“A disappointing holiday” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Merseyside
“A disappointing holiday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Apologies for the delay in sending this review. We spent 2 weeks at this resort at the end of May this year, and having enjoyed some good holidays in numerous all inclusive hotels in Mexico over the last 15 years, we were really looking forward to celebrating our ruby wedding anniversary in one the top rated hotels in this region.
To put some perspective on this review, I am comparing this hotel to the Moon Palace, Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, as well as the Iberostar Lindo amongst many others in Mexico and elsewhere.
There were many positives aspects to this hotel :-
The rooms were the best we have stayed in, we especially enjoyed the large balcony during the numerous wet days we experienced.
The service around the pools, and in the lobby bars was excellent.
The staff were pleasant and helpful without exception.
The quiet pool where we spent most of days was very relaxing, and enjoyable.
The evening shows and lobby entertainment were excellent and better than anywhere else we have stayed.
The negatives were few and far between, but unfortunately the standard of food lets this hotel down,and I have detailed my concerns below:
The concept of the cabanas is very good but the execution was poor, in that the mattresses were generally worn, left uncovered in the rain, thus unusable for hours until they have dried out.
The design of the single woven sunbeds is very poor and make an uncomfortable rest around the pool. I cannot remember any other hotel which leaves the sunbed mattresses out overnight to get wet, and accumulate dirt, so why do they do it in a five star hotel?

The food is very disappointing.
Neither myself nor my wife are fussy eaters and we both enjoy good quality food. So this is an important part of our holiday and we were especially looking forward to some the "gourmet prepared" food at this hotel.
Unfortunately, we were disappointed on many occasions at this hotel:
Breakfast was quite poor, other hotels are better. The fruit juices were watered down. The fresh doughnuts were hard, dry, or overcooked we gave up on these.
Lunch was very hit or miss. On some occasions the buffet restaurant provided some nicely prepared BBQ steaks, lobster, or shrimps, but on two occasions we were served uncooked lobster and shrimps, which we didn't eat.
Dinner at the buffet was on most occasions disgracefully poor. Every time I asked the counter Chef for a beef steak, or salmon steak, he proceeded to remove what appeared to be a cooked item from the heated display shelf, and started to reheat it or recook it on the griddle. I prefer my food cooked once, rather than twice, so on each occasion I refused the food. Hardly gourmet standard.
The vegetables were lukewarm at best.
The chilled seafood on the self service counter was not stored on ice, but merely at ambient temperature. This is a totally unacceptable practice and risks food safety.
The Japanese Restaurant was nothing special.
The Gourmet Restaurant was nothing special.
The Surf and Turf was very good, nice steaks, but please do not try to con me into buying an overpriced bottle of wine.
The Italian restaurant was just about OK. I ordered calamari, and was served one of the worst starters I have experienced, very chewy, and tasteless.
I could go on, and on, and on, ( some will say I have done,lol) but in summary we both felt that the food at this hotel looks amazing (style), but doesn't deliver in taste (substance).
When I read some of the reviews about how amazing the food is here, the fact that they serve lobster every day for lunch and dinner, seems to influence the review. I enjoyed the lobster, but it was not excellent and often lacked flavour, and it cannot disguise the the poor standard which we experienced.
I did take concerns to the customer services desk, and they stated that they would take the matter up with the Executive Chef. Hmmm, I will not risk a return.
They should send their Executive Chef to the Riu Palace to see how good food is prepared and served.
I could see how someone who was here for a short stay could see a five star hotel, but when your are here for two weeks, the flaws become apparent.
We shall not be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regards to your recent stay at our hotel.

We are glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our facilities and the service provided throughout your stay, we recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests.

We really appreciate your valuable feedback, which we previously received via email with very useful constructive criticism and suggestions, which our management replied and was thankful for. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food at the buffets and beverage quality. Our Executive Chef receives our guests’ feedback and he is constantly working on improving the different options presented to our guests.

In reference to the sun chairs, we already started to renovate all of them, at the pool and beach areas.

