“Nice, but not what was expected.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Bedford, TX
“Nice, but not what was expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I returned yesterday from this resort and I write this review with a somewhat heavy heart because I had such great expectations. This is partially my fault since as an experienced all inclusive traveler, I know not to set the bar too high. Unfortunately, I did just that. We are mid 40's, social and enjoy traveling with friends and meeting new ones. We normally travel 2-3 times a year to Mexico, mostly PDC, sometimes Cancun and always all inclusive and always, always all adult. One of our choice times to travel is late Sept/early Oct and have never seen such low occupancy at a resort (30% was the highest during our 8 night stay).

After a fabulous ride provided by Lomas Travel via stretch SUV limo with champagne and Corona's, arriving about 1pm, we were greeted by the bellman, received a wet cloth that smelled wonderful, taken to the front desk where we were told our rooms weren't ready, shuffled to the lobby bar where we sat for about 45 mins before I finally asked why we hadn't at least been given bands so that we could have lunch or go to the pool while we waited. It felt like we were an afterthought to the front desk. (Strike 1) Only 2 restaurants were opened each night, both requiring reservations. This is never a problem for me as long as there is a buffet or "walk in" al la carte available should we decide to not be a on a timeline that day and don't care to eat via room service. The buffet was only available 2 of our 8 nights. (Strike 2) We stayed in room 7140, 2nd floor beachfront jacuzzi suite. Loved the room but wasn't a fan of the bathroom at all. I prefer a vanity/dressing area separate from the lav/shower area and I wasn't impressed with the mustard yellow walls and gray tile with dark gray grout....it just looked dirty all the time even though I knew it had just been cleaned. Plain and simple I just didn't like the style of decor, so it's really nothing more than a personal preference, but a HUGE preference that had a lot of impact. (Strike 3).

With the fussing out of the way, on to the great things. I can't say enough good things about the food. It was prepared well, presented well and tasted wonderful. The entire staff was a pleasure to be around. Martin at breakfast and lunch was like my own personal server. He went out of his way to escort me to my table each morning and afternoon and made me feel special and I liked that very much. Humberto and Eli at the pool bar, Perfecto at the lobby bar and Agustine with the Star Friends all did a superb job of providing excellent service with awesome personalities. The nightly shows were very good, the landscaping the prettiest I've seen and the maintenance/ground keeping staff were constantly busying themselves with ensuring that the buildings and vegetation were kept nice and tidy. The maid service was always timely and easy to work with if we wanted our room cleaned at a certain time and the concierge/bellboy service was very helpful as well. Quick note: there is no wifi in the room so you can't connect your cell phones to it unless you're by the lobby, however if you bring a laptop they will give you a cable for a direct connect to their network in your suite.

All in all my vacation was great and if you don't have issues with the same things that I took issue with, then this is probably a resort that you would return to many times.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
Dublin Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We visited the Iberostar Grand for our honeymoon (7 nights). We had the ocean front Jr. suite and let me say that the view and the weather was amazing (No rain for 8 days = lucky). There are so many great things I can say, but to keep it short i'll summarize what I consider the highlights. First the staff was very helpful and was always trying to find ways that they could help us enjoy our trip a little more. As a couple of mid westerners we probably didn't utilize the butler service as much as we could have, but the few things we asked they were excellent. Next i'd like to comment on the food as there are a lot of negative comments. For us the food was amazing. As someone else said, its not like every meal was the new best thing you've ever ate, but trust me when I say it is all really good. My wife is a picky eater and we've had some bad food experiences in the Dominican so I think I can safely say that the food here can accommodate anyone, absolutely no problem for her, and no one was sick in any way. To start you can order good room service 24 hours a day, in addition to that there was a breakfast and lunch buffet that were both great. As for dinner, we went during the low season, so for us reservations were very easy to come by and we were able to eat there every night. Even one night when we arrived home late from an excursion, we simply asked the host and she made a last minute adjustment to allow us to change to a later time. We were able to eat at 8:30 or 9:00 every night. After dinner make sure to check out some of the shows, these are fantastic, a big upgrade from what we have seen at other resorts. Overall we had a great time, and find it really hard to believe that anyone would rate this so low. Honestly, this is probably one of the best all inclusive resorts in the world so if you can't enjoy yourself here you probably should just stay home.

Monticello, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Traveled September 12-17. We had been booked at the Iberostar Del Mar and upon check-in we upgraded to the Grand. This was a trip for our 10 year anniversay. Check-in was smooth as can be and the Front Desk Staff were excellent. Definately try the Mandarin Sour given during check-in.

Stayed in a regular room, not ocean view. The room was beautiful! The bathroom was large with a 2 person jaccuzi tub and two sinks. The bed was by far the most comfortable bed we have had in Mexico. After so many trips to Mexico you just sort of expect that "hard" matress. Slept great!

