“Iberostar Grand Paraiso Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Austin, Texas, USA
“Iberostar Grand Paraiso Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was a great resort to relax and enjoy good times with my co-workers. The food and drink were good and the amenities fantastic. The staff is friendly and accommodating to most of our needs. The only reason I rate it 4 out of 5 is because that while they will happily convert US$ into pesos, they will not convert pesos back into US$.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. It is also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much.

We apologize for the inconvenience that you had with the money exchange. Iberostar Grand Paraiso has a contract with a bank in order to provide the service of Money exchange to our guests. All these transactions need to be supported by a ticket and the copy of the passport in case of US dollars, this contract let us change any currency to pesos but not pesos to any other currency. We are sorry about the inconvenience.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I recently had our fifth stay at the Grand - in the last 3 years! We love all-inclusives, lying on the beach, overeating a bit, quality drinks, and quiet, and the Grand has it all. Most importantly though, the staff are really wonderful. Everyone, and I mean everyone, greats you with a pleasant "Hola!", and they are all happy to help at any time.

Check in: we've stayed in the oceanfront buildings the past couple of times, and I gather that registration is different (in room, rather than at the desk) than for the other rooms. It's gotten much quicker, and is now pretty painless and quick.

Facilities and grounds: so grand, and over the top, but we love it all. There are the occasional weird carpet stains, and a slightly musty smell, but it's never bother us here (it has elsewhere).

Beach: some rocks, some seaweed, but never a problem finding a nice clear path out to shoulder-level water. Beach service - not overbearing, but we never found ourselves waiting a long time between servicing.

Pool: it's salt water, which we find nice. Pool bar - nice, functional, surrounded by smokers if that bothers you.

Spa: I loved the spa, and it's a great place to relax if it's raining, or after the sun goes down. The gym is not bad.

Food: we prefer the buffet, and for a vegetarian, it's probably the best option. We usually only go for a few days, so don't really get bored of the options. The restaurants are, well, interesting. Usually much ado about hit or miss food. We've found that the Japanese was the best meal, followed by the Italian. The Gourmet wasn't our thing, and we never tried the Surf and Turf. Lobster abounds throughout the resort, especially lunch, and we think that the preparation has markedly improved over the past couple of visits (could be overdone before).

Bars: good quality booze! Ask for palomitas in the lobby bar.

Entertainment: Go to at least one show, but don't go with expectations. They try hard, and the theater is very nice.

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to write your kind comment about your recently stay in our hotel and delighting us with your visit once more time. We are very happy to read about your positive impressions and your compliments regarding our team, facilities, your room, the pool, gym and restaurants.

It is our constant endeavor to offer our discerning travelers luxury experiences through our commitment to quality service and keep welcoming wonderful repetitive guests like you and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for praising our friendly staff who is very dedicated to their work with great dedication to customer satisfaction.

On behalf of the team, thank you for your gracious comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We just returned from our eight trip to this top of the line resort. We were treated like royality by all the staff everywhere we went. We talked to many people and not one person had anything bad to say about THE GRAND. What everyone is saying is correct, This is the best.

Room Tip: If you can fit the ocean front in your cost it is worth the price. Location, location, location
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with other travelers.

It is good to know that you had a great experience, and that our staff were part of it. We always try to pamper our guests and we are happy to read that you felt like royalty.

Last but not least, thank you very much for your loyalty, we really appreciate that you consider us on the top of the line.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Quality Manger
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

"They serve lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner, everyday, 7 days a week".

That was the selling point which I was sold on the idea of going to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso by my wife. We could quite easily have paid considerably less to stay at the Lindo instead, but no, lobster everyday was the deciding factor.

As always, wife does all the research prior to the holiday, I simply "tag along" and enjoy the ride. Often, I would have many misconceptions of the places I go to, or I might have misheard certain details prior to the trip, then it would be a surprise!

So I was pleasantly surprised when we were the first ones to be let off the connecting shuttle bus from Cancun airport as it drops holidaymakers off at their respective hotels/ resorts. Normally, we would be the last but a very speedy 1/2hr coach ride from the airport to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso gets the thumbs up from me.

After a very speedy and welcoming check in, we were off on a little wander. I couldn't help but to notice that there weren't anyone else around!! It was like we had the place all to ourselves. It was actually a bit surreal.

Jetlagged + hungry, we were the first ones at the buffet restaurant most days. We arrived on a Wednesday and the missus already knew that Wednesday night = Super duper seafood night. It certainly did not disappoint... you walk in and right in front of you is a huge tray of Alaskan king crab legs, a bit further down, about dozen brown crab claws, lobsters... if you're not into the cold stuff they also cook you lobsters on the hotplate, pretty sure they had scallops as well. Tried hard not to come across as a fat-greedy pig, instead of overloading my first plate, I simply went back for seconds, and thirds etc... I'm not a dessert person, but they had masses and masses of desserts, it does make me wonder what they do with all the leftovers? Oh, and they also had a pretty impressive range of sushi on the night. My mind was pretty blown at this stage. I polished off a fair amount of fruit from their fruit section which had guava and starfruit and I was pretty much ready to hit the sack.

