“excellent hotel with fantastic staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Croydon, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel with fantastic staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here for two weeks in early March. On arrival we were greeted with a cold flannel and a welcome drink and taken to reception, where we checked in. We were taken to our room by a porter with our cases. Within a few minutes our butler arrived at our room and showed us around informing us of everything we needed to know. He asked us what bottle of spirit we would like in our room and this was delivered within 5 minutes. However we never had anything to do with the butler again, as we had no need to. Our room had a garden view which was nice and quiet. The room was spacious and clean. Ironing and ironing board supplied in wardrobe. Nice large safe big enough for I pad and other bits. Also an umbrella in case of that downpour. Plenty of hangers. The mini bar had plenty of water, soft drinks, beer, white wine, red wine and three miniature bottles of spirits along with your large bottle of spirit of your choice. Also crisps and nuts and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was huge with his and her sinks, hairdryer which very good for long hair, make up mirror, walk in shower, Jacuzzi bath tub and toilet. Nice white towels and the usual toiletries. The bed was huge and very comfortable. You have a pillow menu if your not happy with what is supplied. Go down a few steps to a another area with a desk and two chairs and a chaise longue. This leads to sliding doors to the decked balcony area which has a swing chair another seating area with a mosquito net and a table. Also a ceiling fan outside and light. There is good air con and also a ceiling fan in the room. The maids cleaned the room daily and we had a nightly turn down service where they changed the towels and turned your bed down and left a couple of chocolates on your pillow . This was always done after 8pm when we had left the room which was lovely as many hotels knock far to early and we end up sending them away. The sea view rooms are exactly the same inside but just have a sea view. They wanted 80 dollars a night for the upgrade from our room which we felt was not worth it. The seaview rooms lose the sun around 2pm as the sun sets at the front of the hotel.
The entrance to the hotel from outside isn't as Grand as the Punta Cana Grand. Nice big water feature outside. The lobby bar is lovely and in the evenings they have either someone playing music or singing. The entertainment staff work really hard and we became good friends with them. The shows they produce are fantastic. There must be at least another 30-40 people that sing and dance along with a live band. We saw the Boogie night show, The Broadway show and the Rock show. All were terrific. They were that good we saw two of them twice. There was a magic show and a folklore show which were very good if you like that type of thing. It would be good if they could do different shows over a two week period for those that are staying for 2 weeks. They are trying to do more shows but it takes a long time to prepare all the music, costumes and lighting and then find time to rehearse. Entertainment around the main pool was very good and very funny. Especially the balloon fight in the pool. Those poor lads don't get paid enough !! We would like to thank Jayzee, Andy, Ender, Edwardo and the two girls, sorry I forgot your names for making us laugh so much. There was also a pool table inside and table tennis outside.
The main pool was nice a clean. The jacuzzi's could have been a bit warmer. The pool was quite cold but we soon got used to it. One side of the pool loses the sun lunch time. Beds are normally reserved by 9am. There are spare beds later in the day if your not fussy about sitting in the sun as there is plenty of shade. Beach towels are available and you can take as many as you like. Also at the towel hut they have books you can borrow and sun tan cream you can use. Make sure you leave your books and unused sun cream with them when you leave for other guests to share. Very good idea. The pool bar did get very noisy on a few occasions when large groups of people got together who had obviously had far to much to drink and a couple of times the music around the pool we felt was far to loud and not relaxing. There is also a quiet pool at the side of the hotel but we never went there. There is a spa but again we never visited it.
The beach is nice and sandy. There are quite a lot of rocks and coral on entry to the sea but there are spaces to get in easily. The sea however was quite cold and rough at times. We used to go for a beach walk every day to Maroma beach. It is beautiful, there are no rocks and the sea was calmer. It took about 30 minutes to walk then we used to have a swim then walk back.
Sunbeds on the beach were a bit of a problem. You had to reserve a bed by at least 8pm. Again usual story of people reserving beds and not appearing till after lunch. We stayed around the pool because of this which is a shame as we are beach people. However we found the sunbeds on the beach to be uncomfortable as the cushions really do need replacing. They having started renewing them around the pool and they are much better. There is free wifi everywhere in the hotel even on the beach.
The buffet restaurant was amazing. So much choice. You would have to be really fussy if you couldn't find something to eat. Three stations in the mornings for cooking eggs and omelettes so no queuing. There is also a menu you can order from at breakfast with things like Lobster Billinis on. I did ask if they could do me poached eggs and sure enough I got them cooked just perfect. Plenty of choices of different breads and I have never been to a hotel with so much choice of fresh fruit. Lovely fresh milk shakes and juices also available. The main buffet restaurant was open lunch times for our first few days, this was due to the hotel being so full. After that just the beach restaurant was open of a lunch time. Again they had plenty to choose from and also a menu to order from if you wanted. Most days there was a BBQ as well outside. My only criticism would be there were not enough seats to sit outside the main restaurant and also the hot food could have been a bit hotter. There is plenty of freshly cooked meat and fish all the time, so we just stuck to that with salads. One day a week they have three types of Paella for lunch This was amazing. Lobster was available every day. One lunch time I asked why there was no mango in the fruit chiller. The waiter went away and a chef went to the other kitchen and brought me out a huge plate of prepared mango just for me. Now that is service !! The choices of cheese is also very large, and the fresh guacamole and nachos were amazing. There is a very large range of white, red and rose wines. They were all very good. Bottles are not left on your table but they do refill your glass very quickly.
We booked all the A la Carte restaurants twice. We never had a problem getting the time of our choice. There is supposed to be a dress code for men of long trousers and no open sandals, however this was not adhered to in the Italian restaurant which is a shame. I think it is nice seeing people dress up of an evening. The food in the Italian was nice but we preferred the other restaurants. The Surf and Turf was our favourite. The steak was so tender. Service could be a little slow in there but we were not in any rush. The Gourmet Restaurant was just off the main buffet restaurant. The food again was very good especially the Lobster Thermidor and the Rock Fish Soup. Our first visit to the Japanese restaurant unfortunately wasn't very good. We had booked a show table, and we were very rushed. I had not even finished my starter when they tried to clear my plate and serve my mains. We were in and out within 45 minutes. The food was also extremely salty. We complained to guest relations about this and we said we would try it one more time but not on a show table. On our second visit the staff were very attentive , they had obviously been informed about our last visit. However this time our experience was most enjoyable. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We did go back to guest relations and asked them to inform the staff how much we enjoyed the meal this time.
There is a small shopping centre in the middle of the Iberostar complex. All the food and drink there is free on the all inclusive. Most of the shops sell the normal tacky holiday souvenirs . You do not need any money the shops can book things to your room at your hotel.
You can use all the other Iberostar hotels bars and A la carte restaurants if you wish.
We would definitely go back again, mainly due to the excellent staff and the quality of the food and drink.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your getaway and also for sharing your review here on Trip Advisor.

