“Best Ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
North Wales, PA
“Best Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Having used TripAdvisor to make our decision to stay at the Grand, I feel obligated to at least make some comments. I'm not going to repeat the comments of most of the other entries; I'll just sum up by saying that my wife and I, who have travelled extensively in the world, found everything at this resort to be first class. Our vacation experience was the best.
Since food quality is a major decision factor for us, I thought that I would post some pictures of the food we had since most of the pictures posted by others are of the facilities. My wife, who is a lobster junkie, had lobster in one form or another every day. For myself, having a pasta station available each day was the best.
We will definitely return next year.

• Liked — Modern, clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — I had to leave it eventually
10 Thank NWales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
  • Polish first
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We just returned from our Honeymoon trip to the Grand Paraiso. There are many great things to say about this place. I will kind of go in the order we were exposed to the resort. The grounds are beautiful. Flowers everywhere. Palm trees swaying with the constant breeze. The lobby is very nice. You step down into a circular area full of flowers and plants. We had a drink at the lobby bar(shot of tequila) while we waited for the bellman to get us checked in. We waited for about 15 minutes and we decided to go to the desk to see what was happening. Our bellman had disappeared but Sarah checked and our ocean front room in building 70(best building) was ready. They gave a ride on the golf cart (they are glad to take you anywhere at anytime on the carts) to our room. On the way we passed to main pool which was incredible. Infinty pool that looks right out into the sea. We stayed on the second floor in 7033. We had requested 3rd floor/non smoking but didn't get either one. We should have been told at check in our request were not met. There only about 40 non smoking rooms out of the 300+ rooms. It really wasn't a problem. We did not smell any smoke in the room. The thing about the room is the VIEW. Any picture can't do it justice. Let me talk about the ocean front thing. We paid the difference to be sure we got the room on the ocean front. We did speak to 2 people quite randomly who were upgraded to ocean front. It kind of irked me but I got the view I wanted without risk. I spoke to the customer service manager and she said sometimes they book all of the garden view rooms and have to upgrade people to the rooms they have available. Enough said. If you want to take a chance and save the money then you have to be ok with how the cards fall. We met our butler Rene.He was very nice. They had a fruit basket in our room for the honeymoon thing. He will go over everything in the room. The lights are pretty cool. Some of them come on when you enter the room. Others go off when there is no movement. The A/C goes off if you open the patio door. A nice swing and couch on the balcony with a ceiling fan. Make sure you are clear about what you want in your mini bar. We had some confusion about Dos XX. I wanted it in. They had down I didn't. They will get anything you want. Make sure you get your butler to set up your dinner reservations when you get there. Even though they might not be busy it is hard to get in without a reservation. If you can wait to eat until around 7:30 or so it gives you more time outdoors. It also leaves less time between the dinner and the entertainment at 10 pm in the theater. Be sure to check out the shows. The Disco and Broadway show were great. The magic show was pretty cool as well. Make sure you get there a little early. Some nights they set up some gaming tables for a little blackjack and roulette. There is dancing after most shows.
Back to the room. It is laid out very well. Nice bathroom with separate vanities and a large jetted tub. Tile is a little slippery. Safe is in the closet. His and her closets. Once pass the bed you step down to a table and a lounge chair. They have free internet if you bring your laptop. There is a computer room with 3 computers to use. No charge. They will unpack for you if you like. They also have a free ironing service. They will wash clothes for you but there is a charge. We went exploring after getting settled.
La Brisa is the breakfast and lunch restaurant on the beach. The breakfast buffet is a little smaller than the main restaurant but it is fine. Better views. We had lobster and grilled shrimp for lunch. Shrimp is not on the menu but they will make it for you. You can also get some nachos and a burger on the beach. Aaron was tthe beach food and drink person we saw the most. Hard worker.
We had hamburgers and fries one day under our tiki hut. The main restaurant building is at the far end of the main pool (salt water but doesn't feel like it). Downstairs on the left is the buffet, on the right is the gourmet, upstairs on the left is the surf anf turf, and the japanese is on the right. There is also an italian a little further down clsoer to the lobby. The theater is to the right of the lobby looking out the front door. There is a tranquility pool to the left side of the restaurants. Nice cabanas for sleeping but no bar. Someone does come around now and then. On the right side is the spa pool. Looked inside but since the weather was perfect never spent any time inside. Make sure you explore the other resorts. You can also dine on the other resorts. We ate at the mexican one night. That is the cool thing, you can go to the other resorts ( maya, beach, lindo) but they can't come to yours. It is all in the annoying wristband color.