The main building to block 72 is very big, airy and spacious. Having watched the TV program "Hotel Impossible", I have the urge to run my finger across surfaces and look for imperfections. The Iberostar Grand Paraiso is such a big place, and if you look hard enough you will find bits that need a new coat of paint, a fixture that needs straightening or a couple of tiles that's missing from the pool. It would be unfair to make these criticisms because you see cleaners and repairmen constantly working.

Anyhow, there are a few quirks in the design of our room. Personally, I wasn't partial to the separate his & her faucet bathroom design and the taps were also funny (I can't be the first person to mention this, surely). There probably is a perfectly good reason why the mosquito netted door to the balcony opens the opposite direction to the glass door, but I found it rather cumbersome.

However, the room is modern/ clean/ spacious. You get wifi in the room which is a requirement now for all good hotels, and it ran at a decent speed (wifi stretches to the beach too which is fab). The bed is huuuuge and super comfortable. The aircon is efficient and never noisy. The flatscreen TV had HDMI sockets so I could review my daily video footage at the end of the day. Our balcony overlooked the tranquillity pool which also has a sit-in basket thingy suspended from the ceiling. I swung about in that quite a few times it was quite fun & comfortable. We had a million electrical devices to charge and there weren't that many power outlets, so do bring some adapters.

The other 4 "lesser" hotels are not that far from the Grand if you want to walk, but if it's really hot and sticky or you are in a hurry then you just need tell concierge and they will arrange to have you driven to the other hotels in one of their buggies. You can even have them come collect you too which is super handy especially if you have been out to Playa del Carmen all day and have just been dropped off at Lindo by the people carrier.

As great as the Grand is, you've paid for the access to all the hotels so you might as well go to them and enjoy what they have to offer. One particular afternoon, we were wandering through one of the other hotels and were notified that they're having a beach party with the promise of paella. We walked down to the beach and there was a great party atmosphere which you won't find at the Grand. It was a nice change of pace if you want it but the same can't be said about the quality of food or the attention to detail from the staff; while it's perfectly acceptable, but seriously they do not compare to the Grand. I don't know how many extra years of training they have to get to work at the Grand or how much more they get paid, the Grand is the bees knees when it comes to service. Case in point: I'm in the buffet and I've got my food making my way back to my table with a big grin on my face. The manager comes over and offers to carry my plate for me. I'm in my 30s, is that overbearing? I did notice the more elderly did take him up on this offer so I wasn't getting special treatment. =)

Another thing. Does housekeeping spy on the guests? I say this because they are ninja with their turndown service. Sometimes we don't give them much of an opportunity to turn down our room. Sometimes we might give them an hour between us stepping out and going back in, and unless you've put the do not disturb sign out, they'll have your room done. (They even acknowledge your do not disturb sign with a note if that's what you have). On the night of our anniversary, again, didn't give them much time between us heading out for dinner and coming back to the room, they ran our jacuzzi bath, left a trail of rose petals to the bed + champers on ice.

I know I'm rambling so I'll just finish with the shuttle service to Playa del Carmen. You take the buggy to Lindo because that's where the people carrier leaves from, I think it's 4 or 5 times a day. It carries about a dozen passengers, but I was told if there are more they simply send for another vehicle. You pay 50 pesos or a US$5 per head when you get on and the trip takes about 20 mins. Do you homework like my wife did prior to heading out there so you know where the best places are to eat & drink if you wanna try something different from what the hotel has to offer as they are not on the main touristy paths.

Other random thoughts as bullet points:
- The beach is great, no need to look for an empty deck chair there are always loads.
- Head down to the beach for sunrise/ sunset, it's awesome.
- I have never felt the sea so warm.
- Great place for animal lovers, you see peacocks, lizards, coatis strolling around all the time.
- Use the gym, no one else ever seems to do so, so you'll have it all to yourself.
- The a la carte restaurants weren't at the same level as everything else, keep your expectations in check.
- Order a lobster bellini at breakfast, try all their juices.
- Check out the lazy river & the wave pool at the other hotels for something different.
- Download "MapsWithMe" onto your cellphone then you won't get lost when you're out.
- Go to the mini shopping centre in the resort and eat the stuff there as well. (It was actually quite a sorry sight when we went there a few times because it just doesn't get much foot traffic, day or night).
- The bureau de change booths in town vary greatly with their exchange rates, compare before you commit. Spend local money, as not everyone does US$ and you' tend to get a poor deal.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for your trust.