It is good to read that you felt welcome at our hotel and also that during your check in, our butler showed you and explained you everything you needed.

We appreciate your highlights on our facilities and the amenities of our luxury suites; it is great to hear that you liked it and that our housekeeping staff did an outstanding work.

Regarding your mention about our Star friends, we feel very proud and happy to know that they were part of your great experience and that you loved everything they do. Be sure we will take your suggestions in consideration.

Our hotel is recognized for being an excellent place for relaxing, for that reason we are concerned to hear that you could not accomplish it at all the times due to the music played, please accept our sincerely apology for it.

On the other hand we are thrilled to read that with our gastronomy we surpassed your expectations and that you liked the quality and variety of the food we offer. We know that we have some points to improve but we always do our best to give our guests a wonderful time at our restaurants. It is good to read that during your visit we have the opportunity to improve and change your experience at our Japanese restaurant is, we once again, apologize for any inconvenience experienced in your first time there.

On behalf of all our team, we really look forward to seeing you soon!

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Polish first
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Let me start off with the good:

Service: Very Nice. Everyone was very nice to us, to the point of remembering my and my husband's names after one introduction. The staff was beyond polite, warm and engaging. We stayed in an oceanfront room and so we spent most of our time at the beach (which is beyond gorgeous by the way). Our drink orders were always prompt and we felt that most things were taken care of quite quickly. By far, the staff was one of the best things about this place.

Beach: One of the prettiest beaches I have seen and I've seen a lot of beaches. It's kept clean by the staff and the water is beyond words to describe blue. It's also pretty safe for swimming. Some have complained of rocks on the beach. This is true if you stay in building 71. In front of building 70, rocks were not an issue.

