“Best resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Chiefland, Florida
“Best resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have traveled and stayed at many resorts, this one was by far the best. The staff was friendly, the resort is very beautiful, the villia was amazing, and the food was great every time. The spa was not the best, but the spa pool was great

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your vacation and also for considering us the best resort. Your encouraging comments on our hotel and staff make us feel very joyful . It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of our hotel services and facilities.

We know that we have points of opportunity so thank you for mentioning the spa. Our deepest desire is to offer completely comfortable accommodation and comments like your motivates us to keep improving. Also we are pleased to read that you find our staff very friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you again at our hotel so that you can have another unforgettable experience.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Polish first
roanoke, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Totally agree with the review by StaceeE_13, done on 04/26/2013...I really couldn't express my own opinion any better. My husband & I stayed April 20-27. This is a beautiful resort with excellent, friendly, helpful staff, BUT it is def. not a 5 Star resort. We had super high expectations of this resort after the fantastical reviews we read for months before making a decision. When we go to Mexico, we expect local food option, as we both love any & all Mexican food, but we were only offered a Mexican buffet on one day of our week long stay...very disappointing! The buffet food was typical, as far as resort food, but a little less variety than I have exerienced at other all-inclusives. We only visited the Japanese (twice) & the Surf/Turf restaurants, both of these were very good, but again we can get Hibachi & steak/shrimp in the States. The beach was beautiful, but as others have mentioned, you cannot get in the water right in front of the resort. The best place we found was directly to the left, right in front of the "sister" resorts, but then you have to deal w/a ton of kids & we pay extra for adults-only, so this was a bummer. Our room was very nice, however walls are paper thin, I could hear the guy next door snoring?? We give the large beer & top shelf liquor selection a huge thumbs up!!! Probably the only thing saving this review, besides the great service! Humberto at the lobby bar is awesome! I really hate to write anything bad about this resort, but I feel that others travelers, like myself, who rely on honest reviews need to know that this isn't going to be the immaculate, 5 Star resort that others insist it is (well, maybe for them?). We have stayed at several 4 Star all-inclusives in the area & paid far less for a much better experience.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

Our team will undoubtedly be motivated by your generous compliments. We appreciate the time that you have taken as well to make constructive comments, we are commited to listen to our guests and be constantly working on improving our services.

Your comments on Mexican food have been forwarded to our Executive Chef for consideration.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Grand Paraiso!

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I read a lot of reviews before selecting The Grand and found most of them helpful in preparing. I don't understand why everyone is complaining about no WiFi? They provide free wired Internet and because I read reviews, I knew enough to bring a router (Apple airport Express) so I could use my iPad. We had adjoining rooms (74 block) so both rooms had WiFi.
This resort by far exceeded my expectations, the cleanliness was immaculate, all the staff were ready, willing and eager to assist with any little request...and with a huge smile. I never once heard the word "no". We originally were on the main floor, but it had a musty smell, so they moved us up one level and it was perfect. The food was incredible, grilled lobster every lunch, who could ask for more? They have top shelf alcohol, just specify what brand and they will mix away! We ate at the Surf and Turf (Toni's) and it was wonderful. We were so tired one night, we decided to try room service and actually had one of the best meals (steak dinner) make sure you try the Kobe Beef Burger, they were awesome ( they even deliver poolside)
This was my first trip to the Riviera, but definitely not my last. We went to The Lindo one day to use the Lazy River, but after being there for 15 mins I missed the quiet Adults Only aspect of The Grand, everyone was crowded and loud, yelling kids....it was heaven to get back to paradise! I would advise people to tip the hard working staff, I know you don't have to, but they work long hours and are so grateful for it when you do. The Grand is expensive, but you get what you pay for, and I think it was so worth it. We tipped all the staff and it was appalling to see some people treat the staff as nothing more servants!
I will list things that I think will be helpful to future travelers : they offer free sunscreen at the towel hut, you need to apply it there, but it is Brand Name and available in spray/lotion and a variety of SPFs. The towels are plush and you can get as many as you want. The bathrooms supply shampoo and body wash dispensers and bottles of conditioner, so no need to pack your own, also a hair dryer is provided. Bathrobes and slippers are provided and a coffee maker in your room. The pillow menu is great and about the air conditioning, I called and asked for it to be set at 18 degrees and within 5 mins, it was programmed. I would advise people to get up early to "play the chair game" because I learned fast that unfortunately this is what you have to do to get a canopy bed. Block 72 facing the tranquility pool only have king beds, so if you need two queen, you will be in block 74. I would upgrade for the Ocean front rooms (70 & 71) as they are worth the views. We thought the walk would be too much, so we opted for 74 to be more central, but the walk was not too far to the beach. If you want a party atmosphere, this is not the place for you, there are not many young adults here and mainly couples, but I travelled with may parents and 18yr old son and I never felt out of place. It was a relaxing, well deserved vacation.
If you're still thinking about booking...don't, just do it, you won't be disappointed! I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Oceanfront second or third floor (70 & 71) and opt for corner suite with jacuzzi on b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit to our resort. We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of food and beverage, and the very best in personalized service.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and for all your motivating compliments; and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Grand Paraiso is a beautiful property set on the stunning beach. The service was great and the food was very good. Everything included in the rate - even alcoholic drinks and activities. There's also shopping and nightclubs in the complex so you don't have to leave. You can enjoy hanging around the beautiful pool lor laying on the beach. It's an adult only property, so nice. The only drawback is no WiFi in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review.

