“Great staff!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great staff!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Paraiso for 5 days in August and we had a good time. It was about a 30 minute ride from the Cancun Airport so not too bad. The first two days we were there it poured and the staff told us this was their rain season:( However the last 3 days were gorgeous!

Every single person that worked at the hotel from the front desk to the landscapers were so incredably nice! Everyone spoke to you and made you feel so welcomed! The room bar was re stocked everyday and the maid cleaned the room twice a day in the morning and at night! The 24 hour room service was so great to have at 2 am! We only went to one show which was "Boogie Nights" and it was great entertainment! We went to the club 3 different nights and the music choice was not our first selection but it was still a good time!

I enjoyed all three pools (indoor, outdoor main and outdoor quiet pool). The beach was a bit rocky and the sand flies were a pain but overall the property was kept up very nicely. There were plenty of chairs and beds to lay on which was great! The Iberostar property is huge boasting 5 different hotels!! So we were not able to check them all out but we did go next door to the Maya and that hotel was so big and decorated so beautifully in Mayan decor. There was even a wave pool at the Maya which was a very nice feature. Due to the size of the Iberostar property you had to take a golf cart to get to each hotel, to the club, basketball courts and shopping center.

I only have two negative things, I was not that impressed with the food selection. I stayed at the Iberostar in Jamaica and the food there was AMAZING so I guess I was hoping for the same experience but was sadly disappointed! We ate at two of the themed restaurants the Meditteranian and the Steak House and the food at both places were presented very pretty on the plates but the actual taste was not so great. My husband likes his steak medium rare but his steak was still alive and sadly he was not able to enjoy it. The second negative is the hotel can definetly use a new paint job. You can tell this was the first Grand they built as it has seen better days paint wise and with all of the rain there were a lot of leaks in the main hall ceiling. The staff had towels and buckets laid out on the floor in the main hall to absorb the water.

Overall our stay was great and I would reccomend this hotel to any couple looking for a quiet relaxing vacation. However, I have to say that I think the Iberostar in Jamaica was much better and I will be back there again!

Room Tip: As soon as you arrive and check in go to the Concierge desk and make your dinner reservations for th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review. We are thrilled to have heard about the good vacation you recently enjoyed with us here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review. Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

3,229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at this place which turned out to be a hideous disappointment and waste of time and money. My complaints are so vast that it would take too long to detail them all.

If you are looking for a luxurious five star holiday where you can relax in piece with a sophisticated clientele this is not the place for you. The main swimming pool is surrounded by loud speakers. WHEREVER you sit you are subject to the musical choices of the hotel which are played so loudly you can hear them over your own ipod. A request to have the music turned down was met with a rude and firm no. This meant I had to spend the rest of my holiday on the beach. The beach is infested with flies and the ocean bed covered in rock with so much seaweed they employ people to take it away. If you are looking for a clear crystal ocean you will be disappointed. The main pool is also used for various other activities such as boat races, water fights with people in fancy dress (?) and aerobics, all accompanied by even louder music and a compare with a microphone making yet more noise.

The other alternative to the main pool is a quiet pool to one side of the hotel that is so infested by mosquitoes due to the lack of breeze that few people use it. Mosquitoes are a massive problem throughout the hotel. No one uses the outdoor seating areas because they are so prevalent. My partner had around 20 bites by the second night. You will get bitten day and night regardless of spray. Forget having a drink on your balcony. They are in bedrooms and all interiors of the hotel. Said bites led to a visit to the on site doctor who can only be described as the most vile, belligerent “professional” I have ever encountered. She refused my partner any treatment whatsoever and is danger to anyone seeking medical help at this resort.

Other issues

• Toilet became blocked twice. Apparently this is a common occurrence and most guests will encounter this at some stage.
• Bath- jacuzzi part didn't work.
• Location- hotel is 45 mins from Cancun and 35 mins to the Cozemel. There is nothing close by and taxis take advantage of this. There is a hotel shuttle but is infrequent.
• Restaurants. Japanese was very good. Gourmet was laughable. They brought me boil in the bag sea bass, snipped off the top of the bag in front of me and left the bag on the plate!!
• Tips. A persistent and transparent attempt by all staff to get tips for everything from bringing me one coffee to offering me a towel. Once its established you are not a consistent tipper service plummets.
• We paid tips to ensure golf clubs were ready at reception on our departure. They were not ready and my partner had to run to the club house to get his clubs before we left.
• We asked a few times if the ATM charged. We were told no. In fact when we used it we had to pay $16 or else pay the hotel a similar amount to get some money changed. We could have changed our money in town for free but relied on the inaccurate information from the hotel staff who INSISTED on us paying their charge.
• Nightclub. The only night we attended seemed to be Mexican night with star friends taking centre stage with conga like antics. If you are looking for cool house/r&b type club stay away.
• Wifi stop working half way through our stay. We were then given a password to log on but from that point onwards I couldn't get a signal. Inexplicable after my phone worked for ten nights.
• Piano bar- again bombarded with super loud music from either a loud piano or worse the synthesizer duo playing holiday “classics” so loudly you had to shout a conversation.
• Staff forgot to fill the mini bar up on more than one occasion.
• Key card worked on some occasions and not others.
• There is a karaoke bar which sums up the atmosphere and clientele of this hotel.
• On the days in rained (and beware where were MANY) we asked for DVD’s which played so quietly we had to use subtitles to understand what was being said.