Pools: The pools are gorgeous and kept up very nicely. You do have to be out at like 7am to get a choice spot under a cabana if you want to lay by the pool. People reserve the spots uber early. That was sort of annoying as I go on vacation to sleep in and then lounge after breakfast. Having to get up to get a seat makes for vacation feeling sort of rushed. It's not terrible and they now have a policy that says you can't reserve a seat until 8am, but that is sort of ignored and I don't see it enforced. That said, I spent most of my time at the beach because it was just too pretty not too.

Cleaniness: The resort is beautiful and it is connected to other Iberostar resorts (which you are allowed to go to and actually might be a better deal for what you get). It does look aged (hard to believe it opened in 2007) but my room was clean and the shower and bathroom looked pristine. The balcony furniture was a bit dated and grungy but it was an oceanfront room. Anything that faces the ocean is bound to get grungy and I suspect it's expensive to update upholstery every few months.

Entertainment: There is one singer there, Carlos, who is amazing. He could have a show in Vegas and I would have paid extra just to see him. The shows were entertaining and the theater was nice. I really enjoyed both nights we went. Some might find the entertainment dated, but I'm an old soul at heart so I thought it was really fun.

Ok, now the just ok:

Reservations for dinner-- It seems like all that is ever available is 9pm, which wasn't an issue for us but could have been for others. Even asking ahead of time to make reservations did not help. Also a new restaurant opened and the concierge told us we didn't need reservations. Turns out we did and thus could not eat at the restaurant. That was fine but we would have been upset if our hearts were set on that.

The upkeep of the resort -- I mentioned this earlier. They keep the place really clean (I constantly see people cleaning the beach, the floors, everything) but the resort itself looks old in certain ways. For a five star resort, it felt like it needed a facelift. The marble was cracked in many places, there were missing light fixtures, holes in the wall, etc. The paint was dingy in lots of places. Not bad enough to make me upset, it just doesn't really lend itself to the five star reputation.

And finally the bad:

The food-- this was really surprising to me. It wasn't that it tasted awful or anything, it just wasn't executed very well. To compare I've been on a Celebrity Cruise and the food there was truly five star. Every night was a gourmet dinner. The food at Iberostar, while very nicely presented, just didn't quite taste right. It was good, but not five star good. Except for the churros at breakfast, I can't think of a single meal that blew my socks off and for the price we paid, I expected the food to be the best part of the resort. (For example, a "Kobe Beef Burger" at lunch was thin and never cooked quite right. And the french fries tasted like they came out of the freezer and were rewarmed in a microwave oven. Or even though there is lobster every day, most times it just didn't taste very fresh and I was worried about eating it.) Furthermore, a lot of the food seemed redundant and I think that this is the result of it being all inclusive. I get it: the resort has to make money some way and a good way to keep price down is to buy large quantities of the same time of food. So I get it but I don't think they did as good of a job as they could have.

Overall would I recommend it: Yes, but with reservations. If you want to drink a lot without having to worry about a bar tab on a gorgeous beach but don't care much about five star food or modern surroundings, yes, this is the vacation for you. But if you want pristine hotel rooms, top-notch food and a more luxurious feel, you might be better going to a place where you have to pay for your food out of pocket. It may seem like all-inclusive is a good deal, but for ease of vacationing, you are making a trade off in quality for some of the things. I stayed for three nights and that was long enough for us. I personally probably would not come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second or third floor of building 70 if you get an oceanfront view. That has t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed our pools, the beach; and that you were able to try one of the biggest privileges as a Grand guest which is to have the opportunity to get into the other 4 hotels in the complex without charge. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed the shows.

Regarding maintenance of our facilities, please know that a preventive maintenance program is constantly carried out throughout the year, this is done by areas due to the fact that the hotel never closes and we need to ensure that we do not disturb our guests during their stay at our resort. However, we will inform our Maintenance Manager about the point you have brought to our attention and you can be sure we will work hard to have every pot up to standard.

Concerning the sun lounges, we are working on solving this matter, we have now assigned a Pool Concierge supervisor who takes care of the area and assists our guests to find a nice spot and to ensure the fulfillment of the new policies to do not reserve them, we are constantly working on raising awareness among this situation, we apologize for the inconvenient this caused.