We are very glad that your third stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso was as enjoyable as you expected. It is very gratifying for us to learn that you were completely satisfied with every aspect of your stay. Your feedback provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so much that you will happily return, which, in fact, is one of the biggest compliments a hotel can hope for.

We look forward to seeing you back and again.

Best Regards,
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We travelled to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for our wedding, late Oct. First impressions were: WOW! What a beautiful hotel. Facilities are amazing. Check in was our first interaction with staff, where we were offered drinks and the staff was absolutely charming. Our room in Building 71 overlooked the Ocean and was steps (literally) to the beach.

The beach was clean and had plenty of chairs and beds to choose from. Even though we had many days of rain, that simply did not matter as the hotel is gorgeous with lots to keep you busy.

The buffet is by far the best all inclusive buffet we've seen. Having travelled to 9 different all inclusives, this one is top notch, especially for an AI resort. If you can't find a variety of things to eat here, I'm not too sure where you eat normally. We really liked the Buffet for dinner and preferred it for our meals, we didn't really care for the A-la-carte restaurants, though the experience was nice, the selection at the buffet was much appreciated. TONS of seafood and meats, though that is not my thing, as a vegetarian (or "flexitarian" as I became on this trip!) and a picky eater, there was options to choose from, including a variety of Gluten free. The food only started to become repititive by our 9th or 10th day, pretty impressive as I am usually tired of the food by day 4 or so...

We reccommend taking advantage of the room service. We loved eating breakfast in our rooms at our chosen time in the morning. Or having a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us at night.
The individual concierges in the buildings are fantastic and truly add to this hotel's 5-star experience.

The drinks are brand label alcohol and mixes. The wines are actually quite tasty! But protip: Daniel at the lobby bar makes the best drinks.

Our only problem at this resort involved our wedding, which we do believe to be an individual experience and WOULD reccommend this resort to anyone looking at it for their own ceremony. We don't wish to write it here as we do not believe it is a reflection of the resort as a whole.

Enough cannot be said of the staff at this resort and how they go above and beyond in everyway to ensure you have the best time. They really do make this hotel as fantastic as it is. nds with the staff and we hope to come back here again next year. 10 days was just not enough!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on Trip advisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent wedding.

We are delighted to hear that you had an unforgettable experience with us and we will pass on the message to the team. We thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back at Iberostar Grand!

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I will start by saying this is the first all inclusive hotel I have ever stayed at but, the reviews of this property overrode any trepidation I had. It is expensive to stay here and I had high expectations.

Let me begin by giving you the overall impression. It's big, grounds are taken care of but the property could use some painting and freshening up. Lots of flaking paint, water stains, worn, faded rugs, furniture was an odd mixture of contemporary and traditional...many pieces showing their age. You get the idea. I will agree with one reviewer here...the mats for the lounge chairs are thin, hard and uncomfortable...not luxurious in any way...I doubled them up and it sort of worked. The beach and main pool area were very pretty...I didn't go to the Serenity pool because the walkway over there from the main pool had a strong rotten egg smell...an adequate deterrent. The hotel also had a lot of water leaks from rain getting in from the ceilings. It was also off putting that even after sunset...many of the chandeliers in the entryway to the main building were not on...kind of desolate looking. Perhaps they were conserving energy? The gym was small and hot but, adequate for my needs.

The rooms themselves were large, very comfortable with private balconies. This was a plus. When we checked in...I asked for an upgrade since we were celebrating an anniversary. I was told the hotel was at capacity (didn't see many people though) so they couldn't do an upgrade. It was okay...we were checking in early (2pm) so I was happy they had a room ready. My happiness was short lived once we arrived at the room...it was nice but smelled like a musty basement. We asked for another room and were told we would need to wait an hour. Ok...we had our suits and despite the gray skies...headed for the hot tub to wait for our room. We were told an hour later after we called to check in that the new room wouldn't be avail until 5:30pm. If check in is at 3, I found it hard to believe that at 3:30pm there was no other room ready. Even more annoying was the lack of manager involvement despite my request to speak to one. We did get an "ocean view" room by the Serenity pool in the main building...view wasn't great...barely any ocean to look at but, at this point we wanted to get settled. No butler came that day after our room was switched.

The staff...(with the exception of the check in staff)...they were wonderful and really aim to please...all in all a pleasant bunch. Our butler Fernando who was assigned to us the next day did his best to make up for our check in debacle...he was wonderful to deal with. Natalia, our concierge was a pleasure as well. We did get massages at the spa at the shopping center and it was awesome. One issue we did have was how long it took to get things brought up to us. Over an hour or more in many cases. I don't blame the staff, I just don't think management handles things in an efficient manner. We were also put off by the hotel's unwillingness to make change. At the rates they charge, having that amenity should be a no brainer. Especially since the staff depends on tips.

