“Where the Word "No" Has No Meaning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
New York City, New York
“Where the Word "No" Has No Meaning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am almost reluctant to provide my feedback on my experience at The Grand because part of me, the selfish part, wants to keep this resort a secret. But Iberostar has earned it, accomplishing the near impossible, all-inclusive…done right!

I’ll start by saying, this was the best vacation I’ve ever taken! Staying at this hotel was hands down the most essential ingredient in making this possible. The resort is ginormous, beautifully designed and maintained offering absolutely stunning views at every angle, marble galore, immaculately clean, providing top shelf alcohol and quality food, all with exceptional service. My favorite part about it though was we felt as if this palace, this truly “grand” resort, was entirely built just for us! I understand we went during low season, but it was such a pleasure being able to have our favorite cabana at the pool everyday (with plenty of luxury towels to go around), and not having to fight the herds of people at the buffets and restaurants.

Our room was beautiful, spacious and clean. The balcony (although not equipped with much of a view) was lovely and furnished with a couch, table and swing chair. The bathroom was no exception and loved the separate his and hers sinks. I highly suggest taking advantage of the huge Jacuzzi tub. Just tell your butler what time you’d like your bath ready… bam!

The butler and pool service were beyond my expectations and struck the perfect balance of making sure we had everything we wanted and NOT being overly annoying. Specifically, we appreciated Mirna, who served us at the tranquility pool, working her magic - burning holes in the cement running back and forth all day, and Eduardo, our precious personal butler. “No” was simply, just not part of their vocabulary. If you asked for something, anything… within minutes, was at your doorstep/poolside. I also appreciated the staff’s overall attitude and felt they were always happy to accommodate our every need and desire! I say this with a (very) small caveat and to be fair, will mention that during our stay we encountered two employees with sour attitudes and as a result, stuck out like two sore thumbs! But aside from that, the service that The Grand provided is amongst the best in the world!

The high quality food at the buffets and restaurants presented great variety and had something for every palette. Having said that, should you not find anything that tickles your fancy, room service was a solid back up plan. I also enjoyed the top shelf liquor and even more so, the bartenders generous pouring. Nothing about this resort felt like they were being sheisty and looking to cut corners.

If you are looking for an adults-only, luxury, fun all-inclusive vacation made for complete relaxation and service to cater to your every need, look no further. But please do me a favor; just don’t tell everyone you know so we can maintain its exclusivity factor. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. It was also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much. We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back any season.

No doubt, our team will also be motivated by your generous compliments. We´ll pass your comments directly to our Chief Concierge about Eduardo services. We are very proud of our Butler service, each one of them make special this hotel.

Best Regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Polish first
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso and had an absolutely amazing experience. From the room, to the property, to the food, to the bars I have to easily say this is the best all inclusive I've ever stayed at. We've stayed at 4 different Iberostar properties and this one is by far the best and most elegant. The staff caters to your every need and everyone from the groundskeepers to the managers have a smile on their face, warmly greet you and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Two waiters in particular deserve a special shout: Yaphet in the Gourmet and Alfredo in the buffet. Yaphet prepared a Mayan coffee for us and the show was amazing (he's also one heck of a waiter!). Alfredo was extremely personable and made sure that our wine glasses were always full, our plates cleared immediately and was the personification of the perfect head waiter. The food is to die for! The buffet is far and away not your typical buffet. Amazing choices - all of them expertly prepared and of the same or better quality than any high end restaurant.

Only two "negative" comments:
Please add WiFi to the whole property - only having access in the lobby bar and concierge areas is mildly annoying.
Fix the leaks - It poured on two days that we were there and there were multiple place where water was leaking into the building in the common areas. The interiors are so gorgeous - I'd hate to see them damaged!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review. Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.
Best regards
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

For the price we paid, the value was not there. The sort is nice till it rained. During the rain, there were leaques in the room, the main hall, and other areas. Now, food was excellent, as with the service. For an all inclusive, you felt that you had to tip at the bars and all the gulf cart rides from the back of the property to the front area. Nowhere did I read that long pants were required to go eat in the restaurants but I had dress shorts and nice shirts and sandles and was told I can not go eat without long pants. But, they allow dubgarees and women to wear shorts. For a resort, it was sure not comfortable when it came time to eat. If you wanted buffet, you had to golf cart it to their other property because they only offered it 2 times a week in the evenings. If you went on excursions, you had to golf cart it to the other resort also. So if you are looking to be excluded from fun this is the place because the only entertainment is at 10 pm and then if you want to dance you have to go cart it to the disco which is also located in another area. Its not even romantic...the wife and I planned a beach front dinner from our anniversary and could not do it because of a wedding on the beach. There is enough room for more than one activity but they will not do it. Plus they wanted another 350.00 just to have dinner on the beach and the menu was very limited for the price they wanted. Just know that if you choose this property you will have fun at the pool during the day but when night falls, so do the activities. Pool bar closes and all you can do is go eat and wait for the 10 pm show and then go to the disco. If you want quiet then you will enjoy this resort, just know that if it rains, you will be bored to death because all there is to do is go to your room or sit in the lobby bar which is also played back. I just do not feel I got what I paid for on this vacation.