In regards to the dinner reservations, we are truly sorry to hear you had a bad time trying to get spaces before 9:00 p.m. we have been working so hard to keep the balance on our sittings and to try to have availability to everyone, as you well mentioned some of our guests prefer earlier times to have dinner so they will not miss the show or enjoy our different bars. It also happens sometimes that our guests do not show up at the restaurants and then we have tables available, however, we cannot re-use those tables until 15 – 20 minutes after the reservation time when it becomes a cancelation. This is not an excuse for your comments in regards to our dinner service but an explanation on how our system works. We are working on different ways to make this easier and more effective for all our customers. One suggestion would be to contact your concierge or butler at arrival and schedule dinner reservations in advance for your entire stay.

We are truly sorry that you were not happy with the food quality and variety; our main goal is to offer our guests a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared at the moment so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service. We have already shared your feedback with our Executive Chef for his consideration as he continuously strives to offer the best quality.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations made and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and show you are improvements.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

First of all I cannot imagine anyone staying here and having anything but a decent holiday. I have recommended the place to family and friends that I feel it would suit specifically as it's not for every one.
I personally wouldn't return but only because I would try somewhere different as there are a lot of great properties in the area that may be more suited to us. Ie secrets excellence etc

I read a lot of reviews before deciding on this property. Most of the recent reviews seem to be getting more of a true and fair reflection on the place. There are a lot of people raving about what you get here and how nice it is but for the price range the hotel is positioned in this should be expected at this standard.

The hotel is nice yes but you also have paid a great deal of money so it should be! i didn't find anything over and above what I expected for the cost of this holiday. It met expectations in most areas there were a few niggles but nothing exceeded expectation either.

Pros
The hotel is immaculate and spotlessly clean in all areas.
The marbles floors were constantly being shined with machines and the hotel is very beautiful.
The breakfast buffet was delicious and we actually looked forward to this daily.
The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home and sheets were high thread count.
Felt totally at home and comfortable in the room and hotel and could have easily stayed several weeks longer. Unlike some places where you feel ready to go home.
Maid service was excellent.
Mini bar constantly restocked with preferences and accommodated our requests on notes.
We got any alcohol we asked for they never gave us cheap stuff
Some super friendly staff who would help with anything take you anywhere on golf buggys etc
But also some not so friendly
Golf course looked great if you like to play
Never got ill or any stomach complaints no flies on food etc all very high standard
No different classes of guests or sub categories within the hotel ie preferred area all guests all got the same if you stayed here once you arrived.
Access to indoor spa pool without having to pay extra or book treatments
Can go for a walk through or use any of the adjoined resorts all iberostsr although you will quickly return and thank god you booked the grand. Overcrowded and full of noisy kids
Great Mexican night you can try diff tequilas and they have entertainment
Beach was lovely and comfy beds
They have magazines books and sunblock free
Plenty of towels and as many as you want
Mostly enough sunbeds but had to get up to reserve

Room for improvement
We are not petty people so none of this ruined our holiday but:
No wifi access this was not acceptable for this standard hotel even budget motels offer this
Only saw butler for 10 mins when we first arrived and not again for whole of 2 weeks.
Language barrier was a big problem I had been told it wasn't a problem before booking here but it was so instead of being ignorant Brits we learnt the Spanish that we needed to get by.
Beach service was hit or miss on the left side never ever got waiter service and in right side there was but only 1 overworked waiter trying his best.
There was no beach bar or snack bar or anything to grab a bite which there are in most AI's.
If you missed lunch slot you had to go back to room and get room service when you wanted to still be out in the sun.
There was lobster available daily at lunch but seemed bitter and poor quality compared to lobster at surf and turf at dinner
We had issues with room entire light fitting and ceiling tile fall through but this was fixed fairly promptly no big deal.
The toilet was leaking also throughout stay wasn't fixed but didn't ruin our holiday or anything
Lack of hot water was a problem throughout stay for showers
Balcony tables hammocks and chairs very tired and dirty.
Service in surf and turf was terrible and also constantly overcooked my steaks. They made you feel awkward if you said anything i just ate them.
Reservations system was a nightmare even though I'd emailed as per reviewers advised before to reserve first week.
The front desk was very frustrating with anything I asked them before arriving I gave up emailing it was useless
Generally high standard of hygiene but did bother me a few times with usually young staff in food buffet handling food meats and fruits with no gloves on. They then had gloves on next day as they were told to by inspection they had.
A couple of times our room service failed to arrive they had forgotten completely so had to reorder and due to waiting times we were starving by this point. This shouldn't happen at a hotel of this price point.
Didn't feel there was enough choice of places to eat in the day. The buffet had lots of cold shellfish which wasn't our thing partly what I was saying earlier. If you eat a lot of shellfish then this hotel is for you.
We got by with the BBQ most days which had steak and Caesar salad but this got boring every single day.
There was a lack of wildlife in the grounds compared to the other 5 resorts next door they had beautiful wildlife and birds
None of the a la cartes were that good except Japanese so we looked forward to breakfast each morning I think the buffets were better
Overall a solid property you will have a nice time here but again this is comparable to the cost you pay to stay here.

