“Beautiful Resort, Service Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Rockford, Illinois
“Beautiful Resort, Service Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Let me start of this reviewing by saying that my last two all inclusive stays have been at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana (IGB), so my review will be reflective of the expectations I had of the Iberostar Grand Pariaso upon booking. My husband and I booked this hotel because we absolutely LOVED the IGB- the service there was amazing and we "felt like somebody" while there; so we expected the same at the IGP. Our stay was from April 29 - May 6th.

First off, the resort is stunning! Absolutely beautiful. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the serenity pool, which was a great location. I loved the his and her sinks on opposite sides of the bathroom...made getting ready for dinner very easy!

The food was anywhere from good to great. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and the grill for lunch. We did eat at the steakhouse twice. The first experience was phenomenal. Juan was our server the first time at the steakhouse and he was great! We ate there again a few days later and the food was good, although our order was messed up and we were missing items we ordered, even after requesting them several times. We also ate the japanese restaurant and that was EXCELLENT! We missed our reservation time, but the staff was kind enough to let us still come in for dinner and sit at the sushi bar. We really enjoyed that.

We picked this resort because we thought the service would be outstanding, however the service was very inconsistent and lacking (especially during breakfast and lunch). We would wait an extensive amount of time for water/coffee/drinks at breakfast and lunch. So much so, that I began to bring water bottles down from our room so I could refill our glasses. At a 5 star resort, that should never have to happen. I noticed that the servers were not only getting the drinks, but also having to clear the tables and reset the tables; which may be the reason the service was slow. But, I do want to recognize Mauricio, who was our server one day at lunch and he provided excellent service.

The pool side service at the serenity pool was EXCELLENT. Mirna took great care of us during the day and we were never without a drink in our hand while at the Serenity pool.

The pool side service at the main pool was terrible. We had lounge chairs on the opposite side of the swim up bar and the waitress only came by once in the 2 hours we sat there! It appeared that there was only one server and by the time she would get part way around the pool, she would have to go back to the bar to fulfill the orders she had taken and never seemed to make it back to where we were sitting. Disappointing.

The lounge chairs at the main pool are excellent and comfortable. The lounge chairs at the serenity pool are terrible. They are hard plastic with a cushion that will not stay in place. I would imagine the resort will be replacing them soon with the ones similar to the ones by the main pool. If they are not, they should.

We did see 2 shows while we were there and they were enjoyable (we saw the Rock show and the 70's music one).

I understand the resort was at 100% capacity, which may account for the poor service at times. I spoke with another couple we met while there and they stated they stayed at the IGP last year and said the service was much better then.

Overall, our vacation was still very nice, but it was not the vacation "experience" we were looking to have. Being that this a 5 star hotel, I only gave them 3 stars because of the lack of service, which to me is a high expectation when paying top dollar for a resort.

And we did tip throughout the entire stay, regardless of service. Every meal and every drink, so I know that was not the issue with the service.

A recommendation to the resort: Place tasteful looking bins or cubby areas where patrons can place their items if they want to stay in the pool, but not take up a lounger or cabana bed. When my husband and I arrived at the Serenity pool one day, there were no chairs/cabanas available. We still went into the hot tub and placed our 2 hotel issued towels and black beach bag next to the pool. Shortly after, a staff member asked us to move the bags to a cabana and that "there is one open now". Understandably the resort doesn't want the pool area to look cluttered. However, I felt bad taking up a whole cabana just to place my towels and beach bag on, but did not plan on using. If there was a type of bin (maybe near the bathrooms), I would of gladly placed my stuff in there and allowed the cabana to stay open for someone to use. Just a thought.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your loyalty and trust in IBEROSTAR and for the suggestions you brought up to our attention in order to enhance our guests’ experience; your well-being and entire satisfaction are our primary goals therefore we highly value the time you spent to share a feedback on your latest stay at our resort.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our beautiful installations as well as our bathroom design and the entire room.

It is great to read that your first experience at our Surf & Turf restaurant was great, and that our food met your expectations. Moreover, we apologize for the waits at breakfast and lunch time; we are making our best to confront this situation and taking note of all your comments so we can speed up the buffet.

On the other hand, we thank you for pointing out the kindness of our staff, we are thrilled to know that the members of our team were part of your wellbeing; we will share your review with them.

Regarding your comments about the lounge chairs; we have read all our guests’ feedbacks and took actions about this. We have invested in new ones that are better (expecting to receive them in the coming months); also in cushions that are more comfortable as the ones you tried at our main pool.

