“Third time a charm!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Tomball, Texas
“Third time a charm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We just returned from our third trip to the beautiful Grand Paraiso resort. Back when I took my second trip in ’08, you weren’t allowed to write second reviews of the same resort. We stayed at the resort back in ’07 when it was brand new and fell in love with it. We went back in ’08 and had horrible weather the entire time, and even the hotel as great as it is, couldn’t compete with the weather, and I came home miserable. It took us three years to get it together to come back, thanks to work, moving, a honeymoon for my daughter, and just life in general.

We stayed in a corner suite of building 70. This is our second stay in this building. Our stay in ’08 was a third floor room. Our first stay was in building 71, where we had a first floor room. The higher the room, the better the oceanfront views, although I have to say, this last room, being on the second floor, blew the other two away.

The room was clean and presentable inside, however the balcony balustrades were literally falling apart. A rather larger piece of concrete fell off of one and the others had huge vertical cracks. I noticed the concrete work of several areas in the resort in dire need of repair. I don’t think any of it is reinforced – just plaster. This is something I definitely do not remember from ’08. Outdoor lighting was missing in areas as well, however this looks deliberate. I’m assuming that they’re replacing them in sections. The Grand buildings are about as oceanfront as they get, so they understandably take a lot of wear and tear from Mother Nature. The resort is still beautiful though, but it’s starting to need attention.

As usual, the employees here are top-notch. Iberostar could give courses to other corporations, on how to treat guests. They are such a friendly bunch of people, and will go out of their way to make you happy. I know they make so little, which is a shame considering how hard they work. You want to tip these people. It’s a pleasure to do so. The grounds are kept spotless, as are the common areas of the building. Housekeeping was great as well.

A lot is said of the beach in the Playa Paraiso complex, and I have no clue why some of it is negative. The beach is clean, and gorgeous. You will find very little seaweed here, and what little does wash ashore in the morning, is very quickly raked up. It never seems to reappear. Water can be playfully rough; however we had one very calm day. The beach has been cleaned up of rocks, from Paraiso to Maroma, and it makes for a very nice walk. There are some low, flat boulders, which are dead coral, but they’re few and far between, and they create a natural barrier to erosion.

The resort was at 100% occupancy when we arrived, and beach palapas were gone every day by 10:00am. Pools aren’t my thing, so I’m not sure what the situation was there. I saw lots of people saving them early in the morning, however they were used. People usually started vacating them around 2:00pm and never returned. I got up one morning at around 5:00am, walked down at 6:00am, and I wasn’t the only one wandering around placing items on the chairs. In my case, I planted my rear end in mine, and only got up to eat breakfast, attend the cooking class, and eat lunch. I stayed there until dusk.

We ate at all of the restaurants with the exception of the gourmet. We had the best meals yet, at both Toni’s (double cut filet for me, rib eye for my husband) and Haiku (shrimp and lobster for us both). The Italian restaurant was just okay this time, however they did create a special meal for me. I love their grilled shrimp and asparagus, and they made a dish that included this, as well as other grilled veggies.

The buffets are just okay in our opinion. The omelet station is great though. One of my major complaints though, is one that was there during our first trip, had been corrected for the second, but was back again this time: missing labels on the buffet dishes. I would like to know what I’m eating. My only other complaint is in regards to the breakfast buffet. Getting coffee (which isn’t as good as I remember), is like pulling teeth. Very frustrating. We’d sit there at times for over ten minutes before receiving attention.

Drinks were as good as always. My husband got turned on to Sangrita chasers and I drank pretty much whatever I felt like. I had a couple of bottles of Chilean Chardonnay delivered to my room that was pretty good.

The shows that we went to were great. We saw the magic show (I got hauled up on stage again) and Boogie Nights. Stars Under the Stars was probably awesome, but when it started to rain pre-show, we went underneath a pool canopy and I fell asleep. Ooops.

The golf course was great as usual. It kicked my husband’s rear and he used to play on a team. He’s good, but it’s a tough course. Beautiful to look at! He brought his own shoes and balls, and paid $40 for clubs.

We took one excursion to Xplor (see my separate review), but other than that, we stayed inside of the complex. There’s just so much to do, it’s hard to leave!

