inconsistent. We did not get the rose petals and bubble bath set for us like some others. I don't mind, but I do think that maids should treat all rooms the same and we did tip! The pool and bar service was excellent so no worries there, however, the drinks...I am not sure again if this had to do with capacity but I am a very light weight drinker and I only remember feeling a bit "tipsy" ONE time the entire trip. That includes shots of Don Julio...Long Island Iced Teas...and Fruit drinks. Even when I let the bar staff know to add a little kick to it, the drinks still were very very weak! Very Disappointing especially having pre-paid for this all inclusive alcohol luxury. What was odd was that when I made my own drinks using the mini bottles in my room...that did the trick! With the same amount of alcohol? I would hope that this resort is NOT watering down their liquor or swapping out bottles if you know what I mean.

All in all I had a great time but I would not return to this resort unless it was only 50% full or more staff on hand. Please do experience it if its your first time!

Room Tip: The golf carts will take you anywhere at any time!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for taking time to share with us your recent experience at our hotel. You could not describe better our facilities and the amazing resort that we have, certainly your suggestions and tips will help others visitors to know more about the hotel and to have a great experience.

We are so sorry to read that your experience with our concierge service did not meet your expectations. We apologize about your having to insist to receive a service, which should not happen. We would like to explain that we have ongoing training sessions and courses for our staff, to give you the excellent service that you deserve, and obviously your feedback helps us to identify areas we need to work on harder.

We offer the option of personalizing and programming the turn down service at the time of your convenience, so that we do not disturb you during your stay. The amenities like the rose petals and bubble baths are just a small gift to pamper our guests that are traveling for their anniversary or honeymoon, if you allow us to have the opportunity to visit us again to celebrate something special please do not hesitate to let us know and our staff can prepare a surprise for you.

We are very concerned to read about the issues you experienced with the liquor at the bars, we can assure you that we work with the highest quality standards, for that reason we have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager. You can be sure that we have taken this matter seriously.

We strive daily to ensure that the stay of all our guests is special and your review is a source of great motivation, thank you again for sharing it with us. All the family of IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel would be pleased if you could give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Paraiso Mexico for five days and we could have easily stayed five more days. The staff, service, food, and accommodations surpassed our expectations. Our personal concierge, Akim, made this experience truly special. He attended to all our needs with no hesitation and he never disappointed. The hotel adventure crew kept us active and were extremely accommodating. Thanks Andre! The food....lobster for lunch and dinner everyday, hand squeezed juice of exotic fruits and eggs made to order for breakfast, or room service 24hrs a day...even fast food taco and cheeseburger restaurants at the shopping center on the resort. All top shelf liquor and of course just about any tequila you can want. Pool cabanas are free, anyone can get one...and no kids at this resort :) I will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet and energy efficient.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Since our guests are the most important component to create the big family that IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso is, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you in our hotel.

It is our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our main goal is to meet our guests’ expectations and to read that you even had such a nice time is a good sign that we are doing a good job.

Thank you so much for praising the work of our concierge and butler service, especially Akim, who will receive your review. Our team assist our guests with any special requirements including the customization of their minibar, the selection of their pillows from our menu and the arrangement of any preferable time for their room cleaning and turn down service. So, to know that you appreciated that service is very encouraging to our team.

Also, we are glad that you found the food and drinks delicious; our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience.

Thank you once again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Best Regards,

Buckeye, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary with some good friends and do not have a bad thing to say about the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso! The staff was always courteous and very professional. The grounds, rooms, pools, etc. were all very nice. The restaurants were really good and you never left anywhere hungry, even the buffet was excellent. Surprisingly, the very best restaurant for our group was the Italian restaurant, it blew us away, we could have been in Italy! The steakhouse was good, however, order the filet...the other steaks do not measure up and you could probably make a better one at home. That being said, the seafood which is what we were really there for was very good. There are other Iberostars on the property that you can go to, however, we always stayed at the Grand...the nice thing also is that although you can go to the other Iberostar hotels, their guests cannot go to the Grand as it is the premier hotel and of course the priciest. Drinks were great, Grey Goose, Don Julio...you name it....all included. Cannot say enough about this place, we had an excellent vacation!