Also we are looking for an option to give our guests someplace for leaving their belongings at the pool area. Your thoughts are very important for us so we really appreciate the fact that you shared them with us.

Finally we liked to read that you enjoyed our shows; entertainment is one of the main pillars of our organization.

Once again, thank you for your time and useful tips to enhance our guests’ overall experience. We hope that you had a pleasant journey back home. We are sorry if you did not have the stay you expect for, but we really look forward to welcoming you back and change your thoughts about our resort.

3,144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Polish first
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Grand. We went with two other couples. It is first class all the way. We read dozens and dozens of reviews before we selected the Grand, and we were not disappointed in our choice. You really have to look hard to complain about something at this hotel.

This is not the Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton--and our group has stayed at plenty of those. It is a Mexican All-Inclusive that is tremendous. I have panned some great hotels--Fairmont in Bermuda and the Palace in SF. I am shocked someone is panning this place.

One example of service. I was lost in a book...finishing the last 50 pages. I left my room to sit in a breezy location. I stopped at a couch and eventually laid on the couch. My head was resting on the hard edge of the couch. A staff person noticed this and came over with a pillow and put it under my head! Are you kidding? The service doesn't get much better.

Restaurants: My expectations were low, even though most of the reviews were good. The food far exceeded our expectations. The variety was great, quality excellent and the service unparalled. We went to two buffet nights, Japanese, Surf and Turf, Gourmet and the new Mexican restaurant. ALL were great and different. They did attempt to upgrade our wine at the Surf and Turf. We bought a couple of expensive bottles and then went back to the house wine. The upgrades were just not worth the extra. The steak is the best I have had in Mexico. It is not Morton's or Chop House...but this is Mexico, not Texas or Chicago. Don't go for the steaks. We are not usually a buffet couple, but the Grand was great. The variety, quality and freshness were all very good. At the international night buffet, you get a sampling from all of the restaurants.

Facilities: Constantly being maintained, painted, repaired. They really take care of the place. I was impressed with the safety focus of the staff--eye and ear protection, weight belts and all uniformed. It is a phenominal facility. The quality of features, public bathrooms, artifacts, tile, marble, statues...amazing.

Pool Areas: We did both pools. I don't know what the chap from England was thinking when he signed up for an all-inclusive. The crowd at the pool bar was very professional, not loud, music was quite muted and the noise level was very acceptable--maybe we were the ones making the noise! The tranquility pool was nice, but like a library. Just wasn't our style. We went there only for one morning. The large, salt water pool is a swimmer's dream. It is 100 yards long, well kept, very clean, and the service is tremendous. The wait staff kept us watered and fed. The service was good and professional. Pool games are always loud. During the games, it is a bit obnoxious if you aren't playing, but fun if you were. They kept them short and tried to appeal to all ages.

Staff: Back to comparisons. I have stayed, and have reviewed 5 start hotels and resorts all around the world. The service here was the best I have experienced. The staff is professional, smiling, well-trained and always willing to engage. They are instructed to greet you in spanish and if you respond only in English, they will then engage you in English. However, they were fun to often say, "Oh, you speak spanish?" and then let you try out your horrible, broken spanish.
Many of the staff are recent graduates of universities with a Tourism degree. They are all bi or tri lingual and incredibly professional--many only in their mid to late 20's. The pool / game staff is the same and a lot of fun. Many of them turn into entertainers during the night so multi-talented as well.

Rooms: Spectacular with only one exception. We were in building 70. Go ahead and upgrade--it's worth every penny. The water temperature was a little rough. Showers went hot and cold without warning. That's a very small change they could make to an otherwise spectacular room. The beds and linens are first class. The appointments are professional and everything comfortable. I had no problems with Internet throughout the hotel.

Beach: The other reviewers are accurate. It's not good, except for the lounge area of the hotel. The beach furniture is high quality and the service on the beach is excellent. There isn't much to see walking in either direction and the walking is not great since the beach is slanted. You will appreciate the Grand when you walk by the beach area of the Lindo and Maya. They are much more crowded and noisier.

GO, GO, GO. If you can afford it and you don't have kids travelling with you, stay at the Grand. We walked through the other two properties and they just do not compare--strong disagreement with another reviewer below. You wanted to go back to the Lindo? Unless you like the sound of screaming children, don't stay there.

Enjoy your trip mi amigos.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time you invested in sharing your comments on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso Hotel with the other travelers.

We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit to our resort, and are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the quality of food and beverages, buffet, a la carte restaurant, the grounds, pools and especially our friendly and efficient staff. It is always motivating to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will let them know that they were part of your happiness.