I’ll end with mentioning some of our favorite employees at the resort. Victor – the most awesome butler, Rene – the most awesome waiter (Toni’s), Leticia – the most awesome waitress (Haiku) and Olivia – the chef that seems to be everywhere, every day. You all made our trip more than we expected it could ever be and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Room Tip: Higher floors will afford better views, although all rooms with the exception of select categories a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Polish first
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My girlfriend and I went as a group of 35 or so for a wedding that she was in. Compared to other all inclusive places via Apple Vacation this place was very expensive. Was it worth it? That's a question that is answered on a case by case basis. I love to eat and am a social drinker. I feel the price was worth it but honestly not sure how much longer my body could have handled all of the food and liquor :) My only 2 complaints on this place was that the main pool (one with bar) was freezing cold the whole week and the rocks on the beach. We all joked about finding the SOB that was dumping leftover ice in the pool afterhours. The pool was also salt water which was different from any other that i've been in. The beach was excellent except for a 30 yard or so section in the center of the beach with rocks. I'm assuming they are there for looks, pics, etc but just not my thing. The waters were pretty choppy with Red Flags out most of our trip so we didn't spend much time in.

I would say this place has been the most accomidating of any all inclusive properties i have visited. Staying here you are able to go to the 3 other sister properties of which we checked out the Maya once but just to see the wave pool and lazy river.

Food - I though the food was really good. The Restaurants for dinner that require reservations were excellent. We ate at Toni's, The Le Gourmet, and Japanese place. All were excellent. At Toni's i recommended the flaming coffee & Fried Ice Cream Dessert. At the Gourmet I highly recommend the Fillet with Bacon/Potatoe. At the Japanese place I recommend the fried rice & Beef Fillet along with the Fried Banana dessert. Don't be shy and request multiple desserts if you want them :) Once you do I can bet your family/friends will to. That was my expreience at least.

For breakfast we ate at the buffet every morning. I liked the omlette's, banana nutella crepes, fresh made doughnuts, etc and fresh juices. There are 100s of options but these were the ones i ended up going with! I almost forgot I recommend the Cappuccino's!

For lunch the first day we tried the buffet (same place as breakfast & dinner buffet) and the rest of the trip we ate at the place only open for lunch that backs up to the beach. I would recommend it over the buffet. It's a buffet but you can also order kobe beef burgers, fajitis, shrimp, lobster, steak, etc. We loved the fajitis. I would grab a plate from the buffet and order fajitis. For dessert I always went with the ice cream!

For Dinner as mentioned we hit the restaurants. We never tried the dinner buffet. We used room service once which was good.

Liquor -
This is the first time i've been to an all inclusive that had this selection of top shelf known liquors. They still had the standard mexico flamingo stuff but you can specifically call out the liquor you want. I used this opportunit to try a bunch of liquor i have heard of but never tried. The butler when we checked in asked for specific stuff we would like for the mini fridge. I struck out on IPA beer so settled on Negra Modelo and absolute. They stocked the fridge with it as well as brought us a new bottle of Absolute for the room. If you like chocolate and bananas i recommend the dirty monkey drink. We requested Grey Goose Vodka for it and it was really good. They go down easy so best to order 2! For a dessert drink the usual Baileys as well as a drink called Tom Cherry there which taste like a liquid vanilla pudding.

Pool Bar - We spent a lot of time at the pool bar. Daniel & Humberto were awesome. If they don't have it they get it. I tried more frozen drinks than i can list and all were good. After meeting up with another group that were there for a wedding we learned about a shot called Purple MF'er. Not sure what was in it but it's purple and tasted pretty good. I would recommend it. As far as Tequila shots we prefered the Don Julio anjeo over anything we tried there. If you are a black liquorice fan try the Pernod. I though it was absenth but it wasn't. Not my thing but i've tried it now.

Lobby Bar - This was probably my favorite bar in the place as i liked the atmosphere and the fact you could have a few drinks then even it out with a cap or latte. The popcorn they bring out in bowls was good also.

Dinner Drinks - The restaurants offer full drink bars including shots.

Misc / Spa - Since the main pool was super cold we at times utilized the indoor heated pool which was awesome. It's located in the spa building. There are 2 hot tubs (one on each end of the pool). This building also has a Dry & Steam Sauna located within the changing rooms.

Overall I really liked this property. They go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you want and need. The wedding turned out beautiful and the resort photographer was excellent. Very impressed both the pics as well as the slide show they put together.

