“34th wedding anniversary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
“34th wedding anniversary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We chose the grand hotel because of our travel agent advice. We went July 5-8 for 3 nights. The resort was beautiful and very clean. Our room was very nice and clean. The pool area was clean and very nice. There were not very many visitors there. I would say 200 or less. My wife and I were both unhappy with the level of service while we were there. Since there were not many others we thought we would get exceptional service in all areas. The room service was very slow. I had asked a butler to bring a tub of ice to place some drinks in it to get cool. It took over an hour for him to bring it. When we were at the pool we thought the bar maids would cater to our needs in a quick manner since so few people were there. Everyday at the pool a bar maid came maybe 2x the entire day and I was even tipping them to assure good service. The last day we were there we were at the pool for at least 8 hours and a bar maid came over 1 time only. They tried to have pool games and exercise which was good but after dinner the entertainment was lacking at best. We thought the food would be spectacular but were disappointed with it as well. The food was average and the special restaurants were mediocre. The best was the surf and turf. Our last night we ate the buffet and had a great waitress and I tipped her $20 because she seemed to really care about our needs. The only thing my wife and I could think of was that since there was not very many guest the staff really didn't care about the guests who were there. They may have felt like the Americans won't tip since it is an all inclusive resort. Not a good way to think because as much as we liked the resort we did not feel the service was worth the cost and we won't go back or recommend it to any of our friends. Iberostar needs to get their staff excited about guests because these guest are the life blood of their business. There are too many other good options to go to in cancun. Beautiful place and water and decor BUT not the service we had expected and hoped for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing our property. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor, thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality.

We are glad to see that there are elements of the Iberostar Grand Paraiso that you quite enjoyed, however we are very concerned to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service.

We are truly sorry that you were disappointed about our culinary offer and the service provided by our staff. Please let us assure you that all our team shares the same vision of providing the best guest experience possible all year round, so your comments have already been forwarded to concerned departments in order to rectify the points that you have described.

We do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting us in the future and that you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Best Regards,
Iberostar Paraiso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Polish first
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Well we set off on honeymoon and were really excited after reading all the reviews on here. I had also asked lots of questions on the Playa Paraiso forum and people were really helpful.

I really can't understand the odd negative review on here about the Grand because as our American friends would say we found the place awesome. It was everything we were expecting and more.

From arriving at the entrance and being greeted with a fresh towel for cooling down we just knew we were going to be spoilt.

Soon we were being taken to our room by the bell boy and were told our butler would be along shortly. We were accommodated in block 72 and were more than happy with our room.

2 minutes later and our butler introduced himself. He talked us round the room and asked us if we had any pillow requests, what drinks we wanted in the mini bar and if we had any other particular requests. We ordered a bottle of brandy for my other half and a request for a bottle of wine on chill every evening at 5.30pm which we received every night apart from one when it came around 5.45. Not a problem.

We just knew that if there was then it would have been rectified immediately. This was quite apparent from the service we received at lunchtime one day when my other half requested a particular brand of wine which they had to go and get. We insisted it would be ok and that we would have the Cabernet Sauvignon but no - they went and got him his Merlot. This is the kind of thing that gives the Grand the edge.

Throughout our two week stay we were treated like Lord and Lady and truly spoilt. It was truly an unforgettable experience and will live with us for a lifetime.

ALL the staff treated us exactly the same (far too many to mention) but they all made a lasting impression. From bell boy, reception, bar staff, waiting staff, cleaners, maintenance men, butlers, concierges and of course not forgetting the fantastic Star friends who were marvellous. They remembered our names and were always happy to talk and spend time with you.

We made a couple of reservations before we left the UK by email and then booked the rest when we arrived. We ate at all the a la carte's - Surf and Turf being our favourite but couldn't fault any of them including the Gourmet. We also loved the Buffet on Mexican night including the Tequila!

We watched the shows which were excellent and particularly liked the Rock Show and the Ladies First Night.

