“Wonderful stay in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Highland, Illinois
“Wonderful stay in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I chose the Grand for our very first trip to Mexico. We had friends who had just stayed there in August and highly recommended it. So, from their recommendation and reading reviews we went ahead and booked the Grand for September 20-26th. I then read some negative reviews and was starting to worry. I can now say I was worried for nothing. The place is incredible.

When we first arrived we were greeted with a cold face cloth and a choice of champagne or a tropical drink. Our room was not yet ready so we headed over to La Brisa for lunch. The place is massive and at first a little intimidating, but it didn’t take long to familiarize ourselves.
Since the weather was beautiful we sat outside and soaked up the gorgeous view while we enjoyed our lunch. I had the shrimp fajitas which became my lunchtime staple.

We made our way back to the lobby for our room key. I’ll be honest, I was hoping to get an oceanfront room but availability was low since bldg 70 was under maintenance. We were given room 7283 which overlooked the tranquility pool and was a gorgeous view. The room was great. I appreciated the closet space and the double vanities. Housekeeping did a wonderful job every day. We had turndown service all but one night (they knocked on the door late one evening and we were already in bed). The a/c worked well except our last night, don’t know if that was a power issue. The bed was very comfortable, wish we knew about the pillow menu earlier.

Room service was great. We ordered coffee and pastries several mornings to get our day started. We ordered in lunch once (burgers, fries and chips/guac) when we didn’t feel like getting out because of the rain and it was delicious.

The food, oh the food, was absolutely wonderful. We both said to each other, we never had one bad meal and I consider myself picky. As far as buffets go, these were every bit as good as buffets I’ve had at the high end hotels in Vegas. There was so much variety anyone would be pleased. Various meats, fishes, fresh fruit/vegetables, fresh baked breads/pastries, juices, made to order omelets, crepes, seafood, grilled lobster, etc. I don’t know if many know this but there are also menus available at the buffets. My favorite for breakfast was the lobster blinis, lunch was the shrimp fajitas. There was an outside grill every day at lunch that offered up ribeyes or lamb chops. Domingo did an awesome job every day!
The a la carte restaurants were terrific. We tried the Italian, Surf & Turf and Japanese. Did not make it to the French restaurant since we weren’t feeling well. We loved our appetizers, entrees and desserts at the restaurants. My husband especially loved his dessert of bananas tempura at the Japanese restaurant. We also loved the Mayan coffee we had after one meal.

Drinks were also very good, used top shelf liquor. If you wanted it extra strong (which I asked for several times) they were happy to oblige. My favorite places were the pool bar and lobby bar. Wish I remembered the bartenders names, but they were all nice and friendly.

Service/staff was outstanding. Everyone we came across from housekeeping, star friends, waiters, maintenance always greeted us by saying “Hola, buenos dias”, even the groundskeepers. We had excellent beachside service in front of bldg 71, we noticed in front of 70 it could be lacking some days. Poolside service was very good too. We never waited long for a waiter/waitress to take our drink order. Same goes for inside the restaurants as well. Drinks were refilled frequently, dirty dishes taken away as soon as you were finished. I have to give a shout out to a couple of our favorite breakfast/lunch waiters Jorge and David.

The grounds are beautiful surrounding the Grand. They are always cleaning and maintaining the grounds. We loved just walking around enjoying the view. The beach is rocky out front, but walk down a bit and you can find a clear area to get in the water.

We loved the Spa, my husband enjoyed the gym and worked out there every morning while I sat in the hot tub or swam in the indoor pool.

We also swam in the tranquility pool area twice but our favorite hangout was the main pool. This is where most people seem to be and where the majority of the activity is at. Star friends do a good job of making sure you’re having fun and are always walking around trying to get you to join in on a game/activity or just talking to you finding out how you are enjoying your stay. We had a blast joining in the water balloon fight on Monday. We only caught one show, The Beatles tribute, which was pretty good. We loved the Stars Under the Stars on Wednesday night, such fun!

The décor of the Grand, I read some people complaining about it saying it was over the top and extreme. Yes it is, but we loved it and found it jaw droppingly beautiful. Maybe it just isn’t for some people, but we had seen pictures of the place before arriving and knew what to expect. When we first saw it, we immediately thought of a combination of Venetian, Caesar’s Palace and Bellagio in Vegas. We thought the Grand was gorgeous.

