“Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Boston
“Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso April 13-20. The place is just as advertised , first class all the way. A Taj Mahal on the ocean. We booked with Jet Blue Getaways and all went smoothly. The beach front buildings were sold out so I requested a top floor room in Building 72 overlooking the tranquility pool and it was waiting for us when we arrived. We also booked the Surf and Turf via e-mail for the first night and dinner was excellent. Went to the Teppanyaki restaurant the next night, just OK , but the view alone was worth it. The rest of the nights we went to the themed buffets and were never disappointed. The breakfast and lunch buffets were excellent, lobster tails with drawn butter, stone crabs, carving stations, Bar-B-Que , they had everything. We went to the shows the first two nights ,“Ladies First” and the Magic show and both were very high quality, the theater is impressive.. The third day the Boston Marathon bombing happened , so we were busy with e-mails checking on family and friends and glued to Fox news and CNN every night watching the manhunt play out. This was when I wished the wi-fi was available throughout the resort , it would have saved us many trips to the front lobby to get internet on our ipad. Back to the review, we had 85 degree sunshine every day but the surf was crazy rough, great for boogie boarders and body surfing, but the waves would literally knock you over. They changed the red flags to yellow in front of the other Iberostar resorts the last few days, but we saw no noticeable difference in the surf. With the ocean not being a swimming option we sat at the Tranquility pool each day, it wasn’t all that tranquil ,a couple of wedding parties really livened things up .The shady cabanas went early but we always found a spot. Our waitress Miriam kept us very well hydrated all day long. The saltwater pool with the swimup bar was nice as well. I used the sauna in the spa a few mornings , nice and hot. For exercise we walked the beach and returned by walking thru all the other Iberostars with stops at the Lindo lobby fish bar and the Maya snake bar to hydrate, also tried the ice cream and crepes at the Commercial Center, all excellent. We never actually met our butler, the concierge ladies took care of everything we needed from reservations to the kind of drinks in our room to coronas in the fridge. The staff is very friendly and they go out of their way to accommodate you. I’m told they have new lounge chairs arriving soon and are working towards wi-fi for the entire resort. If they do that and tighten up on the morning towel game a little bit this place will be sheer perfection. A shout out to Ron and Cathy from California , really enjoyed your company. We will be returning in the future and next time I might even bring along my golf clubs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are happy to learn that you had an excellent vacation and that you were pleased with our service.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words!

Indeed we have new lounge chairs and are planning to have wifi throughout the resort at the end of this year! We are also working on preventing the reservation of lounge chairs.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your vacation destination the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Quality Manage

3,153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Iberostar in the Dominican, Jamaica and now in Mexico. They are all FIVE STAR hotels and I will never stay at another hotel ever!

Thank you Claribel Cota, WONDERFUL HOSTESS with a GREAT SMILE
Thank you LETICIA aka Liti for outstanding pool service, always with a SMILE as well
Thank you ROBERTO who provided outstanding beach service and always had a drink waiting for us
THANK YOU EDUARDO who was interning for his Yucatan College. THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY BIRTHDAY SPECIAL with the CHAMPAGNE!!! It was certainly a surprise and I wish you all the best in Hotel Management. Hope to see you again :-)
Thank you Anthony and Alicia at the front desk for accommodating us and providing us with a wonderful room and service with a smile. Excellent front desk service!
Thank you Yair at Olympus Tours Cancun for recommending Chichen Itza, it was FABULOUS!!!!
Thank you Humberto and Adriana at the Lobby Bar for making my birthday special with the margheritas and suggesting Horinatos! They were the best drinks I have ever had, no more Jose Cuervo for me.
Thank you Elionora Alor and Patricia Ceballos at Caribean Massage. This was my first massage I ever had and I must say they were BOTH outstanding! Keep up the great work!

Iberostar Executives: Your facility and ALL staff especially as noted above were outstanding and an asset to your facility. Please do not ever let them go. It is very hard to find hardworkers such as the workers you have working for Iberostar. Everyone goes above and beyond to make sure the grounds are spotless, they cater to all the clientele always with a smile, the rooms were impeccable and the restaurants were superb. Please recognize the hard work these individuals do. They work long hours and always have a great smile and positive comments to say about working for Iberostar as a whole.