This hotel is one of the few with a full 5 on trip advisor so was expecting none of the issues above and also to feel a bit more pampered overall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We value all guests’ feedback as an opportunity to continue improving our services and products.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso that you enjoyed such as our beautiful facilities, comfortable beds and rooms, delicious food at the breakfast buffet and at the Japanese restaurant and of our friendly staff.

Regarding the butler service, we regret that you were displeased with it. Our butlers are in charge of a section of rooms, normally around 25 to 35 rooms each. Prior to all arrivals they check the rooms to guarantee our high quality standards. They will assist with anything our guests might need during their stay when they are required. It only requires a phone call to the Concierge Desk and the butler will appear at your door step. At check out they make a final inspection of the room to verify our guests do not forget any personal items.

We have noted your comments and we are truly sorry that you were not happy with the food at our surf & turf restaurant; our main goal is to offer our guests a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared at the moment so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service. We have already shared your comments with our Executive Chef for his consideration as he continuously strives to offer the best quality.

As regard on the internet connection, we would like to say that just a couple of months ago we began to offer free wifi all over the hotel, we have been working closely with our provider in order to ensure we have a good connection, however we are still working to avoid minor signal failures. We apologize for the inconvenient.

We would like to inform you that our booking system is based on restaurant seatings for our specialty restaurants at 18:30, 19:00, 20:30 and 21:00. We want our guests to enjoy a nice dinner, which is why we do not reserve all tables in each seating. If we did, our guests might feel forced to eat faster and the experience would not be as relaxing. Booking every table in the 4 seatings also leads guests having to wait for previous guests to finish their meals and that would gradually cause a whole delayed reservation system, which affects many guests and the overall service. We appreciate your understating.

We apologize about the couple of incidents that you had during your stay, be it due to genuine human error or certain protocols not being followed or some preferences not being noted. Certainly the aim of our correspondence today is not to find excuses but rather acknowledge your feedback, apologize, and take actions based on your comments. Please note that we have shared your comments to all the head departments concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures.

We hope that you will visit us again to see the changes we continuously make; we appreciate your detailed feedback, and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

stayed from oct 1st 2013 for 10 days this was our second visit to this hotel and to be fair it has only got better over the years so well done to you the managment and all the staff that look after the property.what can we say from the top of roof to the floors it is just like being in a palace all pristine marble gleaming 24/7 the rooms are well spacious and your mini bar is to just die for stocked daily with whatever you wish to drink not like some other all inclusive hotels we have stayed at.some of the animation team that were there on our firs visit were there still this time which was nice to go back over old times with them.food was excellent as always again we did not use all the ala carte restaurants but did go to surf n turf & the chineese whwre your food was cooked in front of you it was good to watch entertainment brilliant again they always seem to put a lot of work into there shows we will be going back again at some point have to start saving for a while though if you are in any doubt about booking this hotel don't be afraid to it will be the holiday of your dreams I guarantee you the only problem you will have is trying to find a hotel to compare it with after woods as we have found out (BOOK WITHOUT A DOUBT)

Room Tip: overlooking the pool area or spa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your second visit to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso hotel.

