“After several weeks of research......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Indianapolis
“After several weeks of research......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

After several weeks of research, we decided to go with the Grand; I am glad we did. This review will be quite lenghty, but I hope I can eliminate some hours/days of research for someone out there reading this. Some of this review may seem very negative, but it is all relative to the amount you are paying to stay here.When you pay top dollar, you will find yourself looking at everything under a microscope.

TO BEGIN....
I would recommend USA private transfers. They are much cheaper than the transfers "included" in your vacation package. After we walked the gauntlet of cabbies/timeshare folks, USA transfers was there with a sign waiting for us. After just a few minutes of very pleasant conversation, a brand new van was there and we were off to the resort.

CHECK IN..
We were greeted with a cold towel, champagne, and manderin sours (yum). Check in was longer than expected, but not a big deal. We upgraded $60 per night for a ocean front room and had to wait a couple hours for the room to be ready. Sarari was the person that checked us in and she was very polite and friendly; she made a great first impression.

CLEANLINESS...
The resort is immaculate. Very clean, well groomed, nothing out of place. Rooms are cleaned twice a day

ROOMS...
Very nice. Bathrooms were large. Loved the view from the balcony sitting out on the swing and taking an afternoon nap. Some minor flaws like the wrong remote, old tv's, warmer room some nights, fridge seemed warm and then there is the puzzling light switches and auto lights.You have a gaziilion light switches and automatic lights that went off and on for no apparent reason....it was worth a good laugh when you were in the bathroom. All and all, very nice room and I am sure if I asked, someone would have been to the room and explained or fixed everything....no biggie.

POOL...
Great pool. Just enough activity to be fun but not spring break like. If you wanted to relax you could; if you wanted to participate in daily activities you could do that as well. The STAR FRIENDS were very nice and didn't push anyone into anything, they were there to inform everybody about the days activities.

BARS
POOL BAR
From what I saw, everything was top shelf and you didn't have to ask for it. The drinks were made perfect. Anything you wanted, they would make. Daniel at the pool bar was the best! Very nice guy and always had a smile on his face. If you didn't know what you wanted, just tell him what you liked and he would mix up something for you. We went next door to the ajoining property one day and had a drink and you could tell the difference...huge difference.

LOBBY BAR
Just a nice place to hang out and people watch after dinner. Once again, everything was top shelf. If you like to drink, you will not be dissapointed.

NIGHTLIFE
The nightlife is a bit slow at the resort, but if you know that going in you won't be dissapointed. They put on a show every night that is pretty good. A little cheesy, but they do a great job. There is a "disco" that we didn't go to, but everybody that went there said it was mostly the employees that were there. I think people go to this resort to have a good time during the day and not stay out all night like in our college days. My wife and I layed out on the beach chairs a few nights...kind of spooky because there is no one else around, but we did see security walking around a few times very discreetly.

FOOD
If there is one fault I have with the resort is the food and the service in serving the food. Don't get me wrong, the service all around at the resort is top notch, but the service at the a la cartes were pretty slow. Now, that may be the culture, but it is something I am not use to. We had to wait at least 10 minutes after being seated for a drink at most of the restaurants....and no, they were not busy. As other reviews have mentioned, the restaurants are 30% full if that, but they are always "booked". I asked about this and one of the butlers told me it was so you could have a personnal experience at dinner. Well, 10 minutes for a drink and 40 minutes for an appetizer is not my idea of a personal experience. The food is just okay. I don't know about the seafood because I am not a seafood eater, but the meat dishers were just okay. I have had better food at other places I have stayed. I guess when you spend this amount of money you expect a WOW at dinner, but I don't think you will get that. The buffets were good, not great. There are a lot of choices and they would make you anything you wanted...the Kobe beef burgers were the best! No one in our party got sick, nor did anyone that we met, so that is always a bonus. I met a meat buyer that was staying there and he explained that the meat we were eating at the Grand was the top notch you were going to get in Mexico, but it is nothing compared to what we eat here in the states. He was correct, we went to another restaurant that ajoined the property and ended back up at the buffet.The steak there was horrible and everything tasted like pork.

