“You Will Know When You GO” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Las Vegas, Nevada
“You Will Know When You GO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from our sixth trip to this wonderful resort. I want to thank my butler Henry and the pool bartenders Nomberto and Daniel. They are the best. We met wonderful people from Italy, Peru, Chile, Spain and many other countries. It just shows that when you have the best, they will come from all over the world. I won't go into rewiews of the resort itself. Many people before me have done a grest job with that. What I want to say is if you are reading this and thinking about going, DO IT. You will then know why this is the best AI in Cancun, Riviera Maya or the world. One tip, go for the ocean front if affordable, if not go anyway, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Guests,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to communicate to us your comments about your sixth wonderful experience at Grand Paraiso and we also appreciate your kind words.
It is always very inspiring for our Relation Publics team to read that guests appreciate our service. Your comment is an asset to promote our hotel and the “Riviera Maya” to other guests who would like to visit us.

You can be sure that your “Iberostar Family” is impatient to welcoming back home for 7th time.

Warm regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Polish first
Rahway, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We felt privileged to be part of iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso for seven nights. Just wishes we had stayed a little longer. Everything about the hotel was over the top. we just couldn't ask for anything better. The week we stayed July 16 to July 23 2012 was a little over cast but I still managed to come home with an awesome tan. The spa room was the best. Every night we would stop their for an hour or so. Felt so good. Also every night we watched a different show at 10pm with all you could drink being served by the most beautiful and friendly staff. There's so much good to mention but I will end it with this. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON..

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We appreciated the time that you have taken as well of doing good comments.
We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your very first visit with our resort. Your memorable experience is a true testament of the dedication of our staff to ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients for an unforgettable vacation.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Absolutely incredible trip. Literally got to experience what living like a king would be like. The staff met and rose above expectations in every way...as if the actual scenery that the resort is engulfed in hadn't already done that. And just to add to how great the scenery and staff was, the food (especially at the buffet) was brilliantly made and tasted wonderful. I absolutely had a blast and didn't want to leave the all around amazing experience that the resort provided. Book as soon as you can.

Room Tip: Cold A/C combined with humidity make the marble floors extremely slippery; watch your step.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to exceed your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso in the very near future.

Iberstar Mexico
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel and staff 'n crew were amazing. The service is 'impeccable'. Everybody who works at this hotel or has something to do with it is so friendly, kind, caring. The bartenders, the check-in girls :-) ... and of course the animation team are also the best you can imagine!

the food is exceptionally delicious, there's an enormous variety of different food choices ... I would recommend the lobster and also the à la carte restaurants that are included in the all-in-formula of this Hotel.

Also try out one of the colorful cocktails @ the poolbar :-) I can suggest the Dirty Monkey ;-)
during are stay and even before I wanted to surprise my girlfriend with a marriage proposal .. the whole staff was so wonderful to help organizing this surprise! We even got an upgrade for free for our room (with an ocean view!) ... during one of the evening shows they gave me the chance to do a suprising proposal on stage with the band!

While our stay we encountered a small medical problem. (I Injured my knee and had to go to the hospital) Immediatly when it happened ... they sent a medical crew to check my knee and did everything they could so I had the best treatment ... Also we received a get better-letter in our hotel room! And above that they arranged also are private wedding blessing day at the beach!
If you want to take pictures of your stay at this Hotel ask for Jorge @ Adventure Photo in the Hotel. They take amazing pictures! If you'd like to organize your marriage (proposal) you can contact Jessica the wedding planner, she's also so kind!

What about the rooms and location .. Location is perfect to make trips in Mexico .. we can suggest the Selvatica Jungle tour (not the Xplor!) - Selvatica is much better when you want to have fun with the whole family!) and we went for a Dolphin Swim, which we would like to recommend to everyone!

The rooms are very clean, but we can advise you to still take some 'deet' or another sort of mosquito protecting milk product .. because sometimes when you open the door to the terrace there might slip one in :-) ... and my girlfriend got sick of 'Dengue Fever' when we got back home after 2 weeks ... so be careful with the mosquitos ;-)

the beds in the room where always nicely made up with rose pettals, towel figures etcetera ...
the Butlerservice was also incredible ... we got a cheese platter and a fruit basket, flowers in the room without ordering it ... for welcoming us ... and so it's also nice to know to give these people a nice tip once and awhile ... they deserve it!

In short, we had an amazing stay and we will definitely go back there! this is the perfect hotel for couples with or without accompany of friends. also for business they have nice opportunities!