Once again, we really appreciate your feedback and would like to apologize for not being able to exceed all your expectations; we look forward to having another chance to welcome you back, under more favorable circumstances.

3,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Polish first
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband don and I have been together over 30 year's but weve only been married for 1 &1/2 yrs. We celebrated our many years together. And our honeymoon the staff was great they decorated our room honeymoon style with rose peddals, champagne & hot drawn bubble bath. We stayed for one week at the grand ( not long enough) but the hotel was great the resturants and food outstaning. great entertainment and superb staff we will definitely go back and have decided to makethe iberostar grand our preferred hotel of choice no matter where we travel. Don & Vanessa. WILSON Chester PA

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share with others your experience. We are delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful honeymoon and that you took the time to specify the highlights of your honeymoon: the decoration of the room, the champagne, the special bath and specially our staff, whom with we shall share that they have been part of your happiness.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your anniversary.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Paraiso for 5 days in August and we had a good time. It was about a 30 minute ride from the Cancun Airport so not too bad. The first two days we were there it poured and the staff told us this was their rain season:( However the last 3 days were gorgeous!

Every single person that worked at the hotel from the front desk to the landscapers were so incredably nice! Everyone spoke to you and made you feel so welcomed! The room bar was re stocked everyday and the maid cleaned the room twice a day in the morning and at night! The 24 hour room service was so great to have at 2 am! We only went to one show which was "Boogie Nights" and it was great entertainment! We went to the club 3 different nights and the music choice was not our first selection but it was still a good time!

I enjoyed all three pools (indoor, outdoor main and outdoor quiet pool). The beach was a bit rocky and the sand flies were a pain but overall the property was kept up very nicely. There were plenty of chairs and beds to lay on which was great! The Iberostar property is huge boasting 5 different hotels!! So we were not able to check them all out but we did go next door to the Maya and that hotel was so big and decorated so beautifully in Mayan decor. There was even a wave pool at the Maya which was a very nice feature. Due to the size of the Iberostar property you had to take a golf cart to get to each hotel, to the club, basketball courts and shopping center.

I only have two negative things, I was not that impressed with the food selection. I stayed at the Iberostar in Jamaica and the food there was AMAZING so I guess I was hoping for the same experience but was sadly disappointed! We ate at two of the themed restaurants the Meditteranian and the Steak House and the food at both places were presented very pretty on the plates but the actual taste was not so great. My husband likes his steak medium rare but his steak was still alive and sadly he was not able to enjoy it. The second negative is the hotel can definetly use a new paint job. You can tell this was the first Grand they built as it has seen better days paint wise and with all of the rain there were a lot of leaks in the main hall ceiling. The staff had towels and buckets laid out on the floor in the main hall to absorb the water.

Overall our stay was great and I would reccomend this hotel to any couple looking for a quiet relaxing vacation. However, I have to say that I think the Iberostar in Jamaica was much better and I will be back there again!

Room Tip: As soon as you arrive and check in go to the Concierge desk and make your dinner reservations for th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review. We are thrilled to have heard about the good vacation you recently enjoyed with us here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review. Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at this place which turned out to be a hideous disappointment and waste of time and money. My complaints are so vast that it would take too long to detail them all.

If you are looking for a luxurious five star holiday where you can relax in piece with a sophisticated clientele this is not the place for you. The main swimming pool is surrounded by loud speakers. WHEREVER you sit you are subject to the musical choices of the hotel which are played so loudly you can hear them over your own ipod. A request to have the music turned down was met with a rude and firm no. This meant I had to spend the rest of my holiday on the beach. The beach is infested with flies and the ocean bed covered in rock with so much seaweed they employ people to take it away. If you are looking for a clear crystal ocean you will be disappointed. The main pool is also used for various other activities such as boat races, water fights with people in fancy dress (?) and aerobics, all accompanied by even louder music and a compare with a microphone making yet more noise.