We are thrilled to receive your compliments about your visit, it is great to hear that you felt like you were in a palace with all the marble gleaming and the mini-bar refilled every day according to your preferences.

We appreciate your mention on the great service our dedicated staff provide, we are glad to know you enjoyed talking to our animation team about the old times. We sincerely value your loyalty and we will always be honored to have you back.

It is great to know that you could once again enjoy our delicious food, and that you liked the little show done in the Haiku Japanese restaurant.

We strive to make your holiday the holiday of your dreams, and by reading your review, we believe it worked out.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back once again in this your home away from home IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

Kind Regards,

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Our third time in 4 years. While still beautiful to look at, it is showing wear in its service level and environment. Needs to be upgraded-sunchair pads are thin, bathtub was brown, grout dirty, paint chipping on balcony, water leak in roof, no shade, seats or water at tennis courts. These are all routine maintaince issues which should be addressed if you want to maintain your #1 rating. Service varies from excellent to marginal. Butler is a formality-really doesn't do much except on first day welcome. With a nice tip, did get us a bottle of gin and an evening bubble bath but I think that is fairly routine. Other than that, he was rarely seen. Got mixed messages from the concierges on dinner reservations; no help with tennis pro lessons (don't waste your money). Don't be misled into thinking they are doing you any favors. It seems like they have a plan of action for dinner reservations and will tell you that only a certain restaurant has availability (we saw the same people at the same restaurants on the same evening) even though I was told to send an email in advance to secure reservations (waste of time-no reservations upon our arrival). Forget about asking for a certain room or building in advance even though we were assured, given our repeat visit, that we would have a very nice room. We didn't ask for Ocean View or Ocean Front, just a 2-3rd level similar to what we had before. We were offered first level in 72 then ground level OF (warned not to take this). After insisting, we waited 2.5 hours for a 3rd floor room in Building 72. Ironically, we were given an OV room on this floor at our first visit-no request necessary. Guess repeat visits don't count for anything. Also, they were only 60% filled. Needless to say, it was a bit disappointing since our last visit 2 years ago was superb and we were so excited to go back. For more specific feedback
Restaurants: Surf & Turf was excellent-filet & lamb tender and flavorful, salmon and tuna a bit dry but still very good. Gourmet-an average "French" restaurant. Japanese-good; sit at table not hibachi. You have better choices. Soups and sushi very good. Mexican and International buffet had great selection of average+ food. Breakfast buffet the best although on last day, we weren't even served a glass of water. The waiter totally ignored us.
Drinks: best to order simple drinks otherwise you won't taste any alcohol or you can order a side shot. The butler on the beach, most of the time, was very attentive.
Beach: beautiful. Take a long walk to your right for a view of "spirit" rock formations where the lizards sunbathe. Swim in front of the next resort (Maroma ??)with some bread and see a swarm of angel fish circle you. Water is clear and wonderful to swim in. Beach chair pads need to be replaced. The thin pads get uncomfortable and look cheap. Love the palopas.
Spa/Fitness Center: pool with massage waterfalls and jets can't be missed. Great at the end of the day or after a workout. FC small but has everything you need and never crowded. Try the pool, soaking pools, sauna and steam at the shopping center. Unbelievable experience. The Mayan massage was wonderful=the "best" but the Holistic sensation was an unremarkable massage and the reflexology nothing more than a foot massage. For $185 USD I expected more. The couples massage room (King's suite) is beautiful and serene.
Room: Since I spend most of the day on the beach and little time in my room, I don't need an OF room. I have stayed in building 72 all 3 times facing inside (not tranquility side) and it is private and quiet. Nice to sit on balcony and listen to the breezes through the palms. Would recommend 2 or 3 floor for privacy, view. Love the 2 sinks on opposite walls in the Bathroom which is very spacious. Tub needs resurfacing (see above). All rooms are similar so not sure it is necessary to upgrade unless you really want the OF.
Tennis courts: nice surface at the grand courts near golf; not good at the Mayan. would be nice to have water, shade, seat but had a great time and played every day.
Bars/Nightlife: really didn't participate so much b/c our days were full and we had late dinners.
Room Service: nice to have coffee, fruit in the morning especially since we left early to play tennis or go to gym
This is still a very nice place and we always have a good time but it doesn't take much to keep us entertained. Probably won't go back b/c we want to explore other options especially given the cost. If they upgrade some of the things mentioned above, would consider another visit.

