“beautiful, spotless, relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Tampa, Florida
“beautiful, spotless, relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

What a fun and relaxing time we had at this resort. The staff was amazing...so helpful and friendly. The room was beautiful...we were right on the beach...I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to stay here. The food (from delicious to meh) and the yoga (completely inexperienced teacher) were my least favorite parts...but not enough to keep me from coming back!

Oh, and the beach massage by Sara was fantastic!! Expensive, but worth every penny!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We feel honored by your compliments; especially the ones on the amazing friendly and helpful staff and the beautiful room with the beautiful sea view.

We are sorry all our food offerings were not of your liking. We are constantly working to provide an excellent service and we have taken note of your comments in order to work on opportunity areas.

We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with the yoga teacher and will definitely share your feedback with the Entertainment Manager.

We are thrilled to read that you would love to come back; it will be our pleasure to serve you and make your second stay even better than the first.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Polish first
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was our second stay here and we have also stayed at the Grand in Jamaica, so this was our 3rd trip to the Grand brand. We were with a first time couple, another 3rd time couple and a 4th time couple. We chose the IGP because the service has always been amazing and as Jeanie51 stated in a previous review, you "felt like somebody" while staying at Grand. I really hate to write this review, because I love this brand, but I think it is necessary because not only did all of us feel this way, we met other couples there that had been several times and they felt the same.

HIT:
First off, the resort is still immaculate. There is always someone painting, weeding, picking up trash, etc...
I will also add that the food has improved ten fold since our last visit, so I am glad to see management are reading the reviews.
Butler staff was very prompt the one time we need something. (extra water and clothes hangers)

MISSES:
Most of this will sound trivial or petty, but when you are accustomed to a certain level of service with this brand, you expect it to be consistent.

-No welcome drink waiting for us. We were lead over to the bar to get a drink ourselves.
-Check in seemed very disorganized
-Room request that was made 4 months prior by one couple was met with resistance. I have never heard an employee say "no" before, but they did. After some fuss, the room was available...why even put someone through that?
-Cockroach in 2 of the rooms
-Loss of power several times throughout the week. When one couple asked about it they looked at them like they were crazy. So, the staff went into the room and turned on every light...??? Why?
-one couple was without air one night
-no coffee maker in one of the rooms
-no iron in one of the rooms
-ice bucket in only 2 of the 4 rooms
-took several calls to get things to some of the rooms (basic things like water)
-room service messed up 2 out of 3 times
-an actual pile of feces from one of the animals on the grounds was on our balcony all week....no idea how long it was there, didn't investigate it that close.
-maids put toilet paper on back of toilet not in the holder
-housekeeping was marginal compared to the last couple times. I just don't understand how you can check someone into a room and not have a coffee maker. I understand if there are no mugs because people take those home, but still, don't you think a standard checklist should be followed?
-24 hour butler service didn't answer phone
-waited forever to get drinks at any of the restaurants. We, like jeanie51, started taking drinks with us to lunch
-Star Friends were not as friendly. We found out that some have been working almost 2 straight weeks with no days off.
- I think this is a classic case of being overbooked and understaffed. None of the return couples have ever seen this resort as busy as it was. Although I understand the business side of filling the hotel, this is no excuse to cut corners
-Now by biggest complaint, very petty, but its the little things that make your stay memorable. As a first time guest 2 years ago, things like towel animals, rose petals in the room, drawn bath etc....would await us every night we came back to the room.....very nice touch. Last year when we were in Jamaica, we were given a welcome back and thank you bottle of champagne AND a random knock on the door one night with a chocolate surprise from a smiling young lady that said "welcome back to Iberostar, we appreciate you choosing us again." We also got the towel animals, rose petals etc...each night. Now as a 3rd time guest, we couldn't even imagine what was in store for us. Well, no towel animals, rose petals, drawn bath, chocolates......NOTHING except a letter for 10% off in the gift store but with exclusions....really? Here's the kicker....the 4th time couple didn't even get a letter. Where did the consistency go?

Overall, our vacation was still nice, but it was not the vacation "experience" we have experienced in the past with this brand. As a return guest I was very disappointed. If I were a first time guest not knowing any better, I probably would give it a higher rating and chalk these things up as "well, what do you expect these days". But as return guests, I can tell you that this was mine and several couples last trip to the Iberostar brand. I really do hate saying that, because I liked the brand, but with so much inconsistency we, as well as others we talked to experienced, we don't want to chance it again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Since our guests are the most important component to create the big family that IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso is, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you in our hotel again, we really appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and chain, your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other properties.

We appreciate your kind words pertaining our rooms and butler service, and it is wonderful to see that were able to try the improved food offerings and recipes; for sure we will pass your kind words on to our Executive Chef.