We are sorry to hear you experienced some problems with the water temperature, please rest assured that we have been working on solving this issue, as we needed to make some pipe replacements. We are gathering efforts with all the involved parties, including our Head Purchasing Department, in order to speed up this process to get the parts and fix the areas needed as soon as possible, thus having all areas in perfect shape for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for another great vacation where we can assure you we will do our best to surpass your recent experience.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have stayed at many amazing properties over the years, but this one is our new #1 pick.

I won't repeat all the glowing comments about the amenities, restaurants, staff, rooms ... except to say I agree. But I will share some less known tidbits.

The a la carte restaurants require gentlemen to wear long pants. No exceptions. However, the main concierge desk in the lobby has long pants for you to borrow! They'll guesstimate your size and have you go change in your room.

We pre-booked three of the a la carte dining rooms by email, one week in advance of our stay. We dined at Tony's Surf and Turf, the French place and the Italian one (our favourite). We had breakfast at the main buffet, which has a fresh juice/veggie bar, several egg stations and a fresh donut stand. Of course there were huge assortments of fresh fruit, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals, seafood. Just to shake things up, we lunched at the Mexican restaurant (buffet or menu, your choice). All offered extremely high quality items and variety.

The Iberostar Fun Friends lead multiple activities all through the day. Merengue, archery, ping pong, pool games, bike tours. They post the day's schedule on boards throughout the resort. The Friends also wander around the resort and will engage in quiet conversation while you relax by the beach or stroll on the pathways. Friendly, but not intrusive.

We had a couples beach massage. The therapists were highly competent and very professional. Be forewarned though: there are no privacy curtains, so consider your "wardrobe" choice before arriving (2 piece bathing suit). They do use modesty sheets, of course, but you'll want to be able to expose your full back to get the benefit of a relaxing treatment.

I had an excellent manicure /pedicure at the Spa, which is at the Iberostar Shopping Centre near the main gate. Your building concierge or butler will arrange for a golf cart to run you down there. To come back, have the spa receptionist call for a cart. The resort shuttle train does not go to the Grand (it's up a hill and the little engine has trouble).

We had great intentions of walking or biking around the huge Iberostar complex (they have 5 or 6 resorts, each with their own id bracelet). Apparently, the Grand bracelet will enable you to eat and drink anywhere inside the entire property. However, we were just too busy laying under a palapa on the beach or sauntering around the main pool pathway. Such a demanding schedule.

We agree with the other reviewers, this is and should be the #1 AI in the world!

Room Tip: Room 7022 is beachfront and on 2nd floor: quiet and private
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your review about your experience with other travelers.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the variety and delicious food at our a la carte restaurants and buffets and the great service of our Spa staff. We are very proud to know that we surpassed your expectations; the professionalism and genuine helpfulness of our staff is certainly one of the main assets of our luxury hotel and we thank you for pointing out this aspect of your experience among us; we are glad you felt well looked after throughout your stay, this being our main goal.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcoming you again in the near future and we can assure you that we will do our best to make your stay a great experience once again.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Omg the best of the best. Can't believe anyone would rate this lower than a 5 star. Please let me know where you travel to receive better than this. Great service. My husband is an executive chef and loved the food. Rooms were so comfy. Normaly we miss our own bed but not this time. Trust the great reviews and book. We can't wait to go back.

Dear Guest,

We are enchanted with your review on Trip Advisor as we are always trying to make the stay of all our guests' very special and your review is a source of great satisfaction and motivation for our team.

Also we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. It would be a great pleasure for us to welcoming you again in the near future and we can assure you that we will be doing our best to make your stay a great experience once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We just returned from a 6 night stay: 4/27 - 5/3. Everything you read in the positive reviews is true. This resort is AWESOME!

We have stayed at Sandals, Secrets, and Excellence brand resorts in the past, but this Iberostar Grand resort blows them away in terms of the level of service and luxury accommodations.

The staff are the very friendly and go out of their way to ensure that all your needs are taken care of. From the moment we arrived we know we chose the right resort. Check in was fast and easy and we were upgraded to an oceanfront room FREE OF CHARGE!

I don't know what more to say other than the food, drinks, pools, beaches, staff and entertainment are all awesome!

I'd like to personally thank the following staff members for their exceptional level of service:
Yuri - Main Pool Concierge
Diana - Main Pool Drink Server
Natalia - Bldg 71 Concierge
Victor - Veneza (Italian Restaurant) Waiter.

Thanks Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso for making our 8 year anniversary trip special. We are already looking into reservations for a return trip in December.

