“Fantastic AGAIN!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
St. John's, Canada
“Fantastic AGAIN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the IGP for a week last year and couldn't wait to return this year for a 10 day holiday. Once again the IGP impressed us in every way and we are already planning to return next year. I will try to add a few new things to this review that we discovered this year.

FOOD: Once again the food was outstanding. Breakfast and lunch buffets are excellent. A BIG thank you to Olivia who always greeted me with a smile and an hola even when she wasn't feeling well. Good luck with your new baby, Olivia!
My only suggestion with the food is to make sure that your meat and seafood is fully cooked at all times. My husband loves his meat cooked rare however after a brief bout with a bad stomach he ordered well done for the remainder of the trip. Don't feel bad if you send something back if it isn't cooked to your liking. My husband had ordered the scallop appetizer at the Surf and Turf restaurant and when he asked to have it cooked more they were extremely apologetic with the head waiter even coming out to apologize. It really wasn't a big deal to us but they were truly sorry.

Last year we only did the a la carte restaurants but this year we went to several of the evening buffets and they were fabulous. The presentation at the International buffet was amazing. We would definitely try the buffets again next year.
Contrary to what others have said, we have never had an issue with getting reservations for the a la carte restaurants. We did this as soon as we arrived and got all of the restaurants and times we wanted.

ROOM: Gorgeous as usual. We had a room overlooking the tranquility pool again this year and just loved it. The butlers were fabulous and ANY request or concern we had was seen to right away. Our mini bar was fully stocked everyday. We requested a bottle of rum and vodka with cranberry juice and fresh lime and every day it was there.

RESORT: You have to experience it to fully understand the luxury and beauty of this resort. It really is like no other. This year we took a walk over to the Maya next door just to see what some of the rest of the complex was like. All I can say is, while I'm sure many families have great vacations there and by family resort standards it looked very nice BUT for us, adults only is the ONLY way to travel. We were VERY happy to walk back up the beach and once again have the serenity and relaxing atmosphere of the Grand.
SPA POOL was fantastic! We hadn't ventured into the spa area last year because the weather was so nice however this year, even with 10 full days of sun, we wanted to try the indoor pool. Two mornings on our way to the main pool we dropped into the spa. We felt like it was our own private pool as we were the only ones there. After a nice relaxing swim we then enjoyed a dip in the hot tub with the sun shining in though the open roof. YES, the spa pool has a retractable roof which they open on nice days. So lovely.

STAFF: I cannot end this review without once again pointing out the most outstanding feature of this resort, it's staff. EVERYONE is so pleasant, courteous, polite and friendly. I will not try to list names because I would not want to exclude anyone we encountered during our stay. The level of professionalism is outstanding!

If you are searching for an adults only vacation for some needed rest and relaxation than just book it. It is more expensive than some others but it is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the tranquility pool are very quiet and the balconies are brighter than some other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel , and as a repetitive guest we double thank you for the loyalty and for choosing us. We hope that you had a pleasant return back home.

We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because that helps us impulse and increase our ambition to achieve top quality service levels. It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We sincerely appreciate your kind remark about the food, your suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that we will keep them in mind. Nevertheless we hope that despite this inconvenience you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you again.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Polish first
Lechlade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our fifth trip to this fantastic hotel. Stayed 24-31 March 2013.

As usual the Butler service was great, nothing was too much trouble, every time we went past a butler station we received a cheery wave and greeting no matter what time of day or evening, our Butler complained that we didn't use him enough but everything was so good we didn't need to.

My only criticism this visit was the change of menu in the Gourmet restaurant. I ordered sea bass and Lyonnaise potatoes, when my meal arrived they put the plate in front of me and on it was a cook in-bag containing the fish and potatoes, the waiters had to cut the top off the bag and I was supposed to eat it like that off the plastic on the plate ! It was very bland and not up to the usual standard, my husbands meal was not good either but I won't go on about that !

The food in the other restaurants was O K my favourite being the surf and turf, I don't eat Japanese food so can't comment on that. The evening buffets were fine but the lunches were really good, great chicken fajitas, lobster, roast meat, loads of things and the waiting staff were very good and attentive.

Walking around this hotel is wonderful, so much shiny marble, brilliant chandeliers, beautiful pools and well kept gardens, nothing is out of place, it's definately the best hotel I've ever stayed in in Mexico, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The rooms are kept spotless by house keeping, ours was usually cleaned whilst we were at breakfast. The mini bar was always stocked up with our choices of drinks, again nothing was too much trouble.