All in all, we loved every aspect of the Grand and vowed to one another to make this an annual trip.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony and since the grounds are all gorgeous, any room will have a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for such a nice review for Iberostar Grand Paraiso, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share with others your experience.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: beautiful rooms, beautiful views, the Spa services, a la cart restaurants, food and beverages, the shows, specially about our friendly and efficient staff, it is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours.

We are terribly concerned about the problem with your A/C the last night, we always try our very best to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible, nevertheless, we are pleased to hear that despite having this issue, you were able to enjoy your stay with us.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

3,230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Polish first
Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my first experience with an all-inclusive resort and my first trip to Mexico; my husband has experienced both several times and said that the Iberostar definitely put the other resorts to shame.
We knew going to Mexico was risky in September, but even with a few days of bad weather, there was still a ton of things to do at the Grand. I was really excited to see the full schedule of activities (that were included in the price) every single day; to top it off, there is a fantastic show at the theater every single night.
The service here will blow you away; every single employee is extremely friendly and will go above and beyond to help you. One example of this happened a few days before we left; I unfortunately got sick and was in need of some medication from the store in the front lobby. My husband got a quick ride on a golf cart up to the lobby to purchase this. A few days later, our butler called to see if I was feeling better.

Overall our experience was fantastic, but here are a few negatives to consider:
-the outdoor hallways are very loud even with the inner door shut in our room; I woke up early several times to housekeeping noise. I would recommend using a white noise app on your phone or iPad which is what we did and I slept like a baby.
-because we went during hurricane season, it rained a lot (naturally). Some of the flooring is very slippery; bring rubber soled shoes or flip flops with you. I almost fell several times when I tried to wear something else.
-definitely don't drink the water and wash your hands frequently; you don't want to get what I had! It's no fun to be sick at an all inclusive!
-right when you arrive, make sure to make reservations at the sit-down restaurants. we missed out on some of the time slots and had to go to dinner at 8:30 which is a little late for us.

Positives (far outweigh the negatives):
-the service is top notch; very friendly staff!!!
-the STAR Friends were fantastic! They were hard-working, outgoing, friendly and fun! They remembered our names after the first time we met and got us involved in lots of fun activities: salsa lessons, archery, pool volleyball and other games, karaoke, bingo, yoga, and more! They were always fun to talk to- thanks to Christian, Eduardo, Paul, Jenny, Andy, and Abraham for making our honeymoon active and fun!
-the golf course is beautiful; we played 9 holes on a very hot day, but the drink cart brought us lots of water to stay hydrated. Golf is included (not the carts, clubs or balls) only when you stay at the Grand.
-The buffets were outstanding and it was fun trying new foods, but there were always American favorites as well. The Mexican buffet with the mariachi band and tequila tasting was our favorite!
-The options for different pools (quiet and party pool) was great! On the day I wanted to read and relax we went to the quiet pool; on the days where we wanted to socialize and participate in games, we headed to the other pool. The pool bar was always a good time, especially with Jonathan and Addihel (not sure about the spelling, sorry!). We met fun people from around the country as well as some people from Ohio, too.
-Just like everyone else says, upgrade to an ocean front room; the view is beautiful!
-Maybe it was because we went in September, but the beach was NEVER crowded; we always got a chair and hut no matter what time we went down.

Before we left for this trip, we planned to do lots of excursions outside the resort, but after seeing how much the Iberostar Grand had to offer, we never left! You get your money's worth at this resort!

Dear Guest,

It is very gratifying for us to learn that you were completely satisfied with every aspect of your stay, from the accommodation to the facilities, location and the friendliness and helpfulness of our team, and that you particularly liked the quality and variety of our gastronomy. We sincerely thank you for your kind and detailed review.

Your evaluation is really important to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services at different time frames, and your feedback helps us improve on a daily basis by identifying our strengths and weaknesses.

We are sorry to hear that you got sick over your stay and hope you are completely recovered.