Kurt & Ellen

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My DH surprised me with a three night visit to the Grand to help me cope with an approaching birthday. This trip came on the heels of 7 days sailing the BVI's on a festiva charter and before a greatly anticipated fall Regent cruise in Europe. I had firmly come to believe that, after many butler category stays at Sandals and stays at Excellence and NH Real in Punta Cana plus a visit to Iberostar maya years ago, I was done with all-inclusives. However, the Grand has us counting the days till our return.

We arrived at the Grand around noon. At check-in, we were offered a price to upgrade to oceanfront. I asked if we could have a complimentary upgrade as United vacations travellers, and it was granted. The downside was that we were told our room would be ready at 230. Checking back, we were told it would be 4:00. Upon firmly explaining that we had limited time on property and wanted to get in a room, we were told it would be 5 minutes. 15 minutes later, we were escorted to our room to find housekeeping frantically finalizing room preparations. This apparent lack of communication/planning between front of house and back of house was the only issue we encountered. It would have been more understandable if hotel occupancy had been higher than the estimated 50% we observed.

Our room on the 2nd floor of building 71 was beautiful. It was between palm trees and had a gorgeous, direct and truly oceanfront view. The balcony was spacious as was the bathroom. Housekeeping did a wonderful job, and we continually commented on the cleanliness of the resort as a whole.

The main pool is quite large. Kayak races and scuba demos were occurring at the same time with each having plenty of room. The one piece cushions were far more comfy than the two cushion lounges. Many people brought their own floats. I do wish the Grand had the Sandals style floats, but as DH said, "this place blows Sandals out of the water." Pool service was frequent and fast. We did tip but saw similar service for those who did not. But really, shouldn't you?

The drinks were amazing, particularly Alex's banana caipirinhas in the lobby bar and the mojitos at the pool bar, which we began drinking before 10 on the "it's 5:00 somewhere theory."

Food and view at Las Brisas buffet was amazing for lunch. The grilled lobster off the menu is really yummy, as are the crab claws on the buffet. It was nice to feel the chill on cold food after choosing cold selections from all the buffets. We did enjoy the taco stand at the shopping mall, although the mall is otherwise not worth a visit.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant, which was good and had a wonderful bananna tempura dessert. The shrimp risotto with saffron lobster at the Italian restaurant was recommended to us by other guests and was delicious. Surf and turf at Tony's was also prepared exactly to our liking. Views from Japanese and Tony's were incredible.

Olivia made excellent eggs to order each morning at the breakfast buffet. I also enjoyed the mimosas, which are the essence of vacation mornings to me.

We did not use the spa having heard from other guests that the massage was more akin to caressing than deep tissue. Prices seemed high compared to Red Lane and Canyon Ranch, so I chose not to gamble on one even though a spa visit is usually a vacation staple for me.

I can tell you small gym was nice and well maintained and that security plugs machines in, turns on lights and starts ac around 6am. This information comes courtesy of DH getting us up at 523 am for workout on the first morning. It was really humid running on treadmill at that time as room had not yet cooled down I politely declined on the next days! I would recommend waiting till 7.

The staff was friendly and efficient. We did not find service waiting times anywhere near the "island time" we are conditioned to expect on vacation. Rather, it was fairly efficient, although not NY or Philly fast! The pleasant nature and friendliness of the staff seemed genuine and unforced and added tremendously to our enjoyment.

Butlers were not as attentive as dedicated butler service at Sandals, but when sought out, they generally had faster follow through than we have experienced at Sandals. Follow up on special occasion requests is necessary as it is unclear which butler will be providing the service. Tipping POST service also recommended for that reason. Bath, balloons, rose petals, champagne and birthday cake with candles (only a few thank god) pretty well executed. DH did have to check several times though and said he was unsure he'd been successful in arrangements until he saw them come to fruition.

Beach was beautifully maintained and water pretty but rough. Constant breeze cooled us but kept yellow flag flying most days.

Tip: Olivia serves ice cream bars at quiet pool, beach and main pool from 10-noon...in that order. Choose location wisely if you want chocolate as she serves in that order and is mobbed by those in the know.

Visit far too short but LOVELY. Apparently, I'm not done with THIS all-inclusive luxury resort. Bye bye Sandals!

Room Tip: Palm trees would block some oceanfront building views. Our mid wing 2nd floor room (7135 I think) ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for posting a nice review for Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We appreciated the time that you have taken as well of doing constructive comments; we are committed to listen to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services. We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences you found at the beginning of your holidays and assure that we are working hard to avoid such incidents.
Nevertheless, we do hope that you took treasured moments from your vacation at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso back home with you.