Room Tip: Higher floor, Rm 72 either side would probably be nice about 1/2 down for privacy. All rooms are bas...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you again; we highly value your loyalty as a returning guest. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other visits.

We are glad to hear that the facilities that we offer were part of your experience and that you had time to enjoyed our variety and delicious food at the restaurants a la carte and buffet , our shopping center spa, the gymnasium and also our tennis courts.

We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because they help us increase our ambition to achieve top quality service levels. It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time; therefore we hasten to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with some of our services. We are sorry to hear that you feel that the quality of services has declined; we wish to assure you that our service standards are of greatly importance to us and we therefore work on them every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain our position as a leading luxury property.

In reference to the maintenance of our resort, we would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. Thank you for bringing up this important point.

We always try to do our best to accommodate room requests for our guests, as a policy of our brand we cannot guarantee any of them prior to arrival since it depends on the availability and the occupancy we have on the arrival day, however be sure we do our best to try to accommodate all our guests’ wishes.

Regarding the sun chairs, we have already started to renovate all of them, at the pool and beach areas. We apologize for the inconvenient this may have caused you.

We sincerely regret that your stay did not correspond to your expectations, especially with the butler service and the concierge service, since these are precisely the points that guests usually praise the most and consider being our biggest assets. This will be reviewed with management. We apologize for the errors made, be it due to genuine human error or certain protocols not being followed or some preferences not being noted. Certainly the aim of our correspondence today is not to find excuses but rather acknowledge your feedback, apologize, and take actions based on your comments. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to all the department heads concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations made and do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you for the 4th visit as you will be able to notice some modifications in our services and standards.

Cadillac, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our second trip in ten years to the Iberostar Paraiso property. The first was to the Lindo, which we loved. But, the grand was our first experience at an adults-only and we are sold! The service was second-to -none. Concierge service fabulous. Butler service fabulous. Rooms are very spacious and very graciously appointed and kept pristine. The food was way above average with the exception of the Italian restaurant. Tony's was superb - we dined there twice. Back to the Italian. Our meals were not satisfactory, not acceptable at all. The Head Chef came out and talked with us and really listened to our critique. She offered to cook something for us yet that evening, but we ended up having her prepare a special authentic Mexican breakfast dish, which was truly scrumptious.

Pool and beach staff were terrific, and every bartender really knew how to mix a good drink. Couple of our group golfed three times during the week and reported the course to be very challenging - which was what they were seeking, and the staff and service at the course to be excellent.

Recommend this resort to anyone looking for a wonderful, upscale and restful vacation.

Room Tip: We were in building 71, which is furthest from the beach, but very short stroll to get there. Very...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your visit and also for your pleasant review. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay among us.

We are glad to hear that it was your second trip to IBEROSTAR Paraiso, and that for first occasion you tried an adults only experience at our hotel. Please know it was a true pleasure to host you.

On the other hand we liked to read that you were satisfied with our services including butler and concierge services.

Moreover, the gastronomy being one of the prime pillars, we appreciate your praising words on our Surf & Turf “Tonís” restaurant. We know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests’ overall experience abroad, which is why we are concerned about your opinion on our Italian restaurant. We feel sorry to read that we do not surpass your expectations but we can assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration to improve the food we offer on this restaurant. It is good to know that our Chef cooked some Mexican food for you and that you loved it. Let us take this opportunity to share with you and other travelers that we are now promoting more traditional Mexican food in one of our restaurants, which we hope that all our visitors can taste it and enjoy it.

Once again, thank you very much for your praising review and kind recommendations, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

A truly 5 star resort. Beautiful location, room and food. Lobster every day if you want.

Loved the pools. Each a little different. Spa pool was a great way to end the day. Atmosphere is low key and quiet but still tons to do.

Beautiful beach. Good for long walks.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your vacations, we are truly delighted to read that everything was fantastic!

It is good to know that you enjoyed our installations including the beach and the pools.

Moreover we thank you for pointing out our gastronomy, this being one of the prime pillars of our company, so we are very happy to read that this was a pleasant aspect of your stay.

Thank you once again for visiting us and for the time you took to write your review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

IBEROSTAR México

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!