Concerning the noise of your room we are sorry to hear that you experienced some problems with it. We will let the Housekeeping Department know about this situation, to make the corresponding modifications so that our guests will not be disturbed.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Trip advisor, It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

April/May 2013 was our 2nd trip to Iberostar Grand, our first trip was amazing hence our 2nd trip this year. My wife and I were there to celebrate our anniversary and spent 2 weeks at this resort. I hate to be 'that' guy who registers a complaint months later but I am doing this in part to find out more information. I've been reading the reviews and have come across the exact same complaints we had are the same as others leaving bad reviews. So I have to ask, does the Iberostar really consider these complaints and attempt to fix them or do they have someone giving blanket apologies and move on to the next person? Our room was ocean front, we met our butler the first day as he brought us to our room etc. and in the 2 weeks we were there we saw him 3 times. We barely got a nod as we were walking to our room. While I golfed my wife would go out to the beach to lay in the sun. Since we were ocean front she would watch people walk out and put their towels down at 7 am and often not returning until after lunch. In my opinion this is completely unacceptable, this is the exact reason we do not take cruises. The resort needs to post signs that if items are unattended for more than 1 hour then your items will be sitting in the area where you grab your towels. The first two days we had great service in our room. We had fresh towels, stocked fridge, additional water let (as requested) and our bed turn down by the time we returned to our room at 9pm. By day 3 that was no longer the case. I had to chase down whoever I could find to have our beds turned down and clean towels put in our room. For those who think I am lazy and can't turn down my own bed I really don't care. When you pay $12,000 for 2 weeks in Mexico your expectations are a bit higher. I requested multiple times to have our room serviced between 7-8pm at the latest, It just never happened. One night my wife was already asleep when they came banging on the door at 10:30pm, not acceptable. Going back to laying on the beach, for our building the beach area is sort of split in half. There is a server on both sides of the seating area. On a couple of occasions the area away from the volleyball area had 4 people laying out there. The area near the nets was FULL including a very large wedding party. Do you think we could get the server standing on the steps to help us with drinks, NO! We ended up spending most of our time by the ocean because the pool had a green slime to the bottom along with disgusting body scum, oil and I'm not sure what else floating in the pool
On a positive note, every bartender, server, waitress we came across was very professional and a real pleasure. We enjoyed every one of the specialty restaurants and made sure every dinner was at one of them. We did take 2 nights and ate dinner at the buffet because it was 'Mexican night'. My wife used the spa services and was extremely pleased with the variety of options. The golf course is outstanding, if you plan on golfing daily I highly suggest you bring your clubs. The cost of renting them for the week was more than a new set of clubs.
As my wife and I start planning our vacation the Iberostar Grand is still an option but not if we experience the same as we did last year. I have heard that they are under new management, is this a rumor or true? I would also like to know just how many people experienced the same service as what we experienced?
One last comment, the reason I am not giving them a 5 on service is due to the lack of servers by the ocean, the lack of attention from our butler and awful service with our room.

Room Tip: If able upgrade to Ocean view, sitting out on the balcony listening to the waves is wonderful. I wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the upmost level of guest satisfaction. We have a guest service team who are available 24/7 for our Grand guests exclusively, to take care of all of the comments and feedback provided because your satisfaction is our main goal.

On behalf of all the staff, may we thank you for giving us your observations. We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. especially with the butler service. We would like to have the opportunity to explain how our butler service works at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. Our butlers are in charge of a section of rooms, normally around 25 to 35 rooms each. Prior to all arrivals they check the rooms to guarantee our high quality standards. Once our guests check in, they greet them personally in the room to indicate how everything works and give our guests a brief explanation of our services and facility locations. During the process they will assist our guests with any special requirements including the customization of their minibar, the selection of their pillows from our menu and the arrangement of any preferable time for their room cleaning and turn down service. They check your minibar daily and deliver your newspaper.

Overall they will assist with anything our guests might need during their stay 24/7 when they are required. Our guests only need to press the Butler button on your telephone and he will appear at their door step. At check out they make a final inspection of the room to verify our guests do not forget any personal items.

Regarding the sun chairs, after receiving complaints about this issue, we have assigned a Pool Concierge supervisor who takes care of the area, tracks our guests, and advises them that it is not possible to reserve them. We have also acquired approximately 100 sun chairs to have many more available for all of our guests.

Concerning the turn down and beach service we really want to offer you a sincere apology as this is not representative of the service we offer. We take note of all our guests’ comments and send them to each department head, who are expected to take corrective actions. In this case we will let the Housekeeping and Food & Beverage Department Managers know about these situations and work on them.