Let's talk about drinking. Miami Vice, Electric Lemonade, Blue Hawaii. Just to name a few thirst quenchers. The pool bar guys are pretty good. If you are a daily regular a few bucks will get you even better service.This resort offers the top shelf stuff. Crown Royal was my thing. Wine in you room, Champagne for that specail occaision. Anything you want. The beach guys get around pretty good as well. We took a fold up cooler and put beer and water from the mini fridge in it when we went to the beach.

Let's talk about food. I read a bunch of reviews and food comments were mixed. Overall I thought the food was very good. Make sure you ask for melted butter with you lobster. We ate at the surf and turf twice. Double cut filet was very good. Tuna medallions were good. If you like it rare make sure they understand. The japanese was typical but was still very good. Hibachi tables or regular seating. The italian was good but there was no spaghetti and meatballs. Northern italian. Fish, pork and such. Minnestroni soup was good. Set outside at this one. Set outside when you eat at La Brisa as well. The buffets were very good. They have several stations preparing different things. The pasta station was great. Lots of good fruit. We ordered breakfast for room service. It was actually still hot when it came. We didn't do any other room service.

Let's talk about the service. Some of the best I have encountered. Everyone spoke and smiled. It you have the chance to learn some spanish it would be good. Most speak some english. Some are very fluent. The waiters were very professional. Carry your plate at the buffet, pull your chair out, dirty dishes quickly removed. Great group of people. FYI. They clean rooms up to 5 pm. If you want yours cleaned earlier make sure you let your butler know.

We booked through FUNJET. We paid for private transportation and it was worth it. Rode back to airport in a super stretch Navigator.

Off to the left of the lobby is a room where the excursion people are. You can buy a phone card in there for $20. It gives you 12 minutes. Do not use your room phone. We didn't do any excursions. Make sure you get the scoop from your butler before you decide on anything.

At the end of the beach to left is Dressell Divers. They do snorkling trips, jet skis($65 for 1/2 hour), parasailing ($120 for 2 people for 15 minutes) and diving. I didn't take my fins and mask but wish i had of. They let you use the stuff for 1 hour a day. If you keep it is $15 per day. I did take a short snorkling trip on their boat about 10 minutes away from th resort. Pretty good for fish and such. Coral was not that colorful. Pretty shallow. It is inside circular reef so it is pretty calm. Saw lobster, big grouper, squid and lots of fish ($31 bucks cash)

The do several activities at the pool, Volleyball, spanish lessons, rumba lessons, bingo, etc. They have 2 ping pong tables as well.
They have books you can borrow. Pretty recent releases.

Go out early and reserve your tiki hut. Just put some towels and book down. It will be waiting for you when you are ready. Be very careful of the sun. It is easy to get fried. Saw way too many burnt people. Be careful of the guys selling stuff on the beach. Remember if it sounds too good it is.

We went to Playa Del Carmen one day. You can take a cab. $20 each way. About 20 minute ride. The bellman will take you up to the road to catch the Playa Express bus. Only $2 per person. We rode the bus there and took a cab back. Lots of shops and pesky sales people. Don't buy in the first shop. Always say you don't really like it even if you really do. Don't be afraid to walk away. Guy offered 2 free beers to eat in his restaurant so we did. I think are some good deals to be had. Just make sure you go in several shops before you buy.

Please look for a couple of the nicest people we met. Alberto was a butler in our building. Our camera broke and he let us use his for 4 days. Pablo was one of the bellman. Great kid. A great source of info. We asked for him when we wanted to go somewhere in the golf cart.

Tipping. I am still a little unsure about this topic. My package said gratuities included. I asked the butler about it and he said it was up to me but was certainly appreciated. I tipped Alberto, Pablo and Aaron the beach boy at the end of our trip. I did give the waiters a few bucks if they did a super great job.

At the Maya next door on the beach there is a place to paint pottery. We painted something and the guy finished it up and it turned out great. They cook burgers and chicken outside at the Maya. It is just a short walk. Get something and bring it back to your chair.

Kids. I love my son but I was glad there where not any little ones around. The pool was a lot more fun for us. The beaches are public so they may wander down.