Room Tip: Beach front expensive but nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to send us your comments about your resent stay with us at Iberostar Grand Paraiso, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy your vacations in the Riviera Maya, we apologize about the room incident we tried to improve your experience with us after this unfortunate situation but we didn’t reach our main objective; regarding the dress code it is the main standard in the Iberostar Chain and it is a corporative decision, we understand that this situation bother you; even our sisters hotels follow the same dress code in the a la carte restaurant.
We passed your comments about the food and the butler service to the Managers in order to recognize the effort of our time to make your stay better, We are really sorry about all this situation and as we mentioned before the most important part for us is to make our guest feel home from home, unfortunately we didn’t met your expectations. We hope you will give us a chance to welcome you once again, under another circumstances.

Kind Regards,
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

So much to say and so little time. I'll make this easy by doing a pro and con list like some others have done. A few comments, first...

After reading reviews leading up to my trip, I understood that there were Iberostar sister resorts somewhere nearby but didnt quite grasp the layout. When you get there, you get to the entrance and it's pretty impressive. Once you enter the Iberostar grounds, ALL of the 5 resorts are inside the gate and within walking distance o each other but distinctly separate. So it's really one big HUGE grounds broken down into distinct pieces. Going in, i had though that some were down the street from one another or cab distance. Nope. The golf cart will take you to any one of the other resorts but they are all within a 15 minute walk.

Arrival and check in were smooth, I went in mid sept so the occupancy was at 33% i was told. I asked for an upgrade to a oceanfront room but was told that it was not available. Riiiggghhhttt ! Did I mention that it was 33% full only? Anyway, they were under no obligation to upgrade me so I cant be too mad about it. But pls dont **** on my head and tell me its raining. Just tell me that you wont do it for the rate I'm paying. I'm cool with that. She told me that she'd give me a ocean view room as a courtesy. Once I got to the room , I called back to the desk to ask for a telescope so that I could find the ocean. (just kidding. I could see the ocean but it was in the distance). Apparently one of the Ocean front buildings is undergoing renovations so there are a limited number of those rooms available. First, a little backround. I've been to 2 different AI resorts in Negril Jamaica and in Punta Cana over the past year. This was my first Iberostar. On to the pros and cons...

Pros:
The lunch buffet at La Brisa was excellent every day. I travel just for the food so this is saying a lot. I ate lobster every day and they were good. Fresh fish, burgers, pizza, drinks, ...everything there was VERY GOOD.
The infinity pool was great. I took a scuba lesson there and my woman did aqua aerobics and participated in some games at poolside. Darts, ping pong, basketball in the pool. Amazing.
The staff was great The star friends were friendly and courteous. The poolstaff was also very good.
The nightly shows were high spirited and professional. Cruise ship quality but hey, its a Mexican resort, not Vegas. I enjoyed them and they got the crowd to participate. The broadway musical show was really good.The Japanese place was really good and probably my fave next to thelunch buffet. Also. the breakfast buffet was top notch.
The spa at the Grand was great but very expensive. Try one of the places in Playa del Carmen. Much better rates. I never tried so I;m not sure how they compare. As someone else pointed out, the massages were more like rubs. If you're looking for something intense, you wont find it on the grounds.

Cons:

The steak restaurant (Tony's?) was terrible. The steak seemed to be low quality with a lot of fat. I couldnt eat it. My fiance and I got different cuts and they were both bad. I was surprised. I also ate at the French place at one of the other sister resorts and it was pretty good.

