“Awesome honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Acworth, Georgia
“Awesome honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The service was excellent and the food was beyond better than to expected for an all-inclusive. Top shelf drinks are included as well. There is enough there to do an see so you can be as active or relaxed as you wish. The beach was a little rocky so be careful. Still beautiful and there are 3 incredible pools to choose from. The outdoor pools were a bit chilly but we were there in November so I expected that. We had the jacuzzi oceanfront room which was beautiful and so clean. I would say not to bother with the room service because the food was not as delicious as the buffets and restaurants. We used it only for early morning coffee and pastries. I could go on forever but I will save some for my next trip there!

Room Tip: If choosing an oceanfront room ask for building 71 as it is furthest from the noisier family resort.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying in Grand Paraiso during your holiday and we appreciate to read part of your memories in TripAdvisor.

It gives us a great joy to hear your excellent review in this hotel. It is nice to know that you liked our beautiful beach, that you found the corner room perfectly comfortable, had the opportunity to use the Jacuzzi in the terrace and that you adored the fantastic buffet and food offered in every restaurant.

We sincerely hope that we will have the honor of welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

3,208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Polish first
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just returned Nov.13th from IGHP. My 5th trip!!! Ricardo at the door Daniel Marcelino Roberto Humberto at the bar . Manuel Hugo David at the restaurants made our stay great.The butlers were there always asking to help.Great place, good times, lobster shrimp and beef filet at lunch every day. Bob P. N.J.

Tomball, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from our fourth visit to the Grand. This trip started out with some (needless) anxiety on my part, due to the knowledge of two large groups - one of which checked in on our arrival day, and sold out the resort for three of our five nights. Due to the groups, I had been in touch with the Grand ahead of time, and I was promised that I wouldn't notice any negative affects - and they were right. We did not.

The highlight for us this year - once again, were the wonderfully fantastic, well-trained staff, at not only the Grand - but every part of the Playa Paraiso complex we visited. The person who is in charge of training the Iberostar staff deserves cudos. They are absolutely incredible. It was such a shock to arrive back in Houston and not have everyone smiling at us, with a friendly greeting.

The number one negative this year, and the reason I'm not giving my review five stars, was the food. We've visited almost every year since the resort opened (and when I haven't been there, I've sent others), and by far, the food was the worst this time than it has ever been. I was so concerned about not getting reservations due to the groups, and I ended up ordering room service, eating at a different resort (Jambalaya at the Lindo, which was decent) and going to a buffet one night (Italian buffet - our best meal at the resort this trip), just to avoid it. Neither of us are hard to please, but it was quite a let down to dress up, be treated like queens and kings, and take that first bite and feel deflated.

We've always had the pleasure of being in an oceanfront room, and this year was no exception. We were checked in to our room, by our butler-in-training, Eduardo. We were in corner suite 7041, directly next to Las Brisas and over the suite we had last year. The view was the best yet. Absolutely breathtaking. The day we checked in, the sea was very calm and the colors were striking. We set up our own travel router, and had miserable reception with it. I do wish they'd add WiFi to the rooms. With so many people using tablets and iPhones now, they need to step it up in this area. Other than that, no complaints about the room.

Our first dinner was at Toni's. We got all dressed up, and were seated around people wearing t-shirts, jeans and flip flops. I was very surprised at how the dress code seemed to have been brushed to the wayside. Oh well... I'm here to eat, not be in a fashion show, so we ordered our steaks. Both were dry and tasteless. At one point the waiter came by and my husband asked him for some melted butter. Butter on steaks? Yes... they were that bad.

Was every meal bad? No. Breakfast and lunches were all decent, so we didn't starve, but the dinner at Toni's was the start of a trend that continued throughout our stay. To summarize, dinner the next night at Haiku wasn't much better, and they completely messed up my husband's order, which is pretty impressive, since they were cooking it directly in front of him. The other large group from Mexico City was in the restaurant that night, and I think the chefs were overwhelmed. Jambalaya at the Lindo was a pile of shrimp, next to a pile of rice. Neither tasted bad, but the shrimps had their tails still on them. Before we ate, we had to detail about 30 small shrimp. It was just silly to sit there and feel like only have the battle of cooking had been done for you.

The beach area remained about 1/2 occupied for the most part, during our entire stay. No need to rush out to get a palapa. Our only complaint? The cushions on the nicer, wicker chairs. You have two choices - remain rigid and your cushion will remain in place, or relax, and slide your way down to a catatonic position, in 1/4" increments. The cushions do stay put on the cheaper-looking white plastic chaises. Beach service was fantastic as usual. I noticed far more people selling (fake) Cuban cigars, hats, sunglasses and jewelry this time. They came in waves, no pun intended.