Restaurants-Surf and Turf we loved! Habachi was excellent! The buffet was also great. Loved how you could still order off a Menu while dining on the buffet. Martin at the buffet was an excellent waiter!

Bars-swim up bar was a lot of fun! Wish it would have stayed open a little later then 6 o'clock. As with any swim up bar you are going to find those people that never get out of the pool if you know what I mean. Really enjoyed the Lobby Bar. They have a selection of 20 different beers! Top shelf liquor flowed freely. The drinks most certainly aren't watered down! Wish I could remember the bar tenders name-he was awesome! If you need any suggestions for drinks, just ask! He made me something different than the normal frozen concoctions.

Beach-Georgous! Fine white sand and clear water! Watch out for the coral, there are some patches spread out in the water. The water is so clear though that if you pay attention, you can stay away from the rocks. The beach waiter was also excellent. Second day we were there, we came up to our chairs after swimming in the ocean to a bucket of XX! He was very attentive! We also ordered food one day and just ate on the beach!

Spa-we took one day and did massages. They were not the best nor the worst. Just middle of the road and seemed to be very expensive. I would not do a massage at this resort again.

By far the best resort was have stayed. We have been to the Dreams Tulum & Puerto Aventuras along with a handful of other resorts. Just loved the customer service at the Grand. Can't wait for a return trip sometime in the future! If this is one of the resorts you are contemplating-BOOK IT! You won't be disappointed!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Just got back from a week at the Iberostar Grand (9-16 to 9-23). The beach was amazing. Choppy the first two days but nothing to be alarmed with. We still went into the water. As for the remainder of the week, the beach was just spectacular.

The hotel was all about opulence. Service from waiters, staff...were always courteous. These people were definitely there to make your vacation a great one. The butler service is more of a "huhhhh" but it is nice to have, although we did not use ours very much. Grounds were WOWWWW. Clean, beautiful, well groomed and maintained....not one bad word to say here.

As for the food, I can't believe some people complained about it. There was always something to eat. It did get very boring and repetitive after the 5th day....but that's the concept of all all inclusive. The choice was pretty extensive but it's normal that one would exhaust even the best buffets after several days of eating there. The A la Carte restaurants were not real gourmet but I was also expecting that from an all inclusive. Can't say I was disappointed at the lower finesse of the food since I did not expect these restaurants to be serving high end dishes. Eatable but if you do not expect real gourmet, then you will not be disappointed.

Our room faced the spa and although it was an upgrade to an ocean view (a free upgrade by the way), it was NOT a real ocean view. We had to stand on the balcony ramp, be ready to fall down in order to see the ocean. I would NOT have paid for this kind of upgrade. However, the room was great, centrally located and very pretty-comfy.

This was the BEST all inclusive we've ever been to and will definitely go back next year, same time (the occupancy rate was appx 20%).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Even though we loved our 1st visit (Apr 15-20, 2011), our 2nd was somehow even more spectacular! We stayed Sep 16-22, so we are just back. Here's the breakdown (hope it's not too long):

Arrival: it is the off season so it was not crowded - luggage came quickly - customs line went quickly- nobody bothered us walking through. We found our Olympus Tour rep easily (they are the ones wearing the orange shirts). We only made one stop at another hotel before we were dropped off. This does not bother us as we find it interesting to see at least the entrance of other properties.

Check in: quick and easy - try the mandarin sours for your check in welcome beverage!

Room: we booked an oceanfront room and had an unobstructed view from our balcony (no palm trees in front of the balcony). We were on the second floor in building 71, which is the oceanfront building on the left of the main pool. Room was cool, quiet, clean, and comfy. Same as last time.

Butler: There still seems to be some confusion about this service. Here is my 2 cents: on our first visit, we were wondering if the "butler service" would be similar to what is advertised at a Sandals resort. We were thinking (although we have not stayed at a Sandals) that it means a butler is "assigned" to your room and is sort of always "milling around", even willing to unpack and/or repack for you. We were not sure if we even wanted this to be the case. The impression we have from our two visits is that the butler is more or less the "runner" and will go and get things, whereas the concierge officially takes the request at the desk but does not necessarily leave the desk. She more or less takes the phone calls while the butler does the delivering. Of course, especially during lower occupancy, this is not set in stone. Our experience on this visit was that all we needed to do was open our door and we would see some employee nearby and we just told them what we needed (extra washcloths and extra bottled water). I don't think that the butlers necessarily are supposed to keep coming by your room to see if you need anything. But this was not a problem for us because they were always available either by phone or in person. Plus the room temp was set prior to check in to what we had asked for on our first visit as well as our refrigerator being stocked as before. They keep a record. So that's just my 2 cents regarding butler service.