The beach was great but the swimming in front of the Grand was a little tough. Too many rocks. They do drag and rake the beach daily. Go down in front of the Maya to swim. Sunfish sailboats and kayaks are free. You canride the banana for a charge. You don't have to check towels so get as many as you want.

Summary. If you want total relaxation then this is the place. Nap, read, walk, drink and eat. That is it. We very impressed with the cleanliness and the attention to detail. We will definitely go back.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Rocks in the water at the beach
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank bubschubs
Cocoa Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

We are leaving tomorrow after 4 days at the Grand. This is a truly gorgeous hotel with no expense spared on accommodation, design, decor, amenities or space. It could truly be a fabulous resort if they would make some improvements.

Food is good but in our opinion, not great. Menu items are often not as described. Case in point my "Low Fat Omelette" described as egg whites with pumpkin flowers and ricotta cheese arrived with only egg whites, nothing else. This happened more often than not. Food quality was good but my husband and I both found the dishes bland, rarely served hot, and the fish dishes were quite fishy.

Also, the reservation system does not work and needs to be changed in my opinion. Each night the restaurants had MANY empty tables, even though the concierge proclaimed them completely booked for the time we requested (8pm) each and every night. It got annoying after a while. We learned that others fixed the problem by slipping a 20 or simply showed up demanding a table. IMO, dining should not be a hassle.

The restaurants themselves are gorgeous and service was always efficient though seldom did anyone check on us to see if we needed anything. Courses were not delivered at all at the Japanese and also the Italian or served out of sync at the Italian. There was not much attention to detail and service was more mechanical than gracious.

One morning we were seated outside at the buffet and forgotten completely, despite going in to request napkins and silver, which my husband ended up going back and getting himself. I brought this to the attention of management and did not have the problem again.

Beach is quite nice with plenty of chairs and regular service. Towels were used for beach bed saving every day, with many unoccupied for hours at a time. Dirty glasses and towels were left at poolside for a couple of hours at a time, not the hallmark of a luxury property.

Butlers were very nice but we only requested one or two services; they were handled promptly and efficiently.

Gym is undersized and under equipped for the property and more of an afterthought. There are some classes offered throughout the day but we did not use them so cannot comment.

A/C appeared to be regulated to go off in the middle of the night and my husband would get up every time and turn it back on.

Room is spacious and comfortable, bedding nice, but we did not like the glass door to the toliet area as it affords no privacy and forces one to close the two large outside doors each time it is used.

Nightlife is quiet but we expected this and it was not a problem. We did not venture over to the main complex as we generally opted for our room or balcony after dinner.

Dress code was not enforced. We saw one young woman allowed into the Italian in bermudas and flip flops and men in the Surf and Turf in shorts and sneakers. These restaurants are so elegant that we felt it a shame. We also saw ragged jeans and flip flops.

All in all, we simply did not find the resort to be special, did not feel special and had no memorable meals, though most were pleasant. For the price point and the glowing recommendations, we were disappointed.

We would both rate the Grand a 7 overall with very high marks in decor and luxury and not so high in food and service. For us, we prefer other resorts so will be unlikely to return.

• Liked — Spacious and immaculate
  • Disliked — Door to toilet
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank caviargal
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

This top shelf resort is designed with couples in mind. One of the managers mentioned that, even at full capacity, it is meant to facilitate the feeling of seclusion. Thus, you often feel like you're the only one here, particulary during off-peak months.
I've done a fair amount of travelling and I believe this is the cleanest hotel I've ever visited. There is always someone, somewhere cleaning something. The staff visits the room no less than three times to tidy or re-stock.
We loved the pool bar (the best place to meet other people) and the beach (the only place to sunbathe topless). Surprisingly, we also enjoyed the nightly shows. We expected them to be far too hokey but, though there was a touch of cheddar in every show, the performers were quite good.
It's worth while taking a walk through the neighboring Iberostar properties. Thankfully, the cruch of humanit there is not allowed over at Grand Hotel.
If you golf, I suggest you take advantage of your free round (or two if you're there 5 nights or more). The course is in great shape for a resort facility in such a warm climate.
The restaurants are not four star (a solid three most of the time) but the variety and level of service certainly close the gap a bit.
For the money, I thought this to be a great value. There are many other "four star" resorts in the Carribbean that charge much more. We'll certainly be back, so long as this disparity exists.

