“Great place, great people, terrible view...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Ottawa, Canada
“Great place, great people, terrible view...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I travelled to the hotel as a single male on Dec 9 - 16, 2012. I was in Cuba last Christmas and was going to return but I decided to try this hotel. I read great reviews and the golf was a factor. I have mostly great things to say about this hotel. Food was great, staff are amazing, alcohol is top shelf: Grey Goose says it all. Ate at a few of the restaurants, I think the Italian was the best food. Steak place was good, not as great as people say. The steaks are not comparable to the ones I get back home and the apps were not very good. Booking was a nightmare for some reason: The hotel was at 50% the whole week I was there, literally the restaurants were empty when I ate there, and for some reason everyday when I tried to book, I was told "6:30 or 9:30", no in-between. Not sure what this was about, seemed like a rehearsed answer. I ended up showing uo at the time I wanted and they accommodated me after some discussion. The buffets were fantastic, my favorite was the beach grill. Great lunches everday, always a BBQ item of some sort. Breakfast was great as well, Oilivia the omelette lady is like a magician with eggs. Thank You so much!
Golf was great as well, course was empty every day. I wish it would have been busier, I golfed alone 6 times. Course is challenging, play smart and you will be fine. Beverage cart has tequila, vodka, rye, rum and beer. Fantastic! Guys at course couldn't be any nicer. I was told when I booke rounds online before I left that I was gettting 2 free rounds but the rest would be $49 each. They are actually all included if you stay at the Grand Parasio. I have included a photo of the menu price board in the clubhouse.It clearly shows that the rounds are free. I brought my own clubs so the week of golf was free. Bring balls, they aren't cheap here.
Lots of activities around the pool to take part in. As a single guy, I will admit that there were no single people at all. This is a very couples oriented hotel, although they are all friendly and engaging... Never had a problem having a drink with people, or sitting in for dinner with someone. Very friendly people...Lots of older couples here.
The spa facilites are amazing, I was at the gym every morning and although it is small, it has up to date equipment and got the job done very well. Great hot tubs and a nice pool as well.
Beach and pool area are amazing, the beach really is something special. Its funny to see the beach attached to this hotel, compared to the other 4 that are all adjacent to ours. Its like night and day: it goes from quiet and peaceful, and then you step one foot across a rope in the sand dividing the resorts, and it is turns into ThunderDome. Its funny to see.
I greatly enjoyed this hotel, and I found the staff amazing. Very helpful, accomodating, and friendly.
Room setup was amazing, great bed, lots of space, big bathroom. Nice slippers, robe, bar had good booze. One of the easist to work safes that I have ever seen.
I have one complaint, a big one, and it had an effect on my stay and my thoughts of returning. When I checked in, the hotel was at 50%, and stayed that way for the 7 days I was there. I have read many, many reviews of people being offered an upgrade when they checked in. As I travelled alone, I paid an additional $450 single person supplement. When checking in, I asked if there was an upgrade available. I was told that there was, for $850, yet I could get it for $425 if I wanted. I declined. I was then escorted to a room(7425), that had NO view of anything. There was literally a giant tree right outside of my balcony. It was all I saw all week. No pools, no beach, no people, nothing. A giant tree. When I sat on the balcony in the early evening before dinner, it was a giant tree staring at me. Pretty horrible. The place was empty all week, I kid you not that there was noone around at all, yet i couldnt get a better room. You will see from my photos just how dead it was.
Might seem petty but I dont know that I would return because of this...

Room Tip: stay away from the 7400's..no view at all.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for the time you invested in giving us your comments about your recent visit to our hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso, our main goal is to make our guests feel like "stars" and unfortunately we did not reach it in your case.

Regarding your dissatisfaction with some items of the food and beverage department we have already passed on your comments to our Executive Chef and to our Maitre, and you can be sure they are going to do their best to guarantee an excellent dining experience for all our guests. We apologize about the situation with dinner reservations. We do try to satisfy all of our guests’ requests but that is not always possible.