We would like to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with some of our services. We are sorry to hear that you felt that the quality of services had declined, we wish to assure you that our service standards are very important to us and hence worked upon each and every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain our position as a leading luxury property.

Regarding the welcoming drink service, we would like to apologize about this mishap. Your comments have been duly noted and each point has been thoroughly discussed with the concerned departments. Concerning the check in and room assignment we are extremely concerned to hear that we were not able to give you the fantastic welcome we would have wished. Please let us explain that our Front Desk team always take note of our guests' requests and do their best to grant them, however, they depend on availability upon check-in, and when occupancy is high, sometimes it is not possible to accommodate. Due to the size and the layout of our hotel, it gives the impression of being emptier than it really is, but our occupancy has actually been close to 100%.

We apologize about the errors made. Certainly the aim of our correspondence today is not to find excuses but rather apologize and take actions based on your comments. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to all the department heads concerned in order to review our procedures, and we are working on creating an efficient information system among our sister resorts around the world and within our resort among the different departments, so that all departments work in unison to pamper our guests as they deserve.

Once again, we truly apologize about not meeting your expectations this time, and we hope you give us the opportunity to be your hosts again the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,

Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

I won't expound on all the great services, food, or grounds as others have done a great job of that. My wife and I really enjoyed our week there although at times it felt a bit lonely as the hotel was only at about 65% capacity so things were very quiet, especially at night. This was probably in part due to the exorbitant cost. But all-in-all a great week highlighted by the outstanding singers and entertainment presented each night in the Theater.

But we both felt that a return any time soon would feel very same-y given the quiet, and somewhat limit evening offerings.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for sharing your opinion.

Thank you for your positive feedback, despite the issues mentioned. Our only intention is to recover your trust. We would like to mention that every time our guests present their concerns while vacationing with us, corrective actions are taken to ensure an immediate and appropriate solution.

We hope that you will visit us again to see the changes we continuously make and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to make your next holiday unforgettable and better.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was awarded a trip to the Grand Hotel Paraiso from my workplace. The experience was fantastic! Great hotel, lovely rooms & I cannot say enough about the staff, especially Jessica & Amira in Bldg. 71!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We feel much honored that you really enjoyed your stay in here and that you had an amazing vacation experience.

Regarding you compliments about the beautiful rooms and the helpful and friendly staff, we feel very pleased. Your words about Jessica and Amira are really appreciated; it is always motivating to receive these kinds of comments.

Once again thank you for writing a review about your stay; it will be our pleasure to welcoming you back.

Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Let me start of this reviewing by saying that my last two all inclusive stays have been at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana (IGB), so my review will be reflective of the expectations I had of the Iberostar Grand Pariaso upon booking. My husband and I booked this hotel because we absolutely LOVED the IGB- the service there was amazing and we "felt like somebody" while there; so we expected the same at the IGP. Our stay was from April 29 - May 6th.

First off, the resort is stunning! Absolutely beautiful. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the serenity pool, which was a great location. I loved the his and her sinks on opposite sides of the bathroom...made getting ready for dinner very easy!

The food was anywhere from good to great. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and the grill for lunch. We did eat at the steakhouse twice. The first experience was phenomenal. Juan was our server the first time at the steakhouse and he was great! We ate there again a few days later and the food was good, although our order was messed up and we were missing items we ordered, even after requesting them several times. We also ate the japanese restaurant and that was EXCELLENT! We missed our reservation time, but the staff was kind enough to let us still come in for dinner and sit at the sushi bar. We really enjoyed that.

We picked this resort because we thought the service would be outstanding, however the service was very inconsistent and lacking (especially during breakfast and lunch). We would wait an extensive amount of time for water/coffee/drinks at breakfast and lunch. So much so, that I began to bring water bottles down from our room so I could refill our glasses. At a 5 star resort, that should never have to happen. I noticed that the servers were not only getting the drinks, but also having to clear the tables and reset the tables; which may be the reason the service was slow. But, I do want to recognize Mauricio, who was our server one day at lunch and he provided excellent service.

The pool side service at the serenity pool was EXCELLENT. Mirna took great care of us during the day and we were never without a drink in our hand while at the Serenity pool.

The pool side service at the main pool was terrible. We had lounge chairs on the opposite side of the swim up bar and the waitress only came by once in the 2 hours we sat there! It appeared that there was only one server and by the time she would get part way around the pool, she would have to go back to the bar to fulfill the orders she had taken and never seemed to make it back to where we were sitting. Disappointing.

The lounge chairs at the main pool are excellent and comfortable. The lounge chairs at the serenity pool are terrible. They are hard plastic with a cushion that will not stay in place. I would imagine the resort will be replacing them soon with the ones similar to the ones by the main pool. If they are not, they should.