• Liked — The quiet...
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
11 Thank SvenJ
oakland, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Our stay was 8 nights in an ocean front suite. My wife and I are in our 50's. We have stayed at 6 mexico all inclusive resorts. 3 have been Iberostar. This was our first time in an adult's only. I like kids, but we sure didn't miss them. We will go this route from here on. There is nothing bad to be said about this hotel. It is first class all the way. The other Iberostar resorts were all a close second. there are some vey subtle differences. The rooms are very large and well appointed. The matress' are very comfortable compared to the rocks in the other resorts. The restaurants use vey nice silverware, china, glass, and cloth .nakins. The gym equipment has top of the line weight machines and treadmills. The alcohol is top shelf. Grey Goose, Cheva regal, Appleby Rum ETC. The Iberostar complex is quite large. There are 5 different hotels. The Grand guests can use any of rhe other hotel's facilities and restaurants. The others hotel guests can't use anything at the Grands. The beach for the other hotels looks like a hot August day at Cony Island. Wall to wall towels. There is no need to rush out at sunrise to get a good spot at the Grand. There are more perfect spots than there are people. And of course, there are no children. Which makes things a bit quieter.
Now I'm gonna Nit Pick. The food is good Mexico resort food. It's not San Francisco, New York, Chicago cuisine. The beach swimming is not very good. By the time you get out to deep water your feet are beat from all the rocks. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely. Will we come back? Maybe. We like trying new places, and this place is very expensive. The many new friends we have made, have told us of some other resorts that are adult only, and just as good for less money.

Stayed April 2008
7 Thank ofd2548
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here from April 19th checking out on the 26th. We have traveled many places in the world, and by far, this was our favorite place. It was better than our expectations. I can not recommend it enough and we are going back next year!
I will try to state facts rather than my viewpoint and try not to repeat previous reviews.
The first thing that totally shocked us when talking to others at the many bars was that they didn’t realize they had access to the other 4 Iberostar properties right next door. You do not need to leave this property to see the other, simply walk next door, or down the beach into the resorts (Maya, Lindo, Beaches and Del Mar). However, absolutely no one from the other properties can walk to Paraiso Grand. There is security everywhere to prevent that. You are identified by your wristband color.
At Iberostar resorts we previously have stayed at Maya, Lindo and Tucan (Tucan is about ½ hour away and is very much like Beaches and Del Mar.). If you want privacy and quiet, go to Paraiso Grand. If you want to be around a lot of people, walk to the next 4 resorts and you will get all of that you want. What you have is the choice of it all and that is a huge plus. In addition, if your feet are not up to walking, only Paraiso Grand people can be shuttled around to anywhere by golf carts. This is fabulous for the elderly.
At Paraiso Grand, you get no better service tipping or not. Either way, you are catered to. Also, no one expects you to tip, although, we did.
Don’t spend the extra money on the ocean front unless you really want to. We stayed in building 70 (ocean front). I saw a lot of reviews that suggesting otherwise. However, you miss the sounds of the palm trees leaves swaying and the luxury of hearing the tropical birds. If you do stay in an ocean front, there are two buildings 70 and 71, none of which are better in anyway than the other. That is, unless you are getting married or want to watch weddings. They are on the beach directly across from building 70. We saw two of them while we were there and they looked fantastic!!!!
Make sure you go to Maya/Lindo and see the wave pool (starts on the hour for 20 minutes). Also, enjoy the never-ending lake pool and bar under the waterfall at Maya/Lindo that seats 50 (we counted). Also, you must do a ride down the lazy river. This is all offered to you and is such a treat.