Speaking of waves... our first full day was glorious. We kayaked and enjoyed calm, beautiful seas. By that evening, the winds really picked up, to the point where we wondered just how bad does it have to get before they put the black flag out. The life guards were on high alert for the next three days, and many times we heard them forcing people out of the waves, with their whistles. It was the windiest, waviest, I've ever seen it. As luck would have it, it calmed down our last day. Unfortunately, this was the day we had to leave. I never said my luck was good.

My husband golfed twice, and both times the course kicked his rear. He doesn't get to play as often as he'd like, but he used to play on a team. I was the caddy, and he played with two men who work for El Dorado resorts. Both men know the area very well, and with the exception of one other course in the area, they both think the Playa Paraiso course is the nicest. They said that IB* has the best greens man around. The course is gorgeous.

We took a walk down the beach towards Maroma as usual, and this time turned around out of discomfort, due to a man standing in jeans, a jeans jacket, with a walkie talkie attached to the back of his pants, and binoculars around his neck. He was standing in an area near the mangroves, between the Grand and the Capella residences, near no buildings. This man was not a guard, and looked to be on the lookout for something. He made us feel very uncomfortable, and just watched us. I'm not sure what he was up to, and I didn't want to stick around for it. We walked past him, into the cove, and saw other people walking towards the Grand. We slowed down, and got behind them and walked back. Safety in numbers. This is the first time I've ever worried about my safety in Mexico; this guy made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. One other very, very important thing to note - my husband picked up a used syringe, with its cap on, from the shoreline. He threw it into the mangroves. So please watch where you're stepping. The beach in this area isn't groomed. Just remember, none of this has anything to do with the Grand - just something to mention.

Our days were filled with laying around, getting to know the wonderful Star Friends (Jesus is a sweetheart), playing the always fun Dutch Shuffleboard game (SO glad it's back!), and doing a whole bunch of nothing. We took walks through the other resorts a few times. The Beach and Del Mar are beautiful in their lushness. The Lindo is beautiful with its waterways. The Maya is gorgeous with its manicured grounds and interesting buildings. They're all worth exploring.

The big question, is will we be back? At this point, it's iffy. As we get older, I'm finding that what we're looking for is changing. I never considered myself someone who lived to eat, but the food was truly a let down this time. I felt unsatisfied almost every evening. We've seen all of the shows multiple times, and we only went to one. We found this it was perfectly okay for us to head back to the room after dinner. I am a snob when it comes to alcohol, but this time the bottle of Grey Goose and Don Julio that was brought to our room, remained unused. I was happy with the cheap wine and frozen drinks on the beach - that I'm sure were made with well liquor. And last, but not least, I am tired of reservations.

I can't imagine never going back to the Grand. The employees are like an addiction. They're that good. You want to have that great service again and again! However, next for us will probably be somewhere, where the emphasis is on food, staff and a beautiful, calm beach - without sacrificing a lovely resort setting. I sell travel for a living, and even I'm having a difficult time finding this in an adults-only all-inclusive. It may just be time for us to branch out and start looking into the alternatives out there.

Room Tip: If oceanfront is what you want, nobody offers those accommodations in this price range, better than...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you invested to give us your comments about your recent stay with us at the Hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso, our main goal is to satisfy and exceed your expectations, we are really sorry about your experiences at our restaurants Our executive Chef is concerned about this situation he is working to offer exceptional dinner experiences to our guests.

For the management and all the staff it would be a pleasure if you honor us again with your visit, you can be sure that we are going to make our best to satisfy and exceed your expectations.

Once again thank you for your review which help us to find the right path to accomplish our main goal and offer unforgettable vacations to our guests.

Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I travel every six months and this is one of THE best places we have ever stayed. It all started with Ricardo out front who greeted us so warmly and took care of us and our bags. Then on to check-in where we had a nice drink and cool towel.

We were upgraded to an ocean-front room in building 70 which was fabulous. Our only teeny-tiny gripe about the room was you could not control your own thermostat but from reading these reviews, I knew to go ask our concierge to lower it a few degrees and it was done immediately. And the only other thing, which was minor, was the pressure in the shower, it was a bit light for us and no shelf in the shower - so razors and shampoo bottles had to be put on the floor but that was fine. (there are two dispensers mounted on the shower wall and one holds shower gel and one holds shampoo and I set my shampoo and conditioner on those so my poor husband had to put his stuff on the shower floor)
The room was beautiful and very clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept on. The maids took very good care of us as did the mini-bar person.