We did see 2 shows while we were there and they were enjoyable (we saw the Rock show and the 70's music one).

I understand the resort was at 100% capacity, which may account for the poor service at times. I spoke with another couple we met while there and they stated they stayed at the IGP last year and said the service was much better then.

Overall, our vacation was still very nice, but it was not the vacation "experience" we were looking to have. Being that this a 5 star hotel, I only gave them 3 stars because of the lack of service, which to me is a high expectation when paying top dollar for a resort.

And we did tip throughout the entire stay, regardless of service. Every meal and every drink, so I know that was not the issue with the service.

A recommendation to the resort: Place tasteful looking bins or cubby areas where patrons can place their items if they want to stay in the pool, but not take up a lounger or cabana bed. When my husband and I arrived at the Serenity pool one day, there were no chairs/cabanas available. We still went into the hot tub and placed our 2 hotel issued towels and black beach bag next to the pool. Shortly after, a staff member asked us to move the bags to a cabana and that "there is one open now". Understandably the resort doesn't want the pool area to look cluttered. However, I felt bad taking up a whole cabana just to place my towels and beach bag on, but did not plan on using. If there was a type of bin (maybe near the bathrooms), I would of gladly placed my stuff in there and allowed the cabana to stay open for someone to use. Just a thought.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your loyalty and trust in IBEROSTAR and for the suggestions you brought up to our attention in order to enhance our guests’ experience; your well-being and entire satisfaction are our primary goals therefore we highly value the time you spent to share a feedback on your latest stay at our resort.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our beautiful installations as well as our bathroom design and the entire room.

It is great to read that your first experience at our Surf & Turf restaurant was great, and that our food met your expectations. Moreover, we apologize for the waits at breakfast and lunch time; we are making our best to confront this situation and taking note of all your comments so we can speed up the buffet.

On the other hand, we thank you for pointing out the kindness of our staff, we are thrilled to know that the members of our team were part of your wellbeing; we will share your review with them.

Regarding your comments about the lounge chairs; we have read all our guests’ feedbacks and took actions about this. We have invested in new ones that are better (expecting to receive them in the coming months); also in cushions that are more comfortable as the ones you tried at our main pool.

Also we are looking for an option to give our guests someplace for leaving their belongings at the pool area. Your thoughts are very important for us so we really appreciate the fact that you shared them with us.

Finally we liked to read that you enjoyed our shows; entertainment is one of the main pillars of our organization.

Once again, thank you for your time and useful tips to enhance our guests’ overall experience. We hope that you had a pleasant journey back home. We are sorry if you did not have the stay you expect for, but we really look forward to welcoming you back and change your thoughts about our resort.

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Grand. We went with two other couples. It is first class all the way. We read dozens and dozens of reviews before we selected the Grand, and we were not disappointed in our choice. You really have to look hard to complain about something at this hotel.

This is not the Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton--and our group has stayed at plenty of those. It is a Mexican All-Inclusive that is tremendous. I have panned some great hotels--Fairmont in Bermuda and the Palace in SF. I am shocked someone is panning this place.

One example of service. I was lost in a book...finishing the last 50 pages. I left my room to sit in a breezy location. I stopped at a couch and eventually laid on the couch. My head was resting on the hard edge of the couch. A staff person noticed this and came over with a pillow and put it under my head! Are you kidding? The service doesn't get much better.

Restaurants: My expectations were low, even though most of the reviews were good. The food far exceeded our expectations. The variety was great, quality excellent and the service unparalled. We went to two buffet nights, Japanese, Surf and Turf, Gourmet and the new Mexican restaurant. ALL were great and different. They did attempt to upgrade our wine at the Surf and Turf. We bought a couple of expensive bottles and then went back to the house wine. The upgrades were just not worth the extra. The steak is the best I have had in Mexico. It is not Morton's or Chop House...but this is Mexico, not Texas or Chicago. Don't go for the steaks. We are not usually a buffet couple, but the Grand was great. The variety, quality and freshness were all very good. At the international night buffet, you get a sampling from all of the restaurants.

Facilities: Constantly being maintained, painted, repaired. They really take care of the place. I was impressed with the safety focus of the staff--eye and ear protection, weight belts and all uniformed. It is a phenominal facility. The quality of features, public bathrooms, artifacts, tile, marble, statues...amazing.