On awful awful place to stay. If it were not for a free upgrade I would have changed hotels. The response from management will give you some idea of what we had to deal with. If you have stayed at a genuine five star I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were disappointed every day as this resort failed to meet our expectations. This all inclusive resort only had two resturants opened each evening and they were over booked becaused they were understaffed. Everytime I tried to make a reservation I was told that the resturants were full. When we were able to get seated, the food was below average and my chair was either stained or had food left on it. Who wants to pay for an all inclusive vacation and be told that there was no room in the resturant? I would never return to any of these resturants if they were in my home town. The resturants were themed, Italian,Japanese, Gourmet, and Surf and Turf. Where was the Mexican resturant? We have traveled to 30 countries and have stayed at other resorts in this area and other areas of Mexico so I believe that we can make fair comparisons. At check in they gave us a wrist band to wear that was made by a company that makes wrist bands for hospital patients.They should have used a locally made decorative wrist bracelet that you would want to keep. I am still wearing the one from a different resort that we visited in May in the same area. Imagine that a hotel from Las Vegas without the casino, merged with a low level cruise ship and crashed ashore. This is what it felt like. They failed to change the sheets during our 6 day stay and the towels were cheap and thin. The pool/beach towels were slighty thicker but were old and some had holes in them. This is not 5 star level. When it rained, the roof leaked. One morning I counted 50 places where they set up large floor sponges to soak up the leaks. They were prepared for the leaks with sponges but not prepared to fix the leaks. Now you have water that is trapped inside so mold and mildew were so strong that it could make you ill. There were power brown outs every day. Where were the back up generators? No air conditioning, no internet etc. Thus is not what I expected from a resort that was so highly rated. The artists that preformed on the shows each evening worked very hard and were very athletic and talented. We could not go to each show because the theater air was so stale and musty that breathing was difficult. We did report this to one of the activity directors and he said that the air was clean. Not even close.The Apple representatives were polite and professional, but they don't run the resort. We booked several off site excursions through the Apple representative and they were all very good and "as advertised

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback through Trip Advisor. It is our aim that all our valued guests enjoy every aspect of their stay here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. However, we regret that we have failed you on this occasion.

We value your comments and have certainly discussed all your observations with the main Management and Department heads in order to ensure that an immediate solution concerning areas of concern will be dealt with. As far as the roof goes, the affected areas can only be repaired when the weather is dry, to ensure the repair is effective. We assure you we are on top of it, and once again send you our apologies.

Please rest assured we are taking all the necessary steps in order to remedy the situations mentioned so that in the future, none of our valued guests like you will encounter similar issues.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you once again here at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in order for us to have the chance to demonstrate the real meaning of service that you expect from us.

Best Regards,

Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just back from this wonderful hotel. It is off season so it was only half full and it was lovely and peaceful. We had excellent service with a beaming smiles all the way. Maybe speaking Spanish helps get along with the staff easier, however everyone was charming caring and helpful. My wife was ill during the second half of the holiday and everyone saw me on my own asked after her and asked if there was any special meals or drinks that she wanted sent to her room. Special thanks to Hugo, Maria, Alejandro, Yarinka and Ezequiel for making the mealtimes such a wonderful experience and that was just the buffet breakfasts, lunches and dinners. We went to the gourmet restaurant, not great food and very dull atmosphere, the Japanese was tasty, however the steakhouse really ticked all the boxes. We arrived 1.5 hours late for a reservation, after a late return from a tour and they let us straight in no questions asked, just "we were worried and have been waiting for you!" Will really miss all the great people thanks to Jenny and Andres from the Star Friends animation team and do try and go to the shows, all live where the dancers give there all and must change costumes at least 6 times a show. We are travellers that think the world is too large to return anywhere, however this is the sort of place that makes you wonder whether you should.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your nice review regarding your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It is a great pleasure to read how you enjoyed your great experience.

Thank you for mentioning the daily attentions we gave you, our team always tries to pamper our guests and do their best to take care of any detail to make your stay as unique as possible. We hope that both of you are very well.

Regarding our gourmet restaurant, thank you for your constructive review, comments like your help us to improve, and we can assure you that your opinion is being taken in consideration.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited from 11th August for 10 nights as a returning couple from last year. We were in the same block 71 as the previous year which over looks the tranquility pool, great view and so peaceful.
The food was amazing and we went to all the restaurants the surf and turf was our favourite. The buffet is so good with different foods everyday, the staff work so hard to make your stay so special.
The star friends work so hard and long hours but always take the time to talk to you and always remembered our names and recognised us from last year! The shows are fantastic too.

