“A Wonderful Week” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Kentwood, Michigan
“A Wonderful Week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We are spoiled, but not ugly Americans who have been to Sandals, Dreams, Beaches, Secrets, Couples, Excellence, etc. This is truly a wonderful resort.

We particularly appreciated the universally gracious and helpful staff. The word "No" is outside of their vocabulary! And this strikingly beautiful resort was immaculately groomed and extremely clean. The beach is huge and clean and the pools are tremendous. There is a cute little shopping area in the central Iberostar complex.

A couple of critical/helpful suggestions and observations. A dive into the pool revealed that it is not salt free. And the best chairs around the pool and beach front are reserved (cruise-style) by 5:30am. (I discovered this time on our last day when I went for an early morning run.) I generally was able to get one of the last cabana chairs at 6:20am, but saw a lot of folks wandering around with towels after breakfast. Chairs sat empty for many hours with no enforcement. I was looking forward to some snorkeling. There was nothing much worth seeing just offshore of the resort, so I checked with the dive shop. Yes, they have a daily 90 minute snorkeling trip, and for a mere $80.00 my wife and I could join them. Ouch, I'm familiar with this being a free "non-motorized activity." And while the average age appeared to be 50-something, most evening activities started at 10pm, a bit late for those of us in that age group. There was generally nothing to do but hang out at the bar after dinner. And the entertainment that we attended was a bit cheesy . . . the magician was worthy of a bar mitzvah. We would have appreciated a daily paper with the day's activities, something that most other resorts do.

In general, the food was excellent, near the best we have had. There is only one option for breakfast, the buffet, but I found that you could order Eggs Benedictine off the menu. One pet peeve of mine is attempting to make an omelette on a griddle, which they did. But the overall quality and breadth of the food was great. We enjoyed both buffets for lunch (the only options), especially the grilled lobster, the Kobe burgers, the Caesar salad, and the guacamole. The themed evening buffets ranged from so-so (Mexican and Italian) to great (International). The show around the pool after the International buffet should provide a model for the other evenings.

Of the other restaurants, we most enjoyed the Japanese (a la carte). The sushi was fresh, the tempura perfectly made, and the banana dessert out of this world! The Italian restaurant was also very good. The Surf & Turf was a bit weaker for us. I found it weird to get my salad served along with my steak. The Gourmet restaurant was not very good nor very well named. My crepes Suzette flambe were particularly disappointing . . . no flames and apples the consistency of apple sauce.

Or room was fabulous. It was definitely worth it to get an ocean front room. The cleaning and turn down service was excellent.

Overall, a great place that we would recommmend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent stay.

We appreciate your kind words as it pertained to our rooms, food, beverages, service, pools and Beach. We also appreciate the time that you have taken to make constructive comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because that helps us impulse and increase our ambition to achieve top quality service levels. It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We sincerely appreciate your kind remark about the time of the night activities and the food at the Gourmet and Surf & Turf Restaurant, your suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that we will keep it in mind. Nevertheless we hope that despite this inconvenience you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more. We are proud to give unforgettable experiences to our guests and pleased to see that we have reached our goal.

Thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcome you back, hopefully soon.

2,875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Polish first
Amherst, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have just returned from yet another wonderful vacation at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We were there from March 11- 18. It is still just as wonderful as always and the staff, if anything, is better than ever. The service is truly exceptional. One of the benefits of being "frequent" guests at the Grand is that you get to know the staff. It is great to be greeted by Ricardo, by name, as we alight from the van. The wonderful front desk reception staff headed by the gracious Io'ana make checking in a pleasure. ( A glass of champagne or a nice tropical cocktail helps too! ) To discover that Victor was once again our butler made our day! Victor goes above and beyond to make sure that everything is right for you.