We did not utilize the butlers very much but the couple of times we did, they were wonderful. We did not really figure out the dinner reservation thing but that was because we were always on our way to the golf course and would forget but the concierge would always try to work us in somewhere and we never skipped a meal. Toni's was VERY good as was the Japanese restaurant. We did the Hibachi seating one night and the regular table one night. Both were excellent. We also enjoyed the lunch buffet. So many choices and having lobster for lunch? Never had that at any other all-inclusive before. Such a nice surprise and it was very good.

The golf course was tough but so much fun. We played every day and the staff at the course were wonderful and the Bev-Cart guys were good. The 'marshall' did his best at keeping the pace of play going but hey, you are on vacation and at a resort so just enjoy the time in the sun when you have to wait. The bartenders at the '19th Hole' were funny and gave us a hard time and we enjoyed that. (ask for chips and salsa and see what you get)

One of the main things we liked about the Grand was the size of it. It was big enough so you did not feel crowded but small enough that you got to know people. We saw the same faces at the great swim-up bar and the main lobby bar. (Where the bartender, Perfecto was.. well, perfect-o) It was nice to pass by folks and say Hello and maybe stop and talk a few minutes. Or meet someone in the pool and then see them later at the bar or at dinner. I think that was my favorite part.
We used to go to Moon Palace and it was SO big and so spread out that you would seldom see the same people twice. We also went to the Hard Rock in the DR in May and that place was HUGE. We enjoyed it very much but it was too big to really get to know people.

Another favorite part was the decor of this place. It was beautiful and strange but it all worked somehow. We liked to walk the marble halls because we saw something new every time. From the different hanging fixtures to the big glass orbs, the paintings on the ceilings and the giant wooden horses. It was just fun to look at and made us smile.

We will definitely be returning to this resort and next time we are bringing friends to enjoy it with us. Thanks to all the wonderful staff at the Grand. Cannot wait til May!

Room Tip: Hope for a free upgrade! HA
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen Iberostar Grand as your holiday destination giving us the opportunity to show you what this great hotel can do! And we are pleased to read such a lovely review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read in particular that you liked our friendly and helpful staff, bellboys, concierge and butler service our beautiful hotel design, gardens, decoration, the nice welcome drink as well as the food from each restaurant which awaited you with an amazing ocean view. In addition, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool bar and lobby bar, our food served incredible and our hotel's ambience and distribution. It is nice to see that you very much enjoyed the stunning landscapes.

We feel honored when reading that you consider our hotel a great place to come back and we are delighted to hear that you will definitely bring friends with you.

We look forward to that day!

Kindest regards,

grenoble,france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am less than 24 hours back home and feel the need to write the review before I tackle anything else. The Grand lived up to every positive review on here. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. We were pleasantly surprised to be given a honeymoon villa. The villa was immaculate, clean and spacious and only a short walk to the beach. The food was amazing, we sampled all restaurants on site except for the Italian Buffet. It was my birthday one evening, and the staff came to sing to me and surprised me with a sampling of desserts. The beach is amazing, always kept clean and easy to find a chair. I was surprised to hear they were at near full-occupancy, but you never would have known that. There were plenty of lounge chairs and the restaurants or bars were never crowded or busy. The service is top-notch, everyone always offers you a smile and asks if you need anything. It was awesome to lay on the beach all day and be waited on with drinks and a smile! Our butler, Victor, made sure to check in with us everyday and give us anything we needed. Our room was restocked and cleaned each day, and then after returning from dinner we would find a lovely turn down waiting for us each night. As mentioned before, the WiFi is only in the lobby, but it was enough for us to go there once a day to check in with the outside world and Skype with the kids. The entertainment was also top notch, we enjoyed the shows and the friendliness of all the Star Friends. We considered venturing off-site, but with everything there is to offer, we couldn't think of a reason to leave! My only complaint is that the pools were very cold, but it was only about 80 degrees our entire time there and we're beach people anyway, so we did not plan on lounging in the pool too much. Please, please tip these good people well. I have never experienced service of this level and I've traveled to many places. We were fortunate that we never encountered any rowdy groups of toursists and everyone seemed respectful and relaxed. Even though I missed my own kids, not having any around was another perk to this amazing resort :) If you have any doubts, erase them and just go! I was amazed how many people we met were there on their 3rd and 4th trips, that speaks volumes of the Grand's reputation.