Now for the big one...food. The only restaurant worth eating at was Haiku...the Japanese restaurant. It was ok...sushi was sub par but hibachi items were acceptable. Nick & Toni's was a letdown. Didn't eat at the the other places based on what fellow travelers said. Had buffet for breakfast and it was fine. The lunch buffet wasn't great but, ask for fajitas...they will make them for you and they were decent. Dinner buffet was forgettable. As some pics on here show paella and steak grilling by the pool...I didn't see any of that taking place. Drinks were hit or miss...pool bar closed at 6. Kind of early.

I was not impressed by the Grand and will go as far to say definitely let down. I was not the only one as many of the other guests felt the same way. Overpaid and underwhelmed. I really wanted to love this place but, it didn't live up to the hype. The saving grace was that we didn't pay $3000.00 on a package like many others who stayed for 4 days because we used JetBlue points. We tipped the staff very well because they deserved it but, I don't think we will be returning. Sorry.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments.

We are glad that you found the hotel is relaxing, clean and the employees friendly. Your special mention of Fernando, Natalia and other members of staff is also greatly appreciated; we recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, so they will receive your comments as a great motivational tool. We aim to create memories that last a lifetime and give unforgettable experiences to our guests, so we are pleased to see that we reached our goal in this respect.

However, it remains in us the concern that some of your expectations were not fulfilled. We are certainly aware that although we always try our best, there is always room for improvement. Concerning the room upgrade, as we mention to all of our guests that request any particular room or upgrade, those requests are subject to availability at the time of their arrival. Please, rest assured that if availability allows it, we always do our best to meet your requirements once you arrive. We are regret that on this occasion it was not possible and that you had to wait.

In reference to the maintenance of our resort, we would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. However, at times, certain areas take longer to fix because we are open all year around and we do not want to disturb our guests, so we are gathering efforts to speed up this process, thus having all areas in perfect shape for you. Thank you for bringing up this important point.

We are also concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service concerning our food quality. We have already shared it with our Executive Chef for his consideration. He continuously strives to offer the best quality so your comments will be useful. If you could give us more information on what items you did not like, it would be greatly appreciated, as our guests’ feedback help us achieve our main goal, which is your complete satisfaction.

We hope that your experience on this visit will not dissuade you to stay with us again; we hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and show you in future visits that we improve day after day thanks to our guests’ feedback.

Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at this resort in April 2013 after staying at the sister property Iberostar Grand Bavaro in the Dominican Republic in October 2012. This resort is much larger than its counterpart in the DR. The main pool is massive and looks like an extension of the ocean from the main buffet. The grounds are lovely and well maintained. The staff is exceptional in every way. We didn't see much of our butler but we aren't the type to use that service. We did upgrade to an ocean front room and the view was worth it. Our biggest issue was that the room did not stay very cool, which we found made it difficult to sleep at night because of the heat and the humidity. Otherwise rooms were beautiful and spotless. I found the food to be of better quality at the Paraiso than at the Bavaro, but the menus are essentially the same between the two hotels. I thought the breakfast buffet at the Paraiso was phenomenal.

The Star Friends are fun and engaging here but not a lot of people get involved in the activities (at least not when we went). You never feel hounded to play or participate, but I would encourage you to get to know some of the Star Friends as they will make you feel welcome and all of them are really fun and lovely people.

I had a short massage on the trip and the spa facilities and staff were great.

The beach is very rocky (reef offshore); keep that in mind if you plan to swim. Beach in front of the resort is clean an beautiful. Be careful going off the resort up the beach. A lot of trash washes up on shore and I almost stepped on an uncapped syringe in the sand.

Overall, this was a great stay. We will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel during your last vacation.

It is our biggest pleasure read that you really enjoyed the service, food, facilities and beach, this is the reason for what we work every day. We are glad to read that you did the upgrade to the ocean front and gave you the opportunity to felt the sensation of the first breeze in the morning looking the Caribbean Sea on the paradise.

For your next visit we would like to suggest you call the concierge service from 7:00 am until 11:00 pm so they will help you verify all the options available regarding the A/C in your room. We have a standard temperature in the rooms but it can be regulated.

Iberostar has some of the best chefs in the tourism industry and your appreciation is proof of it. All the staff really enjoys working here and we are so happy that you allow us to be part of your great experience. We have a strong compromise with the environment by taking care of our beaches for that reason we are part of the Green Globe certification working together with all our guests.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Iberostar Grand Paraiso hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!