Our favorite was the steakhouse, followed by the Japenese. We have already discussed the next trip that we will make reservations at one or both of these places every night.

Don't let this me a deal breaker, you will find something there you like to eat. Just don't expect the best steak you have ever eaten to be here, becuse its won't be. I think that's why I was a little dissapointed, I was expecting much more.

SERVICE...

Not enough I can say here. EVERYONE has a smile on their face and are very friendly. Like other reviewers have said, it's not a fake friendly, I really believe they love working here. Everybody will go out of their way to accomodate you and make you feel welcome. If you need somethng, just ask! The Star friends were great, especially Edurado...funny guy. Carlos the waiter was one of the nicest waiters I have ever met. Most eveyone remembered you by face and some remembered you by name....very impressive. I only ran across a couple servers that were not friendly, I have to think it could be a language barrier. I noticed the staff that could speak English fairly well were always the ones that were nicer. That leads me to this...I could not believe how well eveybody spoke English, it blew me away. Some even could follow conversations we were having in slang terms....very impressive, not to mention eye opening.

CHECKOUT

Smooth, fast and no hassles. USA transfers was there 5 minutes early...I highly recommend these guys.

Other than not supplying tissue at checkout for the tears because we had to leave, this place is top notch. (LOL)

OVERALL
I will be back. I will not look for any other resort to stay at in Mexico. From my experience and asking other people, this seems like the best place to stay. We had our choice down between Secrets, Excellence, and the Grand. Funny thing is, most of the folks we talked to had their choices down to these three as well. Some people we met had been to all three, but keep coming back to the Grand year after year.

BOOK IT, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Stayed in 7105, great view. Building 71 is more queit than beachfront building 70. Building 70 has t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments on your most recent visit to our resort; we truly value your extensive feedback, we appreciated the time that you have taken as well of doing constructive comments, we are committed to listen to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I spent three nights at the Grand for a trip with a friend. Our experience was very positive overall, but there were some disappointments. The good:

Buildings and grounds: immaculate and sparkling. The outdoor grounds are lush and lovely.

Rooms: beautifully appointed and thoroughly cleaned twice daily. Maid service was great. Bathrooms and closets are huge. Beds are extremely comfortable. Balcony is very large, with comfy furniture, and the inlaid wood floors are a beautiful touch.

Service: wait service at all of the restaurants, both a la carte and buffet, was terrific. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive.

Common area bathrooms: beautifully designed, especially the sinks. I wish they would carry this design featuring natural elements (wood, inlaid river stones, etc.) throughout the hotel!

Shows: we saw the Pre-hispanic show and the Mexican folklore show, and both were outstanding. Very talented dancers!

Food: the breakfast and lunch buffets were always delicious and full of variety. I especially enjoyed the tamales at breakfast one morning, as well as the nutella crepes. Guacamole and chips at lunch couldn’t be beat.

The not so good:

Interior common spaces: the décor of most of the indoor common spaces (lobby, lobby bar, main corridors) was very unappealing to me, so much so that it frankly distracted from my experience. I like a hotel’s décor to reflect its environs, and while this hotel would feel right in Monte Carlo, it doesn’t work for coastal Mexico. But that’s just a very personal preference.

Food: most of the food at the a la carte restaurants was good but not great, and at this price point I really do expect better quality.

Beach: we found the water in front of the Grand, and down the coast all the way to Maroma Beach, to be full of seaweed. It didn’t seem to be as bad in front of the Lindo/Maya/Del Mar, but the beachfront in those areas was pretty crowded with people. So we walked down to Maroma each day and swam in front of the Maroma Resort—no seaweed and hardly any other swimmers! Don’t get me wrong, it was a wonderful walk, but it was disappointing that the water directly in front of our hotel was practically unswimmable.

Towel game: we were out by the pool by 8 am one morning and 9 am another morning and both times, we got the last of the shaded cabanas (however, we found that the least popular cabanas were the ones right by the beach with a gorgeous ocean view, so we weren’t complaining!) Late sleepers don’t have a prayer of shade by the pool.

