“Excellent Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
“Excellent Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Grand was truly fantastic. From the spectacular facilities to the ocean view, this rates as one of the top resorts we have visited. We visited the Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana a couple of years ago and had the same wonderful experience. The staff was friendly with smiles on their faces and very helpful whenever asked - even the housekeepers who didn't speak much English. The food was fantastic as well. This resort can cater to whatever type of vacation you want. You can hide away in the Quiet Pool or the Beach, or go to the hoppin saltwater pool with the pool bar. Something for everyone. We will return again someday after we visit all the other Iberostar Grand locations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your encouraging comments about our hotel, it is always great to receive positive feedback about numerous aspects of the hotel services and installations.

We feel so proud to know that you enjoyed your stay, and also grateful to read that you are Iberostar repetitive clients. It is excellent that you visited other Iberostar properties and also that you are planning to visit all the other Iberostar locations.

It is a pleasure to notice that you highlighted some of our facilities as the beach and pool. And also we are happy to know that our staff was part of your excellent vacation.

We look forward to seeing you again at Iberostar Grand Paraiso

3,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel is very well kept and clean. Although I didn't get to enjoy all of the services because I was on business I did see that it has many great options for all. It was very disappointing not to have WIFI in my sleeping room especially since I was there an entire week on business. Quite simply this is unacceptable in 2013. The banquet food especially for lunch was not good at all and we had 5 days of lunch. But the food in the buffet restaurant and other restaurants was good. Service was hit and miss. It was ok. Some staff members body language read that they were bothered when you asked them for something. They didn't say "no" but you can read in their body language that you were bothering them or they didn't go the extra mile. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone in mind after an entire week that was WOW. My concierge in my building 71 was okay but again not WOW and definitely not consistent. For example I had a room service breakfast menu upon arrival and didnt use it until day 2, I received another copy day 3 but day 4 I didnt have a menu when I got to the room so I mentioned it to the security guard who came to open my safe and a few minutes later my butler called to take my order because it was late 12am and he said he would rather take it over the phone. Day 5 I didnt get a menu and called down to my butler to give them my order at midnight and the person who answered the phone said they could not take the order but would send me a menu up. I waited and after 30 minutes of not getting it I called back down to see if I could just place the order over the phone and was told "no". I explained that I was able to the night prior and he said he would have my butler call me. Long story short, my butler never called and there was a knock on my door at 1am an hour later with someone dropping off the menu. Thats just one example of inconsistency. Overall it is a nice hotel and the AIP inclusions are very good. I rate the service a 3 due to the inconsistencies and the attitude of some employees. The Room I rate mainly because of the WIFI. I would not be back on business but I can see how it would be a fun place on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip advisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue to improve our services and products for our guests. We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to the unacceptable experiences with our colleagues.

We have noted your feedback regarding the points you have so kindly brought to our attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointment. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback to all the department heads concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures, most especially when we are dealing with our guests.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Trip advisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Iberostar Grand in the future and that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Iberostar Grand is known for.

St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel in December 2012 and it has taken me this long to come to terms with the disappointment. This may sound dramatic but we had so many expectations having previously stayed at the excellent Grand Bavaro in Dominican Republic and having read the glowing reviews of this hotel before hand.
Firstly we are not a demanding couple and are fairly easily pleased being typically reserved Brits. However we felt a distinct lack of care and attention to detail particularly when it came to room service. Room service was not performed on 2 days, and the turn down service was very hit and miss. The fridge wasn't stocked on some days and the butler never appeared during our whole stay. There were no newspapers delivered at all.
It felt as if they did not know the room was occupied and were just keeping the room ticking over till guests arrived.
For a 5 star hotel you would also expect Wifi in the rooms, very inconvenient.
The food was not 5 star barely hitting 3 star in my opinion. In fact we visited the resorts next door and their food was better. Food was undercooked and cold on occassions, a lack of taste and variety. The dining rooms felt too formal and oddly configured.
Being in Mexico we would have expected a good variety of Mexican food...no such thing materialised.

The hotel may have been under capacity which may account for the eerie feeling around the place and lack of atmosphere, making you feel somewhat depressed at times. Beautiful surroundings, high quality furnishings and well maintained.
On the plus side the entertainment was excellent, the best we have experienced.
The girls in the lobby bar were friendly and always offered good service.
In addition the weather was cloudy all week which of course we know is not the hotels fault.
To a hotel which promised so much we will not be returning, we definitely did not feel like stars..

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

We sincerely regret that you were not satisfied with your stay at our Hotel and especially with our standards and the courteousness of our staff. This was very surprising for us, since these are precisely the points that guests usually praise most and consider being our biggest assets.

We value your comments and have certainly discussed all your observations with the entire Management Team in order to ensure that an immediate resolution concerning these areas of concern will be dealt with.

Rest assured, we are taking all the necessary steps in order to remedy the situation so that in the future, none of our valued guests like you will encounter similar issues.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity of having you once again here at the Iberostar Grand in order for us to have the chance to demonstrate the real meaning of service that you expect from us.

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I won't go over what so many other reviews have said already because I love this hotel in paradise. I stayed at the Grand Hotel Paraiso which means paradise and it lived up to it's name.