We hope that you will not hesitate in returning in the near future and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just got back from a 5 night stay. We were originally booked at the Maya, but upon arrival, we upgraded to the Grand. The service was absolutely fantastic, and the food was great (we are not foodies, but everything we ate was terrific.) There were plenty of palapas on the beach. If you wanted one in the front row, you had to get out there early, but there were always open palapas available somewhere. Finding a shady spot by the pool was more dificult, especially later in the day. Walking along the beach in front of the other properties at the resort, we realized just how closely thier chairs were to one another. Definitely more "personal space" at the Grand. I must say that the grounds at the other properties (Maya, Lindo, Del Mar and Beach) were really beautiful, all with a very tropic feel. The grounds at the Grand were beautiful too, with lots of marble and covered walkways, but to me they seemed a bit sterile (this is a matter of personal taste). We saw a couple of shows which were OK, but we really enjoyed the Boogie NIghts show. The singing and dancing were terrific, and the air-conditioning in the theater is great. And seeing all of the Star Friends with afro wigs and disco clothing was a hoot.

The Star Friends were always busy running activities, and they were all very friendly. Carolina, in particular, was really warm and caring, and made our trip special. Although all of the staff at the hotel were kind, and everyone always seemed to have a genuine smile on their face, Carolina really seemed to go out of her way to make a personal connection with us. She is truely a gem. Although there were lots of activities we planned on doing, we wound up spending most of our time just relaxing on the beach. I guess we will have to take the bike tour next time!

The one negative about our stay was the lighting in the room being on a sensor. I am an early riser, and would generally be ready for a nice walk on the beach when my wife was just rolling out of bed. Unfortunately, one morning I left the room while she was just getting into the shower. Apparently, when I left, the sensor assumed that the room was being vacated and, as my wife was not moving around the room, after about a minute, all of the lights went out. This left my wife in total darkness while shaving her legs. She then had to cross over the slippery bathroom floor, with wet feet, in the dark, in order reach the light switch, which is actually located outside of the bathroom door. At the very least, it seems like there should be a small safety light in the bathroom to prevent this hazardous situtation.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Grand Paraiso accompanied by my husband. I'll keep this review short but oh so sweet. This resort far exceeded all of our expectations, we have visited other Iberostar resorts before, this one however is the Jewel in the Iberostar crown.

Everything from the stunning gardens, beautifully maintained by hard working gardeners, housekeeping working tirelessly to keep rooms, bathrooms very clean and well equipped. Waiters efficient and always happy to help with a warm smile, bar staff remembering your favourite tipple, chefs cooking up a storm, Star friends who are talented, fun and enthusiastic. In fact every member of staff who we encountered on our holiday was warm, polite and helpful when required.

This hotel is stunningly decorated, completely over the top but in a good way. It is a little tired in places, the pool for example could do with a little work, tiles missing etc, however still a beautiful place to swim and relax. The maintenance team are always working, so nothing gets neglected for long. The beach is beautiful, kept clean and seaweed free by hardworking staff. Restaurants are very good, Japanese especially, we managed 3 visits in total. Ask for a Mayan coffee in the Italian restaurant, they are more than happy to put on a show. Evening shows are great fun, Cuban singers and dancers who are very talented, look out for Boogie nights and the Rock Show, great fun.

There is a nice mix of guests at the Grand, young and old, from many countries. We met some lovely friends whilst there, Jeff and Lisa from Kansas and Anna and Tim, Stephan and Lou from England, we had some great laughs, they were all equally impressed with the hotel. Hopefully we will get to return to this lovely hotel, simply a beautiful, well run and friendly resort.

A few points that may be useful:-

Do not put key cards on top of safe or anywhere near electrical devices such as cameras, it wipes the magnet at the back, rendering them useless.

There is a wine list for all-inclusive wines as well as a list for chargeable wines, we only found this out on day 10, however all wines we were offered were generally pleasant.

Ladies may wish to take their own travel hairdryer, the ones in the bathrooms are like blow torches, I used once and it was so hot and uncomfortable, used my own after that.

We stayed in block 71 with an ocean view, very glad we did, the view from the 3rd floor was wonderful. If staying in the main block, ask for a room overlooking the tranquility pool, beautiful and peaceful.

To sum up, a stunning resort, great for couples, weddings and honeymooners, super food, attentive staff and a lovely relaxed vibe. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Having travelled extensively in Europe, Caribbean and visited Mexico 3 times previously, this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in, we always stay in 5* hotels, this truly was 5*.

Well done Iberostar, lets have a few more Grand hotels please.

Room Tip: Ocean view in block 71 or a room overlooking the Tranquility pool.
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us to the fullest.

We appreciate that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: scenic property, delicious and varied food; friendly and efficient staff and relaxing beach. We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you when next you are planning your vacation as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!