We usually then went to the Lobby Bar for my Zinfandel and hubbies Remy Martin and people watched. A couple of nights we went to the karaoke which provided some laughs - thank you Star Friends.

The weather was more or less good although we did suffer some thunderstorms but there was really only one day where it affected us badly and we played Bingo and won the full house - what a laugh.

We had some issues with Mosquitos (well I did) but what can you expect if you go in the rainy season.

All in all the Grand has ruined any future holidays we will have as we know nothing will compare.

We had a fantastic time and a fabulous honeymoon. Thank you for the Just Married T Shirts, Tequila, fruit etc.

Thank you Iberostar Grand for a truly remarkable and unforgettable experience.

We will definitely return!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Paraiso we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us the feedback of your recent stay.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your honeymoon at our beautiful property, as we are committed to offering a luxurious accommodation and the best quality of food and beverages.

We must continue working to improve our services and we will take of your comments and suggestions into account because these help us to be better. Regarding the mosquitoes, the hotel has continuous pest control but we are located in the heart of the Mayan jungle and it is difficult to keep all the mosquitoes away; thank you so much for understanding!

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Having returned from our thirteenth stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraisio in five years, I am delighted that each time it gets better. Notably the service is consistently excellent; the new menus in the Italian and Gourmet offer additional delicious choices; and the new Ladies First Show was very very good. Special congratulations to Victor on his promotion to head Butler. Victor is the face, soul, heart, and spirit of the Grand. He sets a stellar standard of professionalism and customer service. Marianna the hostess and Ulysses the server in Tony’s made us feel as though we returning to our home away from home. Victor the waiter in the Venecia provided gracious, impeccable service. Head waiter Alfredo and our server Guadeloupe ensured breakfast and lunch were perfection. Edar, the Star Performer leader and master of ceremonies set a light and entertaining mood both pool side and at the shows. We look forward to our return trip this year again in November!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review.

We are proud of our team of hardworking and friendly staff, who continue helping us reach our goal to be one the best resort in the Caribbean. Your review shows that we are on the right path to achieve this goal.

Your kind words about the food, the comfort of the rooms, the entertainment, and the staff and the entire welcoming and friendly atmosphere means a lot to us.

We remind you that we are here to serve you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Cream Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our 25th anniversary celebration vacation. My husband and I have not been to Mexico and after an extensive search, we decided upon the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We went there from July 1 - 9, 2013. What an amazing place and especially an amazing time.
We loved everything about our entire stay there. All the hotel staff were extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. We were constantly greeted and asked how everything was going. If we needed or desired anything, all we had to do was ask and the response was immediate.
I would like to particularly mention our butler, Charley, and the chef-server, Olivia. They were SO NICE, SO HELPFUL AND SO ACCOMMODATING. ALL the Star Friends were so friendly, fun, and hard working. Smiles on everyone's faces. Really.....the entire staff throughout the week from early morning to night were so friendly, courteous....the best.
We hope that the management appreciates all the hard work and effort on the part of their staff.
We had a junior suite in the 72 building and we loved it. The room more than surpassed our expectations. The bedding and pillows were very comfortable....great sleeping. We really enjoyed all the food that offered. LOVED everything, but particularly the Mexican buffet and all the lobster tails.
We went there with the expectations of having a good time and we certainly accomplished this and more. This place was absolutely the best vacation my husband and I have taken together. We loved it so much that we agreed that we will definitely be going back. We will not research any other resort, because we found all that we could want at this Iberostar Grand.
Not to forget that the main pool and beach are absolutely beautiful. Met so many great people!
We have raved about this so much that our daughter and son-in-law have decided to go here next year for their 5th anniversary. We are thrilled that they want to go here and we feel confident that they won't be disappointed.
So in a word to describe our time and experience at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso......PHENOMENAL!!!
Thank you for making our anniversary celebration a dream come true!!

Room Tip: We loved our room in the 72 building facing the indoor pool/spa area. Serene and quiet. I guess we...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to learn that you had an excellent 25th anniversary celebration vacation and that you were pleased with our service.