We were in building 71 beach front, and mostly sat on the beach in that area, the two waiters who looked after that side were really spot on, any drink you wanted they got.
We didn't take part in any of the activities organised by the entertainment team as we just wanted to chill out, but for those who like to join in it looked like they had a good time and lots of fun.

So we just had the one problem with the Gourmet restaurant, putting that aside everything else was so so good that we'd still most definitely return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, if you are in the main building there is no need to go outside to get to the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers, we are very excited that you selected our hotel for your vacations.

We appreciate your loyalty and we are very happy that it was your fifth time with us and that you still enjoy Iberostar Grand Paraiso; it means that we are doing things right.

In addition, thank you very much for mentioning the service given by our staff, it motivates us to continue improving.

Regarding your dinner at the gourmet restaurant, we are sorry for your dissatisfaction and would like to offer you an apology. We can assure you that your suggestion is going to be taken into consideration. We are pleased to read, however, that you enjoyed all the other meals at the other restaurants.

Please do not hesitate to contact us when you are planning your next vacations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once again.

Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Beautiful ambiance, great service, spectacular property, clean rooms. It is an all inclusive resort and a wide variety of food choices, however, on the third day we wanted to eat some outside food - you get sick of the same menu. Other than that, everything was 5 star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your opinion of your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your kind words as it pertained to our rooms, food, beverages and service.

We truly appreciate the comments made within your review about our food; we have several restaurants apart from the buffet, as well as all restaurants and buffets of our sister resorts in the complex, however, please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with all the departments involved in order to be addressed and improved. Your feedback is very important to us since it helps us to improve on a daily basis.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Modesto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was at the hotel for a week. My company had a retreat, but we had a lot of free time.

Pros:

Clean rooms, comfortable beds, beautiful location, salt water/fresh water pools, all-inclusive.

Cons:

Food (mostly buffet) was not very good and they had no Mexican food! some of the alcohol, layout, lack of good air conditioning,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a review.

Both your pros and cons comments have been forwarded to the head managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'll cut right to the chase and say this was an excellent resort...a solid 4.5 rating...and I would highly recommend it to anyone who asks - with the exception of foodies. For those of you who want more specifics, please keep reading!

What was Grand about the Grand:

* The resort itself is beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!!! It is amazingly clean here. Folks are working on the grounds and the upkeep 7x24 and it shows.
* My wife and I were treated like a king and queen here. We have never had such a high level of professional service on any vacation we have ever been on. From the bartenders and waiters, to the Star Friends, to the maids, to the ground crews, every single person in the resort seemed focused on our happiness. I think the concept of "butler service" is really over exaggerated, but it did not matter, because almost every person in all roles seemed to go out of the way to take care of us.
* As far as the rooms go, they were nice. Not Ritz Carlton nice, but appropriate for a high end beach front hotel. They were plenty big, they had a great patio / sitting area and the bed was comfortable. We got a beach front room and I would say it was totally worth it. If you can swing an upgrade, do it for sure.
* The pool is beautiful, and the ocean was incredible. A bit choppy if you wanted to swim, perhaps rocky in some parts, but the beach was well kept and the water was a beautiful blue green.
* And finally, the weather. I know its not always going to be sunny and 85, but it was last week. I'll take it!

What the Grand might want to work on:

* The food. I've seen a lot of comments on the food and I'm sorry, it just wasn't that good and single handedly kept me from giving this place a 5 rating. With this being a 5 star, all inclusive resort, the food was one of the selling points. I'm not saying the stuff was disgusting because it wasn't, but I guess I just had really high expectations coming in and I thought everything for the most part was just "OK". To dig a little deeper, the steak and lobster lunch buffet Olivia put on was AWESOME and the best meal of the trip. The surf and turf restaurant and the Japanese place were pretty good. The lunch and breakfast buffets in general were average. The gourmet place was not that good...and the Italian place was horrible. So again, even though this food was on par or even a little better than some other places we've been to, we were expecting much higher quality food here and it did not deliver.
* The Grand has got to upgrade it's wi-fi. I did not plan to sit on my iPad all trip, but after 12 hours of sun and food and drink and entertainment, I needed to just chill out for a half hour. During that rare down time, it would have been nice to grab my iPad, sit on my balcony, look at the ocean and see what was going on back home.

So there you have it. Not much to improve on in my book. Again, I'd really rate this place a 4.5...but that's not an option...and I can't give it a 5 based off my opinion of the food so I settled on a 4. I LOVED this place, I highly recommend it and I would go back in a heart beat. One of my top vacations I've been on. 5 star accomodations? You bet. 5 star service? Without a doubt. 5 star liquor? My liver says yes indeed. 5 star pool? 5 star ocean? 5 star experience? Yes, yes and yes. 5 star food? No way baby. But even that can't change the facts that this place is #1 in Playa Paraiso for a reason. Go and have a ball.