Dear Guest,

We take this opportunity to thank you for the review you have written for the benefit of the TripAdvisor community. There is immense pleasure of receiving feedback like yours.
We Thank you for your support and above all your recommendation that makes our team proud.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Best regards,

tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is the first all inclusive resort we have ever made a return trip to in Mexico. We have stayed at other adult locations; Excellence Playa Mujeres, Excellence Riviera Cancun, Valentin and others and as much as we enjoyed those stays it is only the Grand that had the power to pull us back for a return visit. When we go on vacation having wi-fi isn't something that concerns us as others have reported on Tripadvisor and the only negatives we could possibly mention is the fact that the showers are not that big and the towels could be softer BUT THAT IS IT AND SO MINOR TO EVERYTHING ELSE. The beds are so comfortable, the rooms couldn't be better and the food is the best especially Toni's Surf & Turf. All the restaurants including the buffets are air conditioned as is the theater and the shows are great - especially the Rock Show!! We have been reviewing other resorts for our next trip but the Grand has so much to offer we fear it will be a disappointment where ever else we might select. Oh! And I have to mention the staff.....they are the best ever! Especially Olivia, Augustine, Eduardo and Jesus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for posting a nice review for Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

Mansfield, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I just returned yesterday from our honeymoon at the Grand, and we can't be more relaxed, happy, and completely satisfied. This place is a dream. Beautiful architecture, fantastic beach, and amazing service. Their service is phenomenal. Other places may boast of their customer service and caring for the guests overall experience, but the Grand actually delivers. Every person we walked by or looked at, smiled and greeted us...every single time. Even the landscaping personnel.

Perfecto, the bartender at El Mirador, the lobby bar, makes fantastic drinks, and can hold a very lively and interesting conversation. Intereting man, and fantastic service. Our concierge Sergio was a very nice and attentive man. Although we did not see him after our initial entry, he obviously cares for what he does, because not a single of our many requests, orders, etc. were ever ignored or devalued. Although I cannot remember our cleaning attendant's name, she was by far the sweetest. She worked so hard, and was very efficient, but also took care of the small details, like leaving us roses on the bed. Marcelino, the swim-up bar's bartender is a fun young guy, with excellent drink suggestions, and a lively personality. Definitely a great pick for the pool.

The food was so good. We did not know what to expect, but as first-time 5-star customers, we were definitely happy with the selection, the flavor, and the attention to detail. The breakfast buffet was always warm and plentiful. The omelet bar was always a treat, and the nutella crapes were amazing fresh off the grill. We ate at two different restaurants, L' Atelier, the French restaurant, and Toni's, the Surf and Turf. Both were great, especially the service. The servers were great at upholding the 5-star service with their attire and delivery. The food at L' Atelier was good. I did not know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The selection left much to the imagination. I would have liked more creativity with the flavors, but the food was still excellent, especially the lamb chops and onion soup. The Saint Honore was by far one of the best desserts I've had. Toni's was fantastic. The lobster at the Grand is top-notch. My husband and I ate lobster every single day, at least twice a day. The fish in general is so fresh and flavorful. I had the Mahi-Mahi, which was so delicious as well. The lunch buffet is yet another great food option...we never felt that choosing buffet was compromising in the least. Every place we ate was fantastic, and the lunch lobster tails were phenomenal.

Room service was always on time, fresh and hot. We never lacked in any alcohol...we even had a bottle of Milagro brought up, and had a good supply of soft drinks and glasses for making drinks. We were graciously upgraded to an ocean-front corner room on the 2nd floor as a gift for our honeymoon. It was a great way to start our honeymoon, and we definitely enjoyed every bit of it! The corner balcony jacuzzi was the highlight of our room. I could lounge on the ledge and get a nice tan, or we could sit in the jacuzzi and listen to the ocean. The view was beautiful, and we woke up every morning with the sunrise and were able to catch some amazing pictures.

The beach is beautiful and warm, but the breeze definitely made it more comfortable on the hotter days. Even in November, the sun gets very warm, and it was sunny almost every single day. This time of year is most likely a more pleasant time to go. The beach was never overcrowded, and the majority of people were 30s and up. The Grand is an adults-only, but you do share the beach directly to the left with Iberostar Linda, which is only a few minutes away by foot. We ventured in and enjoyed the pool and the drinks. It is definitely more family friendly and is not as calming or relaxing as the Grand.

We are definitely coming back, and as soon as possible. This is, as Ricardo of the concierge crew said, our "second home" now.

Room Tip: Corner ocean-view rooms are amazing, and worth ever penny, especially if you want to spend time in t...
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your kind and detailed review.
We are extremely happy that we were able to provide you with a wonderful experience and a great honeymoon at our hotel. This is our mission and duty and when we have a satisfied guest, such as you, we feel that we have accomplished our greatest task.

We are proud of our qualified staff, all of them work very hard to satisfy our guests needs and desires during their stay and we are glad to know they even surpass your expectations; including the highlights of your trip as room, beach, food, architecture, and other services.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the very near future.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!