We have shared this wonderful review with entire staff at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. These reviews are always a high motivation to improve our service.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your vacation destination the next time you are thinking of visiting México.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We loved our honeymoon trip at the Grand! I would be hard pressed to come up with any complaints. The staff, food, drinks, restaurants, pool and spa were all amazing! Be sure to make your dinner reservations upon arrival in order to get your first choices. Toni's was our favorite meal -- steak and lobster were fabulous! We will definitely plan a future trip to stay at The Grand Paraiso!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the nice comments you made about your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We are glad to know that you had a perfect experience. Congratulations again for your honeymoon.

Moreover, we want to thank you for letting us know that the food of our restaurants, the pool, spa and our accommodations were pleasant parts of your stay.

It is good to know that our staff made you felt like a star; and we are happy to read that you have the intention of visiting us thus giving us the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Kind regards,

El Paso, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had high expectations for the Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso after staying at another Grand in Jamaica, this hotel did not disappoint. from the moment I checked in with Cecile (who I made speak to me in French just because it sounded awesome) to my 'major domo' Fernando, I felt completely pampered and taken care of every moment.

Although my room was not ocean front, I was next to the Tranquility Pool, and was very relaxing to see when I woke up in the morning and I even fell asleep on one of the bed lounges in afternoon.

The food was outstanding. I tried the French restaurant one night and the buffets the rest of my meals. I especially enjoyed the Mexican Buffet and the tequila that greeted me at the doors of the eatery when I went to dinner.

I have stayed at a few different resorts in the mayan riviera, and I can easily say that the Iberostar Grand is the best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers your opinion of your stay at our hotel; we are delighted to hear that you had an outstanding holiday.

We will congratulate Cecile and Fernando so they know they contributed to making your holiday special.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

peoples republic of caledonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Loads of stuff in other reviews that I won't repeat here - I'll cut to the chase.

Only a couple of downsides for us.

. The buffet restaurant was closed on a few days. Although there are other options, including restaurants that are very good of their own right, we actually like the buffet so were disappointed that it wasn't available every night.

. The beach is not the best. Now don't get me wrong, it is still pretty good but the area in front of the hotel is a bit rocky. You only have to go down the beach a bit - into an area that is still covered by the lifeguards from other hotels in the Iberostar complex - for a better beach. Not a big deal.

Positives
The staff are very good, all pleasant and attentive without being overbearing.

The food is outstanding. There are reviews on here stating that it may not be five star fine dining. That may be correct, but for me it was darned close. You can eat lobster 3 times a day if you wish, or glorious steaks, scallops & other seafood. And there is always a good selection of fruit. Champagne for breakfast, just ask, and you shall receive.

The grounds, pools and buildings are kept well. We saw maintenance guys painting, plastering &c. Although there was evidence of leaks during some of the thunderstorms, we saw nothing of the extent of previous reviewers & the maintenance guys were going round during & after storms looking to identify areas in need of improvement.

Tips
Don't bother with ocean view - it's not worth it. Ocean front maybe, but ocean view is not worth it. (Our opinion)

The gym is decent enough for a resort hotel. The one in the wider complex opens an hour earlier & has bench & squat rack. Get up an hour earlier, run round to it & get your thang done early.

The Grand is called the Grand for a reason, but do have a wander round the rest of the complex. The bar in the Mayan, in particular, is worthy of a visit.

• Stayed July 2013
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your opinion of your recent stay at our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you have spent a great time at the Grand Hotel, and we consider it a great honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and the fact that you endorsed our property and the service provided by our staff highly. It is very motivating for our Managers and Staff to keep on going the extra mile.

On the other hand it remains in us the concern that some of your expectations were not fulfilled; your feedback is very important to us since it helps us to improve on a daily basis. Regarding our buffet operations, we do have to close some days depending on occupancy and to try and give our guests the opportunity to try our “a la carte” restaurants, because our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared to order so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service. You can also try several buffet restaurants at our sister resorts in the complex or try our fast food restaurants at the shopping center.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!