“Awesome hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Awesome hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I have been to the Grand twice and it is still the best hotel we have visited. Staying and the grand you get to use and eat at the several other hotels on the complex, but they can not use the Grand. Night club with drinks included on the complex and your own private butler that will do everything from stocking your frig with whatever drinks you prefer to having a bubble bath ready for you when you return from the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for the second time, that means a lot to us. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you.

Your generous words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

We look forward to hosting you again to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, “your home away from home”!

Best regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Polish first
Athens, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you are doing an all-inclusive to this place, gratuities are likely included. We recommend taking cash for tips anyway. Some of the service is so over-the-top you'll feel better about yourself by being able to thank them in that way. A hundred bucks in $5 bills should do you for a three or four-day stay, though we probably gave out a bit more than that. Whatever is not perfect is pounced on by an staff that could not be any friendlier or more eager to help. From picking your pillow from the "pillow menu" to custom-stocking your mini-fridge, the service is amazing. As for food, there's lots of it, and it's terrific. We can recommend the Japanese restaurant. However, unless you just want a little more intimate dining, skip the "surf & turf" restaurant. There's nothing wrong with it; it's just not better than the general nightly buffet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and sharing your review.

Your review means a lot to us as it reflects our continued dedication in meeting your expectations and it helps us reach our goal of being one the best resort in the Caribbean.

We put great emphasis on providing first-class accommodation, with genuine warm service and ensuring that you are treated to the finest food and beverages. Your specific mention to our facilities, restaurants, quality of food, and service given Staff will go a far way in encouraging our team.

We do hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again the next time you are thinking on visiting the Riviera Maya.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Looking wholistically at Iberostar Grand, I could not rate it any lower than five stars and our group was extremely pleased with the vacation. Some of our personal favorites were:
Golf Course: fun to play the outstanding course where Big Break Mexico was recently held
Beach Front: a reasonable upgrade from OceanView was offered and we loved the unobstructed view from Bldg. 70, 7025.
Grand treatment: we were generally given 'upgraded' treatment on all parts of the property, e.g., when diving Cozumel with Dressel Divers, the on site vendor, our transportation to Playa del Carmen was in a separate van than left first 'la ida y vuelta'.
Staff: anyone who has stayed at all inclusive resorts that include tips, Japan excluded, knows that sometimes the staff communicate that they'd really appreciate being tipped and their service could depend on it. Iberostar staff generally act as if they are well paid and enjoy their jobs, i.e. both the letter and spirit of 'all inclusive' is maintained.
Food choices: before I go into what's not great, I commend the variety and our group's unanimous order of restaurant choices, is Japanese, La Brisa/lunch, Tony's, Italian, French...a distance back from the others.
Beach and Main Pool: both beautiful and well managed. The ocean is not great for bathing due to it's position and incoming waves.
Adults only: our 'kids' were with us, but, they are adults...so nice

What's not so great...
Synopsis: The food quality could be vastly improved with an emphasis on freshness, quality, local ingredients and preparation. Too much is spent on a misdirected attempt to impress, e.g. Surf/Turf. Generally, I want what is the best quality, not what gets imported and frozen for up to years before serving. Mexico has some of the world's best fresh fish, vegetables, and spices/chiles. 90% of all the fish I tasted had an 'out of the freezer' taste and some smelled. By far the best fish was served in La Brisa and this location has great promise overall with better spicing and preparation...I'd suggest reducing the choices overall and blending the themes as buffets had items that completely conflicted one another. Finally, chef training and skill levels needs investment as some dishes were either plain or over cooked.

French: the ambiance is astonishingly bad! The 'French' restaurant features poster like Dutch masters...need I say more? The decor blends the modern style of the hotel with 'Fleur de Lys' and there is Delft Blue in windowed doors of the entrance. I suggest moving the French restaurant to the prime location of the property, La Brisa, and using the current space as overflow to the main buffet...also, lose all decor and stay with modern consistency. In this 'beach front' location, the Gourmet L'Atelier restaurant could become the signature venue without little or no decoration at all...think of the many great sea-view restaurants in Nice, Monte Carlo or Brittany.

Wine: well, we are No. Californians so this may not be helpful. We sampled extensively, paid and unpaid, going with the sommelier's "best pick overall"...wine is all I drink generally. We found both groupings best suited to getting a warm buzz rather than actually tasting the wine. There is no quick fix here, a general review is required.

As stated, it's a wonderful hotel experience and we can't wait to go back. My parting tip is to use: Carlos at Avatays: http://www.cancunshuttleandtours.com/ for tours. He drove us on all our excursions with pickup/drop off at the Grand. Carlos quickly became part of the family and a finer gentlemen could not be found.

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with other travellers.

Your comments are very encouraging as we are intent on being the leading hotel in the Caribbean, with the promise of exceptional customer service to our guests.

Your special mention of the golf camp, food, beach, rooms and staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours are always motivating for the team.