Service: Check-in at the lobby was not great. We were told they were checking on our room and to have a seat, so we sat for at least 30 minutes before we inquired again, and they seemed surprised, as if they had forgotten about us even though we had been sitting right there in front of them. They still did not know if the room was ready so we (not they) suggested that we go get lunch and then check back. It seemed very disorganized. Also, no one ever mentioned the butler service and we didn’t ever see a butler. Which is fine for us, as we are not types who like to be fussed over, and we really didn’t need anything special, but it seems inconsistent based on other reviews we have read.

Perhaps my biggest critique of the hotel is that they ought to make more of their beautiful outdoor spaces, or even the wonderful atrium by the lobby. Why couldn’t the atrium be the lobby bar? So much more pleasant than the sterile and tacky lobby bar space now! They do have a few tables outside near the silver shop, but sometimes there was no bar service out there. Same with outdoor tables at the a la carte restaurants—Venecia was the only place we could eat outside, even though Toni’s and L’Atelier had outdoor tables (unset) with great ocean views! When you are so close to the sights and sounds of the Caribbean Sea, why not let your guests enjoy it as much as possible? La Brisa would make a great indoor/outdoor bar space at night.

In sum, we had a very good experience, but I would not hurry back to this property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We will certainly take your suggestions into consideration as we try to improve every day.

We apologize that your experience was less than favorable and assure you that we are looking into the matter further, concerning butler service, we are terrible concerned about it because it is one of our strength and normally people leave the hotel just adoring them.

Nevertheless, we are pleased to hear that despite having this issue, you were able to enjoy your stay with us. We hope to host you again in the near future!

We thank you again for your comments.

Warmest Regards

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We visited Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso from May 27 to April 3rd, loved it!
Previously also visited Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana and loved it too!

When I was thinking about the proper title for this review “tranquil & grand” reflected a proper ambiance of this place. Thus, our vacation was very peaceful and relaxing thanks to a very attentive resort staff, as well as resort set up and atmosphere.

Food and drinks were excellent for this caliber of resort and a nice long beach was a great bonus as we loved our morning walks.

We were staying in building #70 on the second floor right in front of the swimmable beach. Building #71 is a bit more isolated, and less swimmable and even more peaceful.

We’ve noticed that on the less windy days water becomes very clear and very pleasurable to swim. I guess, if you get lucky with the weather you will really enjoy the beach and that’s why you see controversial reviews sometimes. Some people experienced nice and calm waters when others could not swim because of the high winds and not clear waters. We had both, so we spent lots of time in the water on the calm days and less time bouncing on the waves on the windy days. If you are a pool person you’ll enjoy resort’s pool as it is quite large, open to the beach and does have great activates.

As I mentioned staff at this resort is great, we had a very good service at the reception, bars and restaurants. Would like to acknowledge a great concierge team in our building – thank you Eugenia and Olivia – your work ethics and your attentiveness to all small details made our vacation very special!

We’ve met a number of great people at the Grand – special “hi” to Sean and Linda from UK. Congrats again to your PADI certification Sean! Hopefully you will enjoy amazing dives all around the world.

This is another bonus to stay at the Iberostar as a PADI Dive Center (Dressel Divers International Club) located next door to the Iberostar Maya (about 5 min walk on the beach from the Iberostar Grand) and you can get your certification right there. TIP: If you do not want to devote all week taking PADI Open Water course you still can get a “PADI Scuba Diving Certificate” (takes about three days), otherwise plan on longer (a week?) if you will decide on the “PADI Open Water Certificate”.

This is a great resort if you are looking for a peaceful retreat from your busy lifestyle. At the same time you can enjoy various activities if you decide to do so.

Tripadvisor reviews helped us to choose this resort, so thank you everyone who contributed.

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Top floor if it's available (better view and no noise from above)
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso and for sharing your experience with the Tripdavisor community. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you for your comments in regard the resort service & facilities.

We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to acheive the upmost level in customer satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an, hopefully, another enjoyable stay with us.

Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Overall had a good time at this resort. But I had high expectations because of great reviews and high price, and those expectations were not met. My observations:
Grand: 1)Property and rooms were top-notch. Bedding was very comfortable. Maid service, excellent. 2) Upon arrival, butler asked us if we had liquor preferences. Bottles of both choices were delivered to room quickly. He also lowered the temperature in our room and it stayed at that comfortable temperature our entire visit. 3) Golf course was very nice. Two free rounds, all in, no hidden fees. We paid for rented clubs and had a fun time. 4) Of course, there were a few employees that stood out. Letitia in the Japanese restaurant and Osiris in the Italian were fantastic. 5) Pool bar and restaurant bar did a splendid job.
Bland: 1) Despite wonderful initial service, never saw the butler again. Concierge was aways busy. Asked them two questions and they directed us to front desk both times. 2)Buffet food was hit or miss. A la carte restaurants went for show, more than quality and taste. 3)This was marketed as an Expedia VIP Access resort, but no one at check in had a clue what that was. 4) Lunch service at the buffet near beach was shoddy. 5) We requested and were granted checkout at 1 pm. At noon, we got a call from front desk imploring us to leave. A second call came shortly thereafter. We went down at 1. They said nothing. 6) I have been to over a dozen resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, but nowhere was the towel game as rampant as it was here. I was down at pool every morning by 7 and there were no vacant sunbeds or covered chairs. Nor were there any people there. Just a bunch of towels, sandals, and books.
Probably won't try this resort again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write a comment of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.com.

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced whilst staying with us. We at Iberostar Grand Paraiso understand the importance of fulfilling our guest’s expectations and it concerns me greatly that you have departed our shores with a negative impression.

I was most concern to read about your comment in regards to staff and service of our resort. Please allow me to take your comments with all its points and use it as training and learning exercise for our personnel to ensure fine tuning is made for the future. Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to department heads responsible for the areas where your valuable feedback highlighted the need for improvements and accordingly they will follow up with our staff in an effort to improve our product and service standard.

Total customer satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to your constructive feedback and comments that we are able to maintain and further improve on our service standards.

In closing I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We really hope to have another opportunity to recover your confidence in our resort.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in August 2011 and although it's taken me a while to write this review, I can honestly say it was one of the best vacations we have ever had!!

I was worried I would have an issue with the food as I have a sensitive stomach; however, I didn't experience any problems during our stay. We really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant as well as the Kobe beef burgers at the lunch buffet!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful and very clean.
The service was impeccable and the staff were very friendly. Our room was clean and well kept. We only had one issue (the shower door broke) and after one quick call, it was repaired immediately.
The nightly shows were entertaining with something different every night. If you are a night person, the hotel doesn't offer much after 11:00 p.m.;however, you can easily take a quick golf cart over to one of the other neighbouring hotels for drinks at the disco.
The beach was amazing although the water was a little rough at times. We NEVER had to worry about finding chairs at the pool or beach area as the grand has it's own exclusive pool and beach area.
All in all it was a fantastic trip and we wouldn't hesitate to go back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for taking the time to write your comments, it is never too late to express your opinion about your past stay.

It is important to take seriously the fact that one person has stomach issues or food limitations since the beginning , we are pleased to know that you enjoyed the Japanese food. Our staff’s goal is to keep the top service, accommodation and facilities to its best and let you take pleasure of it making you feel in paradise.

We hope to see you in a nearest future and keep improving your big memories with us.

Sunny regards,

Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Having just returned from our ocean front suite, we cannot praise this place highly enough. The suite, food and drinks, beach, restuarants and most importantly, the level of service were all genuinely 5 star. We enjoyed a wonderful,experience where unusually the reality superceded the brochure. All the staff were genuinely courteous and friendly and went out of their way to offer everything to make our stay so good, even beyond our expectations. An example of this was when we returned from dinner soaked due to a tropical storm, we were met by staff with hot towels and in the morning no evidence of the storm remained.The interior marble floors and frescoes were stunning

Room Tip: Ocean Front 1st floor suite is a must. The views from the balcony were superb
Hewlett, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

The service was impeccable. The place is gorgeous and super clean. We had a suite with ocean view and it was absolutely fabulous. Butler Service was great. Everyone is so friendly! We went January 2009 and February 2010. Definitely Go!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing to return to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso again and sharing your review, we look forward to welcome you back for third time.

Best regards,

Quality Manager

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!