Room Tip: We chose the ocean view but were upgraded to ocean front at check-in...ocean front is worth the extr...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on Trip Advisor, we appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you and celebrate with you your 10 year wedding anniversary.

We also appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team; no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: grounds, accommodations, gastronomy and beverage.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our Italian restaurant. On the other hand we will share your comments about our steak house restaurant with Executive Chef in order to consider improvements, because our main goal is to satisfy our guests' expectations in every aspect of their stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for another excellent vacation.

Warm Regards,

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed 6 days, 5 nights in May 2014 and had a wonderful experience. Our two rooms were delightfully appointed, the grounds and facilities were immaculate, food was good, and staff were wonderful.

All-in-all it was a fabulous experience and I'd love to go back.

In terms of the less-than-wonderful or things-I-wish-I'd known:
* Check-in took a long time. Never really knew why. Staff was attentive; we had the lovely welcome towels and drinks; few people in lobby. But it took 40 minutes to check in.
* We asked for a connecting room merely for convenience (us and two adult children). We were told at check in this WAS provided. But when we got to rooms, they were side by side but didn't connect with each. (Had connecting doors - but to other rooms.) Not a huge deal. We got a 3rd key to leave in each room.
* Tipping was confusing. Advance materials said gratuities were included. But once on site, that bullet was not on the list of all-inclusive features and it seemed like tipping was expected. We saw some people tipping, some not. One day at pool saw almost no one tipping at bar. Next day, bartenders had bills "discreetly" folded - but showing - under spill mats at each station. And most of the time, we didn't carry purses and wallets. It's not like a cruise where you have dedicated staff and can manage it all at the end. Lots of maids, bell boys, bulters, waiters, bar tenders, etc. So that part was awkward.
* My 20 year-old son was a little bored with adults-only, serene environment. He probably would have liked one of the livelier resorts better.
* We had expected a lot of water sports but weather was such that red flags every day. We still found plenty to do but ended up with beach vacation that involved almost no ocean activities.

Room Tip: Many past reviewers said it was worth it to spend the extra hundreds of dollars for "ocean view...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for giving us the pleasure of hosting you.

We appreciate your kind words about our rooms, food, beverages, service, grounds and specially our staff service.

Regarding your comments, we are very sorry for any inconvenience you suffered during your check in; our check-in time is 03:00 p.m. but we know that some of our guests' flights arrive before this hour so we make our utmost to get their rooms ready as soon as possible. We also feel sorry for the confusion about the connecting rooms, as you mentioned we do not have this kind of rooms, and we are happy to assign rooms side by side if our occupancy allow us.

We offer you a sincere apology if you felt pressured or obligated by our staff to give tips; as all the staff at IBEROSTAR are committed to giving a high standard and a personal service to ensure continuous customer satisfaction and tips are in no way necessary. Please let us assure you we will go over this with each Department Manager and corrective actions will be taken.

Concerning entertainment, we will make sure the Entertainment Department receives your feedback, to keep looking for improvements.

Once again thank you for your constructive review, on behalf of all our team we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Williamstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I use trip advisor to help me determine where I stay when I travel. Usually when we stay in Mexico we stay at Excellence PM Resort which is fantastic! Due to the review of being the number one resort we certainly wanted to give the Grand a try. My husband and I were expecting so much more. We arrived at 11:00 and basically were told not to come back to 3:00 to get our room keys. No champagne with in room check in like the website suggests. We booked an ocean front room which had a wonderful view, breathless. However we found the resort to be weathered, many areas of needing an update as well as maintenance repairs. The bathroom was old with a small shower, no shelf to place shampoo, etc. Two small sink areas as well as a dusty old Jacuzzi. The mini bar was stocked however the temperature was almost room temp with no ability to adjust it and we never drank anything other than water because of it being too hot for our taste. During our stay they were jackhammering concrete pads for removal the entire day, replacing the concrete on the overhead canopies until nightfall. While I understand they need to do maintenance but listening to it all day was not the relaxing quiet we expected on our vacation. The restaurants were not five star, nor was the service. Considering this to be a five star resort I certainly should have had better service everywhere especially at the restaurants. The buffet was limited, food was usually cold and quite frankly not good. Night entertainment was limited but at least there was some. Lobby area and bar are so old and outdated with limited alcohol. I could not believe I could not get a Mango Martini - never been to Mexico and told before that they have no Mango??? I also found that out of all the Iberostar hotels and the extra money to stay at the Grand it was extremely annoying that I had to call for a golf cart to go over to the Maya resort to be picked up whenever we went on an excursion. While this should not have been a big deal but when it takes over 30 minutes to be picked up from one of the resorts that is actually three minutes away I find that absolutely disgraceful customer service. Overall we were extremely disappointed, expecting so much more based on our fellow reviewers comments. This resort was extremely understaffed, old and not a good value. I was even more disappointed upon check out that we were never asked how our stay was, never told thank you for choosing the resort or a mention of hoping that we would return again. Excellence resorts has so much more to offer with 9 restaurants, impeccable service, newer facilities and at a better rate.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better views on ocean front buildings.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, we are glad to know you enjoyed your room and the breathtaking view of our marvelous beaches.