As a guest of the Iberostar Grand Paraiso depending on the length of your stay you could receive 1, 2 or 4 complementary rounds of golf that include green fee and golf cart fee. After your complementary rounds are used, the Iberostar Grand Paraiso guests have the green fees included; they just need to pay the golf cart fee which is 49 USD.

We would also like to thank you for all the positive comments you shared with the visitors of Trip advisor, comments like yours help us stay focused and recognize the principal areas where we need to work to make the vacation of our guests outstanding.

Concerning your comment about the upgrade, we have been looking into our records and have not found any comments about your dissatisfaction with the view of your room. OftenTravel Agencies have VIP clients and decide to pay the upgrade for them, or it could happen that depending on category, Travel Agencies offer special packages where their customers can have an upgrade upon availability. But we would like to stress that all guests pay for their upgrades, either at the time of their reservation (when choosing the category) or at the hotel.

We are really concerned about all these incidents and we would like to have a better feedback about your recent stay with us, for this reason we kindly ask you to contact us by email (please check our website) in order to help us to improve our services.

Hoping you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in our Hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso, receive from the all the staff a sincerely apology.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

11 family members travelled to Mexico to start a New Year. Our mother passed away in February 2012 and her wish was that we would be strong and enjoy life together. We decidied to start the New Year 2013 together in Mexico where the world was to have ended.

The view was breath taking and this is what post cards are made of. The facilities, the butlers (Victor), the maids, the recreational representatives (Edwardo,Abraham, Carmen) were courteous, entertaining, competitive, caring and your demand was there delight. The shows in the evening were some of the best we have seen. The only small complaint was that the food although there were numerous choices was maybe too fancy for our family liking but we never ever went hungry. The rides in the golf carts (thanks Noel), the bubble bath with rose petals, the sound of laughter and the warm breeze as the waves rolled on shore as attempts to ride the boogie board one more time was made, and the release of white balloons toped off with fireworks at midnight on New Years Eve will always be a memory. To have eleven people of all ages be entertained and to add that we were all family and never had a disagreement that is a miracle and this is what made the Iberostar Grand Hotel everything we wanted it to be. Memories forever. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to thank you for the review you have written for the benefit of the Tripadvisor community.

Your beautiful words about your mother’s wish and how all your expectations were met are very moving.

It is an immense pleasure to have a guest such as yourself speak in such high regard for our Hotel. We thank you for your support and above all your recommendation. It makes our team proud and motivated to always go the extra mile.

We look forward to hosting you again to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso: your home away from home.

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Arrival at Cancun airport went very smooth. Lomas airport transfer was very good. We made 2 stops on the way. Arrived at hotel about 1:00 rooms were ready, however, our room getting tripping a breaker so no electricity. Had to move, but the room they gave us is the only room on the whole property with a walk off the patio to the beach. When booking an oceanfront room, request room 7011. Huge patio, with gate right out to ocean. I am going to just list some of the pros and cons:
Pro:
1. Concierge very helpful in securing dinner reservations
2. Medical center fantastic. My husband had a kidney stone, and they assisted in getting us to the hospital in Cancun
3. Lomas rep came to hospital and stayed with us and assisted in translating medical terms and billing
3. Food was very good in the buffets. Japanese had little bugs on our hibachi table, food was so so. Steak house not very good. Italian was our favorite
4. Golf carts readily available to take us all over the property

Cons:
1. At check in, we advised we had a coupon for 300.00 resort credit that included 100.00 for spa. Booked spa treatment and was told we could not use credit toward specials, so ok, we agreed to full price so we could use our credt. When checking out, we were told we could not use credit because we did not book direct with hotel, and they would not reduce the price to the special being offered.
2. Electricity in room is on a motion sensor, While taking a shower, our elcecticity would turn off. If in the bathroom too long, the electricity would turn off. While sleeping, the electricity would turn off. Very frustrating.

If they had honored the coupon and the electricity didnt keep going off, I would have given 5 star revies.

Room Tip: Ask for room 7011 1st floor oceanfront next to concierge station. Close enough to wi fi lobby that...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review.

Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay and show you that we have improved our service.

Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife is a travel agent. We have been to Mexico over a dozen times. Go to this resort. It is one of the nicest we're ever seen. The food was terrific. Lobster every day, and then some. Eight different types of beer alone. Service was great. People friendly. Balconies private. Rooms spacious and spotless. Beach was beautiful. Pools fantastic. Check in awesome. Overall property, stunning. If you want details, Facebook me.... Jeff Kartye, Canada.....

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review and also for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraíso as your vacation spot. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments.

We are thrilled to know that you and your wife had a great stay and that our staff provided a good service by being helpful and friendly. It is good to know that you enjoyed our surroundings and your mention of us being one of the nicest resorts that you had ever seen 

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can have an unforgettable experience.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I just return from a one week trip to Iberostar grand hotel paraiso as a solo traveveller and I had an amazing week. I had travelled by myself before but this time was the best . All thanks to the great staff everywhere. The room was great, the hotel is beautiful , the food is excellent too. What did the big difference was the staff. Everybody from the lobby , the waiter and especially the entertainment teem who were always friendly and never bothering. A special thanks to them all and especially Carmen , Augustin , Eduardo and Isabella. This will be the factor that will incite me to go back to this hotel in the future

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent stay.

We are delighted to hear that you had an unforgettable experience with us and we will pass on the message to the team. We thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back!

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My daughter was turning 40 and decided she would like to invite my husband and myself to join her husband & her on a get-a-way to celebrate. She was looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel perhaps in Aruba, but had heard from someone what a great place the Grand was. We are so glad we took that person's advice. The vacation could not have been more 'Grand'.
The hotel is beautiful, the rooms large and inviting and the staff could not have been nicer.
The food was great...so much choice at every meal and the wait staff could not do enough for us. Many thanks to Hugo, Theodore, Karen, Olivia and all those whose names I have forgotten.
The beach was so inviting...lots of seating...and lots of attention from our waiter, Reyes, who happily brought us our ice buckets of Corona. The pool and it's staff...also amazing.
The hotel was full when we checked in, but later in the week our daughter was offered an upgraded room on the beach because of the special birthday. She gratefully declined, but was surprised with a bottle of champagne to celebrate.
We could not have been more pleased with our choice and we are certain we will be back to this hotel soon. Thank you to all the staff for making this one of the best vacations ever!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and for writing your kind review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay!

Thank you also for your compliments – our whole team really appreciates them. We aim for service excellence so it is very rewarding to know we exceeded your expectations.

It would be a pleasure for us to contribute to your positive travel experiences in the future too.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just returned from "THE IBEROSTAR GRAND HOTEL PARAISO". I decided to vacation for my 50th birthday. Of course the holiday rates are alittle higher than the usual, but It was my birthday and I wanted the BEST. I could never had imagined a better vaction anywhere. We looked at alot of options and decided on the Mayan area of Cancun because it wasn't that far flight wise. We have grown children and small granchildren, but decided on an Adult Only property, and were we glad we did. Being the holiday, the hotels were packed. The Iberostar Grand is next to four other Iberostars which cater to families. The private beach was just what I needed, even at the hotels full capacity the beach was very quiet. The pool was hopping, but we like beach. The only thing was to get a hut my husband went out every morning to secure one for me at around 630a, picked up our towels the night before. If you are an early riser no problem. The room was fantastic, but the butler service was outstanding. They work as a team but all went the extra mile to provide me with the best birthday ever. Lots of surprises in room and extra attention all week. The best thing I thought was the food. We have been to quite a few All-Inclusives and have always been leary of buffets and quality. The food was Amazing, ever meal quality beyond expectations. The restaurants do require reservations so take care of that the day you arrive. Room service was even as was served in restaurants and I loved that they returned promply to retrieve the service when we were finished. I could never say enough great things about this hotel and we Will be going back even without special occassion excuse. In the end the price was worth every penny....and really only proves you get what you pay for.....SO LIVE IT UP!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to learn that you had an excellent vacation and that you were pleased with our service.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt they will be motivated by your kind words.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your vacation destination the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Best regards,

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!