The food was delicious, beautifully prepared and artfully presented. We were interested to discover that the menus are undergoing some changes. The Italian restaurant, "Venecia," has an expanded menu over years past and we understand that changes are coming at the other restaurants as well. This is a welcome change for those of us who continue to return to the Grand, year after year (this was our 7th trip to this wonderful resort). The wait staff are well trained and eager to please. Since I am cursed with an allergy to chocolate and I am also trying to stick to the South Beach diet, my requests for modifications to menu offerings were always graciously received and to my complete satisfaction. For all of the fans of "Tony's Surf and Turf" who might be worried about menu changes, you can relax, that menu continues to have the "classic surf and turf" and also the "double cut filet mignon." The specialty nights at the Bella Vista buffet continue to delight and surprise you with their offerings. Don't miss Sunday's Mexican Night buffet at Bella Vista complete with a Mariachi band that appears around 8pm. Also a Brazilian Night, on Mondays if I am not mistaken, offered lots of delicious selections to choose from. Olivia, one of the great chefs at the Grand, offered lessons on how to prepare various dishes and also cooked excellent omelets every morning.

While the weather was a little on the cool side, it was perfect for our "long" walks through the entire Paraiso complex, stopping on the return leg, at the lobby bar in the Lindo for a 10 am "wake me up" Bloody Mary. (Yes, I know that's not allowed on the South Beach diet...but at least I didn't have an order of fries with it!) Only by visiting the other resorts can you see all the birds, plants and animals. However, while the coatimundis are now everywhere and a delight to watch, the largest group still seems to hang out on the walkway to the beach by the Lindo buffet.

There were lots of swimmers in the sea, but the cool temperatures frequently sent us to the indoor pool where we swam laps and enjoyed the hot tub. One of the special things about the Grand is that even with less than perfect weather, there are still plenty of options of things to do....which leads me to discuss shopping! In the past, it was our impression that the prices at the Paraiso Commercial Center and the shops in the five resorts were higher than the prices in Playa del Carmen. That is certainly not the case now! The prices are very competitive and in some cases considerably cheaper. I think the merchants in Playa have decided that they should be charging "resort" prices. However, if you decide to go into Playa del Carmen, a bus leaves from the Lindo lobby several times each day. The fare is still $5.00 US or $50 mx each way. The drop off point in Playa is on the northern end of 5th Avenue. Also, the "folk art" vendors are back at the Lindo, on the walkway by the theatre, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights.

Massages are available on the beach, in the indoor pool and at the main spa in the Commercial Center. My wife suggests asking for Eli at the Commercial Center Spa for an excellent massage.

For the "liquid lunch," afternoon cocktail, aperatif, dinner wine, after dinner digestif and any other time you need an infusion of alcohol, you are well cared for by an excellent bar staff at fourteen different locations on the Grand premises. That's the number given to me by Martin, the new head of the bars. Martin has just recently been promoted to that position and he is doing a great job. There is nothing quite so satisfying after an excellent meal at the Grand than to go to the Cigar Bar, light up a stogie and enjoy a glass of Xtabentún.

Evening entertainment continues to be excellent and the Star Friends are delightful.

We can't wait to get back to the Grand for visit number 8!

Room Tip: Oceanfront or overlooking the Tranquility Pool!
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you invested in writing us and on behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Grand Paraiso we would like to express our gratitude for your kind words including the highlights of your trip such as restaurants, food and other services. We recognize our staff plays a valuable role in our guest experiences and comments like yours serve to motivate us even more.

Your review and the impression you have expressed about our hotel make us really proud! It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We consider it a great honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again home for 8th time!