At Iberostar Grand Paraiso we always try to offer the best accommodation and quality service, it is good to know that you found our property great and beautiful.

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with other travelers, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed our food and also our surroundings.

Regarding the internet connection, we have cable connection in our rooms but we are working to give our guests the service they would like and deserve. Your comments are taken very serious and we can assure you that we will be making changes at the end of this year.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband & I just got back from 7 wonderful days at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso yesterday. We have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in The Riviera Maya and this place blows them all away. From the moment we stepped in and were wowed by how beautiful the resort was until the moment that we left, we had huge smiles on our faces. The staff there is amazing. Everyone will stop and say hello to you and ask you how you are. The Star friends know your name and where you are from by the second day if you get involved in the fun activities that are going on. The food is out of this world. There is grilled lobster at lunch. You always feel special when all of the tables are set with white tablecloths everywhere. You are always waited on hand and foot. They take your drink orders at the beach all day long. They also walk around offering you sunscreen and magazines and books during the day too.
The ala carte restaurants were great. Our favorite ones were the surf and turf and the Gourmet. Fantastic service. Make sure that you ask for the Mayan coffee, it is quite the experience.
Regarding rooms, we did not upgrade. We were in a standard room on ground level over the quiet pool in building 72. Great location, close to everything. We grabbed chairs everyday on the beach in front on building 71. Walk through the lobby of that building and head straight to the beach.
So we found out that your butler can bring you anything that you want to drink to your room. We requested some top shelf vodka, tonic water and limes to be brought to our room and when we returned after a day at the beach we had a full bottle of Absolut Vodka, several bottles of tonic and a plate of limes.
FYI - there is wi-fi available in the lobby, lobby bar and the atrium in the main building. The beach front lobby has it too. If you get a chair on the beach by building 71 close to the lobby area, you can even get wi-fi at the beach.
All in all, we totally loved this hotel and can't wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay at our hotel, we are delighted to read that you have felt so welcome. It is very pleasant to read that we have reached our goal by offering you a really good and relaxing vacation.

We feel so satisfied to know that you consider us as the best all inclusive you have ever stayed. Thank you for you mention on the excellent meals and amazing staff. We can ensure you that the star friends are very grateful for your comments.

Thank you for describing some areas of our service; it is also a pleasure to see that you enjoyed our installations.

We greatly appreciate your positive review and look forward to see you soon. If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Grand was truly fantastic. From the spectacular facilities to the ocean view, this rates as one of the top resorts we have visited. We visited the Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana a couple of years ago and had the same wonderful experience. The staff was friendly with smiles on their faces and very helpful whenever asked - even the housekeepers who didn't speak much English. The food was fantastic as well. This resort can cater to whatever type of vacation you want. You can hide away in the Quiet Pool or the Beach, or go to the hoppin saltwater pool with the pool bar. Something for everyone. We will return again someday after we visit all the other Iberostar Grand locations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your encouraging comments about our hotel, it is always great to receive positive feedback about numerous aspects of the hotel services and installations.

We feel so proud to know that you enjoyed your stay, and also grateful to read that you are Iberostar repetitive clients. It is excellent that you visited other Iberostar properties and also that you are planning to visit all the other Iberostar locations.

It is a pleasure to notice that you highlighted some of our facilities as the beach and pool. And also we are happy to know that our staff was part of your excellent vacation.

We look forward to seeing you again at Iberostar Grand Paraiso

Miami, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel is very well kept and clean. Although I didn't get to enjoy all of the services because I was on business I did see that it has many great options for all. It was very disappointing not to have WIFI in my sleeping room especially since I was there an entire week on business. Quite simply this is unacceptable in 2013. The banquet food especially for lunch was not good at all and we had 5 days of lunch. But the food in the buffet restaurant and other restaurants was good. Service was hit and miss. It was ok. Some staff members body language read that they were bothered when you asked them for something. They didn't say "no" but you can read in their body language that you were bothering them or they didn't go the extra mile. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone in mind after an entire week that was WOW. My concierge in my building 71 was okay but again not WOW and definitely not consistent. For example I had a room service breakfast menu upon arrival and didnt use it until day 2, I received another copy day 3 but day 4 I didnt have a menu when I got to the room so I mentioned it to the security guard who came to open my safe and a few minutes later my butler called to take my order because it was late 12am and he said he would rather take it over the phone. Day 5 I didnt get a menu and called down to my butler to give them my order at midnight and the person who answered the phone said they could not take the order but would send me a menu up. I waited and after 30 minutes of not getting it I called back down to see if I could just place the order over the phone and was told "no". I explained that I was able to the night prior and he said he would have my butler call me. Long story short, my butler never called and there was a knock on my door at 1am an hour later with someone dropping off the menu. Thats just one example of inconsistency. Overall it is a nice hotel and the AIP inclusions are very good. I rate the service a 3 due to the inconsistencies and the attitude of some employees. The Room I rate mainly because of the WIFI. I would not be back on business but I can see how it would be a fun place on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip advisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue to improve our services and products for our guests. We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to the unacceptable experiences with our colleagues.

We have noted your feedback regarding the points you have so kindly brought to our attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointment. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback to all the department heads concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures, most especially when we are dealing with our guests.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Trip advisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Iberostar Grand in the future and that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Iberostar Grand is known for.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!