Room Tip: Ocean Front rooms are worth it. Get one if you can. And Humberto in the lobby bar? Best bartende...
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel for your last vacations. We appreciate your warm and honest comments and suggestions; we are committed to listen to our guests who are the main reason to improve our services.

We appreciate your taking the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and there is no doubt they will be motivated by your kind words.

We have passed on your comments on our culinary offer to management and the Executive Chef for consideration.

Regarding Wifi, thanks to our guests’ comments, we will be upgrading the wifi service in the lobby, and introduce it in rooms and other areas of the resort.

We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!

McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Spent a week at Iberostar Grand, and had a very enjoyable experience. We have been going to Mexico for over 20 years, and have visited many cities and properties, so we have a varied experience base. Have also stayed at several of the other Iberostar hotels in Playa, so have a good basis of comparison.

Service: 8/10. Check-in was painless, and service in the restaurants was typically quite good. Also, whenever we called up for room service, the food was typically delivered within 10 minutes...nice and speedy. Also, you are assigned a butler when you check-in, and they are available to assist you throughout your stay. Something we really appreciated was the Bell Captain called us the day before departure to arrange a luggage pick-up time. Then, on the day of departure, he called about 15 minutes prior to the arranged time to see if it was still all good. We said yes, and a bellhop arrived within 5 minutes.

Room: 10/10. No complaints on this. The room was great. Extremely clean, which is the only way we like it. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens - not the ratty stuff you see in other resorts. Bathroom was huge, with his and hers on seperate sides with separate sinks!!! Seperate jacuzzi tub and shower. Also, separate his and hers closets. Mini bar was stocked with soda, beer, wine, alcohol and snacks, and was replenished daily.

Food: 7/10. Some things were great, and others were not very impressive. While breakfast was nice, it was the same exact food EVERY single day. Even the same breakfast pastries and fruit. Would've liked more variety. In fact, the Iberostar Maya and Linda, had more interesting breakfasts when we stayed at those properties. Lunch was successful, as they have a nice restaurant right at the beach and the food was good quality. I ate lobster tail for seven days in a row...no complaints there. The a la carte restaurants were nice, but I didn't think they rated above the a la cartes at Iberostar Maya/Linda. My favorite is actually the seafood restaurant at the Maya. We tried all the a la cartes at the Grand. The Japanese was poor, unless you like Benihana. Gourmet, Surf and Turf and Italian were fine. We also had dinner in the main buffet restaurant one evening as the concierge recommended we go to Brazil Night. Unfortunately, there was nothing Brazilian about it. We have eaten at many Brazilian restaurants and have traveled to Rio, and I didn't see anything nearly Brazilian at the dinner.

Bars: 9/10. A variety of bars were available throughout the resort, but we are not big drinkers. We typically had drinks served at the beach, and then would hit the lobby bar each evening. The nice aspect was top shelf alcohol consistently.

Pool: 9/10. We didn't spend much time at the pool as we are beach people, but there are three to choose from. The main outdoor pool is nice, clean and large. There is a second outdoor serenity pool that is also nice. The third pool is indoor next to a spa. It is very nice as far as indoor pools go, and the whole roof opens and they have a juice bar. But, it was odd that it was always filled with older people, like a scene from Cocoon.

Beach 10/10. Home run with the beach. Clean, expansive and just right. Lounge chairs were nice and they even had beach beds out there which we used on most days. Plenty of palapas to provide shade if the sun got to be too much. Service was good and plenty of towels. Nice aspect is that it was sedate as they don't allow children. So, when we would walk by the other Iberostar properties it was a huge difference between our beach and theirs.

Wildlife: 1/10. The one thing that was not to our liking was the wildlife. At breakfast each morning, we would see these animals (not sure of their names, but I posted photos), come out of the greenery and approach tables. If nobody was at the table, they literally jumped up on the chair, then onto the table to grab food. If none was available, they grabbed sugar packets. If someone was at a table, these things have learned how to sit up on their hind legs and beg for food. Even though the hotel says not to feed them, people do feed them and encourage the behavior. One guy was sitting out there and feeding the animal, and it reached out for more and scratched him...uh oh! I am not very interested in having to deal with that, so while we enjoy eating outdoors, that was crossed of our list at this hotel.

We go on these vacations to relax and just hang out, so can't comment on the activities or the nightly shows, as we opt-out of those things.

I would definitely return to the Iberostar Grand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the time you invested in writing your review and on behalf of the management and staff of IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso we would like to express gratitude for your words including the highlights of your trip as your room, restaurants, food and other services.