Regarding your comment about the pool, please let us clarify that during the days you were staying at our hotel one of our pool filters was damaged. We replaced the damaged filter and had our pool attendants cleaning the walls and bottom of the pool. Please do accept our apologies about these two incidents which, understandably, caused discomfort to you.

We hope that you will visit us again sometime soon to see the changes we are making, thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully, soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We just returned from the Grand on Saturday - quite reluctantly as usual. This was our 6th visit to this incredible resort, and once again I can't imagine going anywhere else. This place has us so spoiled that I do not think I could visit any other Caribbean resort that could possibly compare to the Grand in the Riviera Maya. We have been to many other resorts and have finally decided there is no point in trying to go anywhere else. I love having access to the 4 other resorts on the complex, as well as complimentary use of the amazing spa facilities and golf cart rides anywhere you would like to go. I was happy this visit to be able to take advantage of the free wi-fi now available across the entire resort.

As I think others have stated on many occasions, the true gem of this resort is the staff. Everyone is so friendly, and I look forward to seeing them again and again on our visits. Victor is now in charge of all of the butlers and his talent for developing these individuals shows. Victor has always taken such great care of us and his attention to detail is so very much appreciated. He remembers us each visit and makes a point to find us and say hello. Charley was in another building on this visit but he specifically remembered our preferences and made it a point to have out mini bar stocked to our liking. We are made to feel "special" every time we go to this resort and this is a quality where I believe the Iberostar Grand truly stands out. And once again, Mirna took such great care of us at the tranquility pool. Thank you again Iberostar for ensuring that we had an amazing vacation with a week of pampering fit for a queen. We will return as soon as we can - hopefully in January...

Room Tip: All of the rooms are identical except for the presidential suite and the 10 or so honeymoon villas...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking your time to write your kind comment on Trip Advisor. We are so glad to have had the opportunity to receive you in our hotel again.

At the Iberostar Grand Paraiso we take pride in offering our guests luxurious accommodations and the very best in food and beverages. Your preference is motivating as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guests’ high expectations over and over.

We are happy you were so pleased with our new wifi service. These services are implemented thanks to our guests’ suggestions.

Thank you again for your loyalty, It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you in January with the challenge of fulfilling and exceeding your expectations.

NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

If you find this helpful please click the helpful link below.

Things to know:

There is beachside food and drink service.

They offer many top shelf liquers such as patron and belvedere.

All buffet restaurants offer lobster or steaks made fresh almost every single day.

The pool is more amazing than the pictures show.

The beach is unforgettable! Completely swimmable - clean and very little riff-raff.

Mens dress code is fairly strict, womens not at all (silly rule).

Entertainment is actually entertaining unlike most resorts.

Tons and tons to do if you get the schedule when you first check in.

No sales for timeshares here (hooray).

You can go to 4 other resorts with your wristband.

Your bed will be comfortable.

The resort is expansive, they do offer rides to and from on golf carts.

These people do work on tips
regardless of what you read, you can exchange american money at the lobby for small denominations anytime.

The restaurants are all what i would consider excellent! I have very high standards.

Service here is everything they say it is or you read about. My
only complaint is the lack of good english speaking employees. It seems to be a barrier at times.

The resort is mint but has some wear to it so dont expext perfection. It is extremely clean.

The spa is expensive, the one at the shopping center looks alright.. I would probably have gone there for a massage and saved 100$.

There is a juice bar in the spa.. Little hidden secret.

Concierge / butler service is not quite as advertised. Tip well: get better service. Ask for a bottle and food requests to your room the first day. Set expectations high.

Get a towel and some sandals on you beach chairs around 6 am or you'll miss out on the best spots.

Dont tip anyone for the week, their schedules are strange and some work for 10 days and have a week off!

The strip mall is crap, shopping is lousy. I wouldnt go there - shop at the airport... Way cheaper and its like a mexican mall. Trust me save it for the departure.

You wont figure out what days they serve buffetts at which places because they dont even know. Roll with it.

Pool bar is happening around 3-5 everyday! Go there for excitement.

They use us power so no adapters necessary. When you see the plugs your going to think OMG... Looks like something foreign, just plug it in.. Works fine.