Also, being Beaches and DelMar is older, yet is meticulously kept property; walk through the property one day. You will be overwhelmed at the tropical plant life, peacocks and flamingos. We experienced this when we stayed at Iberostar Tucan in Mexico, enjoying the monkeys in the trees.
As far as meals, make sure you get the grilled lobster and shrimp with a side of melted butter at the buffet for lunch at Paraiso. Eduardo will take care of you!!! It tasted better than in Maine. You must go to the French restaurant in Maya (no children allowed). It is a French Opera House with white-glove service. Also, the Italian restaurant in Paraiso had a flutist playing while we ate with an incredible atmosphere. Another must is the Italian restaurant in Lindo. They serve my favorite meal of my life: stir fried lobster with a delicious flavorful sauce (this is on the menu). While we sat, a Mexican band came and played right at our table!!!
If we had children, we’d stay at Maya. Also, you must go see the Mayan bar (you can’t miss it) with the copper snake at Maya. The bar is the size of a pyramid! It is unbelievable. Also, check out the salt water fish tank filled with live coral and fish at the bar in Lindo. By the way, Maya and Lindo have numerous bars in short walking distances.
The beach and pools: Always enough kyacks and catamarans for use. Bring some bread out there and feed the large fish. It’s amazing. There are plenty of private resting spots in all areas of the resort at Paraiso regarding pools and beach. You will find a few ignorant people that will try to save spots using their towels and it is quite frowned upon. It is obvious these people are not use to such a place that doesn’t take well to it and finds it unacceptable, but yet, it happens.
I agree with a recent review, a band playing oldies big band dance music would be very welcomed in this resort. There is no need for the shows, although enjoyable. Shows are better with lots of people anyhow, and I would prefer to go to the other resorts for that. There is a piano bar in the lobby that was pleasant.
I chose not to bring my laptop and used the computer room. The internet is free. The only problem is that two of the three computers were out of service and I had to wait awhile to use it. At one point, I walked over to Maya and paid the $3.00 to use theirs without a wait. For all of the money they put into this wonderful place, I am surprised that they scrimped in the computer room in this day of age.
I had a message on the beach with Isabel. It was the best massage of my life (and I get a lot of them). I think she was on the Del Mar side of the beach. There was not a lazy bone in her body.
Ask for a lot of water for your fridge. I found I didn’t get any unless I asked. However, my bar was always filled.
Walk in the spa at the mall across the street. You won’t believe your eyes. It is incredible.
For those that get nervous about their health, there is a medical building on property. I will tell you that we have never gotten sick and didn’t need to use it, but it feels good that it is there.
The Quiet Pool at Paraiso (different from the salt water pool and indoor pool) is dreamy and probably my favorite. There are beds under canvas tents everywhere. It is such a great place to sleep. Tip: buy a blow up raft at Wallmart from home for $1.88 and pack it in your luggage. I loved sleeping on the raft in the pool!
At the salt water pool, there is an attendant that will go into your stall after you use it, clean it, and fold the toilet tissue perfectly. All bathrooms are spotless. Also, talking about the bathrooms, if you are a lady, you absolutely must walk into the bathroom at the Seafood Restaurant at Maya. Wait until you see it! Also, that was our favorite place to eat for breakfast. If you want to see the most artistic sink of your life, walk into the ladies room (I’d imagine the men’s is the same) outside of the Italian restaurant at Paraiso.
There is a shoe shining service for free!!! You simply leave your shoes in the room on this tray and they come back to you perfectly.
The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom had two sides, one for “his” and one for “her” and I got the fresh rose! We also had our own slippers and robes.
At this time of year, walk out to the beach between 6:20 and 6:50 and watch the most incredible sunrise. It is spectacular.
I hope this helped. There is no way you can’t have a great time here. You will love visiting all of the other 4 resorts, but will love walking back to Paraiso.