It's a great hotel and we loved our stayed just as much as last year.
It did rain for 2 days and the ceiling was leaking the roof needs some repair as the carpet was getting wet and smelt quite damp in places. They did put down pieces of carpet to soak up the water but it didn't look that good throughout the hotel.
As it was an adults only hotel we were little surprised that children were on the beach in front of the hotel the security guard on the beach just ignored them. We chose the hotel because it was couples only and didn't really expect to see children on our beach when the 2 hotels next to the Grand are family hotels and the beaches are fantastic. Even the star friends from the other Iberostar hotel brought them down to explore on our beach rocks surely that cannot be right?
We love our time there even though it is expensive but hope to see some improvements hopefully before we return again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously, as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

We really appreciate your special mention of the food, tranquility pool, the great view, and of course our dedicated staff. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours are always motivating.

We are working hard to repair and avoid future water leaks in the hotel. We are deeply sorry about the inconvenience and please rest assured we are on top of it.

Regarding children on the beach, we will communicate with our sister resorts’ Star Friends.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect and we hope that despite of these issues, we will be able to welcome you back to offer you an outstanding vacation.

Iberostar México
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Do not expect too much out of this resort except good service and beautiful beach. The first few days in this resort, it rained a lot and the hotel was dripping from the ceiling almost everywhere you went. The room next to our room had a big puddle in front of the door that required the guests to relocate to another room. We had reservations to try all four restaurants in the resort but after dining at the French restaurant l'atelier and the surf and turf, we were convinced not to bother with the other two restaurants so we just settled for the buffet every day. At least, if you didn't like something there, you have a chance at trying something different. Now the drinks, it is hit or miss unless you just drink beer straight out of the bottle. The wines are undrinkable. We have tried everything on the inclusive list and the only one I could tolerate is the Chardonnay from chile. They had a merlot from California but they said they were out of it for a while now and no longer offer it even though it was still on the list and perhaps the only wine you could actually drink. On the extras side, less than average wine is way overpriced. Woodbridge which is maybe 7 dollars a bottle back home, is priced at
70 usd!! As for Margaritas, it all depends where you order them because they make them differently at every bar.
As for the activities, we did the bike tour on bicycles that need major servicing. The tires were almost flat, the seats worn out and the pedal on my bike came out at one of the stops so we had to screw it back in just to make it back to the hotel.
I also tried the spinning class.. The bikes are rusted and the handle bar on the bike that one other man was using got detached when he stood up on the bike. Also, the arena where the spinning class is held is steaming hot, and if it is sunny you overheat as if you are in a sauna room or a sweat lodge before you even start pedaling. I suggest they replace all bikes with new equipment and move them into a room similar to the gym room with air conditioning.
The only activity we enjoyed was golf. It is worthwhile. Beautiful and challenging course that you would definitely enjoy as a golfer.
We wanted to explore mexico outside the resort so we decided to go to playa del Carmen. There is shuttle that takes you from the hotel for 5 dollars and picks you up a few hours later. The driver was unfriendly and didn't care. They deposit you there to go spend some money and get harassed by the sellers trying to get you to buy tours here and there and it is not cheap. We couldn't wait until we went back to the resort.
Don't go to iberostar grand hotel for the wine and food. Just go there to enjoy the Carribean sea.

• Stayed September 2013
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate us your feedback during your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We take our guests comments very seriously as your feedback helps us improve on a daily basis by identifying our strengths and weaknesses.

We always try our very best to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible and we regret that we did not succeed in this case. We are working really hard to fix areas affected by the heavy rains as soon as possible.

We have already shared your feedback on our restaurants with our Executive Chef for his consideration. He continuously strives to offer the best quality so your comments will be useful.

Regarding the tour bike and gym, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the memory we want our guests to take home and can fully understand your disappointments. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to all the department heads concerned in order to improve these services.

Regarding the shuttle service, we are sorry for this inconvenience. Unfortunately they are an external company that provides their services as an added bonus for guests that want to explore Playa del Carmen and prefer to use the comfort of a shuttle service. Your comments will be forwarded to them as their customer service should be of the highest quality as well.

Best Regards,

Morris, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were offered and upgrade upon our arrival at the Parasio Maya resort next door. By far, it was the best spent money ever (as it's adults only). The accommodations are superior in every way as is the entire staff. They leave nothing to be in need of. The front desk staff, housekeeping, Waite staff, concierges all were truly amazing. Ordered flowers for our anniversary and the concierge took care of that along with having special things done to our room that night while at dinner. All the restaurants are excellent but we really enjoyed the Japanese (in fact we ate 2 nights seated at the Hibachi), French and Steak House.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a bad room to be had. We had a room overlooking the garden and the spa, it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to read your nice review about your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso, we really appreciate the time you took to share your opinion with other travellers.

Once again, congratulations for your anniversary, we appreciate that you gave us the opportunity to celebrate this special occasion with you, and we hope that the details we made, helped to have an unforgettable memory.

It is good to know that you enjoyed our accommodations, restaurants as well as our staff service. We always try to pamper our guests to surpass their expectations, and reading that you had a great time make us feel very satisfied. We can assure you that our staff would be happy to hear that they were part of your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!