The other alternative to the main pool is a quiet pool to one side of the hotel that is so infested by mosquitoes due to the lack of breeze that few people use it. Mosquitoes are a massive problem throughout the hotel. No one uses the outdoor seating areas because they are so prevalent. My partner had around 20 bites by the second night. You will get bitten day and night regardless of spray. Forget having a drink on your balcony. They are in bedrooms and all interiors of the hotel. Said bites led to a visit to the on site doctor who can only be described as the most vile, belligerent “professional” I have ever encountered. She refused my partner any treatment whatsoever and is danger to anyone seeking medical help at this resort.

Other issues

• Toilet became blocked twice. Apparently this is a common occurrence and most guests will encounter this at some stage.
• Bath- jacuzzi part didn't work.
• Location- hotel is 45 mins from Cancun and 35 mins to the Cozemel. There is nothing close by and taxis take advantage of this. There is a hotel shuttle but is infrequent.
• Restaurants. Japanese was very good. Gourmet was laughable. They brought me boil in the bag sea bass, snipped off the top of the bag in front of me and left the bag on the plate!!
• Tips. A persistent and transparent attempt by all staff to get tips for everything from bringing me one coffee to offering me a towel. Once its established you are not a consistent tipper service plummets.
• We paid tips to ensure golf clubs were ready at reception on our departure. They were not ready and my partner had to run to the club house to get his clubs before we left.
• We asked a few times if the ATM charged. We were told no. In fact when we used it we had to pay $16 or else pay the hotel a similar amount to get some money changed. We could have changed our money in town for free but relied on the inaccurate information from the hotel staff who INSISTED on us paying their charge.
• Nightclub. The only night we attended seemed to be Mexican night with star friends taking centre stage with conga like antics. If you are looking for cool house/r&b type club stay away.
• Wifi stop working half way through our stay. We were then given a password to log on but from that point onwards I couldn't get a signal. Inexplicable after my phone worked for ten nights.
• Piano bar- again bombarded with super loud music from either a loud piano or worse the synthesizer duo playing holiday “classics” so loudly you had to shout a conversation.
• Staff forgot to fill the mini bar up on more than one occasion.
• Key card worked on some occasions and not others.
• There is a karaoke bar which sums up the atmosphere and clientele of this hotel.
• On the days in rained (and beware where were MANY) we asked for DVD’s which played so quietly we had to use subtitles to understand what was being said.

On awful awful place to stay. If it were not for a free upgrade I would have changed hotels. The response from management will give you some idea of what we had to deal with. If you have stayed at a genuine five star I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were disappointed every day as this resort failed to meet our expectations. This all inclusive resort only had two resturants opened each evening and they were over booked becaused they were understaffed. Everytime I tried to make a reservation I was told that the resturants were full. When we were able to get seated, the food was below average and my chair was either stained or had food left on it. Who wants to pay for an all inclusive vacation and be told that there was no room in the resturant? I would never return to any of these resturants if they were in my home town. The resturants were themed, Italian,Japanese, Gourmet, and Surf and Turf. Where was the Mexican resturant? We have traveled to 30 countries and have stayed at other resorts in this area and other areas of Mexico so I believe that we can make fair comparisons. At check in they gave us a wrist band to wear that was made by a company that makes wrist bands for hospital patients.They should have used a locally made decorative wrist bracelet that you would want to keep. I am still wearing the one from a different resort that we visited in May in the same area. Imagine that a hotel from Las Vegas without the casino, merged with a low level cruise ship and crashed ashore. This is what it felt like. They failed to change the sheets during our 6 day stay and the towels were cheap and thin. The pool/beach towels were slighty thicker but were old and some had holes in them. This is not 5 star level. When it rained, the roof leaked. One morning I counted 50 places where they set up large floor sponges to soak up the leaks. They were prepared for the leaks with sponges but not prepared to fix the leaks. Now you have water that is trapped inside so mold and mildew were so strong that it could make you ill. There were power brown outs every day. Where were the back up generators? No air conditioning, no internet etc. Thus is not what I expected from a resort that was so highly rated. The artists that preformed on the shows each evening worked very hard and were very athletic and talented. We could not go to each show because the theater air was so stale and musty that breathing was difficult. We did report this to one of the activity directors and he said that the air was clean. Not even close.The Apple representatives were polite and professional, but they don't run the resort. We booked several off site excursions through the Apple representative and they were all very good and "as advertised

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback through Trip Advisor. It is our aim that all our valued guests enjoy every aspect of their stay here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. However, we regret that we have failed you on this occasion.