We really appreciate your kind opinion about our restaurants decoration. During the creation of the hotel, the decoration was intended to display a combination of the neoclassic and modern style. We will however send your kind suggestions to management.

We are concerned that the food served at the restaurants did not live up your expectations. We receive our ingredients every 3 days to ensure they are of the highest quality and freshness. Following health & safety regulations, all establishments must freeze the fish they are going to cook for at least 24 hours so that any bacteria or parasite the fish might have is killed at low temperatures. We have shared your feedback about taste and quality with our Executive Chef for his consideration, as he continuously strives to offer the best product to our guests to achieve your complete satisfaction. We work day in and day out to keep improving for you.

We will be looking forward to hosting you again at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso: your home away from home.

Best regards,

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

After extensive TripAdvisor research on Riviera Maya All-Inclusives, I chose this property and could not be more pleased! As most reviews state the property itself is second to none. I have stayed at 2 other properties in the Riviera Maya, but this by far exceeds. I had very high expectations going in as this was not a "inexpensive stay". However...as the saying goes..you get what you pay for. A few things to share...
I read so many reviews stating names of employees that i thought this was one of those "TripAdvisor" encouraged properties where they ask you to rate them and encourage you to rank high. Granted, every time that has happened to me, I don't allow their "encouragement" to weigh on my review, but ironically it is always earned. TRIPADVISOR IS RESPECTED from both sides!!!! Back to my point...I did not experience any "sucking up" from this property...just pure service and respect. So you can trust what you read.
Pool was gorgeous, beach was gorgeous, drinks were perfect, food perfect (I am not a foodie, but my husband is and he liked 90%...room service, not so much...but I thought it was great!)
The Butler we got with our Ocean front room could not have been better....Q: "what do you want to drink while you are here?" A: Botted water, Coors Light, and Vodka" Completely stocked the entire time! Q: "what kind of pillows do you want?" Q " Will you call me when you want me to draw your bath?" Need I say more?
The only thing I had hoped to see when I was reading reviews was is there a fun crowd to socialize with? YES! and if that doesn't suit you, their is the Tranquility pool for those who just want to relax. I could go on and feel free to email me, but! I have one word of warning: Should you choose to visit the town of Playa Del Carmen, beware of locals recognizing your "Iberostar" wristband. "hello! Dont you recognize me? I am your Bartender/waiter at Iberostar?" After some serious BS-ing, they coax you into their store to sell you based on your relationship with them....stupid me, I fell...but I am here to tell you 2 more locals tried the same and that's when I learned so now I can tell you...scam!
Dont let that influence your decision to stay at this amazing property...if you don't like this place...I am sorry but it can not possibly be the norm!

Room Tip: Ocean front is the only way to go if you can afford it...pull the $ trigger!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to read your review full of wonderful comments about your star at Iberostar Grand Hotel.

It is good to know that you enjoyed our service, facilities, and that you felt so well among us; is one of our aims that our staff has a good contact with our guests and welcomes them with open arms.

Thank you for recommending us.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

chicago,il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Not disappointed everything went perfect, liked it so much this time am going back in 3 weeks, miss talking to Olivia but wish her well in her upcoming blessed event. The weather exceptional. Most off all great seeing once again all our old friends the staff, who made it feel like we were returning home.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor and for your positive comments following your stay at Grand Paraiso. We are really glad to know that you are returning in less than one month.

We try hard to ensure that the stay of all our guests is special and your review is a source of great motivation. We will certainly share your comments with Olivia and we are sure that she will be more than happy to hear from you.

Thank you again and we hope you have a safe trip coming to Playa del Carmen. We look forward to serving you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Just got back home from this resort and I wish I could go back again! The service was excellent and the employee were extremely hard working & friendly. The beach, pools, and bar were some of my favorite qualities. My fav place to eat what the japanese one! Must get a reservation! Had an excellent time with family! Would go back to an iberostar hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make your dreamed vacations come true as well as for taking your precious time to publish your feedback. We are pleased to read about your positive experiences and have forwarded your kind compliments to our team.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again. We will do our best to make your stay a great experience once again

WIndsor, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed her in February 2013 and it was an awesome vacation! We upgraded our room to the Presidential Suite and were treated like royalty. We made sure to tip accordingly and we didn't want to leave.
We had a jacuzzi on the balcony and it was great for a moon lit romantic late night swim, or during the day after sun worshiping on the balcony! It was very private.
The shows were great, the resort is gigantic (5 resorts in one).
We had fantastic a la carte dinners and all were top notch!
This is a place where it will exceed your expectations.
We like to walk and explored each resort as they are all side by side and not marked or noted you are leaving 1 and going to another. That made it fun and exciting too. Highlight of the trip was the seafood Paella made right on the beach and something about eating lunch on your beach chair with delicious shrimp, mussels and crab just steps from the ocean! Awesome vacation, in fact we are going back in April 2014.

Room Tip: upon arrival, check in to see if you can upgrade, we did and paid less than the brochure price.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your precious time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Iberostar Grand and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and we will pass on the great feedback to the team. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!