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have been to Mexico three times before - Aventura Spa Palace, The Sun Palace and the Excellence Playa Mujeres - all 5* - we decided to try the Grand as we were recommended and liked the look of the trip advisor reviews. So I have compared the Grand to the other resorts.
Arrival at the hotel - bit of a lukewarm reception, took about 10 mins to get offered a drink. Check in was quite long winded and then had to wait 10 mins for a bell boy [weird considering we were the only ones checking in.
Room - really nice room, quite European in its decoration but very clean and quiet. Bell boy let us in and said the Butler would be along to show us all the amenities. We stayed in building 72 nd it was a great location. After unpacking and waiting for an hour we phoned the concierge as to where the Butler was - he arrived after a few mins and showed us what was what in the room.
Not really sure about this Butler lark - had I not read most of the info on trip advisor about what they are supposed to do for you he would not have offered! He did not tell us we could choose what we wanted in our mini bar, or that we could rent a DVD and many other little things.
Meals - I have to agree with some of the other reviews about the food that it was not the best . I am not saying it was bad just not quite as good as some of the other resorts we have been in. Cannot fault the quantity or the selection but a few things let them down for us. Just because you can have lobster everyday doesn't mean its the best quality or cooked that well - very over done in our opinion. Best lobster was the day it was cooked fresh whilst we waited on the BBQ. The steak in Tonis was excellent and we enjoyed the Japanese. Room service menu was very limited but to be fair they would always try to accommodate any other requests. Room service was very quick and always so polite. We had 4 nights in out of the 14 .
Pools/Spa - pools were clean and large but cold - mind you it was so hot most days after the initial squeal at getting in it was lovely! Sun beds need updating. We sunbathed at the Tranquil pool most days.
I will also point out that the no one told us about the spa over in the shopping centre - check in never said we could use it free of charge and neither did our Butler.Once again this is what I mean by not being given enough info. We did not realize you could use the other hotels!
Beaches - lovely white sand that stretches for miles and miles! They kept our beach lovely and clean.
Staff - they are the ones who deserve the best rating - That is why this hotel gets such good reviews! They are so polite and friendly and you really feel anything you ask they will do their best!
Golf - my husband played and said it was a really good course. He got 4 free rounds as were there 2 weeks - most of the Americans got free golf all the time as their travel agents got better deals than us. I would suggest pushing your travel agent to get this as well although each round was only USD50 which is very cheap for golf over there.
Overall I think this hotel was great - a few things we would like done differently but we are all different and you cannot please us all! We would definitely go back there. The hotel is mainly set up for the American/Canadian market as these are the main bulk of visitors and that's fair enough. We had trouble getting any restaurant reservations before 21.30 but after making friends with some regular [9 times!] Grand visitors they spoke to their Butler and got us in straight away at 19.00! Shows its who you know!
As I said I don't think this hotel is the best one we have ever stayed in but I think value for money and the service it comes very close!

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for a sea view as you are not in the room enough to warrant the extra!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction about certain aspects of our service and would like to offer our apologies as your experience fell short of the high standards we strive to maintain at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. We take unsatisfactory experiences like yours very seriously, so please rest assured that your feedback has been well received and will be used to improve our services.

Your comments have been read by our managers and we are working to make the correct changes to satisfy all nationalities and tastes and guarantee the best experience in comfort and relaxation.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. It has been very helpful to us.

Kind regards
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Iberostar after a 6 day stay. The trip was amazing! Worth every penny and more if you are looking for a nice hustle free relaxing time.
Check In:
As soon as we arrived the staff was waiting for us. We arrived before the check in time but our room was ready for us. My husband got us upgraded to building 71 - ocean front room. We were on the first floor and there was no noise bugging us. Some reviews mentioned furniture being moved etc - we heard nothing!!!!!!!! Our check in went smooth thanks to Janine!

Room:
Very spacious and clean. Bed is very comfortable and the pillow menu is a good touch. The bathroom is very nice with a hug tub and 2 vanities. Nice glass shower. Each balcony has a nice lounge bed with a comfy mattress and a swing. It was very nice to spend some afternoons just reading and listening to the waves.

Grounds:
HUGE!!! Very well taken care of with great landscaping and so so so clean!

Food:
The food was very good. A variety to every taste - lamb, lobster, caviar, steak, fish etc Everything is very well cooked and presented. We had no trouble what so ever getting reservations for dinner and the resort was pretty much at full capacity. We weren't picky as to what time we ate so having early or late reservations did not spoil our trip as some of previous guests have said about their dinners.

Room Service:
Extremely fast and very fresh - not premade in advance. Every night we would order cappuccinos and fresh fruit for breakfast for a specific time and every morning to a tee it would get delivered on time. Amazing service!

