“Best resort in the riviera!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
chicago, illinois
“Best resort in the riviera!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband and I have been to mexico 8 times since 2003 and the Iberostar Grand is by far the best resort ever and is about 25 minutes south of the airport. The Riu Palace, Xcaret, Barcelo or the other Iberostar resorts don't compare to The Grand. However, this is definately a couples resort. No children are allowed. The resort has a very relaxing feel. Although I don't recommend working on your vacation, there is free internet service provided to you room. You just have to contact your butler for the cable and password if you bring your own laptop.

The service is spectacular, everyone is extremely kind and always waiting to meet your every need. No tipping is required, but a few dollars does go a long way. The grounds are well cared for and extremely clean. No musty smell and the air conditioning worked well. The beds were very soft, with down comforters and pillows.

The resort serves premium alcohol (grey goose, captain morgan, don julio, belvidere, etc), a wide range of beers ( miller, all mexican beers, coors, budweiser, etc), and many wines. The food is outstanding especially Tony's seafood and steak. What was amazing to me was at lunch you could order steak, lobster, chicken etc. and the waiter would bring it to your table. I'd definately recommend trying the breakfast room service (it was delicious).

The pool has a nice veiw of the ocean and the joining hot tub is heated. You didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a cabana or beach chairs. There seemed to be enough for everyone.

No words can explain how beautiful and relaxing this resort was. I would definately rate this as the best resort in mexico and would recommend anyone going on a couples trip to try this resort. It would be perfect for honeymooners. My husband and I plan on returning to the Grand every winter.

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — nothing!!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Polish first
Oliver Springs, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I can only agree with the previous reviews of the Grand. I have been a loyal fan of Iberostar but the all adult Grand totally blew me away. The service was unlike anything I have ever experience before, the food was outstanding especially the surf and turf at Toni's, the italian, and the grilled lobster for lunch at the seaside buffet. It is buffet but they present you with a menu to choose from and the grilled lobster was outstanding. The butler only added to our comfort level and he truly made sure our minibar was stocked everyday with our favorite beverages. The buildings and grounds were spotless and I can't think of any negative things to say about the grand. Iberostar has truly made a satisfied visitor before but the all adult concept makes sure I stay with this company. I understand they will open an all adult in Montego bay and I stayed at Rose Hall last year and loved it but can't wait to experience the all adult when they open. If you are thinking of going to the Grand please do and I am sure you will not be disappointed, it truly is GRAND.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

This was our second year at the Grand (we were at the Maya before that). As 1967traveler said, last year it was pretty quiet. We felt like our butler was always outside our door! This year it was at 100% capacity. While it still felt pretty empty roaming the property, the service was definitely busy elsewhere.

The place was still as beautiful and the other guests were very fun to hang with. We had a beach front room which was awesome. And like 3Dturkey, our room never really cooled off. We were aware that if you open any doors the A/C shuts off (kind of hard to go to sleep to the sound of the ocean). Since this was our 2nd rodeo there, we took magnets and tried to trick the sensor. Didn't work.

The staff is the same staff that we started with 4 years ago. The same bartenders, butlers, etc. That makes it fun and feels like we are visiting old friends. (By the way, I bought Rigo a couple of new bar games and will send them pronto!)

If you like Bloody Marys, take your own cans of Mr & Mrs T...we did. Theirs are basically just tomato juice! Don't miss the indoor pool at the spa. The variety of jets as you move around the pool are FABULOUS!

We also ran into a couple we met there last year which was a big bonus (get contact numbers!). We will definitely go back year after year. It just doesn't get any better than that.

• Liked — Beautiful, Clean, Uncrowded at Capacity, Great Beds
  • Disliked — Poor A/C, Showers went hot/cold, Leaving
Manchester : UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

We stayed for two week at this Hotel.

This was an expensive holiday for us.

You can read reviews and anticipate the quality and service at a resort but seldom do they achieve your expectations, yet this Hotel did for us.