On the other hand we are sorry to learn we could not go beyond your expectations. We would like to clarify that our check-in time is at 3:00 p.m, and we can assure you that if availability allows it, we do our best to give you the room before that time. However, it seems that our welcome to you was not up to the level of excellence you should have received, and we apologize profusely about that.

In reference to the maintenance of our resort, we would also like to mention that we are constantly working on areas to be improved, and we are sorry to know that this work affected you during your stay and did not give you the opportunity to relax. Please note that we have passed your feedback on to Management and our Maintenance Department to see how those works can be made without disturbing our guests.

Concerning the points you have highlighted about our gastronomy, please let us inform you that we have forwarded your review to our Executive Chef to take your suggestions in consideration. He continuously strives to offer the best quality and our guests' comments are the best source to know if we are going on the right track. We will continue working to deliver the best.

We are sorry to hear we could not achieve your wishes with your preferred drink. Our team always do their best to personalize drinks for our guests, so we have failed you on this, and will review it with our Food & Beverage Manager.

Regarding the rides from another hotel, we are terribly sorry about this. All the lobbies have a bell man service and when a guest requests a ride, we send our bellboys to pick them up immediately. So this should not have happened and it will also be looked into with our team.

We are very sorry about disappointing you on your stay. We work hard to offer a service of excellence, and will start working on the issues you presented immediately, to ensure our guests receive the service they deserve from a top hotel like the Grand.

We look forward to welcoming you back to show you our improvements.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Paraiso Mexico, Unfortunately I was taken ill whilst I was away and ended up staying for 5 weeks. The management team led by the impressive Mr Carmona could not have done more to help, they arranged all emergency care and supported my wife throughout. After my return to the hotel from hospital the care and attention for the next 3 weeks was absolutely excellent. The kindness and consideration to details was well beyond what anyone could expect.
The hotel its self is stunning and the grounds immaculate, the food could not be better. Having stayed at a few hotels rated as the best in the in the world I would place Grand Paraiso amongst them.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review regarding your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is a great pleasure to read that we have been able to provide you with everything you need during your stay and that you went home with such great memories.

We would also like to thank you for your nice words about our staff; it is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours.

Likewise we are pleased to read that you liked the grounds, the beauty and luxury of our hotel and the gastronomy.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments and for considering us one of the best hotels in the world, we look forward to receiving your visit soon at your home away from home.

Medford, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from 5 days at the Grand and it couldn't have been better. The facilities were perfect and the staff, especially Isreal, Arturro, Erick and Ricardo were so accommodating. The food was outstanding even in the buffets. This was our first time and we will definately be back. I recommend a trip to Tulum which takes about a half a day, and a stroll down Fifth Avenue. We ate at Los Carboncitos and that too gets 5 stars. Although you do not have to leave the grounds to have a wonderful time since you have a choice of 2 pools and the ocean, Fifth Avenue is a must.

Stayed May 2014
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your recent holidays in Mexico.

We have the commitment to make each of our guests’ visits amazing, so to read that we reached our goal during your stay and that you think that you were in the paradise really makes us feel happy. We are glad to know that our staff was part of your wellbeing; we will congratulate Israel, Arturo, Erick and Ricardo.

Furthermore we appreciate the mention of our gastronomy; this is one of our prime pillars, so it is good to hear that you enjoyed it.

Also it is great to hear that you had the opportunity to see some new places in our surroundings.

Thank you once again for your visit and for taking the time to write your nice review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!