• Liked — The service, the choices, the cleansliness
  • Disliked — The computer room-wish I brought my laptop
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank Happytravelerinswitz
Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Grand from 4/19-4/26. We deserted our kids for the first time in 3.5 years. (A little Grandma and Grandpa time) Our goal was to relax and be pampered and we found the perfect spot.

The Room

We chose to stay in one of the oceanfront buildings (#71). We were on the second floor by choice. The corner rooms were available for $50 more per night at check-in, but we declined. The room itself is spacious and quite comfortable. The bed was "firmly soft" and the pillow menu allows you to find whatever type you like. The mini-bar is generically stocked upon your arrival with an assortment of juices, water, tonic water and beer as well as mini-bottles of liquor and sauvignon blanc. There were also 2 mini bottles of merlot and a few snacks present. We asked our butler at check-in for a large bottle of Tanqueray and it was there in less than 1 hour. I also asked him if we could get rid of all the beer except Pacifico. Not a problem and from then on, Pacifico was all they stocked the bar with daily. The balcony swing is quite comfy as is the sofa out there. The view, the sounds of the waves and the sea breeze will stay with us a good while, I hope.

The Pool/Beach

We opted to stay at the pool for most days. Finding a seat either in or out of the pool was not a problem at any time of day, but finding a palapa requires you to be a somewhat early riser. Some were gone by 7 AM, but there were always 1 or 2 available by 9. The beach is much more quiet and there are always plenty of thatched huts available at any time of day. The pool service is very attentive, especially if you tip a dollar or 2 each time they bring you something. They will also bring you chips and salsa/guac if you ask, but the chip portions are quite small, so you may need two orders of chips. We tried the margaritas, blue margaritas, mojitos and dirty monkeys. The alcohol is not overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination and if the drink is too weak, just ask for an extra shot of whatever in it and they will gladly do so. The Star Friends organize games (pool or beach volleyball), salsa lessons, ceviche preparing lessons or trivia games at various times of the day. But, they were not at all overwhelming, loud or annoying. Just perfectly distracting.

Two options for these on site. One is Bella Vista which is the larger buffet with more options. Always an omelette station or two going and name your favorite breakfast food and they have it. For lunch there is also a ridiculous variety of food. They the giant grilled prawns-
seriously, these things are as big as your foot. La Brisa is the smaller buffet and is located at building 70 on the beach. Fewer options, but they do offer grilled lobster daily for lunch-something Bella Vista did not have. If you get ice cream, watch the flavor of the white one-it might be coconut, not vanilla!

Four "gourmet" options here:

1.Toni's Surf and Turf-Your typical steakhouse menu. Good flavor in the steaks, but these are not the quality of Ruth's Chris, et al. They fall more in line with the sirloin at Outback. They are tender, though. The lobster is also very nice. We go to nice steakhouses once or twice monthly, so this was our least favorite of the 4, but if we had stayed longer, we would have gone back. Dinner from appetizer to dessert only took about an hour, which seemed fast, but not rushed.
2.Italian-This is located off the main lobby and is the smallest of the 4. Also a quick meal, but not rushed. I had a perfectly prepared lobster and shrimp saffron risotto. My wife's ravioli dish was also very tasty. Nice atmosphere with a flutist playing throughout the meal.
3.Japanese/Haiku-Located next to Toni's above Bella Vista. Offers a view over the main pool out to the beach, as does Toni's. You may eat off the "wok" menu if you choose to sit at your own table, or you can go tepanyaki style and have your meal prepared in front of you a la the classic japanese steakhouse style. We ate here twice because it was so good. I had tuna sashimi, lobster and chicken skewers and lobster and duck tepanyaki. I argued that mine was much better than my wife's shrimp and steak, but I couldn't convince her. They do serve sake, just ask your waitress. It is served warm, though. If you choose to do tepanyaki, note that you sit around the grill/stove top with 2-5 other couples depending on how crowded the place is. It allows for a fun/social meal.
4.L'Atelier/Gourmet-By far our favorite due to the ambience, food and ultra-attentive service. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, because they do some funky things with sauces and flavors, but we loved it. I had pheasant one night and duck the other. My wife had a seafood ravioli one night and veal the other. They make a squash soup over a cream cheese like mound that is unbelievably good! The chocolate bon-bons for dessert are so wonderfully rich, we considered asking for a dozen to take back to our room! You may also choose to go to Bella Vista for dinner as they continue the buffet. The theme changes nightly. Examples are Mexican, Brazilian, Italian and a few others. Reservations are highly recommeded for any of the four gourmets but not at all necessary for the buffet.

The Resort

I wish I could have had the marble contract for this place. It is everywhere and in so many colors and designs. The grounds are as clean as you can imagine. I noticed them polishing the pool railings one morning, cleaning behind the TV armoire in another room and they are constantly sweeping the hallways and stairwells to keep the place spotless. The flowering plants are gorgeous but not over the top.

My wife had a massage and "skin rejuvenation" treatment (whatever that is) at the spa in the Iberostar shopping complex that she thoroughly enjoyed. We played golf twice. The course is very well manicured. It is tough. 40 foot elevation changes was not something I expected at a course that was constructed on essentially flat land. The bar scene is relaxing rather than rowdy. There is a dance club for adults at the shopping complex and a separte one for teens there as well.

What set this place apart for us was the service. Every single employee smiles at you and aknowledges your presence from the maid in the hallway to the butlers and concierges you pass in various buildings. If you ever appear confused or "lost", they will invariably ask if you need assistance and then provide you that assistance in a snap. Our butler was always available at the drop of a hat if we needed anything. We asked for champagne in our room two different nights and of course it was there when we returned from dinner. On our last full day, they gave us another bottle in the early afternoon without us even asking for it. If you want to be treated like royalty and relax, this is your place. We wish we could return tomorrow!

• Liked — Service, service, service.
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
17 Thank irisharpe
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 10 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 stars 4,562 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!