The Japanese restaurant was so good I went there twice. The Surf and Turf was great too and the service was unmatched. Also, because I could eat anywhere on the complex my wife and I had lunch at the Lindo which was a nice change from the buffet lunch at the Grand. But, I couldn't get Corona at the Lindo, only at the Grand.

If you get a chance, eat at the Maritime restaurant at the Maya for lunch or dinner. I had dinner there and the barbequed lobster was out of this world. They also had king crab legs on the buffet. Needless to say I had a few plates until the barbequed lobster arrived. Oh and you have to try the dirty monkey and the tequila suicide drinks. Enjoy!
I was there 5 nights and I can't wait to go back to paradise.

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our satisfaction to know that you totally enjoyed your vacations at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and also for your motivating review.

We are glad to know your positive evaluation about our cuisine and the excellent service offered at our restaurants and also at Lindo and Maya Iberostar hotels. Our aim is to satisfy all our clients, and read your review make us feel very happy because we know that we reached our main goal with your experience.

All our team hopes that when you will plan your next vacation, you give us the opportunity to welcome you again, it would be our pleasure to serve you one more time.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico.
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Paraiso March 16-20 and it was fabulous! We loved the beach, the pools, the room (ocean front on the 3rd floor), the staff, and the food. We have stayed at Secrets Capri Riviera and Excellence Playa Mujeres and we enjoyed those very much, but this was even better. Even the food was great and we are pretty picky about food. Tons of fresh seafood at the buffets, which did not require reservations. The restaurants did require reservations, which was a little inconvenient, but if we were hungry before or after our reservation time, we just cancelled and wet to the buffet. We ate at Tony's and the Asian restaurant. They were both good, but we really liked Tony's better.

The resort is right next to four other Ibersostar hotels, all in one huge complex and we walked to all of them and took advantage of the bars and snack bars at the other resorts. There is also a shopping complex where all the food is included. They have a taco bar, an ice cream and crepes place and a hamburger place. There are also several stores and a spa in the complex. We didn't go to the spa, but it looked really nice. There are two gyms (one in the Grand and one near the shopping complex). I used the gym at the Grand, which is fine, but tiny, and the larger gym at the shopping complex. They did offer spinning and Yoga classes, but I did not do any classes. One of the things that we really liked was that there was enough to see and do and lots of opportunities to walk off all the eating we did!

We also thought the beach and ocean was the best, clearest of the three Mexico resorts we have been to in Riviera Maya. The staff were fantastic and we especially liked the lobby bar where they had my favorite snack- popcorn! We also ordered room service for breakfast and it was very good. It's a great resort!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out your precious time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Iberostar Grand, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and will pass on the great feedback to the entire team. Hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Iberostar Grand soon!

Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Right from the start I must say that this is the Best All-Inclusive resort that my wife and I have stayed at. The fact that it is an Adults-Only was definitely a contributing factor to how much we enjoyed it as it draws a more discerning and quieter crowd that enjoys and appreciates the finer things like decor, service, food, beverage and entertainment quality. I cannot say it was a perfect resort as there is room for improvement even in this oasis. Please read on for detailed explanation.
Location is Excellent. Resort is located about a 20 minute ride from the airport and about 25 minutes away from the towns of Playa Del Carmen and Cancun so if you get bored in the resort for some reason you have the option to taxi to a town nearby.
Arrival is excellent. Once you are through the Security gate you enter an Iberostar-only property which hosts 4 separate resorts of varying quality. They all share a road, tennis courts and a large Golf Course plus driving range. There is also a Shopping mall, Spa and a Discoteque that everyone staying at these resort has access to. There are bike/running trails throughout the property. The Grand has its own entrance which only the guests of the Grand have access to. Upon arrival you are greeted with a welcome drink or champagne and quickly given access to the room. They seem to know you are about to arrive, greeting you by your name and after short explanation of the hotel property get you in the room. We got our room by 1:30pm even though the official check-in is 3pm.
The Lobby is excellent. Overall design of the hotel is excellent, both layout and decor are very tasteful and thoughtful. Everything is centrally located next to the front desk.
Once you walk through a promenade bridge you arrive at the main central building that contains three floors of rooms plus 4 restaurants, 2 concierge desks and seating throughout. It contains access to the fresh-water outdoor pool and the Grand-only spa, indoor pool and a health club.
The Rooms are above average. We had a basic Jr. Suite which is the least expensive room in the resort and it was large, well appointed and provided us with everything we would need during our stay. I would not get an upgrade unless it was complimentary. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean, mini-fridge had all the drinks we wanted. We could have had a breakfast-in-bed if we wanted to, there was a sitting area and a balcony with a swinging bamboo semi-bed. The room was well insulated and we never felt as though there was anyone occupying rooms next to ours. The bathroom was large with two separate sinks, a Shower, a Jacuzzi bath tub, a toiled, all necessary amenities, day and night lighting, bath robes, plenty of towels and all of the shampoo, and conditioner you would ever need. Water pressure was very good.
The beach was very good. We split our time between staying on the beach and by the largest pool. The beach area of the Grand has plenty of permanent shade as there are two sets of locations with permanent typical coverings with bamboo lounge beds. They also provide cushions and as many towels as you will ask for. The beach is sanding although not entirely without small rocks. Swimming by the Grand is treacherous, though, as the coral formation occupies most of the Grand's beach. Luckily, just a short 30 second walk over to the beach of the next door Iberostar you have access to an entirely rock-free beach and the swimming in the ocean is the pleasure that cannot be duplicated. We were vacationing during late April and the weather was a perfect 90 degrees outside everyday with no rain in sight. The water temperature must have been mid-80's. Very warm.
The pool is excellent. Centrally located between the building with the restaurants and the beach and its ocean-front buildings, this is a very large salt-water pool (almost the size a football field). It is an infinity pool facing the ocean with 4 freshwater whirlpools and a swim-up bar. The pool is 4.5 feet deep throughout with shallow (5" deep) side wading pools for those who want to sunbathe right above the water level. Both the pool and beach are staffed with waiters who will bring you any drink you wish as often as you wish. Oh and if you need shade and want to stay in a cabana, just make sure you are out by the sun rise to grab one. They are free but are usually taken by the early risers.
The staff is excellent. The "Star Friends" staff is very much a friendly bunch of young people trying to ensure that if you have an inclination to get off the sun bed and do an activity, they will make sure you will enjoy it. They offer variety of activities throughout the day by the pool or nearby.
The food and drinks and service are very good. The breakfast was excellent with a great variety of choices, with three omelet stations so you never had to stand in line. The food was plentiful and fresh. Lunch was delicious with daily lobster trays (hot and cold) plus a variety of food to satisfy anyone. All of our dinners we went to the specialty restaurants for which we made reservations upon arrival to resort. They were of high quality with many choices, though not quiet up to par with good restaurants i n the states, they food was still well prepared and presented. Alcoholic beverage choices were excellent for hard liquor. Where they fell down was on the choice of wines. They were of low quality and very poor selection. They should really examine their approach to upscale wine for such resorts. In the Italian restaurant they did offer better wine selection for additional fee but the fee was too high for what they offered, so we just passed on the wines. The service in all of the restaurants was excellent. All places were clean, comfortable, well air conditioned and you never had a problem waiting for a waiter’s assistance.
Evening entertainment was excellent. Having been to many 4 and 5 star all inclusive resorts, this is the first time that we were impressed by the quality of the entertainment that was offered at this resort. It was on the par with high-end cruise ships, with live music and singing, large dance groups, professional décor and lighting. The entertainers seem to genuinely enjoy entertaining the customers and kept the show going as long as the audience stayed in the theater. The lobby piano bar was always full as there was either a light piano playing or a two man band performing American favorites from all eras.
Here are a few items that this resort should try to improve on:
1. When returning from Tennis or Golf we waited for over 15 minutes for pick up. It never came so we walked all the way back to hotel. Though we did not mind the walk, we were tired and weren’t sure exactly how to get back to the Grand since there are no visual signs on the road. And it was over 90 degrees outside. When we came back the bell boys were standing next to those golf carts chatting so they were available to go get us. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they simply nodded. Didn’t even apologize.
2. The tennis courts were clean but in poor condition. The balls were terrible as were the cheap racquets. There was no water station on tennis court and no one warned us about it so we did not bring our own. No towels anywhere near the court either.
3. While extremely pleasant, concierge desk girls seem to be there strictly to make restaurant reservation or call housekeeping for you. They couldn’t even tell us about anything to do in town or how to get there or to book a trip. Very strange use of personnel.
4. Butler was a running joke for us as we still do not know what their purpose is. I really never saw one do anything but walk aimlessly around the resort.
5. They really should figure out a way to alleviate cabanas reservations. I would wake up especially early and be out by the pool at 7am and most of the cabanas were already taken by then.
6. While you can get free sunscreen cream right by the main pool, they do not have a spray version and their choices might not have the number you want or need so do not rely on the resort for your sunscreen. The spray in the resort shop will set you back about $35 so beware.
7. The hotel by my count has around 120 ocean view rooms but when we came there these rooms were allocated to people attending a conference in the hotel. So if you are hoping to get upgraded upon arrival, be aware that the hotel prefers to stay full rather than accommodate guests on special occasions. This in not US, so don’t expect to be impressed by the little things.
8. Since we came for 5 nights, the package included 2 rounds of golf for 2 people. We wanted to exchange golf for a massage but they would not hear of it. Since neither my wife or I golf, we booked to go and try it at 8am. We asked for a pro to teach us for a fee of $90/hr. We were willing to pay but it turned out that the golf pro starts his work day at 9am and is not even guaranteed to be there. By 9am it is impossible to be anywhere but by the pool as it was over 90 degrees and humid. Needless to say we cancelled our reservations and are not impressed with how inconsiderate the whole golf program is to those that supposedly already have it in their package.
All in all, though, this resort is our new standard. And I think we’ll stick with Adults-only places as they truly do make a big difference.

Room Tip: Getting an ocean view room is great but is absolutely not necessary as the additional cost is not ju...