Upgrade oceanfront when you get there saves money and is negotiable as long as they have open rooms. I would not gamble in high season. There are only so many. We paid about 400$ for the week for king oceanview. WHEN THEY SAY 2 QUEEN BEDS, THEY MEAN FULL! Dont take that deal - you'll be on top of your spouse in a bad way.

Ocean front rooms have excellent balconies with amazing swings.

Bring towels to the beach to put over the chair mattresses.. They stink and are like sandpaper.

Sun is so hot.. Youll get sun poisoning easily if you dont get a palapa for shade if your remotely fair skinned. The pool has lots of shady spots.

The ride here from the airport is quick and uneventful. Not like other crazy countries.

You will get the " revenge" if you drink the water out of the glass i dont care what they say. You may get it just from the food. Bring immodium no matter what! I would take it just so my vacation isnt spoiled. I was stricken but a nice gentleman gave me immodium and I was much better. I was very careful all week, very surprising. I was not throwing up, thank god. Its a problem in Mexico period, dont hold it against these guys.

Overall - this place is amazing. Its was relaxing, romantic, breathtaking, adventurous, and fun. Everything we wanted and needed after 10 years vacationing with kids and coming alone this time! You will have a great vacation if you stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to thank you for the review you have written for the benefit of the Trip Advisor community.

There is immense pleasure of having a guest such as yourself speak in such high regard for our Hotel. Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the head managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We thank you for your support and above all your recommendation that makes our team proud.

We hope to see you back !

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand September 27 - October 2. The weather was beautiful, the property was gorgeous and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. We ate at the Japanese, Surf and Turf and Italian restaurants; all were very good but the Japanese had to be our favorite. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I wasn't disappointed. I highly recommend the omelets and crepes with Nutella. :) The lunch buffet was good with something special on the outdoor grill daily. My favorite had to be the shrimp tacos. They also had tacos/fajitas, lamb chops and lobster – all very good.

My boyfriend proposed on the beach the second night and had been coordinating with the photographers before we arrived to capture the special moment. David took photos and they turned out beautifully! I was extremely surprised and am thrilled to have photos to share with family and friends. That night after dinner we had a bottle of champagne in our room, rose petals everywhere and a bubble bath waiting for us. It was perfect.

We didn't have issues finding chairs at the beach or pool; I would guess they were about 50% capacity. Floats and sunscreen are available at the towel hut as well as books and magazines. We had no problem ordering drinks around either of the pools or on the beach and the guys at the pool bar were great.

Everything was immaculate, people were constantly cleaning and working on improvements. We wanted to upgrade to an ocean front room but they didn’t have any available as one of the buildings was closed for renovations. Our room was in a great location between the lobby and beach with easy access to the restaurants. My only complaint has to be the lights in the room. They were on a motion sensor so if you were in the bathroom/shower and the other person left or didn’t move enough all the lights would go off. When you moved the lights in the main room would come back on but not the bathroom. You would have to get out of the shower and go to the hallway to push the button for the lights to come back on – this was EXTREMELY frustrating. The other thing I would change would be to have a ceiling fan over the bed instead of the sitting area. They offer free Wi-Fi, the signal in the room wasn’t that great but in the lobby, on the beach and by the pool phones and iPad worked great.

We played golf twice, the course is beautiful and well maintained! I’m not much of a golfer but enjoyed the scenery and took a ton of pictures. We saw several coatis and iguanas along the way.

We played both water and beach volleyball with Alex – great time. We also spoke with a few of the other Star Friends who were extremely friendly but I can’t remember their names.

We had an amazing vacation and would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in 7248, central location over looking the quiet pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review shared on this website. On behalf of our Management and staff we want to say it was a great honor to have served you.

We appreciate your kind words pertaining our rooms, food, beverages, service, pool and Beach. We are also glad to know the breakfast was of your liking. Your comments and suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that they will be taken into consideration.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Warren,RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Grand lives up to its name... been to over 20 Iberostar resorts and you really are treated like a star. What can I say paradise found.... the best resort I have ever been to..... hands down in all catagories 10, 10 ,10.....A special thanks to Gabriel Rodriguez & Rafael Carmona, two very professional managers that make sure your vacation is a most memorable one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on trip advisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent stay!

We are delighted to hear that you had an unforgettable experience with us and we will pass on the message to Mr Carmona and Mr Rodriguez.

We thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back at Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!