We appreciate your kind feedback as it allows us to continuously improve our services including our breakfasts or theme nights at the buffet, we assure we will take note of your suggestions.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I did read some of the other reviews before going to the Grand. I will say, I was a bit apprehensive because of the complaints - Also, I consider myself a picky person...but keep reading my review and youll see how amazing this hotel really is.

My husband and I vacationed at the Grand Paraiso April 6th - 13. This was our first major vacation as a couple (we've been married for five years!). Upon arrival, the attendants that greet you at the door are extremely welcoming. You wont have to lift a finger! You are given cold towels, graced with a sweet anise scent to help cool you off after your plane and taxi/bus ride. At check-in, the employees are so nice - check-in was a breeze. And to boot, we were upgraded (at no cost to us) from an Oceanview suite, to an Oceanfront Suite! This totally made our trip even more amazing.

I wont get into the day-to-day details of what we did...(other than completely relax and be catered to!) - but here are some of the highlights:

- from the bellboy who gave us a golfcart ride to our room, to our concierge, to the butler - we were taken care of like royalty. Our Oceanfront room was immaculate. Our butler provided me with a bottle of Bacardi because I asked for one, along with a plate full of limes and plenty of Coke, EVERYDAY!

- the pools are very clean. And yes, it is true - you have to get out in the morning early if youd like to stake your claim on a certain lounge chair. Hey, there are lots of guests - two huge pools and the ocean..deal with it! Do people expect one chair/lounge sofa for every person staying in this massive hotel? If you do, youre not being realistic. The beach offered plenty of seats, as well as the quiet pool You have to either get out there early every day and put down a book and a towel, or just find a spot if you wake up later. This was NOT a big deal to me at all...

- The food: Now, I am very picky when it comes to food...I have not one complaint about the food. The buffet is unreal - (and the bacon? not your usual cheapo grocery store bacon!)...I was very impressed. Fresh juices at breakfast was a huge plus, try getting back back in the states...HA! The restaurants were awesome as well. Sure, you had to make reservations - but really - whats the big deal? Heres WHY they ask you to make reservations (and also cap off the number of people in one restaurant at one time) - If you have 300 guests in the hotel, and EVERYONE decides to one restaurant or even two of the four available on one night...the other three sit there with no guests AND the restaurants occupied are overwhelmed, people will be waiting, etc. And why are there empty seats at restaurants that are "booked"? Each restaurant has limited waitstaff and cooks, they all work at different restaurants each night, alternating. It makes sense, but apparently some people who reviewed this hotel poorly dont get it. This keeps the quality level and service at the FIVE stars you expect.....do you want QUANTITY or QUALITY? You decide! **ALSO - I am gluten free and told this to my butler, he immediately made the hotel aware of this after he left and EVERY restaurant that I went to that night made exceptions for me, even at the Japanese restaurant, all of my food was cooked separately with my Gluten Free soy sauce that I brought with me...now THATS service! Try getting THAT back in the US!!!!!)

Star Friends - these guys and girls are great. They arent overly pushy when asking to do activities either. They are really a great bunch of people. I give them so much credit for having so much energy and being so happy all of the time. Jonathan, Abraham, Carlos and Eduardo are awesome, after day one they knew us by name and would come say hello and chat with us.

Tipping - apparently, some people just assume that because the hotel is all-inclusive that tipping is not needed. THIS IS NOT TRUE. The buffet waiters were tipped for keeping our water and drinks filled, for removing our plates and for their amazing personalities! Our maid was tipped sometimes TWICE a day for keeping our room perfectly clean and turning down our bed (when you come in from the beach, you bring sand in with you - our maid removed every speck of it, every day!) Our butler was tipped often because he kept our bar full, and even surprised us with a rose petal Jacuzzi one night, with swan towels on our bed. Truly, amazing! **Remember, the people who work at the hotel bust their butts to keep you happy - for VERY little pay...they RELY on tips. Its amazing how many people we saw, that never left ONE tip for ANYONE!. Expect to tip between $40-60 MINIMUM a day in tips (depending on how much you eat/drink)**

Overall - every single person that we came into contact with was awesome. I wouldnt change a thing. Oh wait, yes - one thing I would change if I could? - The morons who acted like drunk sports fans inside the buffet at lunch and at the pool bar. They were obnoxious, rude and obviously had zero clue of how to behave. Thankfully they got the hint once people gave them some dirty looks.

Room Tip: Building 70 is great! Especially near the end - quiet and away from the pool when it gets a bit cro...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to receive such positive comments. We have shared them with our team and we are all very proud to have exceeded your expectations.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon to Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!