Tips:
Not everyone tips, but we did. We would leave some money for the girls who cleaned our room and some for the turn down service. Tipped at the restaurants and at the bar. The people work so hard and go out of their way to make you feel welcome beyond what the job requires so we just wanted to shoe our appreciation. Keep in mind that tipping is not expected but very appreciated by the staff.

Star Friends:
Great group of guys and girls who organize daily activities by the pool and the beach. Also they are the ones that put on a show every night at 10pm - and those shows are very entertaining and fun!!!! The boogie night was a lot of fun and the magician were my favorite. If you can make some time to get to know some of the star friends. They all have a very interesting story to tell and they are just amazing people who work extremely hard!!!!!! The management of the resort should be proud of their staff!!!!!
We are in our late 20s and we go on vacations specifically for relaxation. If you are looking for a party spot - THIS RESORT IS NOT FOR YOU.

Golf:
My husband golfed every day. He loved the course! Its huge and beautiful. If you go to the range the bucket of balls is $10US.

We have stayed at Secrets Maroma just 2 month ago. That was our first trip to Mexico. We loved it so much that we decided to come back just 2 month after and were very happy to try this resort out. Secrets is a very nice resort, but the grounds are not us large, there are no rooms right on the beach, and there is no golf. However, the beach and the pool at Secrets was a bit nicer than Iberostar - the pool was heated and the beach had no rocks. The two resorts are just 20 min walk along the beach apart from each other.

Love Love Love this resort and we will definitely be back!!!!

Room Tip: We were in building 71 room 7114 and we thought it was a great room - on the quieter side of the bea...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your very first visit to our resort!

We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of food and beverage, nice rooms, tranquil pool, beach, and the very best in personalized service.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

With our very best regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our second trip to the Grand was fabulous, as expected. The hotel is stunning and safe. The staff is attentive. The food was excellent. We spent most of our trip swimming at the pool, which was very clean.The hotel was near empty when we went and we had a chance to get to know some of the other guests which was fun.

I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and this is still the best.

My only complaint is that the hotel hallways needed some vacuuming. I think I was purposely looking for things to nitpick though!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback about your past stay.

It is always a pleasure to read such great comments about the facilities, food and excellent service that our team provides, which we have already shared with them :-).

We are glad that we managed to exceed your expectations and that you had such enjoyable vacations. We will take your comment on the hallways into consideration and make sure they are sparkling clean on your return; thanks for your feedback!

Once again, thank you for having stayed with us; we are looking forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.

Best regards,

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Impeccable setting with outstanding service! Although the food is very good, it is not quite what you might find at a five star restaurant in the US. They will make a drink to your exact specifications if you ask, otherwise it may be a little heavy on the mixers. Overall a great experience. Will definitely make an effort to return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your latest vacation, and for sharing your experience. It is always nice to know that we have met your expectations with our outstanding service.

We appreciate your kind words as it pertained to our rooms, food, beverages and service; and that you found the service from our team to be helpful and friendly; we are sure they will be greatly encouraged by your positive feedback.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back on many future occasions to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso: your home away from home.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso 6 -9 March as the hotel we had booked in the UK was full and we were sent to the Grand Paraiso.
I have to say that it is one of the best hotels my husband and I have ever stayed in.
You cannot complain about any aspect- the service, rooms, beach were all exceptional standard.
As for the food,well that was amazing. Our favourite was the French restaurant and Toni's, both the service and quality of the food was of exceptional standard.
Like another review by the 'Andies' we too are British and agree it may seem expensive, however once you have stayed there and experience the beautiful decor, clean rooms, fab food and have such an overall awsome stay, it is well worth every penny.
If you are thinking of going to Mexico and the Riviera Maya, I would strongly recommend you stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.
We will certainly be staying there again in the future

Room Tip: I would stay overlooking the beach or the tranquility pool.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review shared on this website.

Your kind words about our rooms, food, and the staff and the entire welcoming and friendly atmosphere means a lot to us.

We are proud of our hardworking and friendly staff, who continue helping us reach our goal of being one the best resort in the Caribbean. Your review shows that we are on the right track to achieve this goal!

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!