We value your comments and have certainly discussed all your observations with the main Management and Department heads in order to ensure that an immediate solution concerning areas of concern will be dealt with. As far as the roof goes, the affected areas can only be repaired when the weather is dry, to ensure the repair is effective. We assure you we are on top of it, and once again send you our apologies.

Please rest assured we are taking all the necessary steps in order to remedy the situations mentioned so that in the future, none of our valued guests like you will encounter similar issues.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you once again here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in order for us to have the chance to demonstrate the real meaning of service that you expect from us.

Best Regards,

Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just back from this wonderful hotel. It is off season so it was only half full and it was lovely and peaceful. We had excellent service with a beaming smiles all the way. Maybe speaking Spanish helps get along with the staff easier, however everyone was charming caring and helpful. My wife was ill during the second half of the holiday and everyone saw me on my own asked after her and asked if there was any special meals or drinks that she wanted sent to her room. Special thanks to Hugo, Maria, Alejandro, Yarinka and Ezequiel for making the mealtimes such a wonderful experience and that was just the buffet breakfasts, lunches and dinners. We went to the gourmet restaurant, not great food and very dull atmosphere, the Japanese was tasty, however the steakhouse really ticked all the boxes. We arrived 1.5 hours late for a reservation, after a late return from a tour and they let us straight in no questions asked, just "we were worried and have been waiting for you!" Will really miss all the great people thanks to Jenny and Andres from the Star Friends animation team and do try and go to the shows, all live where the dancers give there all and must change costumes at least 6 times a show. We are travellers that think the world is too large to return anywhere, however this is the sort of place that makes you wonder whether you should.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your nice review regarding your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It is a great pleasure to read how you enjoyed your great experience.

Thank you for mentioning the daily attentions we gave you, our team always tries to pamper our guests and do their best to take care of any detail to make your stay as unique as possible. We hope that both of you are very well.

Regarding our gourmet restaurant, thank you for your constructive review, comments like your help us to improve, and we can assure you that your opinion is being taken in consideration.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited from 11th August for 10 nights as a returning couple from last year. We were in the same block 71 as the previous year which over looks the tranquility pool, great view and so peaceful.
The food was amazing and we went to all the restaurants the surf and turf was our favourite. The buffet is so good with different foods everyday, the staff work so hard to make your stay so special.
The star friends work so hard and long hours but always take the time to talk to you and always remembered our names and recognised us from last year! The shows are fantastic too.

It's a great hotel and we loved our stayed just as much as last year.
It did rain for 2 days and the ceiling was leaking the roof needs some repair as the carpet was getting wet and smelt quite damp in places. They did put down pieces of carpet to soak up the water but it didn't look that good throughout the hotel.
As it was an adults only hotel we were little surprised that children were on the beach in front of the hotel the security guard on the beach just ignored them. We chose the hotel because it was couples only and didn't really expect to see children on our beach when the 2 hotels next to the Grand are family hotels and the beaches are fantastic. Even the star friends from the other Iberostar hotel brought them down to explore on our beach rocks surely that cannot be right?
We love our time there even though it is expensive but hope to see some improvements hopefully before we return again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously, as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

We really appreciate your special mention of the food, tranquility pool, the great view, and of course our dedicated staff. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours are always motivating.

We are working hard to repair and avoid future water leaks in the hotel. We are deeply sorry about the inconvenience and please rest assured we are on top of it.

Regarding children on the beach, we will communicate with our sister resorts’ Star Friends.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect and we hope that despite of these issues, we will be able to welcome you back to offer you an outstanding vacation.

Iberostar México

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!