The Hotel is pleasant , and built to a reasonable standard.

The Management and staff are the things that made the Holiday for us.

The food in my opinion was very good 98% of the time.

The service through out the 2 weeks was very good to excellent.

NB: At no point did we feel that we had to tip for service ,which is a big plus for me personally.

I could go on but there is no point.

If I return to this area I will return to this hotel.

The Only Disappointment
-------
My only moan which does not directly have anything to do with the hotel ,was the Spa complex.

I paid $259 us dollars each for a stress free massages etc which should have lasted 120 min, they finished it in 90 min and left me waiting for my wife in the waiting room for 30 min.
My spanish is bad and they did not understand english clearly,so my complaints fell on deaf ears.
Which defeated the object of the session for me .

Oh i going on a Nile cruise next year ,need a good ship any ideas?

• Liked — The Rooms and Service
  • Disliked — Cant think of anything at this time
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

For our annual vacation (that is always during the Valentine's week in february) we planned for this year a trip to the Valentin Maya Imperial after seeing good reviews on the place. The day before leaving, we received a phone call from the travel agency telling us that we cant go to the Valentin as of they did over booked the resort... Oh my! What a good way to start vacation! So the lady told us that we will be transfered to the Grand Hotel of the Iberostar so we did take a look at the website to see some reviews about the Grand Hotel to decide if it is good with us or not Ok.. great... It looks like fantastic! So we finish packing the luggage and here we go!
Going at the Grand Hotel is like.... Heaven!
We did visit the other resort of the Iberostar (there is 5 resorts on the Iberostar site and the Grand is definitively the Jewel of the Place. Great service, fantastic architecture, amazing food....etc! You are definitively treated like a king and a queen. Whatever you want, at any time... ask for it! you got it!
We did enjoy it 100% and didnt regret at all the overbooking of the Valentin but we still do plan to go.
I do recommend it 100% if you can afford to pay the price! :)
Voila!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I just returned from a week at the Grand (May 22-29). I had a fabulous time. They were so attentive to our needs. The service was wonderful. We loved the beach and the pools. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in and I liked choosing from the pillow menu.

The food was pretty good. We really liked the breakfast buffet, dinner at the Japanese restaurant, and the dinner buffet 2 nights. One night was Mexcian night and the other was International night. Dinner at Toni's was okay the first night, but really good the second night. Dinner at the Italian was also pretty good. We did not try the Gourmet, because it did not appeal to us. My husband did not really care for the hamburgers, but other than that we were pretty happy. And we are picky eaters.

I enjoyed Dwight the bartender and all of the star friends. Especially Diego and Simon. I participated in yoga and an Anti Stress class by the Traquility pool. I also enjoyed the nightly shows. Sometimes it felt like we were the only ones at the resort. At night it seemed more social.

I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The service
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

My wife and I have traveled extensively to the area over the last 5 years. We've have generally stayed in upscale properties, and honestly I was skeptical when trying to justify the added expense of trying out the Grand. We had tried Excellence back when it was Secrets Excellence because it was supposedly 'the best' and we found it flavorless and pretentious, not really what we were looking for. But, we have stayed at the Lindo 3 times and like IB* a lot so we thought ok, let's try it out, and I crossed my fingers that we weren't going to recreate that experience.

Wow! We were simply overwhelmed. This was the most opulent and amazing place we have ever stayed, and there was no pretentiousness with the staff at all. Everyone was ready with a smile, friendly, willing to chat. This is a very important part of making the experience one to remember. When combined with the absolutely stunning architecture, gardens, decor and great food I simply do not believe there is a better value to be had anywhere. I challenge any reader to indicate a better resort at this price point that includes so much.

There is little point in going further to say what others have already said many times, but what I would add is that if you are able to afford the resort and are trying to decide between this and any other on the Riviera Maya, there should be no choice -- this is simply the best resort and has no equal.

• Liked — Attention to Detail, Beautiful
  • Disliked — Going Home
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!