Pool Areas: We did both pools. I don't know what the chap from England was thinking when he signed up for an all-inclusive. The crowd at the pool bar was very professional, not loud, music was quite muted and the noise level was very acceptable--maybe we were the ones making the noise! The tranquility pool was nice, but like a library. Just wasn't our style. We went there only for one morning. The large, salt water pool is a swimmer's dream. It is 100 yards long, well kept, very clean, and the service is tremendous. The wait staff kept us watered and fed. The service was good and professional. Pool games are always loud. During the games, it is a bit obnoxious if you aren't playing, but fun if you were. They kept them short and tried to appeal to all ages.

Staff: Back to comparisons. I have stayed, and have reviewed 5 start hotels and resorts all around the world. The service here was the best I have experienced. The staff is professional, smiling, well-trained and always willing to engage. They are instructed to greet you in spanish and if you respond only in English, they will then engage you in English. However, they were fun to often say, "Oh, you speak spanish?" and then let you try out your horrible, broken spanish.
Many of the staff are recent graduates of universities with a Tourism degree. They are all bi or tri lingual and incredibly professional--many only in their mid to late 20's. The pool / game staff is the same and a lot of fun. Many of them turn into entertainers during the night so multi-talented as well.

Rooms: Spectacular with only one exception. We were in building 70. Go ahead and upgrade--it's worth every penny. The water temperature was a little rough. Showers went hot and cold without warning. That's a very small change they could make to an otherwise spectacular room. The beds and linens are first class. The appointments are professional and everything comfortable. I had no problems with Internet throughout the hotel.

Beach: The other reviewers are accurate. It's not good, except for the lounge area of the hotel. The beach furniture is high quality and the service on the beach is excellent. There isn't much to see walking in either direction and the walking is not great since the beach is slanted. You will appreciate the Grand when you walk by the beach area of the Lindo and Maya. They are much more crowded and noisier.

GO, GO, GO. If you can afford it and you don't have kids travelling with you, stay at the Grand. We walked through the other two properties and they just do not compare--strong disagreement with another reviewer below. You wanted to go back to the Lindo? Unless you like the sound of screaming children, don't stay there.

Enjoy your trip mi amigos.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time you invested in sharing your comments on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso Hotel with the other travelers.

We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit to our resort, and are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the quality of food and beverages, buffet, a la carte restaurant, the grounds, pools and especially our friendly and efficient staff. It is always motivating to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will let them know that they were part of your happiness.

We are sorry to hear you experienced some problems with the water temperature, please rest assured that we have been working on solving this issue, as we needed to make some pipe replacements. We are gathering efforts with all the involved parties, including our Head Purchasing Department, in order to speed up this process to get the parts and fix the areas needed as soon as possible, thus having all areas in perfect shape for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for another great vacation where we can assure you we will do our best to surpass your recent experience.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have stayed at many amazing properties over the years, but this one is our new #1 pick.

I won't repeat all the glowing comments about the amenities, restaurants, staff, rooms ... except to say I agree. But I will share some less known tidbits.

The a la carte restaurants require gentlemen to wear long pants. No exceptions. However, the main concierge desk in the lobby has long pants for you to borrow! They'll guesstimate your size and have you go change in your room.

We pre-booked three of the a la carte dining rooms by email, one week in advance of our stay. We dined at Tony's Surf and Turf, the French place and the Italian one (our favourite). We had breakfast at the main buffet, which has a fresh juice/veggie bar, several egg stations and a fresh donut stand. Of course there were huge assortments of fresh fruit, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals, seafood. Just to shake things up, we lunched at the Mexican restaurant (buffet or menu, your choice). All offered extremely high quality items and variety.

The Iberostar Fun Friends lead multiple activities all through the day. Merengue, archery, ping pong, pool games, bike tours. They post the day's schedule on boards throughout the resort. The Friends also wander around the resort and will engage in quiet conversation while you relax by the beach or stroll on the pathways. Friendly, but not intrusive.

We had a couples beach massage. The therapists were highly competent and very professional. Be forewarned though: there are no privacy curtains, so consider your "wardrobe" choice before arriving (2 piece bathing suit). They do use modesty sheets, of course, but you'll want to be able to expose your full back to get the benefit of a relaxing treatment.

I had an excellent manicure /pedicure at the Spa, which is at the Iberostar Shopping Centre near the main gate. Your building concierge or butler will arrange for a golf cart to run you down there. To come back, have the spa receptionist call for a cart. The resort shuttle train does not go to the Grand (it's up a hill and the little engine has trouble).

We had great intentions of walking or biking around the huge Iberostar complex (they have 5 or 6 resorts, each with their own id bracelet). Apparently, the Grand bracelet will enable you to eat and drink anywhere inside the entire property. However, we were just too busy laying under a palapa on the beach or sauntering around the main pool pathway. Such a demanding schedule.

We agree with the other reviewers, this is and should be the #1 AI in the world!

Room Tip: Room 7022 is beachfront and on 2nd floor: quiet and private