Final thoughs. Would i stay here again. Yes

Room Tip: I personally don't go to these places for the rooms :) The room was excellent and we also got t...
Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We were upgraded to the Iberostar Grand upon our arrival for free. The Grand is very much a great place for honeymooners or couples. Quiet, full service anytime of day. Service on the beach. With this stay we had access to all the Iberostar properties. I was travelling with a friend so we weren't much into the nightlife ourselves but it would be an excellent place for couples or honeymooners looking to relax by the pool or on the beach. Very quiet, not a lot of vendor interuptions on the beach. Please tip your server on the beach regularily though - it must be terribly hot to walk up in down in their hotel uniform every day for a few dollars here and there! The buffet was better than the a la cartes I found but to each their own. It's not like there wasn't plenty of everything.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Bluffdale, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is a long overdue review. My hubby an have been twice to the Grand. It's by far the best all inclusive vacation we have taken. Yes, the pools are kind of cold in Feb, oh well, still love this place. We hope to go back one day.

PS: We went Feb of 2009 & 2010.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Lanexa, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Our travel agent recommended this place since we wanted an all inclusive that included golf and this place delivered, mostly. The property is breathtaking from the moment you walk in, everything is immaculate and the staff is very friendly, without seeming forced. Service, for the most part was outstanding. There were a few glitches in the buffet dining room when the staff didn't seem to know who was supposed to wait on us. We were in a villa with butler service and again there were a few requests we made that weren't met in a timely fashion. The restaurants did not live up to our expectations. The breakfast and lunch buffets were wonderful, but don't bother with the evening buffet service. We tried it twice and it was a disappointment each time; a lesson to get your specialty restaurant reservations early. We did eat at the Gourmet restaurant (which is gourmet in name only), Japanese restaurant (sushi was mushy and entrees were more like Chinese), and the Italian, which was the star of the show in our opinion. We had the best risotto and ravolis ever. Golf course was spectular and in Augusta-like condition and worth the trip. Three georgous pools, including an beautiful indoor pool. A-one liquor brands. Only downside was the food--but not enough to keeps us from returning.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a villa, which was spectacular, however we did ask to see a typical room in case...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

My husband and I and our grown-up children stayed at the Iberostar Grand, us for two weeks and the kids for one (October 25-November 8, 2011). We had a wonderful time, thanks to the impeccable service of all the staff. I particularly want to thank the concierge and the butler in Building 74. I was there for my 65th birthday, and they made sure there was a bottle of champagne and a yummy chocolate mousse (one serving, but two forks!) Rose petals had been strewn down the hallway and on the bed, where there were two swans made of towels. The jacuzzi tub had been filled with bubbles and also rose petals. A lovely surprise!

After the kids left, my husband had us upgraded to an ocean-front room. They didn't have exactly what we requested the first night, but again, the concierge and butler in Building 70 went out of their way to get us the perfect room, with a beautiful view of the ocean.

The younger adults spent most of their time at the large salt water pool and had a great time. My husband and I preferred the serenity pool, which is lovely and quiet, and there's always lots of room. A special thank-you to Myrna for looking after our drinks and making sure we were happy and relaxed!

While there, Hurricane Rina hit land in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera. Again, the staff took this in their stride and were well prepared. The morning after, the lobbies and walk-throughs were full of buckets and mops due to the glass ceilings leaking. Within 24 hours everything was cleaned up and dry. The staff must have worked tirelessly to make this happen ... we went out of our way to thank everyone while we were there, but I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you again.

My husband has asked me to mention that he loved the golf course (included in the all-inclusive package when staying at the Grand). Again, the staff did an amazing job of cleaning up after the hurricane, and they were always friendly and helpful.

We stayed at this hotel about three years ago, and would definitely love to come back again.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are wonderful, but a bit isolated from the restaurants (and they are more expen...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We have been to several properties in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area, and this was by far our favorite. My wife and I were looking for a quiet palce to get away from our busy lives, but not so quiet that you would be bored after a few days. We found it at this hotel. There is enough space around the pools and beaches that you don't feel that you are right on top of everybody else, the spa was nice, and the excercise area was adequate for a resort. The food was a little shy of our expectations, but well above average.

Room Tip: An ocean view room is worth the extra price
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!