Food: OK, here we go. We liked the food on the first visit just fine. It was good. Granted, we didn't say "wow - that was the best [fill in the blank] I've ever had", but it was still very good. Plus, since it was our first visit to Mexico, we wanted to take it easy on our unaccustomed stomachs. However, on this trip, we thought the food was a step up from the last visit. Hot food was piping hot, always done the way we asked (although that was true the first time too). Not sure about the previous comment about steaks not being thick enough. I always order the filet mignon when I get steak and it looked the way a filet should. And I could cut it with my fork. We saw them constantly replacing foods that were sitting out. We did not get sick at all on either trip. All cold items were chilled. Breads, etc., were very, very fresh tasting. We were quite pleased.

Music: I've seen a lot of comments about this, although maybe not lately. We were not that crazy about the music on the first visit but this time it seemed like they have improved on it. We had nice dinner music while in the restaurants (Sinatra, oldies, etc.). At the pool it was more upbeat. There were Mexican tunes mixed in at both venues.

Pools: We spent every day on the first trip at the main pool (except one day at the beach - more on that later). This time we made it a point to visit the quiet pool. The quiet pool is very quiet with the exception of being in or near the two jacuzzis at either end. It's hard to hear over the sound of the jets (as is to be expected) so you have to talk a little louder. This may bother those who are on the chairs around the pool just a bit, but the quiet pool is still really quiet. Most of the folks are there because they want peace and quiet. But it's nice to meet folks, too, so you end up chatting just a bit. But there wasn't any ball throwing or shouting as mentioned in previous posts. The main pool is really a lot of fun. They have a different activity every 30 minutes or so. They don't announce it over any loudspeaker which is nice. They will walk around and quietly ask if you are interested or not. We love the Star Friends. They are just the sweetest people. There were also posts with concerns about the cleanliness of the main pool because it is salt water. Not sure how it is maintained but I can say that they come around periodically and check the water with some apparatus. We never thought that the pool was unsanitary. Plus they are always scrubbing the sides, railings, steps, etc. There was also a post about the infinity edge not looking the way it should. The water was overflowing over the side the way an infinity pool should. They were replacing some tiles while we were there but it did not interrupt the water flow over the edge.

Exchange Privileges: We only visited the Lindo one evening before dinner. They had some vendors there selling jewelry, key chains, etc. The prices seemed pretty good. We also stopped by some of the gift shops at the Lindo. We had visited the lobby bar with the aquarium on our last visit. We didn't make it over to the Maya this time, although last time we did visit the snake bar in the lobby.

Beach: absolutely beautiful. But we never made it down there this visit! We were having too much fun on land. Last visit we went one day but it was very hot while we were there in April and after a while we wanted to go back to the pool. Plus we felt like we were missing something (LOL).

Last but not least: we celebrated a birthday while on this visit. The Star Friends sang Happy Birthday at the main pool (over the microphone) plus we had the grand service in the room which was balloons, chilled champagne, rose petals on the bed, bathroom floor, and in the jacuzzi tub on top of a bubble bath. It is such a nice and thoughtful touch.

Those are pretty much the highlights. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to provide my opinion. First timers, newbies, don't hesitate to ask. We were once in your shoes!

Room Tip: If you want a great view and easy beach access, go for an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Bernardino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel and resort with an amazing customer and management service, It's a dream come true!, my wife and I visited this incredible resort last June with a group of friends, and we had nothing but excellent service, the staff is really very friendly and they make you fell in paradise. The quality and variety of the food, the concept, "all inclusive", it's something very special that we really enjoy a lot. We like the activities specially in or around the main pool, (you have to see and enjoy this pool!), specially the night we dance and meet with all the staff and the rest of the guess of the resort, was a great party, unforgettable night!
Thanks Iberostar!, Thanks to all the staff, specially the manager for such a great hospitality and a great job , you are making us to come back again. see you next year !!!

Room Tip: For your next visit to this resort I will say you to stay at a junior suite beach front, simply ama...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011 via mobile

Went here for our Honeymoon, and it was the greatest. Our room was the ocean front Jr suite.! If you have a chance it is highly recommended! We originally were staying for 7 days, however our flight got canceled and we had to extend the stay five more wonderful Days!:) When we first arrived to the hotel, we were greeted with a very warm welcome! The staff was very friendly and room service was fabulous. Food was great, and the Star Friends are great entertainment. We are planning our next trip to return in May.!! This is a place for a Prince and Princess. You get new sheets everyday and clean towels three times daily.
We truly appreciate all the Butlers and bellboys. Victor our butler was great on providing prompt service.! Nothing was impossible for him to
help you with. He even asked if we would like help packing. The bellboys, Christian and Antonio were very helpful providing information of tourism! Very friendly people, and we look forward to going back! They made you feel like home. And Daniel the bar tender was funny and made your drinks extra strong, as he said" You are on vacation and you are not driving" Thank you to all the staff, and can't wait to return! This Homeymoon will be an everlasting memory! Nothing was impossible! This resort does not know the word "No".

Mrs. & Mr. Cavaliere

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!