Overall: I will definitely go back. It was luxurious and the service was great. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Take dollar bills for tips. They are appreciated and well earned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear guest:
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Iberostar Grand Paraiso on Tripadvisor. We are most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for us and helps me monitor the service we provide.
We are so happy to read your review. We always try to create a friendly home from home atmosphere in the hotel and we was delighted that we met your expectations with our service and attention to details. As always we passed on your kind comments on to our great team here at the hotel; regarding your experience about our Surf & Turf Restaurant we are really concern and we passed your comments to our executive chef who will take appropriate measures to avoid this situation again

I do hope that you can join us once again on the near future

Kindest regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent last christmas and new year hear and it was just heaven. The service was perfect as was the hotel. I'm only sorry we can't make it back this year. Was worth the extra money as we didn't leave the complex in the evening because there was a nightclub that all the hotels could use and the drinks were included. We hardly spent any money on this holiday

Room Tip: We loved our beach room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to learn that you had an excellent vacation and that you were pleased with our service.
We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to have served you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly, is very motivating our Managers and Staff to keep on going the extra mile.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back soon and trust you will not hesitate to return.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We just returned from our second trip to the Grand. Our first visit to the Grand was during their first year of opening. Albeit it was fabulous, we were a bit disappointed in the beach, in particular the very rocky entry to the ocean. Our travels took us to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and to Secrets Maroma for a few trips, mainly because we truly appreciated the pristine beaches in both of these locales. However, this time around the beach and ocean in front of our Building (#70) was soft, powdery and truly free of rocks with a sandy smooth entry. The ocean was a bit rough at times (clouds/rain for a couple of days) but boasted an absolutely gorgeous turquoise/aqua color. It was truly comparable with the award-winning Maroma Beach and in my opinion the Iberostar chain is far superior to Secrets.

Being from New York and from a family of restaurant owners, we are tough customers, so to speak. That being said, every meal, restaurant and the elegant buffets at lunch and dinner were superior. Grilled lobster, lamb chops, filet mignon, coconut shrimp just to name a few of the lunch choices, were exemplary. Master Chef Peter (“blue eyes”) was a genius. Chef Omar went above and beyond preparing a special meal in the Italian restaurant for us and Chef Olivia was a true connoisseur.

The woman (so sorry forgot her name) at the concierge of Building 70 upon our arrival was excellent. Anything we needed was just a phone call away. My iphone charger was NOT in my luggage upon arrival at the Cancun airport. When we realized this upon unpacking, we called the concierge and were told “not to worry” the staff was more than accommodating in getting our phone charged for the duration of our stay. Personally, we feel that the concierge is all you really need. Our butler, Henry, greeted us upon arrival, gave us a “tour” of our room, we tipped him considerably but never saw him again for the entire week. Again, this is just our opinion.

Myrna was fabulous every day at the Tranquility Pool. The moment she saw us we were met with her very warm & sincere greeting “what can I bring you?”

A special shout out as well to Eli and Sara in the Spa. Our couples massage was heavenly and truly worth every penny.

Lastly, every member of the Grand staff was courteous, friendly, helpful and genuinely happy to be there.

YES, the Grand has truly won us back, and we are already planning our return visit.

Room Tip: Building 70 is just perfect. 2nd or 3rd floor rooms will boast the best views.
Dear guest,
On behalf of IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Paraiso we would like to thank you such a nice review of your recent stay at our hotel, We were to glad to read that you enjoyed the friendly, warm and attentive service we provide all of our guests. It is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours.
We hope to have the honor to welcome you back for third time at the resort.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I were there from 09/22/12 to 09/29/12 - 7 full days of fun.
We were upgraded to an ocean front room free of charge. Highly recommend ocean front for the convenience. Plus our room was on the first floor - it was nice not having to go up and down stairs, just walk out to the beach, pool, etc.

I won't go into the details about what is all great about this resort, because everyone else has done a good job of that already.
But to summarize the service, food, drinks, beach, pool, people, and fun were better or equal to any other resort I have been to and we have been to some nice 5 star resorts in Maui. We never found any reason to leave the resort.

There are a few area's that could be improved and I only mention them to let other people be aware and to help Iberostar improve this resort even more. They should not stop anyone from going to this resort.
1) Wifi only in the the lobbies, not in the room. So all the smartphone, notebook people that don't have international cellular data will have very limited access to back home. And this limited wifi did not work very well anyway. Often it took a day to get an email sent, it did better with receiving emails. Gave up on trying to surf the web. They said they have network cable capability in the rooms for laptops, but do people still have those?
2) Limited English TV channels and no sports bar type place to watch US sports. So trying to catch a college football game was not possible and I couldn't get score updates on the wifi (see above).
3) The beach/pool lounge chairs are very pretty, but not comfortable. The loose pad on top always slide down when trying to sit up in the chair. But this was not a big issue, it just seemed like a nice resort would have more functional types of chairs.

The above items were the only issues I could find at this excellent resort and they did not deter us from having a great time - I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are close to the beach, pools, and main restaurants.
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for the time you invested to write us. We appreciate your kind feedback as we are committed to offer a luxurious accommodation and the best quality of food and beverages, we must continue working to improve in our services and in some areas of the hotel.
For sure we will do our best effort working hardly on those aspects. We will very glad if you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future!
Warm Regards,
Iberostar Mexico.

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!