Room Tip: Bldg 71 - 3rd Floor Ocean view has awesome views
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your time at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and giving us such a great review.

We feel very fortunate for being your hosts at your special occasion and we are proud to say that we work very hard to please our entire guests’ and exceed all your expectations.

It is our pleasure to give you the service you deserve, we are happy that you enjoyed the delicious food, the drinks, the different pools, the beach and the entertainment staff that are happy that they made your stay even better.

Once again we are thankful for your writing about your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I and another couple just returned from a week at this fine resort. Once again it was wonderful and it all started with the stretch limo that Tripguy.com had for us at the airport to take us to the hotel. We have used them several times now and we will book with them in the future. Mitch at Tripguy.com made our tee times for golf and got us the dinner reservations we wanted for the whole week. It helped make the vacation so much smoother. We even got upgraded to ocean front rooms. We think Tripguy did it.... as a nice surprise. And we loved the room in building 70.

The resort was great as always and the food was good, the golf was good, the weather was perfect and the bartenders were funny and imaginative.
Special thanks to our buddy Ricardo out front and Humberto at the pool bar and Daniel at the lobby bar. There are many more but their names escape me just now.

We will return!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is wonderful, especially the second floor.
Dear guest,

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for the time you took to share a praising review about your THIRD EXPERIENCE at IBEROSTAR. We are very thankful for your visit and for your loyalty towards our hotel.

We also would like to thank you for pointing out the service and friendliness of our staff; we will certainly not fail to congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us. It is great to know that Ricardo, Humberto and Daniel between others were part of your wonderful stay.

We would like you to know that it is satisfactory to read that you liked our gastronomy and that you enjoyed our golf course.

Thank you again for your valuable time; it will be a real pleasure to welcoming you back on your next getaway.

Kind regards,

Harrisonville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Just returned two days ago from a wonderful week long vacation at the Iberostar Grand. We had a very enjoyable time. All the employees were very friendly. We purchased the transfer through Funjet (Lomas). The transfer was well worth it. Lomas got us taken care of and were especially helpful on our return to the Cancun airport. They took us right to the correct gate and waited with us to be helped by the airline agent. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and well taken care of. Lots of beautiful marble floors. Our room was in the main building where the lobby is located. Very nice, and we slept better than we do at home. However, next time we go, we have decided to get the ocean view room, as our room only looked out at the building housing the indoor pool. The grounds are pretty, but the ocean view would have been much better. We ate at all the a la carte restaurants, except for the Gourmet, which was full the night we tried to go. They were all good. I think our favorite was the steak and seafood restaurant, Toni's. Loved relaxing at the beach. Couldn't believe, there is someone from the resort who comes around with suncreen for you to use. There were a couple of days where the red flag was up, and the waves were pretty big. Watch out for the rocks on the bottom, though. We took the ferry to Cozumel one day, and were quite queasy by the time we arrived back at the Grand. Another day we went to Chichen Itza with Your Private Tour. Well worth the money to do the private tour with them. We went years ago with a big group on a double decker bus and it is much better to go with a small group. This trip was just us, the driver Mariano and our guide Monroy in a nice air condirioned van. Went early to avoid the heat and Monroy was very informative and interesting. They even took me to a grocery store on the way back to the resort, so I could buy some vanilla. The only negative of the trip was when we went to the medical center after feeling queasy on the ferry. The receptionist was not helpful at all, and bordered on being condescending and rude. We informed the Grand of what had happened and they made a point of calling us to let us know their concern and even talked to us about it when we checked out of the resort. The medical center is not owned by the resort, but we felt they should know about it and they seemed glad we let them know. I hope we can go back to the Grand many more times.

Room Tip: I would pick an ocean view room next time.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit to our resort.

We are so happy to know you could enjoy your vacations and the fact that you had the opportunity to try our services like having sunscreen without a charge.

We are glad you liked our spaces like the room, the grounds, marble floors, the beach, and we are proud of our hardworking and friendly staffs, who continue helping us to reach our goal of being one the best resort in the Caribbean. Your review shows that we are on the right track.

Concerning your dinner reservations at our a la carte restaurants, we are sorry to hear that you could not try our Gourmet restaurant as it was full. On your next stay we would love to suggest you to contact us before your arrival and schedule dinner reservations in advance for your entire stay.

As regards the points you have highlighted of the medical service please let us inform you that since you were here we informed the below people and departments in order to let them be aware about the issues you had, as we explained to you as it is an external service, we need to let the correct people known as they can take the right measures to improve this service and we could be aware of the service our guests’ had been provided, once more we are sorry that you had this experience at our resort.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!