We will be back next year, already planning on it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team. No doubt will they be motivated by your kind words when we forward them your comments. We know that our staff is the most important asset we have; they are enthusiastic and hardworking people who work hard to achieve our guests’ satisfaction!

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will indeed be back next year, we will be looking forward to it!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I read the reviews and was so excited about taking this trip, what a let down. I felt the need to really tell people what this resort is all about and what it has to offer. When we got there we heard horror stories of guest who had fallen off the stage during one of the night time shows and injuring themselves only to be asked by the hotel for their insurance, I'm not sure if that was true or not? Why do I bring it up? I almost fell off the stage and now wonder if it was true, if so I'm curious if that person has left a review or is going to leave a review? We paid the extra money for the ocean view upgrade. We tipped the girl who cleaned our room and she did a great job, the first time we tipped her. If we didn't leave a tip, the room did not get cleaned until late in the afternoon. If there was a tip in the room when we went down for breakfast the room was cleaned when we returned. My husband had to go to the swim up bar to get drinks, it took over 35 minutes to get them if we were in front of our building laying in the sun. I tried going into the pool on 3 different occasions and got out when I saw scum floating around and I'm really not sure what was on the bottom of the pool but it was slippery on my feet. The Friends group were great and really tried to get everyone up and around, they were a lot of fun. The drinks were top shelf, I guess they hope people have enough alcohol in them that they don't pay attention to the fact that half of the buildings are falling apart and the staff isn't what it use to be. At first I thought I was being just way too picky but then I took a second look at how much this vacation cost and decided I have every right to be picky. If I wanted 3rd rate service I would have stayed at the resorts next door. This was named the Grand because it was their BEST, so not the case. Not sure how they got #1 again this year but doubt that will be the case for next. I will not be going back. Forgot one thing, the food at the buffets reminded me of a huge cruise ship however the restaurants were much better. That is if we could get into them. One word of advice, book your meals before you even leave the states otherwise you will be eating at 9pm every night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

We appreciate your feedback of our services and facilities and concerning your comments about our swimming pools, periodically we do inspections of them (several times a day) to make sure they are in good conditions for our guests.

We do hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

swarthmore PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

First of all let me say this may upset some but it was our experience. We stayed April 18th to 24th. I had booked our trip nine months in advance and after staying at the Grands in Jamica and Punta Cana I was looking forward to the best trip yet. I was wrong. I had requested an upper floor with ocean view, so disappointed for the first floor room. I was even more disappointed when told at check in that they had a few larger groups coming in that requested those rooms. Why was their request more important than mine? I am sure we paid equal amounts. Our butler showed up at check in to collect a tip....asked him to lowerer temperature in room and he argued with me, two phone calls and one sleepless night room still too hot for me (it was my vacation and I paid how much for this room). The tub was a disgrace...black mold and rust was I at a cheap hotel at the Jersey Shore or at a so called five star resort....my husband had a bad case of food poisoning, our fridge broke and everything was hot. Yes the ground are beautiful but I really did not like the bushes around the pool. Point of an infinity pool is to overlook the ocean not bushes. Walking to room from outside was like being in a dark basement. Spoke twice with Laura Faviel public relation assistant manager requesting to see ocean front room, she promised yet did not follow through. Salt water pool was dirty but did love the pool at the spa.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the up most level of guest satisfaction.

Concerning the room request, as we mention to all of our guests that request any particular room or upgrade, those are subject to availability at the time of their arrival. Please rest assured that if availability allows it, we will always do our best to meet your requirements once you arrive.

We are sorry your husband got ill during your vacations. Our hotel has very high standards of hygiene control, daily we have highly qualified staff that oversees that all our foods are in perfect condition and are properly conserved and handled. An external company also comes in regularly and takes tests to identify any presence of bacteria, parasites or other, and these always come out clean. Our guests’ welfare is our priority. However, once again on behalf of the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso we are very sorry that your husband fell ill and hope he feels better.

We are really sorry about the couple of incidents that happened during your stay as for all the staff and the management of the Grand, the most important thing is to exceed your expectations and unfortunately on this occasion we did not reach our goal.

Once again we apologize for not being able to meet all your expectations. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in order to show you our true Iberostar Grand hospitality and standards. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have further questions or requests.

Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Do not expect the service and quality of a true 5 start resort. We had to be moved out of our Jacuzzi ocean front room the first night due to an ant infestation (not to mention a bunch of black curly hairs in the bed). The bell boy's response was that we are in the jungle and we should expect these thing. Then he went on to tell us that our expectations were too high and he asked us if we had already slept in the bed and maybe that's why there was hair. That is definitely not a 5 star response. They had to put us in a cheaper room the first night but told us they were unable to refund the room rate difference. Beachside service is horrible.....if you want anything, you need to get in yourself. Ordered 2 beers and it took 30 minutes and of course the beers were warm. The food was mediocre at best at the various buffets. We went to their Japanese restaurant one night and the food was pretty good but the service was probably the worst I've ever had. To top off the vacation, on the last day we decided to lay by their serenity pool. After about an hour, the gardeners started mowing the grass behind where we were laying and without warning, we were covered with a layer of grass clippings and dirt. Finally, the main pool is completely infested with black algae. I would not recommend this resort to even my worst enemy. We couldn't wait to get home!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your valuable feedback about your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations; your feedback is very important for us, as it helps to improve our services and avoid such problems in the future. We are very concerned to read about the issues you experienced, so we have shared your comments with our Managers in order to follow up all those areas. Please be sure that we have taken this matter extremely seriously.

We are looking forward to the possibility of getting another chance and welcome you back to our Hotel to show you the quality in service we are capable of offering.

Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Everything was excellent. Iberostar Gran in Riveria is a palace on the water. Beautiful people, servce. So anxious to please. We were there for 10 days for our 35 anniversary.

We were disappointed in some of restaurant food, esp the Japenese--however, others had better experiences, so maybe it was the time we were there (9pm).
We are an older couple--did not like that there frequently were no seatings available until 9pm--so we opted for buffet in eve instead of restaurant. 9pm is very late to eat dinner --esp if you have been in water and sun all day. No one can stay in bed when it s soooo beautiful outside!! . Need to be more seatings available at 7pm. We noted restaurants were never full --so it must be because there is not enough staff to accomodate more peoplle at earlier seatings.. Too bad--as restaurants are beautiful, esp Italian.
The shows were good. They did not beigin until 10 pm--so we missed a few. Loved the salsa night around the pool with live bands.It tarted at 9pm--so was much easier to enjoy.
If you eat at 7pm--there is a long time until show starts, unless you want to be in bar Bars are beautiful--but earlier entertainment woud have been better for us.
The amount of younger adults was much more apparent than seniors so I am sure they cater to that crowd for; however the shows were a style that appeals to a more senior crowd--we saw younger people leave the shows.
I guess you can't please everyone--but the staff goes to the limit to try to please everyone!!
Very quiet, relaxed and "classy" place--not for rowdy crowds.
Our room was amazing, we had ocean front rm 7022---amazing view!!
All in all it was a great trip. Would highly recommend. Worth the splurge!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

We sincerely regret that you were not satisfied with your stay at our Hotel and especially with the food; this was very surprising for us, since it is one of the points that guests usually praise most and consider being our biggest assets. So your comments have been forwarded to our Executive Chef.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect and we hope that despite of these issues, we will be able to welcome you back for an even more enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you once again for your feedback and rest assured that we will try our utmost to improve all the areas mentioned.

Best Regards,

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

so far so good. we have several days left here. Very clean, beautiful rooms. Overall service is fantastic, although the beach service is strangely poor for this nice of a place. If you hope to receive drinks, you probably need to sit pool side or bring a small cooler on the plane so you can bring beverages down from your room. We ate at the Surf and Turf restaurant last night and it was quite good. Japanese tonight...more updates when we leave!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your review. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted that you underlined your satisfaction about the cleanliness and also of our restaurants, it is good to know that you are enjoying your stay.

Regarding your comment about our beach service, we can assure you that your opinion is taken very seriously and we have been informed to the co-workers and F & B Manager about this area; we want to improve daily because to exceed our guests‘ expectations is one of our main goals.

Moreover, we want to thank you for taking the time to write your review about your experience at Iberostar Grand Paraíso, we greatly appreciate it. We hope you whole stay was so pleasant that you would like to come back.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!